5/17/2013

[macsupport] Digest Number 9544

Mac Support Central

15 New Messages

Digest #9544
1a
Re: 4G internet with data limits by "Jim Saklad" jimdoc01
1b
Re: 4G internet with data limits by "Denver Dan" denverdan22180
2a
Best Mac BlueTooth Keyboard by "Charles Carroll" charlesmarkcarroll
2b
Re: Best Mac BlueTooth Keyboard by "Charles Carroll" charlesmarkcarroll
3a
Re: Java Not Detected by "HAL9000" jrswebhome
3b
Re: Java Not Detected by "HAL9000" jrswebhome
3c
3d
Re: Java Not Detected by "bob morin" rbmorin2002
3e
3f
Re: Java Not Detected by "bob morin" rbmorin2002
4b
Re: Great YouTube videos about all things Apple by "Charles Lenington" fooltouse2
4d
Re: Great YouTube videos about all things Apple by "Charles Lenington" fooltouse2
5
iTunes 11.0.3 by "Eric" emanmb

Messages

Thu May 16, 2013 7:41 am (PDT) . Posted by:

"Jim Saklad" jimdoc01

> DSL is not available at our new house. We are looking at Verizon 4G; however, there is a monthly limit of 4 GB on the basic plan. 4G gives a faster internet connection than slow or moderate DSL rates. The monthly limit is potentially a problem.
>
> The OS installer for Mountain Lion was 4.4 GB. I could take my laptop to the local library or Apple store to down load the OS installer, but lugging my Mac tower around is not very convenient.

Download the large files using your laptop, at the library or Apple Store, then transfer them to the tower....

Thu May 16, 2013 8:38 am (PDT) . Posted by:

"Denver Dan" denverdan22180

Howdy.

DSL is now an older wired technology that is rapidly being replaced by
fiber optic and coaxial cable high speed connections.

A 4G cell connection with the data cap you mention seems unusually
restricted and just a trickle of data.

In addition, how would you utilize the 4G cell service for your
Macintosh? Via a Bluetooth connection to your Macintosh? This is set
up on an iPhone in order to let the Mac use Bluetooth to link to the
iPhone and on to the Internet via the iPhone's cell connection.

I suspect something isn't right with this information.

I have ATT service for my iPhone and iPad and can enable cell data on
the iPad in blocks of 250 GB at a time or a 2nd option for one month of
unlimited cell data to the iPad.

My ATT iPhone plan is grandfathered in and has unlimited data but new
ATT plans do have a data cap per month with several options for the
amount.

Do you have access to a cable TV company and Internet service over
cable TV coax?

You might check the WhistleOut web site for a comparison of cell phones
and plans from several different service providers.

<http://www.whistleout.com/>

Denver Dan

On Wed, 15 May 2013 18:28:39 +0000, olson_gl_99 wrote:
> DSL is not available at our new house. We are looking at Verizon 4G;
> however, there is a monthly limit of 4 GB on the basic plan. 4G gives
> a faster internet connection than slow or moderate DSL rates. The
> monthly limit is potentially a problem.
>
> The OS installer for Mountain Lion was 4.4 GB. I could take my laptop
> to the local library or Apple store to down load the OS installer,
> but lugging my Mac tower around is not very convenient.
>
> Does anyone here use a 4G or similar connection that has monthly data
> limits? How do you get everything that you need?
>
> Thanks for the help. Gordon

Thu May 16, 2013 8:20 am (PDT) . Posted by:

"Charles Carroll" charlesmarkcarroll

I am looking for a bluetooth keyboard for my MacBook Pro.

I am looking for something that could also be used for a Windows
Machine as well if cornered, but it will be used for the MacBook 90%
of the time.

My primary criterion is that it be no larger than the 15" macbook pro
in width since it will be in a case with the MacBook Pro. It could be
slightly wider I will be getting an oversized case and I do want
separate arrow keys if possible.

I will buy two of them, one for my work Windows machine and one to
carry with my MacBook Pro.

