5/29/2012

[macsupport] Digest Number 8919

Messages In This Digest (25 Messages)

1.1.
Re: thumbnails too small From: Forrest Leedy
1.2.
Re: thumbnails too small From: Kitty
1.3.
Re: thumbnails too small From: Otto Nikolaus
1.4.
Re: thumbnails too small From: Daly Jessup
1.5.
Re: thumbnails too small From: Daly Jessup
1.6.
Re: thumbnails too small From: Anna Larson
1.7.
Re: thumbnails too small From: Kitty
2a.
Re: Traveling in Europe with ATT iPads From: Roger Harris
3a.
Re: Unix executable files From: Joan Mihay
3b.
Re: Unix executable files From: Joan Mihay
3c.
Re: Unix executable files From: Alan Fry
3d.
Re: Unix executable files From: N.A. Nada
3e.
Re: Unix executable files From: Jim Saklad
3f.
Re: Unix executable files From: Jim Saklad
3g.
Re: Unix executable files From: Otto Nikolaus
3h.
Re: Unix executable files From: George Barker
3i.
Re: Unix executable files From: Daly Jessup
4a.
Evernote versus Springpad From: joan05061
4b.
Re: Evernote versus Springpad From: joan05061
5a.
Re: OOPS! From: Daly Jessup
5b.
Re: OOPS! From: Jim Saklad
6a.
Re: Adobe Elements 10 From: fhopk902
6b.
Re: Adobe Elements 10 From: Jim Saklad
7a.
D10 Conference From: Harry Flaxman
7b.
D10 Conference From: Harry Flaxman

Messages

1.1.

Re: thumbnails too small

Posted by: "Forrest Leedy" f.leedy@comcast.net   forrkazu

Tue May 29, 2012 5:52 am (PDT)



Has anybody considered the resolution and pixel size of these photos? That has a lot to do with the size of photos that you attach to an email.

Forrest

On May 28, 2012, at 10:30 PM, Kitty wrote:

> I'm taxing mt feeble brain and wasting this whole day, except for a nice exploratory walk with my two little dogs, trying to get this figured out! Thank you Bekah but I only get an option to import and its all down hill from there. Nothing you mentioned is offered.
>
> --- In macsupportcentral@yahoogroups.com, Bekah <bekah0176@...> wrote:
>>
>> On May 28, 2012, at 5:15 PM, Kitty wrote:
>>
>>> I just enlarged and dragged five photos to a new desk-top folder then tried to email them to myself even tho they were still too small
>
>> I think dragging them might be part of the problem. Try actually "export" if you have that option.
>>
>> To "export"
>> Go to iPhoto and click on a thumbnail there. Then from the top menu choose File > Export ... and choose your "Kind" (.jpg) ?, Quality (medium?), Size (full, large, medium, small, custom) and any other option. Click "Export." A new menu will come up which asks the destination - choose the new folder you set up (so you can find it and identify it).
>>
>> To "import:"
>> If you have a picture on your desktop or in a folder but NOT in iPhoto, you can open iPhoto and use File > Import to Library. Then a screen will show up to ask which photo. I don't know if your version of iPhoto has this but that's the way I do it.
>>
>> ***
>> Bekah
>>

1.2.

Re: thumbnails too small

Posted by: "Kitty" kquen2008@yahoo.com   kquen2008

Tue May 29, 2012 3:35 pm (PDT)



Otto,

Wasn't it you who suggested or said something about "importing" photos? All I'm trying to do is attach them to emails. Or even create and share a slide show. If you didn't suggest importing, I don't recall who did.

Meantime ,both Yahoo and Firefox have been, for months, hounding me about updating. I've attempted to do both just to get them off my back. Firefox requires OS 10.5 or later so that's out, I'm at 10.4.11. And as a result of updating Yahoo, my mail page is now hardly recognizable with some kind of crowding/overlapping/cutting off going on, making it hard to read and navigating awkward and irritating. Plus, there is now no option to 'flag' messages, which I used allot. I wish I could go back to the old version.


