5/23/2012

[macsupport] Digest Number 8910

Messages In This Digest (11 Messages)

Messages

1a.

Re: iMac and external graphics via Thunderbolt

Posted by: "Denver Dan" denver.dan@verizon.net   denverdan22180

Tue May 22, 2012 7:06 pm (PDT)



Howdy.

The Cubix product is interesting and looks very industrial and robust
but it doesn't seem to support Thunderbolt.

Denver Dan

On Wed, 23 May 2012 05:57:20 +0400, imran khan wrote:
> http://www.cubix.com/content/gpu-xpander-0
>
> On Monday, May 21, 2012, Jeff wrote:
>
>> **
>>
>>
>> Thanks a ton for all of the great info.
>> I'll have to investigate it over my lunch break today.
>> Once you said 'card cage' that rang a bell in my memory. Haven't heard it
>> in a while. I figured it would be expensive though being such a new
>> technology still.
>> I'd prefer to get the Mac Pro and just put a different card in it, but
>> just can't justify the cash right now. Getting the top-end iMac will get me
>> by for a couple of years until I can afford something better.
>> Thanks again Dan. Much appreciated!
>>
>> Jeff
>>
>> --- In macsupportcentral@yahoogroups.com <javascript:_e({}, 'cvml',
>> 'macsupportcentral%40yahoogroups.com');>, Denver Dan <denver.dan@...>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Howdy Jeff.
>>>
>>> I've been trying to post Thunderbolt news here from time-to-time. The
>>> technology may finally be taking off.
>>>
>>> Currently the Thunderbolt cables available are copper based but we are
>>> seeing news that Intel may almost have ready a Thunderbolt cable with
>>> fiber optic plus a copper line for power transmission.
>>>
>>> This is an interesting topic to learn about in case Apple decides to
>>> never make a tower computer again. Shame shame shame if that is the
>>> case (as it were).
>>>
>>> The cables are also expensive due to limited production and because of
>>> a required chip in each plug end.
>>>
>>> What you are asking about is sometimes called a "card cage." Card
>>> cages (under various other names also) have been around for many years
>>> but are aimed at higher end and professional users.
>>>
>>> I think there are now several brands of Thunderbolt card cages
>>> available.
>>>
>>> Try a search with these terms:
>>>
>>> card cage
>>> card case
>>> expansion case
>>> PCIe expansion case
>>> PCIe card adapter expansion
>>>
>>> Check this Sonnet site for some information.
>>>
>>> <http://www.sonnettech.com/product/thunderbolt/>
>>>
>>> Also check this Magma site:
>>>
>>> <http://www.magma.com/thunderbolt.asp>
>>>
>>> MLogic may also have a card cage but I'm not sure whether it's actually
>>> shipping.
>>>
>>> <http://www.mlogic.com>
>>>
>>> WHOOPS! Just read a little more on mLogic's mLink device and it
>>> apparently doesn't accept video cards.
>>>
>>> At this time these devices are not cheap.
>>>
>>> However, the flexibility of adding other cards, of switching cards, and
>>> upgrading cards is an important thing to consider.
>>>
>>> It's also a very good idea to check on potential driver requirements.
>>> It may be the situation that a driver is not required for a current Mac
>>> with a Thunderbolt port built in. I don't know about a MacPro or
>>> Windows system where Thunderbolt is still a foreign topic but this
>>> would be worth a message to the makers's tech service/customer support
>>> prior to purchase.
>>>
>>> The Magma device, more expensive, has 3 slots for full length cards
>>> while the Sonnet device has 2 slots for the smaller card but only
>>> supports 1 full length card.
>>>
>>> Denver Dan

1b.

Re: iMac and external graphics via Thunderbolt

Posted by: "Jeff" jbturof@yahoo.com   jbturof

Wed May 23, 2012 5:39 am (PDT)




Thanks for this link.
I was checking it out but didn't see anywhere that says it will work with an iMac or Thunderbolt.
It is very cool though and if it does, then it may work out perfectly for me.

Thanks again.
Jeff

--- In macsupportcentral@yahoogroups.com, imran khan <sj.imran@...> wrote:
>
> http://www.cubix.com/content/gpu-xpander-0
>

1c.

Re: iMac and external graphics via Thunderbolt

Posted by: "Denver Dan" denver.dan@verizon.net   denverdan22180

Wed May 23, 2012 6:19 am (PDT)



Howdy.

I read on through some of the Cubix tech requirements and it mentions
Macintosh and Mac OS X (but the mention IS a bit hidden). Since it has
the availability of USB and FireWire that means it will work with
Macintosh.

