5/20/2012

[macsupport] Digest Number 8906

Messages In This Digest (5 Messages)

Messages

1a.

Re: Time Machine and Shutting Down my Mac

Posted by: "Budd" n7eoj@yahoo.com   n7eoj

Sat May 19, 2012 8:54 am (PDT)



I don't have your problem, but I would suggest going into Time Machine Preferences and turning it off before shutting down.
I have an external hot swap drive bay on the separate 1394b channel.
I rotate three 1TB HDDs through on a weekly basis. 
  
I turn TM off, eject the HDD, power down, swap drives, restart and pick the new HDD to use in TM then allow ~5-10 minutes for it to back up from when it was last installed.
I also use the HDD for object & texture cache for my Second Life & other virtual world work.
So I have to redirect them after each swap.

I hope this helps.
Budd

 
"Do you realize if it weren't for Edison, we would be sitting around watching TV by candlelight?" - Al Boliska

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

1b.

Re: Time Machine and Shutting Down my Mac

Posted by: "Denver Dan" denver.dan@verizon.net   denverdan22180

Sat May 19, 2012 1:39 pm (PDT)



Howdy.

Larry, a couple of possible suggestions for a fix.

1. Have you exclude the Time Machine backup HD from Spotlight
indexing? This is done in Spotlight's Privacy tab in System
Preferences.

2. Have you check the backup HD for adequate space available?

3. Have you considered turning Time Machine off, deselecting the Time
Machine backup drive, then deleting the backup and then turning it all
back on and doing a 100% fresh backup?

Denver Dan

On Sat, 19 May 2012 03:57:04 +0000, ELIOT PYLE wrote:
> When I am through using my Mac for the day, I usually put it in Sleep
> mode, or sometimes just shut it down. This action seems to always
> cause some problem with Time Machine when restarting.
>
> Restarting usually ends up with a black screen and a rotating colored
> ball. I power down the disc drive and things seem to clear up. I can
> then usually power up the disc drive and then stating up. This can
> sometimes cause a problem requiring a computer power down and then a
> power up, along with turning the disc off and on again.
>
> I did not have a problem with Time Machine under a previous Mac
> operating system, Leopard I believe, Time Machine just ran fine. I
> have checked the apple web site support and have not found anything
> of help.
>
> I am missing something here and short of ejecting the time machine
> disc before sleep, what else can I do?
>
> I have a vague recollection of some software in other disc drives
> that can sense a power down and then shutting down quietly. May have
> just been a dream???
>
> I am running OSX 10.7.4 and using a 2GB LaCie drive on a firewire 800 port.
>
> Regards, Larry Pyle

2a.

Re: Program and Data Migration Question

Posted by: "N.A. Nada" whodo678@comcast.net

Sat May 19, 2012 9:26 am (PDT)



I agree with James, if your going to use Migration Assistant, let it do the account configuration for the main user account, before you do anything else.

Personally, when I get a new computer, that is when I want to drop all the old glitches, gremlins and detritus. I'll move over all my docs. I then do clean installs of the Apps. Time to thin out the installed apps, and reconsider the settings. I'll reset all my settings and prefs. Amazingly I always find new features in old apps when doing this. I only start out with the apps I use everyday, then bring over any others as needed. I always check for the latest updates for each app.

Time to change admin passwords also.

Basically, I do a clean install of everything, as if I lost my hard drive, except I have all my docs.

James, for your other question, I am the only user of my Macs. I always run in the admin account. If I were using a Windows PC, yes, I would definitely consider that. But since this is a Mac and there are no or few virus in the wild that can harm a Mac, I don't consider it an issue. Remember, I approach all computers use with mild paranoia. I don't get taken in by social engineering, or have a vary curious side when exploring the internet.

Brent

On May 19, 2012, at 6:11 AM, James Robertson wrote:

On May 19, 2012, at 5:04 AM, Keith Whaley wrote:

> Denver Dan wrote:
>> Documents, data, bookmarks, addresses and contacts, image files and
>> pictures, movies, music, will all transfer to the new Mac.
>>
>> One thing to do is to create a user account on the new Mac that has the
>> same name as the one on the old iMac. This can reduce issues with
>> permissions when data is transferred to new.
>
> I'm getting a new iMac on Tuesday. Shall I do the above before I take
> both in to my Apple store to have them transfer the data from the old to
> the new one?

Denver Dan is usually a fountain of Mac OS knowledge, but I have to disagree with him on this one. If you begin configuration of your new Mac by creating a user account, then try to use Migration Assistant to import data from your old Mac, it WON'T pour into that account; you'll end up with TWO user accounts with nearly identical names.

