9/26/2011

[macsupport] Digest Number 8461

Messages In This Digest (12 Messages)

Messages

1a.

Re: Need Storage Recommendation Please

Posted by: "Randy B. Singer" randy@macattorney.com   randybrucesinger

Sun Sep 25, 2011 5:24 pm (PDT)




On Sep 25, 2011, at 5:56 AM, LouisD wrote:

> Hi folks. I need to add some storage to my MacPro Tower, 8-core,
> 2.26Mhz, 16GB RAM.

I'd recommend one of the "enterprise class" drives from Hitachi.

http://eshop.macsales.com/search/enterprise+class+hitachi

___________________________________________
Randy B. Singer
Co-author of The Macintosh Bible (4th, 5th, and 6th editions)

Macintosh OS X Routine Maintenance
http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html
___________________________________________

1b.

Re: Need Storage Recommendation Please

Posted by: "Daly Jessup" jessup@san.rr.com

Sun Sep 25, 2011 6:20 pm (PDT)




On Sep 25, 2011, at 5:24 PM, Randy B. Singer wrote:

>
> On Sep 25, 2011, at 5:56 AM, LouisD wrote:
>
>> Hi folks. I need to add some storage to my MacPro Tower, 8-core,
>> 2.26Mhz, 16GB RAM.
>
> I'd recommend one of the "enterprise class" drives from Hitachi.
>
> http://eshop.macsales.com/search/enterprise+class+hitachi
That's what I did. I got a 2 TB Hitachi enterprise-class drive and it has been rock solid.

Daly
1c.

Re: Need Storage Recommendation Please

Posted by: "Tod Hopkins" hoplist@hillmanncarr.com   todhop

Sun Sep 25, 2011 7:21 pm (PDT)



On Sep 25, 2011, at 6:44 PM, Harry Flaxman wrote:

> The questions I have are, what would I do with the
> drive aside from having the OS on it for boot and runtime stuff. Would I
> want all of my applications on the SSD, in which case, 30gb is probably
> not large enough.

In short, yes, you want all your system and apps on the SSD. The vast majority of "wait time" for most users is waiting for your system drive which contains not only the apps themselves, but ALL their associated files. This is not by accident! There is a reason that everything is designed to be on one drive. Anything else is likely to be less efficient unless you are very, very clever! Mac OS is not a fun of people getting too clever. ;)

I would recommend that you leave "working" directories on the system drive. Why wait an extra 15 seconds for that large project file you will be opening every day for the next week? Keep it handy. One very easy way to do this is to simply keep it on your "desktop" which, by default, is on your system drive.

Cheers,
tod

Tod Hopkins
Hillmann & Carr Inc.
todhopkins@hillmanncarr.com

1d.

Re: Need Storage Recommendation Please

Posted by: "Jim Saklad" jimdoc@me.com   jimdoc01

Sun Sep 25, 2011 7:48 pm (PDT)



>> The questions I have are, what would I do with the drive aside from having the OS on it for boot and runtime stuff. Would I want all of my applications on the SSD, in which case, 30gb is probably
>> not large enough.
>
> In short, yes, you want all your system and apps on the SSD. The vast majority of "wait time" for most users is waiting for your system drive which contains not only the apps themselves, but ALL their associated files. This is not by accident! There is a reason that everything is designed to be on one drive. Anything else is likely to be less efficient unless you are very, very clever! Mac OS is not a fun of people getting too clever. ;)
>
> I would recommend that you leave "working" directories on the system drive. Why wait an extra 15 seconds for that large project file you will be opening every day for the next week? Keep it handy. One very easy way to do this is to simply keep it on your "desktop" which, by default, is on your system drive.

Well, yes and no.

I ran an experiment for several months. I bought a 64 GB ExpressCard SSD. As you may (or may not) know, the ExpressCard slot on a Macbook Pro is on the slower USB bus, not the faster SATA bus.

I set it up, using SuperDuper!, as a sandbox, with Users (but *not* Applications) shared. This left the ENTIRE Users folder on the disk hard drive, symlinked from the SSD. So ALL the users files, and non-Apple shared applications, were on the rotating disk, and all the System, Libraries, and primary Applications directories were on the SSD.

It booted, and ran, wonderfully fast – but NOT as fast as it would in Harry's situation, because he would have the 3 Gb/s SATA bus instead of the 480 Mb/s USB bus.

