5/31/2012

[macsupport] Digest Number 8922

Mac Support Central

Messages In This Digest (14 Messages)

Messages

1.1.

Re: thumbnails too small

Posted by: "Anna Larson" pix@maksimo.de   yovard@ymail.com

Wed May 30, 2012 10:32 pm (PDT)



Hello Peter,

welcome and thanks for chiming in. You are the right man because you have the right system configuration (10.4.11 and iPhoto 5).

On 30.05.2012, at 20:02, gicleeman wrote:

>
> I also am using OS 10.4.11 and iPhoto 5.0.4 (…)
>
> When you click on "Attach Files" in Yahoo mail your Finder window opens to allow you to select your attachment(s). You can view your Finder's contents in any of 3 different ways; icon view, list view, or column view. The only way you'll see an enlarged thumbnail is if you have the Finder "view" configured to "Column View".

I hope Kitty will read this and from now on use the Column View.

> The first view is "list view", which shows a thumbnail that is way to small to see the content. The 2nd example is the column view, which gives you a fairly decent size thumbnail to preview before uploading to your email.
>
> http://www.morrobaygiclee.com/Picture4.jpg

But where is the icon view button? I can't see any icon view button on your screenshot.

Anna

1.2.

Re: thumbnails too small

Posted by: "Anna Larson" pix@maksimo.de   yovard@ymail.com

Wed May 30, 2012 10:33 pm (PDT)




On 30.05.2012, at 14:44, Daly Jessup wrote:

>
> The idea of moving her photos to a folder in the Finder was suggested quite some time ago.

You are right, Daly. I can't remember though whether the poster also mentioned the fact that the thumbnail-size in the navigation window depends on the display-size in Finder. Therefore I thought it was right to emphasize that point.

> the OP said more than once that it was too much trouble for her to find her photos and select them in the Finder. She wants to be able to see large icons and file names within Yahoo and not have to go to the Finder.

If you ask me, I would also like to be able to go directly into my kitchen and fetch a juicy steak and a couple of cold drinks whenever I want to without ever having to go first to the supermarket and buy food .... because it is "too much trouble". :-)

Anna

2a.

Re: How do I recover deleted files?

Posted by: "N.A. Nada" whodo678@comcast.net

Wed May 30, 2012 10:41 pm (PDT)



Hopefully, you are using another computer to do this research so you don't overwrite what you are trying to recover. The dot before "the file or folder name" makes the item invisible.

On May 30, 2012, at 8:24 PM, LouisD wrote:

I figured out that the Trash file on my Data HD is called ".Trashes" for whatever reason. I was able to navigate to that folder in Terminal, but it tells me that Permission is denied.

Lou

--- In macsupportcentral@yahoogroups.com, "LouisD" <lou@...> wrote:
>
> Otto,
>
> My Data HD is a 1 GB internal Sata drive dedicated to data and is not partitioned. I'm totally new to Terminal, so I am not very good at this. I used to do a lot of DOS stuff on PCs, but they are quite different. I managed to get to my Data HD in terminal, but don't see a Trash folder.
>
> Lou

2b.

Re: How do I recover deleted files?

Posted by: "Otto Nikolaus" otto.nikolaus@googlemail.com   nikyzf

Thu May 31, 2012 3:11 am (PDT)



Before you go any further, what happened to the images from the camera?
Were they on a memory card? Have you erased the card? If so, simply follow
my instructions as they are.

Have you installed TestDisk/PhotoRec?

Yes, .Trashes is normally hidden. That's what the "." does. It's a system
directory owned by root.

Otto

On 31 May 2012 04:24, LouisD <lou@loudina.com> wrote:

> I figured out that the Trash file on my Data HD is called ".Trashes" for
> whatever reason. I was able to navigate to that folder in Terminal, but it
> tells me that Permission is denied.
>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

2c.

Re: How do I recover deleted files?

