9/29/2011

[macsupport] Digest Number 8467

Messages In This Digest (25 Messages)

1a.
Re: QuickTime Nag Screen From: Tod Hopkins
2a.
Re: ClickToPlugin preferences? From: Eric
3a.
Washington Monument & iPads From: Denver dan
3b.
Re: Washington Monument & iPads From: Harry Flaxman
3c.
Re: Washington Monument & iPads From: Bob Cook
3d.
Re: Washington Monument & iPads From: Daly Jessup
3e.
Re: Washington Monument & iPads From: DaveC
4a.
SSD Feedback — was Need Storage Recommendation Please From: LouisD
5a.
Re: Apple's " One to One" support: anyone use it? From: Donna Ellis
6a.
Quicken autolaunches at login, locks up before home page completes l From: Jim Robertson
6b.
Re: Quicken autolaunches at login, locks up before home page complet From: Daly Jessup
6c.
Re: Quicken autolaunches at login, locks up before home page complet From: Jim Saklad
7.
Off-topic?  How many Group members - Hilarious From: Mr X
8.
Moving Text in iPhoto 11 Slideshow From: harpangel36
9a.
Updating Safari 5.0.5 -> 5.0.6? From: DaveC
9b.
Re: Updating Safari 5.0.5 -> 5.0.6? From: DaveC
9c.
Re: Updating Safari 5.0.5 -> 5.0.6? From: N.A. Nada
10.
Interesting Apple vs Microsoft comparison From: Jim Saklad
11a.
Reappearing tracking cookies and how to delete them? From: vixpix
11b.
Re: Reappearing tracking cookies and how to delete them? From: Harry Flaxman
11c.
Re: Reappearing tracking cookies and how to delete them? From: vixpix
11d.
Re: Reappearing tracking cookies and how to delete them? From: Daly Jessup
11e.
Re: Reappearing tracking cookies and how to delete them? From: vixpix
12.
slightly ot:  imap settings? From: Melissa tucker
13a.
Re: TV on a G5 From: Rick Branscomb

Messages

1a.

Re: QuickTime Nag Screen

Posted by: "Tod Hopkins" hoplist@hillmanncarr.com   todhop

Thu Sep 29, 2011 6:29 am (PDT)



I'm guessing Quicktime is being triggered by something on the web page that it cannot open (or it's broken...) What or why is hard to know. Examine your "home" pages, especially for a blank QT placeholder or something like that. Try simply changing your home page for a time and see if it goes away until you open your home page.

If you can find the item that is causing the problem, you can examine it for the codec that you are actually missing. Another option might be to install a general codec pack like Perian and see if that solves the problem.

Are your Quicktime and Safari installs up to date? This could be related to HTML5 and OggTheora.

Cheers,
tod
On Sep 28, 2011, at 8:59 PM, stupnski@tiac.net wrote:

> For the past week I've been finding, at apparently random times, a dialog window open on my screen that displays the QuickTime logo on its left and says:
>
> "Additional software is required for QuickTime to playback this media. It may be available from the QuickTime Components page. Make sure your internet network connection is active, then click the continue button to check for the software."
>
> I have not attempted to playback any media (at least not any that failed to play), and the window sometimes appears quite soon after I start up the computer. I think it only happens after Safari has been running, however.
>
> Clicking the referenced 'Continue' button took me to a screen displaying what appear to be plug-ins. Unfortunately I can't list them here because I dismissed the dialog this time without clicking on that button.
>
> Has anyone seen this who can explain what it is, and what may be causing it to display?
>
> Thanks,
> .................Mike
>
>

Tod Hopkins
Hillmann & Carr Inc.
todhopkins@hillmanncarr.com

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

2a.

Re: ClickToPlugin preferences?

Posted by: "Eric" emanmb@yahoo.com   emanmb

Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:25 am (PDT)



Thanks for posting that answer!