Denver Dan

On Wed, 23 May 2012 12:36:47 +0000, Jeff wrote:
> I was checking it out but didn't see anywhere that says it will work
> with an iMac or Thunderbolt.
> It is very cool though and if it does, then it may work out perfectly
> for me.
>
> Thanks again.
> Jeff
>
> --- In macsupportcentral@yahoogroups.com, imran khan <sj.imran@...> wrote:
>>
>> http://www.cubix.com/content/gpu-xpander-0
>>
>

2a.

Re: Font Embedding - Office for Mac 2011

Posted by: "LouisD" lou@loudina.com   ldina

Tue May 22, 2012 7:15 pm (PDT)



Thank you, Dan.

I compared a few PDF versions in Acrobat and the preflight shows that the fonts are embedded. The PDF part is fine.

I think it is too difficult to work with many corporate clients by sending fonts back and forth with the Word for Mac files. Many just don't know what to do with them once they receive them, or they're too busy to screw with it. Unfortunately, I often need to use other fonts for many of these projects and fonts common to both operating systems don't cut it.

Do you know if Pages 2009 happens to support font embedding? I didn't see it, but perhaps I missed it. I suspect not.

Damn, I hate word processors! No wonder I work with InDesign!!

Thanks again,

Lou

--- In macsupportcentral@yahoogroups.com, Denver Dan <denver.dan@...> wrote:
>
> Howdy.
>
> Font embedding isn't supported in the Macintosh versions of Word.
> However, I've seen numerous internet references that incorrectly say it
> is.
>
> Font embedding in Windows Word seems limited to TrueType fonts.
>
> I don't know if that means only the Microsoft variant of TrueType that
> MS licensed from Apple or other types of TrueType fonts such as the
> .ttf TrueType that are included in Mac OS X.
>
> Here is a web site that attempts to compare some Windows and Macintosh
> fonts and gives the name and a sample.
>
> <http://webdesign.about.com/od/fonts/l/bl_compare_fonts.htm>
>
> If you do a PDF, be aware that you can do that with the PDF maker
> included with Word (which has a poor reputation), or, you can use the
> Mac OS X Print command and the Save as PDF feature, or, you can print
> to a PostScript file and distill with Acrobat Distiller.
>
> I was curious about all 3 methods of making a PDF and so I just did a
> test of the 3 using the same MS Word 2011 file with 4 different fonts
> including 1 TT font and 3 Adobe OpenType fonts.
>
> All 3 ways to make a PDF resulted in the fonts being embedded.
> However, if using Acrobat Distiller, you can turn the embedding off if
> desired.
>
> In addition, all 3 PDFs looked almost 100% identical. I asked another
> person to look at the 3 PDFs side-by-side at original size, and zoomed
> in several times. The PDF made via the Mac OS X Print > save as PDF
> command might have been just slightly better in quality but the
> difference is very, very slight.
>
> If you need to send a Mac Word file to a Windows user, then use one of
> the fonts that is shared between the Mac and Windows versions of
> Word/Office and send the font along with the Word document.
>
> Denver Dan
>
>
>
> On Tue, 22 May 2012 21:03:29 +0000, LouisD wrote:
> > I suspect I know the disappointing answer to this question, but I
> > thought I'd ask here.
> >
> > I have Office for Mac 2011, which I use mainly with corporate clients
> > who use MS Office on Windows systems. Often, there are a lot of
> > technical, engineering symbols in these documents, and font
> > substitution can cause terrible problems. I need to embed fonts if I
> > hope to interact with Office users on Windows machines.
> >
> > Is there any way to embed fonts in documents created with Office for
> > Mac 2011? I have heard that Windows versions will embed fonts, but
> > not the Mac version. I can't even see that I can Save As PDF and
> > embed fonts! (OMG!!)
> >
> > If not, is there any easy workaround?
> >
> > If the answer is NO to both questions, then I consider Office for Mac
> > to be useless. Might as well use Pages, since neither program
> > interfaces well with Office Windows.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Lou
> >
> >
>

3a.