Posted by: "Otto Nikolaus" otto.nikolaus@googlemail.com   nikyzf

Thu May 31, 2012 3:11 am (PDT)



This won't happen if you use PhotoRec.

Otto

On 31 May 2012 06:41, N.A. Nada <whodo678@comcast.net> wrote:

> Hopefully, you are using another computer to do this research so you don't
> overwrite what you are trying to recover. The dot before "the file or
> folder name" makes the item invisible.
>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

3a.

Easy Resolution:  iTunes Video Playlist?

Posted by: "Harry Flaxman" harry.flaxman@me.com   hflaxman001

Wed May 30, 2012 11:04 pm (PDT)



Sometime after the past couple of updates, my video playlists will not
play seamlessly non-stop. I have not tried to play some music videos
I've had until last night and found that playback ceased after each video.

At one point, they would play non-stop as any other audio playlist would
play. No more.

What might be the resolution to this? How can I restore non-stop playback.

I'm sure something was changed sometime during the last couple of
updates, but can't put my finger on what.

TIA

Harry

3b.

Re: Easy Resolution:  iTunes Video Playlist?

Posted by: "Anna Larson" pix@maksimo.de   yovard@ymail.com

Thu May 31, 2012 12:34 am (PDT)




On 31.05.2012, at 08:04, Harry Flaxman wrote:

> Sometime after the past couple of updates, my video playlists will not
> play seamlessly non-stop.

I guess you mean the MOVIES folder in the upper left pane. For some strange reason this folder behaves differently than the rest of the folders (I have iTunes 10.6.1).

A button (located at the bottom bar left) enables you to play a playlist once, repeat playlist, or repeat an item. This button is disabled as long as you are in the MOVIES folder.

http://minus.com/m9IxDeifT/

If you switch to a Playlist or Smart Playlist this button is enabled and you can play non-stop.

I don't know whether this was done with an intension, or whether this is a bug. It is certainly annoying.

Anna Larson
OS X 10.7.4
MacBook Pro 17''

3c.

Re: Easy Resolution:  iTunes Video Playlist?

Posted by: "Anna Larson" pix@maksimo.de   yovard@ymail.com

Thu May 31, 2012 12:51 am (PDT)




On 31.05.2012, at 09:34, Anna Larson wrote:

>
> I guess you mean the MOVIES folder in the upper left pane. For some strange reason this folder behaves differently than the rest of the folders (I have iTunes 10.6.1).

I meant the Movies folder in the Library

http://minus.com/mrmPTMjHY/

If you want to play items in this folder nonstop then create a Smart Playlist with the rule:

"Playlist is Movies".

Anna Larson
OS X 10.7.4
MacBook Pro 17''

3d.

Re: Easy Resolution:  iTunes Video Playlist?

Posted by: "Harry Flaxman" harry.flaxman@me.com   hflaxman001

Thu May 31, 2012 5:02 am (PDT)



On 5/31/2012 3:34 AM, Anna Larson wrote:
> If you switch to a Playlist or Smart Playlist this button is enabled and you can play non-stop.
>
> I don't know whether this was done with an intension, or whether this is a bug. It is certainly annoying.

Thanks Anna, however, I am referring to a playlist that is created
independently of the Movies or Music Videos smart playlist.

I've been using iTunes since it's first release and have had no problem
with custom video playlists playing non-stop, however, I haven't tried
in awhile and am assuming that a recent update 'broke' that ability.

Harry

3e.

Re: Easy Resolution:  iTunes Video Playlist?

Posted by: "Harry Flaxman" harry.flaxman@me.com   hflaxman001

Thu May 31, 2012 5:03 am (PDT)



On 5/31/2012 3:51 AM, Anna Larson wrote:
> If you want to play items in this folder nonstop then create a Smart Playlist with the rule:
>
> "Playlist is Movies".

Thanks! Got it.

Harry

4a.

