5/18/2012

[macsupport] Digest Number 8904

Messages In This Digest (7 Messages)

1a.
Re: Advice please/10.6.8 dilemma From: Keith Whaley
1b.
Re: Advice please/10.6.8 dilemma From: Barry Austern
1c.
Re: Advice please/10.6.8 dilemma From: N.A. Nada
1d.
Re: Advice please/10.6.8 dilemma From: Otto Nikolaus
2a.
Re: Can't Send in Mail From: neelie
2b.
Re: Can't Send in Mail From: paul smith
2c.
Re: Can't Send in Mail From: Otto Nikolaus

Messages

1a.

Re: Advice please/10.6.8 dilemma

Posted by: "Keith Whaley" keith_w@dslextreme.com   keith9600

Thu May 17, 2012 6:00 pm (PDT)



Jim Saklad wrote:
>>>> iMac12,1 (21.5", "Mid 2011")
>>>> iMac12,2 (27", "Mid 2011")
>>>
>>> _Precisely_ what I needed to know.
>>> keith

>> OTOH, I just looked up the specs on the mid-2011 iMac, and they say it
>> comes with Lion installed!
>>
>> What is the truth, please?
>> keith whaley

> Mactracker (where I've never found an error of significance) tells me:
>
> OVERVIEW
> Introduced May 2011
> Discontinued --
> Model Identifier iMac12,1
> Model Number A1311
>
> SOFTWARE
> Original OS Mac OS X 10.6.6 (10J4026)
> Later OS Mac OS X 10.6.7 (10J4139)
> Maximum OS Latest release of Mac OS X
> AirDrop Supported
> Hardware Test AHT 3A212
> Bundled Software iLife '11 (includes iPhoto, iMovie, iWeb, GarageBand)
>
> I don't have an iMac of any persuasions myself.

Gasp! NO?!

You've been a good help and I do thank you for that. Excellent responses...

keith

1b.

Re: Advice please/10.6.8 dilemma

Posted by: "Barry Austern" barryaus@fuse.net   barryaus

Thu May 17, 2012 6:09 pm (PDT)



At 5:53 PM -0700 5/17/12, Keith Whaley wrote:

>
>
>Barry Austern wrote:
>> At 4:04 PM -0700 5/17/12, Keith Whaley wrote:
>>
>>> Keith Whaley wrote:
> >>> Jim Saklad wrote:
> >>>
>I've received three different answers from Apple themselves. Two of
>which say quite clearly that this model was delivered with OS 10.6.6.
>That it can use newer OS's is gravy.
>I will be able to load my OS 10.6.8 and we'll get along just fine.
>I believe... <g>

So then you got it straight from the horse's mouth (Apple). However,
when you buy it maybe you should get it in writing that it will run
Snow Leopard so you'll have grounds to return it if it cannot. (In
other words, if it was not the horse's mouth, but some other equine
part.) Good luck.
--
Barry Austern
barryaus@fuse.net

1c.

Re: Advice please/10.6.8 dilemma

Posted by: "N.A. Nada" whodo678@comcast.net

Thu May 17, 2012 9:46 pm (PDT)



That is why I was saying that you would need to look at refurbs, but I will add if you want the mid-2011, then I would suggest you find a good independent Apple agent/reseller and make 10.6 a condition of the sale. I can suggest one.

They tend to install the original OS on refurbished Macs, I would make that a condition of the sale. I was thinking of the prior model, but a mid 2011 will work if you can ensure it comes with some version of 10.6.

I was going to ask where you found the specs you quoted, Keith, but apparently it was the current Apple site. If you go into an Apple Store and are ready to buy, then have them boot it up and check it before you complete the sale. But since 10.7.4 came out recently, I'm comfortable saying that anything they have in stock will have 10.7.3 or later. Unless you buy a refurb online from Apple. They usually list the OS installed on the refurbs.

Apple will show the current specs, and the sites and apps the rest of us are using will show the historical specs.

Brent

On May 17, 2012, at 4:54 PM, Barry Austern wrote:

At 4:04 PM -0700 5/17/12, Keith Whaley wrote:

>
>
>Keith Whaley wrote:
> > Jim Saklad wrote:
> >
>OTOH, I just looked up the specs on the mid-2011 iMac, and they say it
>comes with Lion installed!
>
>What is the truth, please?