As a side note, I type on a Dvorak keyboard but since chosing
keyboards that have Dvorak labels limit my choices I just add glow in
the dark stickers to label over my Qwerty keyboard. I would not mind a
dual-labelled keyboard, but that is not in my requirements. I want a
keyboard with a good feel and if possible separate arrow keys.

Thu May 16, 2013 8:24 am (PDT) . Posted by:

"Charles Carroll" charlesmarkcarroll

http://matias.ca/laptoppro/mac/
looks good. Anyone use that?

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-DiNovo-Rechargeable-Bluetooth-Keyboard/dp/B001E2NID4/
looks greta but way too pricey too justify.

On Thu, May 16, 2013 at 11:20 AM, Charles Carroll <911@learnasp.com> wrote:
> I am looking for a bluetooth keyboard for my MacBook Pro.
>
> I am looking for something that could also be used for a Windows
> Machine as well if cornered, but it will be used for the MacBook 90%
> of the time.
>
> My primary criterion is that it be no larger than the 15" macbook pro
> in width since it will be in a case with the MacBook Pro. It could be
> slightly wider I will be getting an oversized case and I do want
> separate arrow keys if possible.
>
> I will buy two of them, one for my work Windows machine and one to
> carry with my MacBook Pro.
>
> As a side note, I type on a Dvorak keyboard but since chosing
> keyboards that have Dvorak labels limit my choices I just add glow in
> the dark stickers to label over my Qwerty keyboard. I would not mind a
> dual-labelled keyboard, but that is not in my requirements. I want a
> keyboard with a good feel and if possible separate arrow keys.

Thu May 16, 2013 8:34 am (PDT) . Posted by:

"HAL9000" jrswebhome

Reinstall your system, if you tried installing Java separately. But I do not run Java as it is a danger to my system.

--- In macsupportcentral@yahoogroups.com, Jennifer Roane <jroane@...> wrote:
>
> Do you have any recommendations on how I can get my Java to work?
>
>
> On May 15, 2013, at 11:07 PM, "N.A. Nada" <whodo678@...> wrote:
>
> > That is because JavaScript is not Java. The two have nothing to with the other.
> >
> > That is why I said it was clear as mud.
> >
> >
> > On May 15, 2013, at 4:19 PM, Jennifer Roane wrote:
> >
> > Okay, even checking the box to enable JavaScript it still says Java Not Detected.
> >
> > ???
> >
> >
> > On May 15, 2013, at 5:39 PM, "N.A. Nada" <whodo678@...> wrote:
> >
> >> That is clear as mud.
> >>
> >> JavaScript has nothing to do with Java, other than an unfortunately similar name.
> >>
> >> JavaScript is considered safe.
> >>
> >>
> >> On May 15, 2013, at 2:34 PM, HAL9000 wrote:
> >>
> >> Enable JavaScript and (not checked) should be checked
> >>
> >> --- In macsupportcentral@yahoogroups.com, Jennifer Roane <jroane@> wrote:
> >>>
> >>> Under Safari Preferences my only options are: General, Bookmarks, Tabs, Autofill, Passwords, Security, Privacy, Notifications, Extensions and Advanced.
> >>>
> >>> I do have Java listed under Security. The only options available there are:
> >>> Fraudulent Sides: (checked) Warn when visiting a fraudulent website
> >>> Web Content: (checked) Enable JavaScript and (not checked) Block pop-up windows
> >>> Internet Plug-ins: (not checked) Allow Java and (checked) Allow all other plug-ins
> >>>
> >>>
> >>> There are no other options to look at or change. I've not found Java under any of the other options for Preferences either.
> >>>
> >>> I'm at a loss! Any other ideas?
> >>>
> >>> Thanks!
> >>>
> >>> Jennifer
> >>>
> >>> On May 15, 2013, at 1:24 PM, "HAL9000" <jrswebhome@> wrote:
> >>>
> >>>> Safari Preferences/Web Content/Enable JavaScript/check
> >>>> Safari Preferences/Internet Plug-ins/Allow Java/check
> >>>>
> >>>> But I never check to allow java. Java alone is dangerous for malicious activity access. I do allow java script.
> >>>>
> >>>> Then reboot your mac.
> >>>>
> >>>> --- In macsupportcentral@yahoogroups.com, Jennifer Roane <jroane@> wrote:
> >>>>>
> >>>>> Can someone help me, please? I downloaded Java from the Apple website and I installed it but now when I try to print something (more specifically, a SmartSource coupon) it comes back with an error and says Browser: Safari 6, Operating System: Mac 10.8.3, Java Not Detected.
> >>>>>
> >>>>> I've downloaded it and installed it…..
> >>>>>
> >>>>> What am I doing wrong or how can I fix this?
> >>>>>
> >>>>> Thank you for your help!
> >>>>>
> >>>>> Jennifer
> >>>>>
> >>>>
> >>>>
> >>>
> >>>
> >>>
> >>> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
> >>>
> >>
> >>
> >>
> >>
> >>
> >> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
> >>
> >>
> >>
> >> ------------------------------------
> >>
> >> Group FAQ:
> >> <http://www.macsupportcentral.com/policies/>
> >>
> >> Yahoo! Groups Links
> >>
> >>
> >>
> >
> >
> >
> > ------------------------------------
> >
> > Group FAQ:
> > <http://www.macsupportcentral.com/policies/>
> >
> > Yahoo! Groups Links
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > ------------------------------------
> >
> > Group FAQ:
> > <http://www.macsupportcentral.com/policies/>
> >
> > Yahoo! Groups Links
> >
> >
> >
>