Kitty
eMac
OS 10.4.11
1.25GHz Power PC G4
1.25 GB DDR SDRAM
Firefox 3.6.28
Yahoo email

--- In macsupportcentral@yahoogroups.com, Otto Nikolaus <otto.nikolaus@...> wrote:
>
> On 29 May 2012 01:15, Kitty <kquen2008@...> wrote:
>
> > I just enlarged and dragged five photos to a new desk-top folder then
> > tried to email them to myself even tho they were still too small in thew
> > folder. After 20 minutes of w.a.i.t.i.n.g, I aborted and tried mailing just
> > one to myself. But again they're just too damn small!
> >
> > How do you import photos?
> >
>
> I'm not sure what you're trying to do. If by "import", you mean attach to
> an email, enlarging the original images will make no difference to the size
> of the thumbnails.
>
>
> > Of course NOT, Otto. If it was that easy would I be going through all
> > this? ....noooooooo
> >
>
> I'm only one OS version (10.5) ahead of you. I wish I could remember what
> the differences are.
>
> >
> > Yes, I deleted it long ago, not liking it, then. Now it doesn't seem I can
> > download it.
> >
>
> I think I've got a 10.4 clone somewhere. I could try sending you a copy of
> Mail if you want.
>
> >
> > Gmail, as I understand it, is one of the worst for violating one's privacy
> > rights, I'd never use it. But to each his own...
> >
>
> That was not my point, which is that webmail is just as good for sending
> attachments as Mail: in either case a Finder window opens, I navigate to
> the file(s) and select them. Have you tried using Camino or Safari with
> Yahoo Mail?
>
> Your version of iPhoto is not the issue.
>
> Otto
>
>
> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>

1.3.

Re: thumbnails too small

Posted by: "Otto Nikolaus" otto.nikolaus@googlemail.com   nikyzf

Tue May 29, 2012 4:01 pm (PDT)



No. Someone else mentioned Import and Export in iPhoto. I don't think that
iPhoto is at all relevant to your problem, other that in preselecting your
photos for email attachment later.

How does your version of Safari work with Yahoo Mail, and how about Camino?
<http://caminobrowser.org/download/>

Otto

On 29 May 2012 23:35, Kitty <kquen2008@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Otto,
>
> Wasn't it you who suggested or said something about "importing" photos?
> All I'm trying to do is attach them to emails. Or even create and share a
> slide show. If you didn't suggest importing, I don't recall who did.
>
> Meantime ,both Yahoo and Firefox have been, for months, hounding me about
> updating. I've attempted to do both just to get them off my back. Firefox
> requires OS 10.5 or later so that's out, I'm at 10.4.11. And as a result
> of updating Yahoo, my mail page is now hardly recognizable with some kind
> of crowding/overlapping/cutting off going on, making it hard to read and
> navigating awkward and irritating. Plus, there is now no option to 'flag'
> messages, which I used allot. I wish I could go back to the old version.
>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

1.4.

Re: thumbnails too small

Posted by: "Daly Jessup" jessup@san.rr.com   dalyjessup

Tue May 29, 2012 5:07 pm (PDT)




On May 27, 2012, at 4:49 PM, Kitty wrote:

> Thanks Daly, I get that but I still don't know how to enlarge the thumbnails I choose to send. Renaming each photo and all that 'back and forthing' is much too tedious and time consuming. There's got to be a better way. Kitty

I don't know a better way except if you adopt someone else's suggestion to forward your Yahoo mail to Mail.app, which handles picture attachments much better.

Daly
1.5.

Re: thumbnails too small

Posted by: "Daly Jessup" jessup@san.rr.com   dalyjessup

Tue May 29, 2012 5:10 pm (PDT)




On May 27, 2012, at 9:25 PM, Kitty wrote:

> Brent,
>
> No need to start talking down to and treating me badly because I'm having a hard time figuring out a simpler way to enlarge the thumbnails. I never said I was trying to enlarge them from my email, tho it would certainly be a good thing if one could.
>
> I won't bring it up anymore but will always wonder how others are able to share photos while I can't for not being able to see which ones I'm dealing. K

Kitty, I would guess that most people are not using Yahoo webmail for sending emails. If you would use Mail.app your troubles with this would be over. Most other people don't use Yahoo Mail, which is why they don't have your problem.

