5/17/2013

[macsupport] Digest Number 9545

4 New Messages

Digest #9545
1a
Re: 4G internet with data limits by "olson_gl_99" olson_gl_99
2a
Re: Java Not Detected by "Jim Saklad" jimdoc01

Messages

Fri May 17, 2013 6:07 am (PDT) . Posted by:

"olson_gl_99" olson_gl_99

Some interesting responses and misconceptions.

I signed up for the Verizon 4G internet service because it is cheaper and faster than my current DSL service in my old house. My DSL is roughly 3 MBPS downloads, while the 4G connection is 12 MBPS. Up loads are roughly 1.5 and 4, respectively.

In our new, more rural environment, cable and fiber optic DSL are not available.

I posted my original message hoping that someone had some real world experience. But it seems to be a very new capability. From what I can see, the main real limitation is the monthly data limit.

On the Verizon web site, I can't find the equipment we got at the Verizon store. Too many options and lots of confusion. I hope that we haven't made a big mistake.

Thanks,

Gordon

Fri May 17, 2013 6:51 am (PDT) . Posted by:

"Jim Saklad" jimdoc01

>> There is a line of Terminal code that will search for Java components on your Mac. I'll see if I can find it, but you can do a web search and find it also.
>
> Frankly I am afraid to monkey around in the terminal -
> bob

Frankly, what I did was to turn off Java and wait to see if anything complained.
Nothing did.

Fri May 17, 2013 6:55 am (PDT) . Posted by:

"Jim Saklad" jimdoc01

>> If you haven't watched any YouTube videos by mattsmacintosh you are missing something.
>>
>> Matt is an experienced filmmaker who uses Macs (and other Apple stuff) in his life. His videos are short (usually 3 minutes each) and very informative, covering sometimes little-known features of Apple (and associated) products and software:
>>
>> <https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=mattsmacintosh&oq=mattsmacintosh&gs_l=youtube.3..0l2.368.2395.0.3195.9.3.0.6.6.0.252.343.1j0j1.2.0...0.0...1ac.1.11.youtube.r9f7OO2YMNM>
>
> Of course they all require java!

Don't think so.

I was reading my mail on my iPad (NO Java), came to your claim above, tapped the URL, and it opened YouTube to his videos. I tapped the first and it played perfectly well without Java.

Fri May 17, 2013 7:37 am (PDT) . Posted by:

"Dave C" davec2468

No they don't. Try them.

Dave

On 17 May 2013, at 01:16 AM, Charles L writ:

Of course they all require java!!!!!!!!!!

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

GROUP FOOTER MESSAGE