5/18/2013

[macsupport] Digest Number 9546

5 New Messages

Digest #9546
1a
2
iTunes11 update by "HAL9000" jrswebhome
4a
PowerBook models and OS 9? by "Dave C" davec2468
4b
Re: PowerBook models and OS 9? by "paul smith" waldonny

Messages

Fri May 17, 2013 2:07 pm (PDT) . Posted by:

"N.A. Nada"

That is probably easier, but a slower way of doing it. Especially for people who have lots of apps that they don't use or don't use regularly.

Running the line of Terminal code was a faster way, and allowed me to deal with it while it had my attention.

The only app that I have that I use daily is a password vault app, Keeper. I believe 1Password will be my replacement app, when the time comes. All the rest of what I had, I could either un-insntall or I they would function without the one or two Java features. A couple more got un-insntall just because I was not using them. I had installed them as a substitute for another app.

I understand Bob's reluctance to use Terminal, I am also unfamiliar with it.

Removing Java is not mandatory. A clean install of 10.8 does not include Java. I just figure by removing or replacing the apps I have that require Java, now, will make my eventual move to 10.8 or above easier. We went through this when we went from Classic to OS X, and again when Rosetta was removed.

Also, this takes Java out of the equation when speaking about malware.

Brent

On May 17, 2013, at 6:51 AM, Jim Saklad wrote:

>> There is a line of Terminal code that will search for Java components on your Mac. I'll see if I can find it, but you can do a web search and find it also.
>
> Frankly I am afraid to monkey around in the terminal -
> bob

Frankly, what I did was to turn off Java and wait to see if anything complained.
Nothing did.

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Fri May 17, 2013 5:30 pm (PDT) . Posted by:

"HAL9000" jrswebhome

Even with the improved mini player, the loss of Cover Flow makes my heart warm to my restored iTunes10. Sweet covers flowing across my screen, nice.

Fri May 17, 2013 6:46 pm (PDT) . Posted by:

"N.A. Nada"

My real world experience with using cellular data, was that it had a low cap and was expensive for that amount of data.

I worked 3 months in North Dakota, I was too busy at the construction site to do any personal web use at work, and the AT&T Hotspot that I bought was slower than my Comcast cable at home, but a lot faster that the overloaded WiFi I had to pay for at the hotel.

Luckily, I did not have to do a large download while there. Since I could not backup my Mac, I passed on the move to 10.8.

That is why I suggested looking at satellite, even with the non-positive things I have heard about it. In your case, it would be worth at least taking a cursory look into it.

Brent

On May 17, 2013, at 6:07 AM, olson_gl_99 wrote:

Some interesting responses and misconceptions.

I signed up for the Verizon 4G internet service because it is cheaper and faster than my current DSL service in my old house. My DSL is roughly 3 MBPS downloads, while the 4G connection is 12 MBPS. Up loads are roughly 1.5 and 4, respectively.

In our new, more rural environment, cable and fiber optic DSL are not available.

I posted my original message hoping that someone had some real world experience. But it seems to be a very new capability. From what I can see, the main real limitation is the monthly data limit.

On the Verizon web site, I can't find the equipment we got at the Verizon store. Too many options and lots of confusion. I hope that we haven't made a big mistake.

Thanks,

Gordon

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Fri May 17, 2013 11:23 pm (PDT) . Posted by:

"Dave C" davec2468

I have need to run some OS 9-only software. A friend has an old aluminum PowerBook G4 (specs unspecified currently).

Once I know more details about the PB, how can I know if it will boot OS 9?

Thanks,
Dave

Fri May 17, 2013 11:54 pm (PDT) . Posted by:

"paul smith" waldonny

Does it have to actually boot OS 9? Most software should work in what used to be called Classic Mode, while booted in OS 10.
MacTracker, a handy self-contained database of Apple products, says that only the first 3 generations of G4 PowerBooks could boot OS 9. They all had CPUs running slower than 1 GHz, and the last was released in April 2002 and replaced by a new model in November 2002.
--
PSmith
MacBook Pro w/ OS 10.8.3 iPhone 4S 64 GB & iPad 4th gen. 32 GB w/ iOS 6.1.3

On May 18, 2013, at 2:22 AM, Dave C <davec2468@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I have need to run some OS 9-only software. A friend has an old aluminum PowerBook G4 (specs unspecified currently).
>
> Once I know more details about the PB, how can I know if it will boot OS 9?

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

GROUP FOOTER MESSAGE