In Mail.app, you click an icon in the upper right of the message, and your photo collection appears, with all its albums. The pictures show their names. You double-click a thumbnail and it gets larger. You like it? Drag it into the message. Done.

Daly
1.6.

Re: thumbnails too small

Posted by: "Anna Larson" pix@maksimo.de   yovard@ymail.com

Tue May 29, 2012 9:22 pm (PDT)




On 25.05.2012, at 00:05, Kitty wrote:

>
>
> Creating an email, I want to attach a photo. So I hit the words "ad attachment" on the Yahoo email window. The browser opens with places to choose up to 5 photos. I hit the first spot which opens to desk-top options where I have various named folders of photos to choose from. I open a folder but the photos in it are so small.....

If you still insist on using the Yahoo webmail service then enlarging the thumbnails before you send photos shouldn't be any problem at all, contrary to what people here on the list have been telling you. In fact you have several options to choose from to accomplish this task. I am using OS 10.7.4, but I think this works basically the same in Tiger (v. 10.4.11).

You use iPhoto to store your photos. Right?

OPTION 1

1) Open your Yahoo mail. It should look something like this (screenshot no. 1).

http://minus.com/mDZTyu3DS/

[This page contains 8 screenshots. Use the arrow keys on your keyboard to navigate, or click on the arrows on the left and right side of the page. Please click on the pictures to enlarge them. The browser is Safari]

As you can see two emails are flagged, which means this option is still offered by Yahoo, contrary to what you said in an earlier email.

2) Now click the "Compose Message" button. What you should see is shown on screenshot no. 2.

3) Press the "Attach Files" button and navigate to MEDIA (in the left lower corner of the Sidebar) and select "Photos". You will see the photos you have in iPhoto, large enough to pick and insert them into your Yahoo mail by clicking on the "Open" button. See screenshot no. 3 (with written instructions).

If this MEDIA-Option, as I call it, is not available in OS 10.4.11 then go to

OPTION 2

1) Open iPhoto; choose the photos you want to send
2) Create a folder on the Desktop and give it a meaningful name (I called my folder "Kitty").
3) Export the photos from iPhoto and place them into this folder.
4) Open your Yahoo mail.
5) Click the "Compose Message" button and then the "Attach files" button
6) Navigate to the folder into which you previously put your photos
7) What you now see might look like screenshot no. 4

The thumbnails are far too small, aren't they? That's because they are small in Finder (I made it deliberately that way for the sake of this demonstration). In order to *enlarge* the thumbnails you do this:

A) Open the folder in Finder (in our example the "Kitty" folder) and follow the instruction on screenshot no. 5.

B) Now go back to Yahoo mail, press the "Attach files" button and you will see that the thumbnails are now much BIGGER (see screenshot no. 6).

You can also use the Cover Flow option which brings us to

OPTION 3

a) Follow the instruction on screenshot no. 7

b) This will give you huge thumbnails! See screenshot no. 8

And now, after you have successfully sent photos of your beloved little animals, you can – or rather should – delete the folder you created on the Desktop. The originals are in iPhoto and we don't want to clutter our hard disks with duplicates, do we?

Was this helpful?

Anna Larson
OS X 10.7.4
MacBook Pro 17''

1.7.