Conceivably it might have been in that period when the machine does
come with Lion but still can run Snow Leopard. Essentially, there are
four stages:
1. Comes with the older OS
2. Comes with the older OS installed, but the box contains a copy of
the newer one. I once got a G3 iBook like that.
3. Comes with the newer OS installed, but is still the older design,
so it can run the older OS.
4. Can run only the newer OS.

See what you can find out from something such as MacTracker.
--
Barry Austern
barryaus@fuse.net

1d.

Re: Advice please/10.6.8 dilemma

Posted by: "Otto Nikolaus" otto.nikolaus@googlemail.com   nikyzf

Fri May 18, 2012 3:19 am (PDT)



On 18 May 2012 00:04, Keith Whaley <keith_w@dslextreme.com> wrote:

>
> OTOH, I just looked up the specs on the mid-2011 iMac, and they say it
> comes with Lion installed!
>
> What is the truth, please?
>

I looked it up at EveryMac and I got the same info as Jim. Where did you
look up the specs?

Otto

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

2a.

Re: Can't Send in Mail

Posted by: "neelie" neeliec2000@yahoo.com   neeliec2000

Thu May 17, 2012 8:14 pm (PDT)



Hello Doris,

While I don't have an answer to your question, I'm glad you posted it!

I've had the very same issue myself for years. I, too, use 10.6.8 and Yahoo mail, but I have Cox cable internet.

I've never succeeded in getting the "Mail" program to work, and I get the same message when I'd try to send emails.

I do hope someone can shed some light on this to help both of us!

neelie in AZ

--- In macsupportcentral@yahoogroups.com, Doris <untoldexpressions@...> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> I have a gmail account and I am trying to use Mail. I encountered a
> problem in the past and stopped using it but would like to try again.
>
> I deleted the account from Mail and then started over. It is in the
> process of downloading my mail.
>
> But it is not sending my composed messages.
>
> I am using 10.6.8, Mail is 4.5. I use AT&T and have a Yahoo email address
> which I also used before in Mail (don't remember password) and so sometimes
> it tries to use Yahoo to send which obviously doesn't work. But it says
> that "smtp.gmail.com:untoldexpressions@..." is offline. I can't
> figure out how to get it "online"
>
> Any help would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Doris
>
>
> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>

2b.

Re: Can't Send in Mail

Posted by: "paul smith" kullervo@nycap.rr.com   waldonny

Thu May 17, 2012 11:37 pm (PDT)



In Mail's preferences, go to Accounts and select your gmail account. Go to the Advanced tab, and in the lower half of the window, male sure you check the box for "Use SSL" and put 995 for the port.
--
PSmith
MacBook Pro, 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB DDR2 SDRAM, OS 10.7.4 iPhone 4S 64 GB, iOS 5.1.1

On May 17, 2012, at 6:23 PM, Doris wrote:

But it says
that "smtp.gmail.com:untoldexpressions@gmail.com" is offline. I can't
figure out how to get it "online"

Any help would be appreciated.

2c.

Re: Can't Send in Mail

Posted by: "Otto Nikolaus" otto.nikolaus@googlemail.com   nikyzf

Fri May 18, 2012 3:44 am (PDT)



Many people are using Mail with Gmail. These should help.
<http://email.about.com/od/macosxmailtips/qt/et_gmailosxmail.htm>
<http://support.google.com/mail/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=81379>
<http://support.google.com/mail/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=180188>
(I can't find one for Mail 5 but it should be similar.)

Otto

On 18 May 2012 07:37, paul smith <kullervo@nycap.rr.com> wrote:

> In Mail's preferences, go to Accounts and select your gmail account. Go to
> the Advanced tab, and in the lower half of the window, male sure you check
> the box for "Use SSL" and put 995 for the port.
>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Recent Activity
Visit Your Group
Yahoo! Finance

It's Now Personal

Guides, news,

advice & more.

Search Ads

Get new customers.

List your web site

in Yahoo! Search.

Biz Resources

Y! Small Business

Articles, tools,

forms, and more.

Need to Reply?

Click one of the "Reply" links to respond to a specific message in the Daily Digest.

Create New Topic | Visit Your Group on the Web