--- In macsupportcentral@yahoogroups.com, DaveC <davec2468@...> wrote:
>
> Found the answer here:
>
> <http://hoyois.github.com/safariextensions/clicktoplugin/support.xhtml>
>
> Turns out that the preferences can be accesses via right-click on any web page.
>
> Hope this little voyage helps some archive searcher in the future...
>
> Dave
> --
> 2011 Mac mini 2.7 GHz i7 / 4 GB / 750 GB
> OS X 10.6.8 (Snow Leopard)
>

3a.

Washington Monument & iPads

Posted by: "Denver dan" denver.dan@verizon.net   denverdan22180

Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:39 am (PDT)



Yesterday 4 stone experts rappelled down the 4 sides of the earthquake damaged Washington Monument in D.C.

They were checking damage, taking samples, and taking pictures and making notes on their iPads.

!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i
iFrom iDan's iClearly iClouded iPhone!
3b.

Re: Washington Monument & iPads

Posted by: "Harry Flaxman" harry.flaxman@comcast.net   hflaxman001

Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:30 am (PDT)



On 9/29/2011 10:39 AM, Denver dan wrote:
> Yesterday 4 stone experts rappelled down the 4 sides of the earthquake damaged Washington Monument in D.C.
>
> They were checking damage, taking samples, and taking pictures and making notes on their iPads.

Yup, was on the national news here last night!

Harry

3c.

Re: Washington Monument & iPads

Posted by: "Bob Cook" cookrd1@discoveryowners.com   cookrd1

Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:42 am (PDT)



Surprised they could see the screen outside.

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

3d.

Re: Washington Monument & iPads

Posted by: "Daly Jessup" jessup@san.rr.com

Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:06 pm (PDT)




On Sep 29, 2011, at 8:42 AM, Bob Cook wrote:

> Surprised they could see the screen outside.

Could you please quote a little of the post you are answering, so readers don't have to go combing through "deleted items" if they want to know what you are talking about?

Daly
3e.

Re: Washington Monument & iPads

Posted by: "DaveC" davec2468@yahoo.com   davec2468

Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:11 pm (PDT)



>On Sep 29, 2011, at 8:42 AM, Bob Cook wrote:
>
>> Surprised they could see the screen outside.
>
>Could you please quote a little of the post you are answering, so
>readers don't have to go combing through "deleted items" if they
>want to know what you are talking about?
>
>Daly

Yes, please!

Quoting some of the original post is common courtesy.

Dave

4a.

SSD Feedback — was Need Storage Recommendation Please

Posted by: "LouisD" lou@loudina.com   ldina

Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:45 am (PDT)



I installed my OWC 240GB SSD drive in my MacPro yesterday. After formatting the drive with Disk Utility, I used SuperDuper to clone my old MacHD to the SSD (OSX 10.6.8, all my programs, and some data files). It took 1 hr 15 min for SuperDuper to transfer 110GB to the new drive, make it bootable and restart on the new drive. (Thanks for the suggestions on setting up the new drive, Dan.)

Worked fine, without any hitches. Programs take about 1/3 to 1/2 as long to load, and filters in Photoshop seem to have about the same boost in speed. I didn't do any before/after tests or measurements, so that is just a guess, but the speedup is substantial and noticeable.

I have about 130 GB free on my SSD boot drive. I have a separate conventional hard drive currently set up as my Photoshop Scratch disk. It's not a screamer, but it isn't a dog either. I am wondering if it would be a good idea to use my SSD boot drive as the scratch drive. I have two questions about doing this:

1. The SSD is the drive I am using for programs and OSX, so I don't want to slow things down by having them all operate from the same drive.

2. I have read that you don't want to overdo writing on an SSD drive, and I am wondering if using it as a scratch disk might appreciably shorten the life of the drive?