Re: thumbnails too small

Posted by: "Kitty" kquen2008@yahoo.com   kquen2008

Tue May 29, 2012 9:53 pm (PDT)



I have thought about that Forrest, but don't know how to make any changes. Kitty


--- In macsupportcentral@yahoogroups.com, Forrest Leedy <f.leedy@...> wrote:
>
> Has anybody considered the resolution and pixel size of these photos? That has a lot to do with the size of photos that you attach to an email.
>
> Forrest
>
> On May 28, 2012, at 10:30 PM, Kitty wrote:
>
> > I'm taxing mt feeble brain and wasting this whole day, except for a nice exploratory walk with my two little dogs, trying to get this figured out! Thank you Bekah but I only get an option to import and its all down hill from there. Nothing you mentioned is offered.
> >
> > --- In macsupportcentral@yahoogroups.com, Bekah <bekah0176@> wrote:
> >>
> >> On May 28, 2012, at 5:15 PM, Kitty wrote:
> >>
> >>> I just enlarged and dragged five photos to a new desk-top folder then tried to email them to myself even tho they were still too small
> >
> >> I think dragging them might be part of the problem. Try actually "export" if you have that option.
> >>
> >> To "export"
> >> Go to iPhoto and click on a thumbnail there. Then from the top menu choose File > Export ... and choose your "Kind" (.jpg) ?, Quality (medium?), Size (full, large, medium, small, custom) and any other option. Click "Export." A new menu will come up which asks the destination - choose the new folder you set up (so you can find it and identify it).
> >>
> >> To "import:"
> >> If you have a picture on your desktop or in a folder but NOT in iPhoto, you can open iPhoto and use File > Import to Library. Then a screen will show up to ask which photo. I don't know if your version of iPhoto has this but that's the way I do it.
> >>
> >> ***
> >> Bekah
> >>
>

2a.

Re: Traveling in Europe with ATT iPads

Posted by: "Roger Harris" skunktown@gmail.com   robo_booger

Tue May 29, 2012 6:03 am (PDT)



Jim, since we are getting afield of the topic - allow me... Here are a few apps that I like for Paris: Paris2Go (tons of info w/wikipedia articles), RATP, Metro (both for the bus and metro systems), CityMaps2Go, OffMaps2 (both for mapping). None of these require an internet connection.

Also, (only) if you have an American Express card, check out the Velib system online before you go. Bike rentals with pickup and drop off throughout the city.

Roger

--- In macsupportcentral@yahoogroups.com, James Robertson <jamesrob@...> wrote:
>
>
> On May 28, 2012, at 8:00 AM, Robert Buscaglia wrote:
>
> > Will you be on your own or with a group? If with a group, do you really need to be connected or just enjoy the experience?
>
> Starting to get a bit afield of the topic title, but in the six years since I was last in France, things have changed quite a bit. It looks as though the "DK Eyewitness Travel Guides" which were my fountains of information have been pretty much supplanted (at least for where I'll be going) by their multi-touch iPad apps, which integrate fabulously with Google Maps. We won't have a guide in Paris. In Brittany and Normandy we will, so I won't need to worry about connectivity there (much).
>
> --
> Jim Robertson
>
> Mac Pro (Early 2008, Dual 2.8 Quad Core Xeons, 6 GB RAM
> OS X 10.7.4)
> MacBook Pro (15 inch Early 2011, 2 Ghz Intel Quad Core i7, 8 GB RAM
> OS X 10.7.4)
> iPad2 (16 GB ATT
> iOS 5.1.1)
> iPhone 4s (16 GB ATT
> iOS 5.1.1)
>

3a.

Re: Unix executable files

Posted by: "Joan Mihay" jmihay@charter.net   mihayjoan

Tue May 29, 2012 8:58 am (PDT)



They were created on WriteNow 3 or maybe 4.

3b.

Re: Unix executable files

Posted by: "Joan Mihay" jmihay@charter.net   mihayjoan

Tue May 29, 2012 9:00 am (PDT)



unix executable files will not open with TextEdit.

3c.

Re: Unix executable files

Posted by: "Alan Fry" ajf@afco.demon.co.uk   alanjohnfry

Tue May 29, 2012 10:13 am (PDT)




On 29 May 2012, at 16:58, Joan Mihay wrote:

> They were created on WriteNow 3 or maybe 4.
>
I too have a number of WriteNow files and have so far been totally unable to read them with anything on Mac OS X. I fear you will be similarly stuck but if you do find a solution I would be very interested to know.

