7/23/2014

[the_ipod_group] Digest Number 1452

1 Message

Digest #1452
1a
Re: can't send mail by "david smith" dvdcsmth

Message

Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:31 pm (PDT) . Posted by:

"david smith" dvdcsmth


Yahoo, I think, have serious mail problems they seem not to be dealing with.

A few years ago they asked users if there were any email addresses (anyaddress@yahoo.com) that people would like to have if they became available. I sent them one or a couple of requests. A while later, they said that one of my requests was available. I started using it. Then, I saw that other people were using it, too. I was receiving their mail - and I supposed they were receiving mine.

I wrote to yahoo, and they said I needed to unlink the problem email account (problemaccount@yahoo.com) from the other yahoo mail accounts I'd been using. I couldn't do that on the iPad - it had to be done on a big computer. When I insisted that I didn't see a way to follow their instructions on the big computer, they eventually simply stopped corresponding. Evidently, they had one canned solution for this problem, and conveying it completed their task.

There are several problems implied in this situation. This note has already been too long, so I won't go into them here - but they're obvious if you think this through.

If it were possible to cancel all my yahoo accounts, I'd do that. Unfortunately, that's impossible. Or is it? Anyone ever succeed in canceling a yahoo account?

> On Jul 21, 2014, at 10:06 AM, "'Bruce' brooklyn_ny99@yahoo.com [the_ipod_group]" <the_ipod_group@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
>
> Yahoo email accounts are heavily hacked. So they keep wanting you to change passwords to help prevent this.
>
> Bruce
>
> From: mailto:the_ipod_group@yahoogroups.com
> Sent: Friday, July 11, 2014 10:57 PM
> To: the_ipod_group@yahoogroups.com
> Subject: Re: [the_ipod_group] can't send mail
>
>
> Signing onto Century Link email online is a great suggestion.
>
> Weird about Yahoo forcing password changes. I've had a yahoo email for many years and haven't had that issue. But maybe it's related to using other yahoo services or being contracted like thru century link. Interesting.
>
>> On Jul 11, 2014, at 6:09 PM, "'Bruce' brooklyn_ny99@yahoo.com [the_ipod_group]" <the_ipod_group@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
>>
>>
>> Just because you are receiving email, it doesn't mean everything is ok to send. You make two different connections to the email server. Evidently there is something funky going on the outgoing email connection. Wrong server name, username, password, other issues. Just because you think the password is ok to receive email, that doesn't mean the sending email password is the same, for example.
>>
>> Century Link must help you, it is their server that you aren't talking to.
>>
>>
>> Bruce
>>
>> From: mailto:the_ipod_group@yahoogroups.com
>> Sent: Friday, July 11, 2014 5:11 PM
>> To: the_ipod_group@yahoogroups.com
>> Subject: [the_ipod_group] can't send mail
>>
>>
>> None of my apple devices - iPod touch, iPad and Smart Phone 4s, can send email. It keeps telling me I have the wrong email address. I'm receiving my emails just fine (same email password); but why do I have this problem after installing the software update and how can I fix it?
>>
>>
>>
>> I tried re-setting and that didn't work. Then tried deleting my main email. That didn't work. I'm throwing up my hands and asking for help and hope someone else has experienced and solved this problem. My internet service at Century link was no help either. :-(
>>
>>
>>
>> Thanks in advance for any help!
>>
>> June
>>
>
>