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Lou

--- In macsupportcentral@yahoogroups.com, "LouisD" <lou@...> wrote:
>
> Good to hear, Randy.
>
> I should get my OWC 256GB SSD drive this afternoon. Hope to have it installed and running some time tomorrow. I'll report back on my results.
>
> Lou
>
>
> --- In macsupportcentral@yahoogroups.com, Randy Decker <randydecker@> wrote:
> >
> > I have a 256 GB ssd drive as my start up disk on my mac pro. It's very fast indeed. I bought it at OWC. I would highly recommend it.
> >
> > Sent from my iPad
> >
>

5a.

Re: Apple's " One to One" support: anyone use it?

Posted by: "Donna Ellis" dellis70@tampabay.rr.com   dellis551

Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:52 am (PDT)



I have it. But the apple store is far away. But it expires next month
so I must get down there. I wish there was a phone option, or an
e-mail option, because most of my questions are one-liners. But it
helped a lot since I went from old, old software to new software last
November. I still have questions about a few things in Pages and
iPhoto, so I need to get there. I could not find any groups on line
to help with the questions. Oh, I've been an apple user since 1989,
and found it very helpful with this last upgrade.
de

At 6:52 AM -0700 9/21/11, Jim Robertson wrote:
>
>
>Apple offers what seems to be an attractive support option with the purchase
>of new Macs - Their "One to One" support program. I've never purchased this,
>and I've used Macs since my ComputerLand prepurchase even before the 1984
>Super Bowl ad. However, I can imagine times when more intensive support
>would be helpful; e.g., MS Office to Mail/iCal/Address Book migration, POP
>to IMAP migration, REALLY understanding how to integrate Lion's behind the
>scenes document updating and what it might do to my Dropbox, etc.
>
>Anyone have experience with One to One?

6a.

Quicken autolaunches at login, locks up before home page completes l

Posted by: "Jim Robertson" jamesrob@sonic.net   jamesrob328i

Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:28 am (PDT)



I'm meddling with my wife's MacBook Pro (1.83 GHz MacBook Pro 1.1, 2 GB RAM,
Mac OS 10.6.8) in preparation for moving it down the family food chain. I
just did System Update, which installed Safari 5.1. Afterwards, when I
logged in to her (admin) account, Safari launched itself on login to her
user account, but before her homepage completed loading the shiny Pizza
Wheel started spinning, the recursive circle in the URL address bar did the
same, and they never stopped and <Command-option-escape> told me Safari was
not responding.

Safari was NOT set as a login item in her System Preferences "Accounts"
panel. It wasn't listed as a Startup item in System Profiler. I WAS
surprised to see an item named "System Events" listed as a startup item in
her account. I couldn't find that file using Spotlight or "Find..." in
Finder (I've forgotten how to search where Apple doesn't want us to).
However, I disabled "System Events" as an account login item anyway, and it
made no difference.

When I tested in the Guest user, Safari launched to completion.

After deleting the two Safari plist files at
~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.safari
Then logging out and rebooting (twice), eventually I got Safari to load to
completion in her account, and I noticed a Toolbar at the bottom of the
Window named "Television Fanatic" and a Menu not present in Safari on other
Macs or other accounts on her Mac, named "Search Engine" (the only item in
that menu being "Television Fanatic." Curiously, the Safari "Help" Menu list
of installed plugins didn't list this, but the suspect Toolbar itself had an
option for deleting it, which I did. Problem Solved!!! Safari no longer
autolaunches, and when I launch it myself it behaves as it should.

Then, a Google Search on "Television Fanatic" led me to LOTS of complaints
about it making Safari unusable.

Figuring this out still leaves me with a few questions:

1. How do I search for files that usually aren't visible in Spotlight (I
know it's been discussed here many times previously, but the Yahoo Groups
search tool for the group is currently broken).

2. Does anyone know what the App "System Events" is? (If I can find it I
probably can say something more about it).

3. Eventually, I found "System Events" using System Profiler, and now I'm
curious why it would have been listed as a login item for her account. It's

/System/Library/CoreServices/System Events.app

But it's not listed as a startup item for any other accounts on this Mac or
on other Macs

Jim Robertson
--

6b.