Searches for an old copy of WriteNow have drawn a blank. Anyway one would have to find a machine with System 7 (or maybe 8?) to be able to run it. Given the old copy and the machine to run it on, the problem would be solved because WriteNow did have the ability to save files as pure text as well as in its own special format.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Alan Fry
>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

3d.

Re: Unix executable files

Posted by: "N.A. Nada" whodo678@comcast.net

Tue May 29, 2012 10:32 am (PDT)



If you read this article in Wikipedia, I believe that Alan is correct. It would have been a lot easier if Joan had just told us they were written with Write now.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WriteNow

The only glimmer of hope is if she has a copy of WriteNow and access to a Mac that can run Mac OS Classic or sooner.

The reason several of us suggested TextEdit, is that several other old apps confuse the suffix in modern Mac OS X and put a unix suffix on them.

Brent

On May 29, 2012, at 10:13 AM, Alan Fry wrote:

On 29 May 2012, at 16:58, Joan Mihay wrote:

> They were created on WriteNow 3 or maybe 4.
>
I too have a number of WriteNow files and have so far been totally unable to read them with anything on Mac OS X. I fear you will be similarly stuck but if you do find a solution I would be very interested to know.

Searches for an old copy of WriteNow have drawn a blank. Anyway one would have to find a machine with System 7 (or maybe 8?) to be able to run it. Given the old copy and the machine to run it on, the problem would be solved because WriteNow did have the ability to save files as pure text as well as in its own special format.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Alan Fry
>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

3e.

Re: Unix executable files

Posted by: "Jim Saklad" jimdoc@me.com   jimdoc01

Tue May 29, 2012 12:06 pm (PDT)



> unix executable files will not open with TextEdit.

On my machine, some files *labelled* "Unix Executable File" WILL open, and others will NOT.

You could try downloading the (free) TextWrangler application from BareBones:
<http://www.barebones.com/products/textwrangler/index.html>
and use that, and if the file IS indeed a text file, save it as one out of TW.

TW will open almost anything.

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Jim Saklad mailto:jimdoc@me.com

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

3f.

Re: Unix executable files

Posted by: "Jim Saklad" jimdoc@me.com   jimdoc01

Tue May 29, 2012 12:14 pm (PDT)



>> unix executable files will not open with TextEdit.
>
> On my machine, some files *labelled* "Unix Executable File" WILL open, and others will NOT.
>
> You could try downloading the (free) TextWrangler application from BareBones:
> <http://www.barebones.com/products/textwrangler/index.html>
> and use that, and if the file IS indeed a text file, save it as one out of TW.
>
> TW will open almost anything.

I have now discovered that even after opening a unix executable file in TW and saving it out as text, the result still would not open in TextEdit.

However, having opened it in TW, it is easy to "Select All", "Copy", and then move to TextEdit and "Paste" the text there.

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Jim Saklad mailto:jimdoc@me.com

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

3g.

Re: Unix executable files

Posted by: "Otto Nikolaus" otto.nikolaus@googlemail.com   nikyzf

Tue May 29, 2012 1:33 pm (PDT)



On 29 May 2012 18:13, Alan Fry <ajf@afco.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> I too have a number of WriteNow files and have so far been totally unable
> to read them with anything on Mac OS X. I fear you will be similarly stuck
> but if you do find a solution I would be very interested to know.
>
> Searches for an old copy of WriteNow have drawn a blank. Anyway one would
> have to find a machine with System 7 (or maybe 8?) to be able to run it.
> Given the old copy and the machine to run it on, the problem would be
> solved because WriteNow did have the ability to save files as pure text as
> well as in its own special format.
>
> Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.
>

All this goes to show that if you are upgrading a computer and are no
longer able to use an app, make sure you've done something with the files
while you still can.

This might be of interest, though.
<
https://discussions.apple.com/message/7696929?messageID=7696929#7696929?messageID=7696929
>
or <http://bit.ly/LDvlBW>

Otto

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

3h.