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Jim Saklad mailto:jimdoc@me.com

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

1e.

Re: Need Storage Recommendation Please

Posted by: "Harry Flaxman" harry.flaxman@comcast.net   hflaxman001

Sun Sep 25, 2011 8:44 pm (PDT)



On 9/25/2011 10:21 PM, Tod Hopkins wrote:
> On Sep 25, 2011, at 6:44 PM, Harry Flaxman wrote:
>
> > The questions I have are, what would I do with the
> > drive aside from having the OS on it for boot and runtime stuff.
> Would I
> > want all of my applications on the SSD, in which case, 30gb is probably
> > not large enough.
>
> In short, yes, you want all your system and apps on the SSD. The vast
> majority of "wait time" for most users is waiting for your system
> drive which contains not only the apps themselves, but ALL their
> associated files. This is not by accident! There is a reason that
> everything is designed to be on one drive. Anything else is likely to
> be less efficient unless you are very, very clever! Mac OS is not a
> fun of people getting too clever. ;)
>
> I would recommend that you leave "working" directories on the system
> drive. Why wait an extra 15 seconds for that large project file you
> will be opening every day for the next week? Keep it handy. One very
> easy way to do this is to simply keep it on your "desktop" which, by
> default, is on your system drive.
>
> Cheers,

The only programs I've moved off of the internal system drive to an
external drive are games. They don't seem to care where they execute
from. I have never moved a 'working' application off of the internal,
or system drive.

I do measure throughput for each drive that I have on my system. I've
seen videos of Macs with SSDs installed booting and starting up every
app they have. On one system, it took 17.6 seconds from power down to
all applications open. I believe there were in excess of 40
applications launching. I could be wrong. I have the video saved
somewhere on one of my drives. I"ll have to dig it up and watch it
again to see the number of apps opening during the video. It's pretty
amazing.

I get fairly good times on opening programs or projects as it is. The
area I'd want to see faster is anything system related. Being as the vm
files are constantly being written to and read from, this operation
would be vastly improved.

I tend to leave programs and sometimes associated projects, open once
they've been opened. I'll either minimize to their icon, or hide them
when they're active. Lion makes this a fairly safe option with
versions, at least for Apple apps right now. I'm sure 3rd party
software will follow suit as things progress.

Harry

2a.

Re: Dual Channel

Posted by: "Denver Dan" denver.dan@verizon.net   denverdan22180

Sun Sep 25, 2011 5:43 pm (PDT)



Howdy.

I don't know if you have "dual channel" memory.

I'm not sure there is such a thing as dual channel memory.

However, there is a dual channel architecture for some computer models
and if RAM chips are bought and installed in the correct manner they
will make use of the dual channel architecture and this can increase
speed of some tasks. The term "dual channel" can be used in a
misleading manner sometimes.

The amount of increased speed is a bit speculative and can depend on
your work on the computer.

Some Macs, like the MacPro, have a different system that with the
purchase and installation of RAM in the correct matched pairs and in
the proper matched slots will trigger on something called 256 memory
path addressing. This is supposed to increase speed by 5% to 15% for
some tasks on the computer.

Denver Dan

On Mon, 26 Sep 2011 00:04:56 +0000, David M wrote:
> I have a Power Mac G5 (Early 2005) running Tiger. It has 3 GBs of
> RAM. I have 2GB of dual channel RAM. Is this a waste?? Does it
> matter if I have dual or single channel memory in this computer??
>
>
> David
>

2b.

Re: Dual Channel

Posted by: "David M" Miracleman2@yahoo.com   miracleman2

Sun Sep 25, 2011 5:49 pm (PDT)



> Howdy.
>
> I don't know if you have "dual channel" memory.
>
> I'm not sure there is such a thing as dual channel memory.
>
> However, there is a dual channel architecture for some computer models
> and if RAM chips are bought and installed in the correct manner they
> will make use of the dual channel architecture and this can increase
> speed of some tasks. The term "dual channel" can be used in a
> misleading manner sometimes.
>
> The amount of increased speed is a bit speculative and can depend on
> your work on the computer.
>
> Some Macs, like the MacPro, have a different system that with the
> purchase and installation of RAM in the correct matched pairs and in
> the proper matched slots will trigger on something called 256 memory
> path addressing. This is supposed to increase speed by 5% to 15% for
> some tasks on the computer.