Re: Quicken autolaunches at login, locks up before home page complet

Posted by: "Daly Jessup" jessup@san.rr.com

Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:56 pm (PDT)




On Sep 29, 2011, at 10:28 AM, Jim Robertson wrote:

> Figuring this out still leaves me with a few questions:
>
> 1. How do I search for files that usually aren't visible in Spotlight (I
> know it's been discussed here many times previously, but the Yahoo Groups
> search tool for the group is currently broken).
>
> 2. Does anyone know what the App "System Events" is? (If I can find it I
> probably can say something more about it).
>
> 3. Eventually, I found "System Events" using System Profiler, and now I'm
> curious why it would have been listed as a login item for her account. It's
>
> /System/Library/CoreServices/System Events.app
>
> But it's not listed as a startup item for any other accounts on this Mac or
> on other Macs

I'm not sure about all your questions, but here's an interesting forum exchange about it found by googling "System Events Mac OS X".
<http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=691211>

As for searching for things not covered by Spotlight, I use (and love) HoudahSpot.
<http://www.houdah.com/houdahSpot/>

Daly
6c.

Re: Quicken autolaunches at login, locks up before home page complet

Posted by: "Jim Saklad" jimdoc@me.com   jimdoc01

Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:34 pm (PDT)



> How do I search for files that usually aren't visible in Spotlight?

I use EasyFind:
<http://www.devon-technologies.com/products/freeware/index.html>

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Jim Saklad mailto:jimdoc@me.com

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

7.

Off-topic?  How many Group members - Hilarious

Posted by: "Mr X" x255075@gmail.com   x255075

Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:44 am (PDT)




Hi

.

If you forward any correspondence, as a courtesy, please delete all forwarding history - which includes all email addresses and names in the email that you received. Please use BCC (blind copy) area instead of TO area when forwarding to more than one person. Erasing this history helps prevent Spammers from mining addresses and viruses from being propagated. ~ Thank You.

Begin forwarded message:

How many Group members does it take
To change a lightbulb?

One to change the light bulb and to post
That the light bulb has been changed.

Fourteen to share similar experiences
Of changing light bulbs and how the light bulb
Could have been changed differently.

Seven to caution about the dangers
Of changing light bulbs.

Seven more to point out spelling/grammar errors
In posts about changing light bulbs.

Three to correct spelling/grammar errors.

Six to argue over whether it's
"lightbulb" or "light bulb".

Another six to condemn those six as stupid.

Fifteen to claim experience in
The lighting industry and give
The correct spelling.

Nineteen to post that this group is not
About light bulbs and to please take
This discussion to a lightbulb
(or light bulb) forum.

Eleven to defend the posting to the group
Saying that we all use light bulbs
And therefore the posts are relevant
To this group.

Thirty six to debate which method
Of changing light bulbs is superior,
Where to buy the best light bulbs,
What brand of light bulbs work best
For this technique and what brands
Are faulty.

Seven to post URLs where one can see
Examples of different light bulbs.

Four to post that the URLs were posted
Incorrectly and then post the corrected URL.

Three to post about links they found
From the URLs that are relevant
To this group which makes light bulbs
Relevant to this group.

Thirteen to link all posts to date,
Quote them in their entirety
Including all headers and signatures,
And add "Me too".

Five to post to the group that they will
No longer post because they cannot handle
The light bulb controversy.

Four to say "didn't we go through this
Already a short time ago?"

Thirteen to say "do a Google search
On light bulbs before posting
Questions about light bulbs."

Three to tell a funny story about
Their cat and a light bulb.

AND

One group lurker to respond to
The original post 6 months from now
With something unrelated and start it
All over again.

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

8.

Moving Text in iPhoto 11 Slideshow

Posted by: "harpangel36" harpangel36@yahoo.com   harpangel36

Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:42 am (PDT)



Anyone know how to move the text box in iPhoto 11 slideshow? In iPhoto 09 I could just drag it around, but can't seem to do that now.