Re: Unix executable files

Posted by: "George Barker" lynxster@ihug.com.au   four46

Tue May 29, 2012 5:09 pm (PDT)



>On 29 May 2012, at 16:58, Joan Mihay wrote:
>
> > They were created on WriteNow 3 or maybe 4.
>>
>I too have a number of WriteNow files and have so far been totally
>unable to read them with anything on Mac OS X. I fear you will be
>similarly stuck but if you do find a solution I would be very
>interested to know.
>
>Searches for an old copy of WriteNow have drawn a blank. Anyway one
>would have to find a machine with System 7 (or maybe 8?) to be able
>to run it. Given the old copy and the machine to run it on, the
>problem would be solved because WriteNow did have the ability to
>save files as pure text as well as in its own special format.
>
>Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.
>
>Alan Fry

I've got a copy of WriteNow 2 if it's of any use to anyone?

George
--
----------------------------------------------------------
George Barker
----------------------------------------------------------

3i.

Re: Unix executable files

Posted by: "Daly Jessup" jessup@san.rr.com   dalyjessup

Tue May 29, 2012 5:32 pm (PDT)




On May 28, 2012, at 2:10 PM, N.A. Nada wrote:

> I agree with Jim.
>
> When I find an old file like that, just to be on the safe side, I duplicate it and change the suffix to either ".txt" or ".rtf". For me they are usually old AOL emails I've saved.

I agree as well. I had a friend who had messed up hundreds (thousands?) of files and they were all Unix executables. But based on the folders they were in we were able to guess more or less what kinds of files they were. Eventually she recovered all but about 20 of them by adding suffixes until one would work. The most common were: .pdf, .txt, and .jpg

Daly
4a.

Evernote versus Springpad

Posted by: "joan05061" jsax@me.com   joan05061

Tue May 29, 2012 9:38 am (PDT)



Has anyone had experience with these two apps and, if so, what are the advantages/disadvantages of each? I like having at my fingertips notes that also can be synched with my desktop and laptop.

TIA

Joan in Vermont, where lightening struck our old ash tree last night. Quite an exciting thunderstorm.

4b.

Re: Evernote versus Springpad

Posted by: "joan05061" jsax@me.com   joan05061

Tue May 29, 2012 11:05 am (PDT)



Actually, I found a very thorough article on the net (http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9216401/Try_to_remember_Evernote_vs._Springpad?taxonomyId=18&pageNumber=1) comparing the two. I have decided to stay with Evernote, but the article is an excellent way for anyone to get a good idea of the good features of each.

Joan

--- In macsupportcentral@yahoogroups.com, "joan05061" <jsax@...> wrote:
>
> Has anyone had experience with these two apps and, if so, what are the advantages/disadvantages of each? I like having at my fingertips notes that also can be synched with my desktop and laptop.
>
> TIA
>
> Joan in Vermont, where lightening struck our old ash tree last night. Quite an exciting thunderstorm.
>

5a.

Re: OOPS!

Posted by: "Daly Jessup" jessup@san.rr.com   dalyjessup

Tue May 29, 2012 5:29 pm (PDT)




On May 28, 2012, at 1:06 PM, Jim Robertson wrote:

> Drag the applications icon from the "root" Finder window to the Dock.
>
> Sent from my iPad
>
> On May 28, 2012, at 8:47, "Denton" <wb0zur@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi Everybody,
>> I hope everybody is having a good Memorial Day!
>>
>> Well I did a oops, my applications tab is gone on the dock? (i don't know right beside the Finder on the bottom of the page)
>>
>> Would somebody tell me how to get it back? I can look at it in the finder, I just need to get it back.

Well, not exactly "root," but go to your hard drive and there you will see the Applications folder. Drag it to the sidebar. Everything on the sidebar is an alias or pointer, to the actual file. You can't lose any real data by discarding items from the sidebar.