Thu May 16, 2013 9:07 am (PDT) . Posted by:

"HAL9000" jrswebhome

To experiment, I tried printing a coupon from SSource w Java allowed in Safari. I got the same error message as you.

I went to Apple+Java+Download and downloaded the most recent Java installer. Installed, then rebooted. Checked Allow Java in Safari prefs. Went to SSource selected a coupon and tried to print. No Joy.

All of my 10.8.3 software is the latest including Java. I IMMEDIATELY tuned off Java.

I think the website is not compatible with Safari, or the Mac system, even though it says it is. Go to a PC and print them out.

Thu May 16, 2013 12:28 pm (PDT) . Posted by:

"N.A. Nada"

No, I don't. I'm running 10.7.5, and Apple is moving away from Java.

Java has proven to be a big source of security vulnerability with all OS. I personally have been eliminating as many apps as I can that require Java.

Brent

On May 16, 2013, at 4:44 AM, Jennifer Roane wrote:

Do you have any recommendations on how I can get my Java to work?

On May 15, 2013, at 11:07 PM, "N.A. Nada" <whodo678@comcast.net> wrote:

> That is because JavaScript is not Java. The two have nothing to with the other.
>
> That is why I said it was clear as mud.
>
>
> On May 15, 2013, at 4:19 PM, Jennifer Roane wrote:
>
> Okay, even checking the box to enable JavaScript it still says Java Not Detected.
>
> ???
>
>
> On May 15, 2013, at 5:39 PM, "N.A. Nada" <whodo678@comcast.net> wrote:
>
>> That is clear as mud.
>>
>> JavaScript has nothing to do with Java, other than an unfortunately similar name.
>>
>> JavaScript is considered safe.
>>
>>
>> On May 15, 2013, at 2:34 PM, HAL9000 wrote:
>>
>> Enable JavaScript and (not checked) should be checked
>>
>> --- In macsupportcentral@yahoogroups.com, Jennifer Roane <jroane@...> wrote:
>>>
>>> Under Safari Preferences my only options are: General, Bookmarks, Tabs, Autofill, Passwords, Security, Privacy, Notifications, Extensions and Advanced.
>>>
>>> I do have Java listed under Security. The only options available there are:
>>> Fraudulent Sides: (checked) Warn when visiting a fraudulent website
>>> Web Content: (checked) Enable JavaScript and (not checked) Block pop-up windows
>>> Internet Plug-ins: (not checked) Allow Java and (checked) Allow all other plug-ins
>>>
>>>
>>> There are no other options to look at or change. I've not found Java under any of the other options for Preferences either.
>>>
>>> I'm at a loss! Any other ideas?
>>>
>>> Thanks!
>>>
>>> Jennifer
>>>
>>> On May 15, 2013, at 1:24 PM, "HAL9000" <jrswebhome@...> wrote:
>>>
>>>> Safari Preferences/Web Content/Enable JavaScript/check
>>>> Safari Preferences/Internet Plug-ins/Allow Java/check
>>>>
>>>> But I never check to allow java. Java alone is dangerous for malicious activity access. I do allow java script.
>>>>
>>>> Then reboot your mac.
>>>>
>>>> --- In macsupportcentral@yahoogroups.com, Jennifer Roane <jroane@> wrote:
>>>>>
>>>>> Can someone help me, please? I downloaded Java from the Apple website and I installed it but now when I try to print something (more specifically, a SmartSource coupon) it comes back with an error and says Browser: Safari 6, Operating System: Mac 10.8.3, Java Not Detected.