Re: Windows 7 on iMac

Posted by: "Jeff" jbturof@yahoo.com   jbturof

Thu May 31, 2012 5:21 am (PDT)



Okay...so let me see if I understand.
The 'Builder' edition is system specific so if I ever wanted to install onto another machine, I wouldn't be able to...but odds are, if I was installing on another machine, it would be a year or three down the line when I decided to upgrade my Mac anyway.
On the flipside, there's Home Premium and Professional which have very little difference between the two...
So what's truly the difference between Home Premium and Pro?? Networking ability or something?
I've been leaning toward Pro since this is in support of my freelance design business...but if Home Premium would work...
ugh.

Thanks again!

Jeff

--- In macsupportcentral@yahoogroups.com, Jim Hamm <machamm@...> wrote:
>
> I have both Windows 7 Home Premium and Windows 7 Professional and can't
> tell the difference between the two. I'd go with Home Premium if I was
> buying a version.....Jim
>
> On Wed, May 30, 2012 at 11:10 AM, Jeff <jbturof@...> wrote:
>
> > **
> >
> >
> > Hi all.
> > I'd like to install Windows 7 on my new iMac (27" i7 quad-core/Lion) via
> > BootCamp. On looking for a license for Windows to purchase, I became
> > confused as to which Windows 7 I need to buy??
> > I found one that's called
> > "Windows 7 Professional SP1 64bit (Full) System Builder DVD 1 Pack".
> > Another called "Microsoft Windows 7 Professional Upgrade "
> > and a third called "Microsoft Windows 7 Professional".
> >
> > All 3 are 3 different prices ranging from $69 to $250.
> >
> > Might I not even need Professional and just go with Premium Home or just
> > Home edition???
> > For cryin out loud...how many reasons did I need to stay away from Windows
> > at home all these years...except now I need it.
> >
> > Any recommendations as to which I need?
> >
> > Thanks.
> > Jeff
> >
> >
> >
>
>
> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>

4b.

Re: Windows 7 on iMac

Posted by: "Christopher Collins" maclist@analogdigital.com.au   cjc1959au

Thu May 31, 2012 5:44 am (PDT)



Pro allows you to connect to a domain, Home Premium does not.

That's basically it.

cjc

On 31/05/2012, at 10:21 PM, Jeff wrote:

> Okay...so let me see if I understand.
> The 'Builder' edition is system specific so if I ever wanted to install onto another machine, I wouldn't be able to...but odds are, if I was installing on another machine, it would be a year or three down the line when I decided to upgrade my Mac anyway.
> On the flipside, there's Home Premium and Professional which have very little difference between the two...
> So what's truly the difference between Home Premium and Pro?? Networking ability or something?
> I've been leaning toward Pro since this is in support of my freelance design business...but if Home Premium would work...
> ugh.
>
> Thanks again!
>
> Jeff
>
> --- In macsupportcentral@yahoogroups.com, Jim Hamm <machamm@...> wrote:
> >
> > I have both Windows 7 Home Premium and Windows 7 Professional and can't
> > tell the difference between the two. I'd go with Home Premium if I was
> > buying a version.....Jim
> >
> > On Wed, May 30, 2012 at 11:10 AM, Jeff <jbturof@...> wrote:
> >
> > > **
> > >
> > >
> > > Hi all.
> > > I'd like to install Windows 7 on my new iMac (27" i7 quad-core/Lion) via
> > > BootCamp. On looking for a license for Windows to purchase, I became
> > > confused as to which Windows 7 I need to buy??
> > > I found one that's called
> > > "Windows 7 Professional SP1 64bit (Full) System Builder DVD 1 Pack".
> > > Another called "Microsoft Windows 7 Professional Upgrade "
> > > and a third called "Microsoft Windows 7 Professional".
> > >
> > > All 3 are 3 different prices ranging from $69 to $250.
> > >
> > > Might I not even need Professional and just go with Premium Home or just
> > > Home edition???
> > > For cryin out loud...how many reasons did I need to stay away from Windows
> > > at home all these years...except now I need it.
> > >
> > > Any recommendations as to which I need?
> > >
> > > Thanks.
> > > Jeff
> > >

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

4c.