In fact, if you want to remove things from the sidebar, hold Command and just drag them off the bar toward the Desktop, and let go of the mouse button. Poof! Gone! Then go back to the original item and drag it back to the Sidebar, and you are as good as new.

Just this weekend I had a panicked call from a client who had "deleted" his Documents folder. Turns out he had accidentally dragged it off the side bar. Obviously, the fix was very quick.

Daly

5b.

Re: OOPS!

Posted by: "Jim Saklad" jimdoc@me.com   jimdoc01

Tue May 29, 2012 5:43 pm (PDT)



>> Drag the applications icon from the "root" Finder window to the Dock.
>
> Well, not exactly "root," but go to your hard drive and there you will see the Applications folder.

Yes, exactly root.
The top-level directory of a hard drive is correctly referred to as the root level.

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Jim Saklad mailto:jimdoc@me.com

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

6a.

Re: Adobe Elements 10

Posted by: "fhopk902" fhopk902@yahoo.com   fhopk902

Tue May 29, 2012 5:51 pm (PDT)



dolores

Down loading PS Elements 10 should not be a problem if you have a reasonably fast connection. It seems Adobe's apps have grown very large over the years. When you download it you will find its a disk image (dmg) in your downloads folder. Open and follow the directions, it's pretty straight forward. The disk image will remain in the download folder and can be moved to a back-up disk or burned to a dvd.

The problems you read about may be incompatability with Lion. I'm afraid i'm not familiar with them, so you should do some more research before purchasing. In any case any compatability problems would probably exist in both the download or retail disk versions.

Hop

--- In macsupportcentral@yahoogroups.com, "Dolores" <djdesi98@...> wrote:
>
> I want to upgrade to Adobe Elements 10. I remember reading about problems with this software, but don't remember what they are. Does anyone know if the problems were corrected?
>
> This is a download I believe and I've never downloaded a major program. Should I do a back-up and if so - how do I back it up?
>
> dolores
>

6b.

Re: Adobe Elements 10

Posted by: "Jim Saklad" jimdoc@me.com   jimdoc01

Tue May 29, 2012 6:38 pm (PDT)



> Down loading PS Elements 10 should not be a problem if you have a reasonably fast connection. It seems Adobe's apps have grown very large over the years. When you download it you will find its a disk image (dmg) in your downloads folder. Open and follow the directions, it's pretty straight forward. The disk image will remain in the download folder and can be moved to a back-up disk or burned to a dvd.

I don't do the following for ALL downloaded .dmg's, but for major programs and updates, after installing, I move the .dmg file to an Archives directory for future reference.

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Jim Saklad mailto:jimdoc@me.com

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

7a.

D10 Conference

Posted by: "Harry Flaxman" harry.flaxman@me.com   hflaxman001

Tue May 29, 2012 6:06 pm (PDT)



Tim Cook will be opening night speaker at the D10 this year. Most
notably absent is anyone from the main group at Microsoft. The closest
M$ gets is Tony Bates, President of the Skype division.

Where is Uncle Fester when we need him? :) :)

See: http://allthingsd.com/conferences/d/d10/speakers/

http://allthingsd.com/category/d10/

Harry

7b.

D10 Conference

Posted by: "Harry Flaxman" harry.flaxman@me.com   hflaxman001

Tue May 29, 2012 6:07 pm (PDT)



Tim Cook will be opening night speaker at the D10 this year. Most
notably absent is anyone from the main group at Microsoft. The closest
M$ gets is Tony Bates, President of the Skype division.

Where is Uncle Fester when we need him? :) :)

See: http://allthingsd.com/conferences/d/d10/speakers/

http://allthingsd.com/category/d10/

Harry

Recent Activity
Visit Your Group
Sell Online

Start selling with

our award-winning

e-commerce tools.

Yahoo! Finance

It's Now Personal

Guides, news,

advice & more.

New web site?

Drive traffic now.

Get your business

on Yahoo! search.

Need to Reply?

Click one of the "Reply" links to respond to a specific message in the Daily Digest.

Create New Topic | Visit Your Group on the Web