Thanks, Roxanne

9a.

Updating Safari 5.0.5 -> 5.0.6?

Posted by: "DaveC" davec2468@yahoo.com   davec2468

Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:58 am (PDT)



I am running Safari 5.0.5 under Snow Leopard. (The why has to do with
feature changes that I don't like in 5.1+.)

I located version 5.0.6 at Apple.com but when I try to install it I'm
told that it is only for Leopard and requires OS X 10.5.8+.

Surely this should work on a *later* version of OS X than what is
originally intended for? It just seems that since 5.0.5 works just
fine, why would a small update not also work?

I have Pacifist and can see all the files in the install package. I'm
a bit out of my depth here: what files should be installed from the
package, and where?

Is there a simple way to bypass the "Big Brother" message and install it?

Suggestions?

Thanks,
Dave
--
2011 Mac mini 2.7 GHz i7 / 4 GB / 750 GB
OS X 10.6.8 (Snow Leopard)

9b.

Re: Updating Safari 5.0.5 -> 5.0.6?

Posted by: "DaveC" davec2468@yahoo.com   davec2468

Thu Sep 29, 2011 2:39 pm (PDT)



I used Pacifist to bypass the "This version of Safari cannot be
installed on this computer" message and forced the install.

The bottom line is that Safari 5.0.5 will run under SL. Safari 5.0.6,
even if installed, will not run under SL. Go figure.

Safari 5.0.5 can be downloaded here:

<http://appldnld.apple.com.edgesuite.net/content.info.apple.com/Safari5/041-0564.20110413.Fi9pb/Safari5.0.5SnowLeopard.dmg>

Just some details for future archive crawlers...

Dave

-=-=-=-

>I am running Safari 5.0.5 under Snow Leopard. (The why has to do with
>feature changes that I don't like in 5.1+.)
>
>I located version 5.0.6 at Apple.com but when I try to install it I'm
>told that it is only for Leopard and requires OS X 10.5.8+.
>
>Surely this should work on a *later* version of OS X than what is
>originally intended for? It just seems that since 5.0.5 works just
>fine, why would a small update not also work?
>
>I have Pacifist and can see all the files in the install package. I'm
>a bit out of my depth here: what files should be installed from the
>package, and where?
>
>Is there a simple way to bypass the "Big Brother" message and install it?
>
>Suggestions?
>
>Thanks,
>Dave
>--
>2011 Mac mini 2.7 GHz i7 / 4 GB / 750 GB
>OS X 10.6.8 (Snow Leopard)

9c.

Re: Updating Safari 5.0.5 -> 5.0.6?

Posted by: "N.A. Nada" whodo678@comcast.net

Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:58 pm (PDT)



They told you so.

Could it be that it was a patch for 10.5, but that 10.6 does not need the patch or the architecture has changed so that it can not use it?

On Sep 29, 2011, at 2:38 PM, DaveC wrote:

> I used Pacifist to bypass the "This version of Safari cannot be
> installed on this computer" message and forced the install.
>
> The bottom line is that Safari 5.0.5 will run under SL. Safari 5.0.6,
> even if installed, will not run under SL. Go figure.
>
> Safari 5.0.5 can be downloaded here:
>
> <http://appldnld.apple.com.edgesuite.net/content.info.apple.com/Safari5/041-0564.20110413.Fi9pb/Safari5.0.5SnowLeopard.dmg>
>
> Just some details for future archive crawlers...
>
> Dave
>
> -=-=-=-
>
> >I am running Safari 5.0.5 under Snow Leopard. (The why has to do with
> >feature changes that I don't like in 5.1+.)
> >
> >I located version 5.0.6 at Apple.com but when I try to install it I'm
> >told that it is only for Leopard and requires OS X 10.5.8+.
> >
> >Surely this should work on a *later* version of OS X than what is
> >originally intended for? It just seems that since 5.0.5 works just
> >fine, why would a small update not also work?
> >
> >I have Pacifist and can see all the files in the install package. I'm
> >a bit out of my depth here: what files should be installed from the
> >package, and where?
> >
> >Is there a simple way to bypass the "Big Brother" message and install it?
> >
> >Suggestions?
> >
> >Thanks,
> >Dave
> >--
> >2011 Mac mini 2.7 GHz i7 / 4 GB / 750 GB
> >OS X 10.6.8 (Snow Leopard)

10.