Thank you for the info. I have a Linux computer that has dual channel capability. I have the same type of memory installed in the correct slots but in BIOS it indicates it is running in single channel mode. In my Mac I have 2 1 GB DDR 400 modules. on the module it has 2GB 2x1 GB written on each module. I am wondering why on my Linux computer that it is running in single channel mode when I have the same type of RAM in each slot

Thanks

David

2c.

imac file  will not  project but the desktop wallpaper does on a Pan

Posted by: "GF Renk" artists1@mdi.ca   artists100ca

Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:17 pm (PDT)





Only the wallpaper of a recent imac running Snow Leopard is projected by a
Panasonic projector
that is about ten years old (PT-LC76U). What can one do to project
movies, art works, etc.
using this projector and computer?

Thanks for any thoughts on this.

Fred

3a.

Re: Judge Dismisses Law Suite on iphone/iOS "tracking"

Posted by: "Randy B. Singer" randy@macattorney.com   randybrucesinger

Sun Sep 25, 2011 7:20 pm (PDT)




On Sep 25, 2011, at 3:47 PM, Harry Flaxman wrote:

> Kind of figured this would happen. The device was not actually
> tracking
> an individual's movements, rather, towers that were local to the
> device. They could have been a distance from the actual device.

It will be interesting to see if this effects the status of the
similar class-action suit against Apple in South Korea.

Since Apple and South Korean Samsung are at war with one another,
there may be a political/nationalistic component to the lawsuit that
might preclude applying common sense.

___________________________________________
Randy B. Singer
Co-author of The Macintosh Bible (4th, 5th, and 6th editions)

Macintosh OS X Routine Maintenance
http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html
___________________________________________

4a.

Re: Alternative to Quicken for Lion

Posted by: "jamesrob@sonic.net" jamesrob@sonic.net   jamesrob328i

Sun Sep 25, 2011 8:22 pm (PDT)





--- In macsupportcentral@yahoogroups.com, "joan05061" <jsax@...> wrote:
>
> I believe a while back someone complained about "Quicken for the Mac" not being compatible with Lion. I purchased Quicken Essentials, that Intuit" (funny name for a company whose products are far from intuitive) hoping that I could easily convert my Quicken for Mac 2007 files to Quicken Essentials. Alas, no, it is behaving very quirkily, recognizing, for instance, files that I backed up a few months ago, but not the latest file. I am about to give up and ask for my money back and I wanted to know if anyone could suggest a different money management program that IS intuitive and works with Lion.

Sorry to hear that, especially since I just looked at Jumsoft's "Money 4" (actually, I tested the trial, which is 3.7.9, but it's missing a huge amount of what's in Quicken Deluxe 2006, which is the program I'll have to give up on soon.

The more time I spend struggling with this issue, the closer I get to deciding to purchase Quicken for Windows to run it in VMware Fusion.

5a.

WiFi: wrong password

Posted by: "DaveC" davec2468@yahoo.com   davec2468

Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:33 pm (PDT)



2Wire ATT "U-Verse" wireless router. 2 Mac minis: 2006 Core Duo; 2011 i7.

Minis are on the same table.

The 2011 mini can connect to the wireless network using the WAP personal pw.

The 2006 is told that the password is wrong.

I'm stumped. Why would this be? What is my next step?

Thanks,
Dave
--
2011 Mac mini 2.7 GHz i7 / 4 GB / 750 GB
OS X 10.6.8 (Snow Leopard)

5b.

Re: WiFi: wrong password

Posted by: "DaveC" davec2468@yahoo.com   davec2468

Mon Sep 26, 2011 2:18 am (PDT)



I found the problem. I had a MAC address spoofing pref pane installed
in System Preferences. I didn't need it anymore so I deleted and
rebooted.

The 2006 mini can now use the wireless network.

Thanks,
Dave

Recent Activity
Visit Your Group
New business?

Get new customers.

List your web site

in Yahoo! Search.

Sitebuilder

Build a web site

quickly & easily

with Sitebuilder.

Yahoo! Finance

It's Now Personal

Guides, news,

advice & more.

Need to Reply?

Click one of the "Reply" links to respond to a specific message in the Daily Digest.

Create New Topic | Visit Your Group on the Web
MARKETPLACE

Stay on top of your group activity without leaving the page you're on - Get the Yahoo! Toolbar now.