>>>>>
>>>>> I've downloaded it and installed it…..
>>>>>
>>>>> What am I doing wrong or how can I fix this?
>>>>>
>>>>> Thank you for your help!
>>>>>
>>>>> Jennifer
>>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>>
>>
>>
>> ------------------------------------
>>
>> Group FAQ:
>> <http://www.macsupportcentral.com/policies/>
>>
>> Yahoo! Groups Links
>>
>>
>>
>
>
>
> ------------------------------------
>
> Group FAQ:
> <http://www.macsupportcentral.com/policies/>
>
> Yahoo! Groups Links
>
>
>
>
>
>
> ------------------------------------
>
> Group FAQ:
> <http://www.macsupportcentral.com/policies/>
>
> Yahoo! Groups Links
>
>
>

------------------------------------

Group FAQ:
<http://www.macsupportcentral.com/policies/>

Yahoo! Groups Links

Thu May 16, 2013 1:03 pm (PDT) . Posted by:

"bob morin" rbmorin2002


On May 16, 2013, at 2:28 PM, N.A. Nada <whodo678@comcast.net> wrote:

> No, I don't. I'm running 10.7.5, and Apple is moving away from Java.
>
> Java has proven to be a big source of security vulnerability with all OS. I personally have been eliminating as many apps as I can that require Java.
>

How do you tell if the apps need Java?

bob

Thu May 16, 2013 11:07 pm (PDT) . Posted by:

"N.A. Nada"

There is a line of Terminal code that will search for Java components on your Mac. I'll see if I can find it, but you can do a web search and find it also.

Once you have found the components, you look at the location on each component. You will find that some apps have one or two components. After removing them, you will find the app still works. Other apps will have lots of Java components and these will not function without them. If the app is one you "must have" then either write the developers and ask them if they are considering a re-write without Java, or start looking for a replacement app. At least that is the course I have taken, and you are free to take your own.

If any one is interested, I will post my findings.

Brent

On May 16, 2013, at 1:03 PM, bob morin wrote:

On May 16, 2013, at 2:28 PM, N.A. Nada <whodo678@comcast.net> wrote:

> No, I don't. I'm running 10.7.5, and Apple is moving away from Java.
>
> Java has proven to be a big source of security vulnerability with all OS. I personally have been eliminating as many apps as I can that require Java.
>

How do you tell if the apps need Java?

bob

------------------------------------

Group FAQ:
<http://www.macsupportcentral.com/policies/>

Yahoo! Groups Links

Fri May 17, 2013 4:48 am (PDT) . Posted by:

"bob morin" rbmorin2002


On May 17, 2013, at 1:07 AM, N.A. Nada <whodo678@comcast.net> wrote:

> There is a line of Terminal code that will search for Java components on your Mac. I'll see if I can find it, but you can do a web search and find it also.
>

Frankly I am afraid to monkey around in the terminal -

bob

Thu May 16, 2013 1:02 pm (PDT) . Posted by:

"Dave C" davec2468

If you haven't watched any YouTube videos by mattsmacintosh you are missing something.

