1/13/2016

[the_ipod_group] Digest Number 1494

1 Message

Digest #1494

Message

Tue Jan 12, 2016 8:29 am (PST) . Posted by:

riroadmap

I just wrapped up a 3 day battle with my 160 G 6th generation iPod classic.
Until recently the device worked fine but I ran into random connects and disconnects one which occurred during an upgrade and restore. During the restore, the iPod disconnected and became inaccessible. The iPod would randomly reboot


The fisrt thing was to replace the USB cable. The random connects and disconnects went away but the ipod was still not viable in DEVICE MANAGER or DISK MANAGEMENT on my Windows 8.1/64 bit PC.


But after all of this I suspected the problem might be the battery. I forgot some of my old school training being an electronics field tech for Motorola.


Normally a good ipod will trickel charge at about 11 milliamps (.01 amps). But on some computers the USB ports can be insufficient to charge a fully discharged iPod. So I put the iPod on my powered external USB hub and from 11 ma on the PC port at 5.25 volts, the charge current went to 330 ma (.3 amps). I left it to chargee with iTunes open and after 12 hours, the connect sound went off and the iPod was visible in iTunes.


I was able to upgrade and do a full rerstore which allowed me to sync with my library.


The point here is this: The iPod does not run off the DC on the USB cable but runs on the battery. A discharged battery will barely allow the UARTS on the USB interface to barely operate causing the connection to fail. Also a badly discharged batter will not allow the microprocessor to work and not allow the screen to display since the back light will not work. So unless the iPod was dropped, it would be safe to assume a battery issue. Use the wall charger and a new cable to insure the ipod gets fully charged. DO NOT RELY ON YOUR COMPUTER.