Far better to take the new Mac home unconfigured if you can't bring the old one to the Apple Store to have them import your data. What works is allowing Migration Assistant to recreate your main user account in the same location on your shiny new Mac. If you start configuration of the Mac manually in the store, you'll end up with a permissions mess when you try to import stuff from "your" user account on your old Mac into "your" user account on the new one

One other bit of commonly given advice that I disagree with: it's often said that you'll be better protected from Malware attacks if you DON'T give your main user account administrator privileges. The second or third time I read this I tried to take an informal poll, asking either here or on another Mac email list how many Mac Mavens followed this advice. I don't recall getting a single positive answer!

Jim Robertson

2b.

Re: Program and Data Migration Question

Posted by: "Denver Dan" denver.dan@verizon.net   denverdan22180

Sat May 19, 2012 1:40 pm (PDT)



Howdy.

Give the Apple store folks your user account name and password and they
will create it all for your.

On Sat, 19 May 2012 04:04:33 -0700, Keith Whaley wrote:
> Denver Dan wrote:
>> Documents, data, bookmarks, addresses and contacts, image files and
>> pictures, movies, music, will all transfer to the new Mac.
>>
>> One thing to do is to create a user account on the new Mac that has the
>> same name as the one on the old iMac. This can reduce issues with
>> permissions when data is transferred to new.
>
> I'm getting a new iMac on Tuesday. Shall I do the above before I take
> both in to my Apple store to have them transfer the data from the old to
> the new one?
>
> Last time I did this I had a brain that worked better than it is now!
> <g> That's why I'm going to let the Apple store do it for me.
>
> keith whaley
> Mid-2001 iMac to Mid-2011 iMac. Pending.

2c.

Re: Program and Data Migration Question

Posted by: "Denver Dan" denver.dan@verizon.net   denverdan22180

Sat May 19, 2012 1:43 pm (PDT)



Howdy.

Jim you may be very right about this.

I only use Migration Assistant occasionally so may not understand it's
full potential.

One thing, though, is that when I buy a new Mac I DO NOT want to
transfer applications from old to new. Some may be too old to run on a
new configuration. Same with drivers and Xtensions. Just seems to be
asking for trouble.

I transfer data, often manually, but install applications from original
sources. Seems to save later headaches plus this process keeps me
mentally updated on app version numbers and requirements for new OS
versions.

Denver Dan

On Sat, 19 May 2012 07:11:48 -0600, James Robertson wrote:
> On May 19, 2012, at 5:04 AM, Keith Whaley wrote:
>
>> Denver Dan wrote:
>>> Documents, data, bookmarks, addresses and contacts, image files and
>>> pictures, movies, music, will all transfer to the new Mac.
>>>
>>> One thing to do is to create a user account on the new Mac that has the
>>> same name as the one on the old iMac. This can reduce issues with
>>> permissions when data is transferred to new.
>>
>> I'm getting a new iMac on Tuesday. Shall I do the above before I take
>> both in to my Apple store to have them transfer the data from the old to
>> the new one?
>
> Denver Dan is usually a fountain of Mac OS knowledge, but I have to
> disagree with him on this one. If you begin configuration of your new
> Mac by creating a user account, then try to use Migration Assistant
> to import data from your old Mac, it WON'T pour into that account;
> you'll end up with TWO user accounts with nearly identical names.
>
> Far better to take the new Mac home unconfigured if you can't bring
> the old one to the Apple Store to have them import your data. What
> works is allowing Migration Assistant to recreate your main user
> account in the same location on your shiny new Mac. If you start
> configuration of the Mac manually in the store, you'll end up with a
> permissions mess when you try to import stuff from "your" user
> account on your old Mac into "your" user account on the new one
>
> One other bit of commonly given advice that I disagree with: it's
> often said that you'll be better protected from Malware attacks if
> you DON'T give your main user account administrator privileges. The
> second or third time I read this I tried to take an informal poll,
> asking either here or on another Mac email list how many Mac Mavens
> followed this advice. I don't recall getting a single positive answer!
>
> Jim Robertson

Recent Activity
Visit Your Group
New business?

Get new customers.

List your web site

in Yahoo! Search.

Share Photos

Put your favorite

photos and

more online.

Yahoo! Finance

It's Now Personal

Guides, news,

advice & more.

Need to Reply?

Click one of the "Reply" links to respond to a specific message in the Daily Digest.

Create New Topic | Visit Your Group on the Web