Matt is an experienced filmmaker who uses Macs (and other Apple stuff) in his life. His videos are short (usually 3 minutes each) and very informative, covering sometimes little-known features of Apple (and associated) products and software:

<https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=mattsmacintosh&oq=mattsmacintosh&gs_l=youtube.3..0l2.368.2395.0.3195.9.3.0.6.6.0.252.343.1j0j1.2.0...0.0...1ac.1.11.youtube.r9f7OO2YMNM>

or

http://tinyurl.com/a487lb2

You might enjoy beginning with his entertaining look at the history of the Apple logo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knKgLw6VjC0

Matt also has a less-formal (ie, non-tutorial) format channel cleverly called mattsotherchannel:

https://www.youtube.com/user/MattsOtherChannel

Have fun!

Dave

Fri May 17, 2013 12:09 am (PDT) . Posted by:

"Charles Lenington" fooltouse2

On 5/16/13 15:02 PM, Dave C wrote:
> If you haven't watched any YouTube videos by mattsmacintosh you are missing something.
>
> Matt is an experienced filmmaker who uses Macs (and other Apple stuff) in his life. His videos are short (usually 3 minutes each) and very informative, covering sometimes little-known features of Apple (and associated) products and software:
>
> <https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=mattsmacintosh&oq=mattsmacintosh&gs_l=youtube.3..0l2.368.2395.0.3195.9.3.0.6.6.0.252.343.1j0j1.2.0...0.0...1ac.1.11.youtube.r9f7OO2YMNM>
>

Of course they all require java!!!!!!!!!!

Fri May 17, 2013 1:18 am (PDT) . Posted by:

"Paul Smith" waldonny

Incorrect. They all play fine in Safari on my iPad.
--
PSmith
MacBook Pro w/ Mac OS 10.8.3, iPhone 4S 64 GB and iPad 4 32 GB w/ iOS 6.1.3

On May 17, 2013, at 3:05 AM, Charles Lenington <macsonly@brightok.net> wrote:

>> <https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=mattsmacintosh&oq=mattsmacintosh&gs_l=youtube.3..0l2.368.2395.0.3195.9.3.0.6.6.0.252.343.1j0j1.2.0...0.0...1ac.1.11.youtube.r9f7OO2YMNM>
>>
>
>
>
> Of course they all require java!!!!!!!!!!

Fri May 17, 2013 5:37 am (PDT) . Posted by:

"Charles Lenington" fooltouse2

On 5/16/13 15:02 PM, Dave C wrote:
> If you haven't watched any YouTube videos by mattsmacintosh you are missing something.
>
> Matt is an experienced filmmaker who uses Macs (and other Apple stuff) in his life. His videos are short (usually 3 minutes each) and very informative, covering sometimes little-known features of Apple (and associated) products and software:
>
> <https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=mattsmacintosh&oq=mattsmacintosh&gs_l=youtube.3..0l2.368.2395.0.3195.9.3.0.6.6.0.252.343.1j0j1.2.0...0.0...1ac.1.11.youtube.r9f7OO2YMNM>
>

Oh rats ..... shouldn't been replying at 0200. I meant plug ins.
Mumbling I wonder if safari installed on this computer... as he goes off
in /to search or it.

Thu May 16, 2013 6:35 pm (PDT) . Posted by:

"Eric" emanmb

I started up itunes today and got a message there is an update. Clicked download or OK and Software Update starts. When it finishes it says all my software is up to date.

OK, I tell itunes to check again. Says there is an update, (available here http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1614?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US )I click download and get the same answer from Software update.

Checking that link, I made sure 10.6.8 is covered in the update and it is. Is this just a case of one app being "ahead" of the other or more informed? :)
e

GROUP FOOTER MESSAGE