Interesting Apple vs Microsoft comparison

Posted by: "Jim Saklad" jimdoc@me.com   jimdoc01

Thu Sep 29, 2011 2:35 pm (PDT)



<http://www.asymco.com/2011/09/29/comparing-revenues-apple-and-microsoft/>

• The Mac business generates more revenue than Windows
• iOS powered devices generate more revenue than all of Microsoft's products put together
• Apple's revenues grew 413% since Q2 2007 while Microsoft's grew 26%

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Jim Saklad mailto:jimdoc@me.com

11a.

Reappearing tracking cookies and how to delete them?

Posted by: "vixpix" vixpix@frontiernet.net   nyskater

Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:34 pm (PDT)



After hearing about Facebook tracking our every move on the Internet, I was interested in removing all the cookies in Safari. However, when deleting all the cookies from within Safari, they reappear within minutes, even though I have not visited any of those sites. Before long, more cookies are reloading. Resetting Safari does not work. Nothing works. There are dozens of reappearing cookies tracking me.

Can someone tell me how to permanently delete cookies? What folder do they all reside in?

Vickie

Sent from my iPad's big sister

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

11b.

Re: Reappearing tracking cookies and how to delete them?

Posted by: "Harry Flaxman" harry.flaxman@comcast.net   hflaxman001

Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:43 pm (PDT)



On 9/29/2011 7:34 PM, vixpix wrote:
> After hearing about Facebook tracking our every move on the Internet, I was interested in removing all the cookies in Safari. However, when deleting all the cookies from within Safari, they reappear within minutes, even though I have not visited any of those sites. Before long, more cookies are reloading. Resetting Safari does not work. Nothing works. There are dozens of reappearing cookies tracking me.
>
> Can someone tell me how to permanently delete cookies? What folder do they all reside in?
>
> Vickie
>
> Sent from my iPad's big sister
If you are using Lion, enable the developer menu, and select the option
to 'send do not track http headers'.

Harry

11c.

Re: Reappearing tracking cookies and how to delete them?

Posted by: "vixpix" vixpix@frontiernet.net   nyskater

Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:59 pm (PDT)



I'm not using Lion. Sorry. I should have mentioned it. I have Leopard.

Vickie

Sent from my iPad's big sister

On Sep 29, 2011, at 7:42 PM, Harry Flaxman wrote:

> On 9/29/2011 7:34 PM, vixpix wrote:
>> After hearing about Facebook tracking our every move on the Internet, I was interested in removing all the cookies in Safari. However, when deleting all the cookies from within Safari, they reappear within minutes, even though I have not visited any of those sites. Before long, more cookies are reloading. Resetting Safari does not work. Nothing works. There are dozens of reappearing cookies tracking me.
>>
>> Can someone tell me how to permanently delete cookies? What folder do they all reside in?
>>
>> Vickie
>>
>> Sent from my iPad's big sister
> If you are using Lion, enable the developer menu, and select the option
> to 'send do not track http headers'.
>
> Harry
>
>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

11d.

Re: Reappearing tracking cookies and how to delete them?

