12/02/2016

[the_ipod_group] Digest Number 1507

2 Messages

Digest #1507
1a
iTune Libraries by "DON MILLER" cordgrass@bellsouth.net
1b
Re: iTune Libraries by "bj" jblair44

Messages

Thu Dec 1, 2016 3:49 pm (PST) . Posted by:

"DON MILLER" cordgrass@bellsouth.net

Maybe someone in one of these groups has the simple answer.  My desk top crashed but I have data backup to work with.  I have installed iTunes on my new laptop and want to load all the music and videos I had on the former machine onto the new one.  There has to be a file somewhere in my back up data I can attach to the new iTunes program I can begin to use.  Any suggestions?
Don

Thu Dec 1, 2016 9:44 pm (PST) . Posted by:

"bj" jblair44

Hi Don,
I've been through this (more than once) and it can be easy or horrible
depending on what kind of backup you have.

These are some sources that may help you, depending on your situation --

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204318
How to move your iTunes library to a new computer

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201625
Manage and back up your iTunes media library

http://help.apple.com/itunes/win/10.5.1/#itns3230
Move items to another computer

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201553
moving from PC to Mac

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204668
Locate and organize your iTunes media files
Learn where to find, how to move, and how to organize your iTunes media
files.

If you don't have the "library files" but you have all the data files
(music, videos, books, etc) you can import them into the new (blank) iTunes
library. But you won't have all your old playlists.

ISTR that on one of my move-to-new-PC events -- when I had the complete
backup from the old one, that I just copied the entire directory (from my
backup) to the correct spot on the new PC, having first moved the
new-iTunes-installation-library (which was blank) to the desktop (to be
deleted later). You can see what file names to look for in the new iTunes
installation to see if you have them in your backup.

I hope this helps.
Good Luck!
Blair Jones

From: DON MILLER cordgrass@bellsouth.net [the_ipod_group]
Sent: Thursday, December 1, 2016 2:04 PM
To: IPOD GROUP ; IPad Group
Subject: [the_ipod_group] iTune Libraries

Maybe someone in one of these groups has the simple answer. My desk top
crashed but I have data backup to work with. I have installed iTunes on my
new laptop and want to load all the music and videos I had on the former
machine onto the new one. There has to be a file somewhere in my back up
data I can attach to the new iTunes program I can begin to use. Any
suggestions?

Don