Re: Windows 7 on iMac

Posted by: "Bob Cook" cookrd1@discoveryowners.com   cookrd1

Thu May 31, 2012 5:56 am (PDT)



On Thursday, May 31, 2012, Jeff wrote:
Okay...so let me see if I understand.
>
> **
>
>
The 'Builder' edition is system specific so if I ever wanted to install
> onto another machine, I wouldn't be able to...but odds are, if I was
> installing on another machine, it would be a year or three down the line
> when I decided to upgrade my Mac anyway.
> On the flipside, there's Home Premium and Professional which have very
> little difference between the two...
> So what's truly the difference between Home Premium and Pro?? Networking
> ability or something?
> I've been leaning toward Pro since this is in support of my freelance
> design business...but if Home Premium would work.
>
The Builder edition is for folks building their PC from scratch. Not for
you.

Win7 Pro can join a domain, Home cannot. Pro may be needed for some
proprietary software that only runs on XP using XP virtualization mode only
in Pro. There may still be better disk encryption in Pro.

Some older hardware may not have 64 bit drivers, if so, install 32 bit
version.

Bob

--
-Bob

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

5a.

Re: Traveling in Europe with ATT iPads

Posted by: "Roger Harris" skunktown@gmail.com   robo_booger

Thu May 31, 2012 5:43 am (PDT)



Jim, you might be using a different app than I. Mine is simply called "Metro". Logo is a white "M" in a green circle. With this app, you download the city that you want (from a huge list), and then you can use it offline. I highly recommend using the bus at least a couple times - it's not always as fast, but you see so much more. Buy a "carnet" (10) tickets for a slight discount (at any metro station) and they are good for both the metro and the bus.

Don't know about int'l data roaming prices. I don't use it and find that with the occasional wifi connection, I'm good to go.

Roger

--- In macsupportcentral@yahoogroups.com, James Robertson <jamesrob@...> wrote:
>
>
> On May 29, 2012, at 6:03 AM, Roger Harris wrote:
>
> > Here are a few apps that I like for Paris: Paris2Go (tons of info w/wikipedia articles), RATP, Metro (both for the bus and metro systems), CityMaps2Go, OffMaps2 (both for mapping). None of these require an internet connection.
> >
> > Also, (only) if you have an American Express card, check out the Velib system online before you go. Bike rentals with pickup and drop off throughout the city.
>
> Thanks so much for the suggestions. I've installed the Paris Metro app on my iPhone 4s and permitted "push" notifications. Heard about traffic congestion in Paris all night :-)
>
> I do have a question. I'm sure I'll figure this out, but once I turned OFF Push notifications the app couldn't find anything (stations, addresses, etc.) Makes me wonder how it will work for anything without a cellular data connection. Any idea whether I'll burn through my bank account if I purchase international data roaming from ATT and be very careful about what apps I allow to receive and transmit data by cellular connection when I'm in Paris?
>
> As for biking in Paris, I did that once (sprinted up the Champs Élysées once the street was closed the morning Lance won his sixth). I wouldn't relish doing it meshed in with Parisian taxi drivers!
>
>
> --
> Jim Robertson
> __o
> _-\<,_
> (*)/ (*)
> ```````````````````````````````````````````````````````
> My other car is an S-Works Roubaix
>

Recent Activity
Visit Your Group
Yahoo! Finance

It's Now Personal

Guides, news,

advice & more.

Biz Resources

Y! Small Business

Articles, tools,

forms, and more.

New web site?

Drive traffic now.

Get your business

on Yahoo! search.

Need to Reply?

Click one of the "Reply" links to respond to a specific message in the Daily Digest.

Create New Topic | Visit Your Group on the Web