Re: Organizing my digital photos

Posted by: "Harry Flaxman" harry.flaxman@me.com   hflaxman001

Wed May 23, 2012 1:13 am (PDT)





On May 22, 2012, at 09:52 PM, Jim Saklad <jimdoc@me.com> wrote:

>> However, if you are going to use a $13 32GB Flash drive, be sure you invest in other backups as well. The reliability of cheap Flash for storage of valuable data is iffy.
>>
>> The photo library on the internal drive on my Macbook Pro is just under 90 GB, not counting the 15 GB on the "Spare" external drive.
>
> I was wondering about that, Jim. Is that anecdotal or do you have links to info along those lines? Personally, I've never had a flash drive fail from a memory standpoint but several � big name and no-name alike � have wound up useless due to fragile, flimsy build quality. The best I've encountered was a Corsair drive I bought *years* ago, but I finally stopped using it because the rubbery surface made it tough to get out of my pocket when I needed it. And while in my pocket, it went through wash-and-dry laundry cycles at least once without issue!
> Dane

Over the years I've encountered numerous accounts of Flash drive failures. I've never had one. Because my main need for Flash has been camera cards, I've always gone for the fastest ones I could find, which means top-of-the-line Sandisk or Lexar.

 

These are becoming less and less expensive as well, Jim.  I just picked up an 8gb Sandisk SDHC card for $10.99 at Walgreens pharmacy the other day.  Pretty fast, and large for an SD card.

Harry

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

3b.

Re: Organizing my digital photos

Posted by: "James Robertson" jamesrob@sonic.net   jamesrob328i

Wed May 23, 2012 6:14 am (PDT)




On May 22, 2012, at 3:00 PM, Jim Saklad wrote:

> The photo library on the internal drive on my Macbook Pro is just under 90 GB, not counting the 15 GB on the "Spare" external drive.

Is that an iPhoto library? Do you have a sense what the difference in "performance" (scrolling, opening, manipulating, tagging, etc.) is between the photos on the internal vs. external drive? My hope is to develop a solution that will enable me to have access to my library from either Mac without a huge difference in "performance" from what it would be if the iPhoto library were resident on the internal drive of one of them.

I'd thought Dropbox might be a way to do this (!00 GB is about $100/yr), but after reading a few threads about the issue on the Dropbox forums (here's an example: <http://forums.dropbox.com/topic.php?id=26377>) I won't go down that road. (Apparently Dropbox "resolves" symbolic links within packages, replacing pointers to files in the package with duplicate copies of those files, meaning that a Dropbox-resident iPhoto library may balloon to double or triple its size if it's kept where Steve Jobs and God intended it, in the ~/Pictures folder).

So, now I'm considering three options:

1. LAN access to the iPhoto library (which will always be in the default place on the MacBook Pro) from the Mac Pro. I'm worried that the performance hit for this will be too great when I'm running the iPhoto app on the Mac Pro. The advantage of this approach is that whenever I'm working on the Mac Pro, the MacBook Pro is sitting right next to it, and I have an ongoing Time Machine backup of the MacBook Pro.

2. USB stick location for the Library. My simple arithmetic (which doesn't even begin to take into account symbolic links and the size complications that might cause) tells me that the largest USB stick currently available (64 GB) might be too small for my iPhoto library pretty quickly.

3. Firewire external bus-powered drive. I think this would be the fastest solution, with the most room for growth as well.

Of course, either #2 or #3 require some backup strategy considerations, but I think I could sort that out.

Comments?

Thanks in advance.

--
Jim Robertson
__o
_-\<,_
(*)/ (*)
```````````````````````````````````````````````````````
My other car is an S-Works Roubaix

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

3c.

Re: Organizing my digital photos

Posted by: "James Robertson" jamesrob@sonic.net   jamesrob328i

Wed May 23, 2012 6:17 am (PDT)




On May 22, 2012, at 5:37 PM, Daly Jessup wrote:

> And if a thumb drive is too small, you could get a little tiny USB external drive

I'm thinking this will be the way I go. By "little tiny" I think you mean physical footpring on my desk, not GB capacity :-).

And, I'm guessing that I should do this with FW800 rather than USB for the fastest possible performance (which should be dramatically faster than the performance of a USB flash drive).

Am I on target, or way off base?

Thanks again!

--
Jim Robertson
__o
_-\<,_
(*)/ (*)
```````````````````````````````````````````````````````
My other car is an S-Works Roubaix

3d.