Posted by: "Daly Jessup" jessup@san.rr.com

Thu Sep 29, 2011 5:45 pm (PDT)




On Sep 29, 2011, at 4:42 PM, Harry Flaxman wrote:

> On 9/29/2011 7:34 PM, vixpix wrote:
>> After hearing about Facebook tracking our every move on the Internet, I was interested in removing all the cookies in Safari. However, when deleting all the cookies from within Safari, they reappear within minutes, even though I have not visited any of those sites. Before long, more cookies are reloading. Resetting Safari does not work. Nothing works. There are dozens of reappearing cookies tracking me.
>>
>> Can someone tell me how to permanently delete cookies? What folder do they all reside in?
>>
>> Vickie
>>
>> Sent from my iPad's big sister
> If you are using Lion, enable the developer menu, and select the option
> to 'send do not track http headers'.

That works in Snow Leopard as well.

Daly
11e.

Re: Reappearing tracking cookies and how to delete them?

Posted by: "vixpix" vixpix@frontiernet.net   nyskater

Thu Sep 29, 2011 6:05 pm (PDT)



Okay, I enabled the developer menu and clicked on Send Do Not Track HTTP Header, but that does not work. I have deleted the cookies and they still reappear. The question is, "How do I keep them from reappearing?" Browsing in private mode does nothing to keep them from coming back either. They all appear as soon as a new page is opened.

Vickie

Sent from my iPad's big sister

On Sep 29, 2011, at 8:45 PM, Daly Jessup wrote:

>
> On Sep 29, 2011, at 4:42 PM, Harry Flaxman wrote:
>
>> On 9/29/2011 7:34 PM, vixpix wrote:
>>> After hearing about Facebook tracking our every move on the Internet, I was interested in removing all the cookies in Safari. However, when deleting all the cookies from within Safari, they reappear within minutes, even though I have not visited any of those sites. Before long, more cookies are reloading. Resetting Safari does not work. Nothing works. There are dozens of reappearing cookies tracking me.
>>>
>>> Can someone tell me how to permanently delete cookies? What folder do they all reside in?
>>>
>>> Vickie
>>>
>>> Sent from my iPad's big sister
>> If you are using Lion, enable the developer menu, and select the option
>> to 'send do not track http headers'.
>
> That works in Snow Leopard as well.
>
> Daly

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

12.

slightly ot:  imap settings?

Posted by: "Melissa tucker" melissatucker4@att.net

Thu Sep 29, 2011 5:47 pm (PDT)



if someone has the imap settings for at&t, could you please send them to me? Thanks.

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

13a.

Re: TV on a G5

Posted by: "Rick Branscomb" ebranscomb@gmail.com   ebranscomb

Thu Sep 29, 2011 5:48 pm (PDT)



I think EyeTV from elgato.com is the only game in town for Macs.

On Sep 28, 2011, at 4:47 PM, Dan wrote:

> This has probably been discussed before, a quick check of the
> archives didn't answer my questions though.
>
> Trying to convert my brother from his PC which he admits is slow and
> outdated, to a G5 desktop I have sitting here. The G5 is a 2005
> model, which can run up to 10.5.x. He states that currently he has a
> PCI card in the PC which enables him to watch TV on his display. The
> TV signal comes from his cable modem attached to the PC via an
> ethernet cable.
>
> What hardware and software do I have to obtain that would allow him
> to watch TV on his display with the G5?
>
> Trying to resolve the issues that would keep him from converting to a
> Mac OS.
>
> I don't think he'll ever connect the computer to an actual TV, but a
> possibility.
>
> Dan
>
>

---------
Rick Branscomb
Webmaster
Southern NH Apple Core

ebranscomb@mac.com | ebranscomb@gmail.com
http://web.mac.com/applepower/

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Recent Activity
Visit Your Group
New business?

Get new customers.

List your web site

in Yahoo! Search.

Yahoo! Finance

It's Now Personal

Guides, news,

advice & more.

Sitebuilder

Build a web site

quickly & easily

with Sitebuilder.

Need to Reply?

Click one of the "Reply" links to respond to a specific message in the Daily Digest.

Create New Topic | Visit Your Group on the Web
MARKETPLACE

Stay on top of your group activity without leaving the page you're on - Get the Yahoo! Toolbar now.