Re: Organizing my digital photos

Posted by: "Hugh Crymble" hcrymble@bmts.com   hcrymble

Wed May 23, 2012 6:22 am (PDT)



You might try a hard drive dock such as Newer Technologies Voyager q.

http://www.newertech.com/products/voyagerq.php

Lots of expandability.

hugh

On WednesdayMay 23, 2012, at WedMay/23/12 9:14 AM, James Robertson wrote:

>
> On May 22, 2012, at 3:00 PM, Jim Saklad wrote:
>
> > The photo library on the internal drive on my Macbook Pro is just under 90 GB, not counting the 15 GB on the "Spare" external drive.
>
> Is that an iPhoto library? Do you have a sense what the difference in "performance" (scrolling, opening, manipulating, tagging, etc.) is between the photos on the internal vs. external drive? My hope is to develop a solution that will enable me to have access to my library from either Mac without a huge difference in "performance" from what it would be if the iPhoto library were resident on the internal drive of one of them.
>
> I'd thought Dropbox might be a way to do this (!00 GB is about $100/yr), but after reading a few threads about the issue on the Dropbox forums (here's an example: <http://forums.dropbox.com/topic.php?id=26377>) I won't go down that road. (Apparently Dropbox "resolves" symbolic links within packages, replacing pointers to files in the package with duplicate copies of those files, meaning that a Dropbox-resident iPhoto library may balloon to double or triple its size if it's kept where Steve Jobs and God intended it, in the ~/Pictures folder).
>
> So, now I'm considering three options:
>
> 1. LAN access to the iPhoto library (which will always be in the default place on the MacBook Pro) from the Mac Pro. I'm worried that the performance hit for this will be too great when I'm running the iPhoto app on the Mac Pro. The advantage of this approach is that whenever I'm working on the Mac Pro, the MacBook Pro is sitting right next to it, and I have an ongoing Time Machine backup of the MacBook Pro.
>
> 2. USB stick location for the Library. My simple arithmetic (which doesn't even begin to take into account symbolic links and the size complications that might cause) tells me that the largest USB stick currently available (64 GB) might be too small for my iPhoto library pretty quickly.
>
> 3. Firewire external bus-powered drive. I think this would be the fastest solution, with the most room for growth as well.
>
> Of course, either #2 or #3 require some backup strategy considerations, but I think I could sort that out.
>
> Comments?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> --
> Jim Robertson
> __o
> _-\<,_
> (*)/ (*)
> ```````````````````````````````````````````````````````
> My other car is an S-Works Roubaix
>
> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>
>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

4a.

Re: When is(if) Apple offering their summer educational discounts?

Posted by: "Tod Hopkins" hoplist@hillmanncarr.com   todhop

Wed May 23, 2012 5:25 am (PDT)



While they sometimes run specific promotions (my son got a "free" iPod with his laptop), the standard educational discounts are always available. I would expect any special promotions to run in July/August.

For students...

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/findyourschool

It is my experience that you can match the standard educational discount or even do slightly better via other vendors, but this may vary from school to school. And then there is the refurb store. I bought our second "student" laptop direct from Amazon for slightly less overall than the standard ed discount. No special offers at the time.

Cheers,
tod

On May 22, 2012, at 10:49 AM, Budd T wrote:

> I previously ordered 2 days before it began and was told "Too bad".
> We need another Mac for school and don't want to miss it this year.
>
>

Tod Hopkins
Hillmann & Carr Inc.
todhopkins-at-hillmanncarr.com

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

5.

10.5.6 Question

Posted by: "Guy Kudlemyer" gwkuddles@comcast.net   truckersroost

Wed May 23, 2012 5:45 am (PDT)



Hello:

I use the Command-Tab feature a lot to move from one open application to
another. In 10.5.6, is there an option that I can choose where, when I
Command-Tab to another open application, that the rest of the applications
are automatically hidden?

I know that I can use Option-Command-H to ³Hide Others², but that is more BS
than I want to go through. I want it to happen automatically. Yet, I can¹t
find any way to make it happen.

Help anyone?

Thanks!

Guy
Thurston, OR

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

6a.

Re: Apple Data Center Maiden NC Picture

Posted by: "johnvphoto" jvlist@comcast.net   johnvphoto

Wed May 23, 2012 5:45 am (PDT)



--- In macsupportcentral@yahoogroups.com, Denver Dan <denver.dan@...> wrote:
>
> Howdy.
>
> The new Apple Data Center near Maiden, North Carolina, USA, is now
> visible from satellite on Google Maps.

Thanks.... the building looks like an external hard drive. Wonder if that was intentional.

Recent Activity
Visit Your Group
New web site?

Drive traffic now.

Get your business

on Yahoo! search.

Yahoo! Finance

It's Now Personal

Guides, news,

advice & more.

Sitebuilder

Build a web site

quickly & easily

with Sitebuilder.

Need to Reply?

Click one of the "Reply" links to respond to a specific message in the Daily Digest.

Create New Topic | Visit Your Group on the Web