5/11/2012

[macsupport] Digest Number 8895

Mac Support Central

Messages In This Digest (18 Messages)

Messages

1a.

Re: Suddenly, all my devices reject my iCloud password

Posted by: "James Robertson" jamesrob@sonic.net   jamesrob328i

Thu May 10, 2012 6:48 am (PDT)




On May 9, 2012, at 11:00 PM, N.A. Nada wrote:

> Now, I am just checking the basics. It is unlikely, but has anything changed with your Mail.app settings? And have you checked with your ISP if they are seeing similar issues with other customers? You said you were going through WiFi at work, has anything changed there?

It absolutely HAD to be something at Apple's end:

1. I have 5 devices (2 Mac OS, 3 iOS devices) with iCloud access. ALL of them were refused access to iCloud mail essentially simultaneously - or at least once I couldn't access it from one device, I couldn't access it from any.

2. Loss of iCloud mail access was totally independent of where and how I was gaining access to the internet. Only one of the devices has just one route of access (my Mac Pro).

There is one remaining curiosity. I also lost access to another Mac listserv (Mac-L) at roughly the same time. But I don't access that using my iCloud email address, so I think THAT is a coincidence.

I hope Apple learns something from this, because clearly I was locked out for reasons they couldn't figure out during the hour or so I was on the phone with their "senior support engineer."

Jim Robertosn
1b.

Re: Suddenly, all my devices reject my iCloud password

Posted by: "N.A. Nada" whodo678@comcast.net

Thu May 10, 2012 1:01 pm (PDT)




On May 10, 2012, at 6:48 AM, James Robertson wrote:

>
> On May 9, 2012, at 11:00 PM, N.A. Nada wrote:
>
> > Now, I am just checking the basics. It is unlikely, but has anything changed with your Mail.app settings? And have you checked with your ISP if they are seeing similar issues with other customers? You said you were going through WiFi at work, has anything changed there?
>
> It absolutely HAD to be something at Apple's end:
>
> 1. I have 5 devices (2 Mac OS, 3 iOS devices) with iCloud access. ALL of them were refused access to iCloud mail essentially simultaneously - or at least once I couldn't access it from one device, I couldn't access it from any.
>
> 2. Loss of iCloud mail access was totally independent of where and how I was gaining access to the internet. Only one of the devices has just one route of access (my Mac Pro).
>
> There is one remaining curiosity. I also lost access to another Mac listserv (Mac-L) at roughly the same time. But I don't access that using my iCloud email address, so I think THAT is a coincidence.
>
> I hope Apple learns something from this, because clearly I was locked out for reasons they couldn't figure out during the hour or so I was on the phone with their "senior support engineer."
>
> Jim Robertosn

Has it cleared up since, or not?

I thought it was 3 devices, not 5. Yeah, that would suggest Apple's end, except you were at first, able to connect from one so that makes 4 that were having problems. But would not point to Apple's end, if you tried all 5 devices in a short period of time.

Then you say you had (?), but lost access from work with sonic.net and had problems with comcast.

I'm sorry, but without complete information, and you not answering the questions I ask, taking a guess at a moving target, I can not figure it out.

I hope it resolves for you. Maybe it is just an accident of moving the servers from MobileMe to iCloud and is only a temporary thing. Good luck.

Brent
1c.

Re: Suddenly, all my devices reject my iCloud password

Posted by: "James Robertson" jamesrob@sonic.net   jamesrob328i

Thu May 10, 2012 2:19 pm (PDT)




On May 10, 2012, at 1:01 PM, N.A. Nada wrote:

> Has it cleared up since, or not?

Other than losing all my iCloud mail (more precisely, having it disappear from Apple's servers for reasons they don't understand but from which state they're unable to recover it), yes, I now have reliable access again. Fortunately, I have the mail archived on one device on which I've not yet changed my email password, so it still cannot connect and throw away my mail. I'll save it on that device before I re-enable its connection to iCloud mail

> Then you say you had (?), but lost access from work with sonic.net and had problems with comcast

I didn't say that, and re-reading my first post in this thread I don't know how what I wrote could have been interpreted as such. I DID say that posts I've made to one other Mac listserv, sent from my sonic.net email address, have been rejected by that listserv, and I have no idea yet why that's occurring. I mentioned that because the fact I'm having two problems begs for answers that might have some common cause, but I think they're unrelated.

> that would suggest Apple's end, except you were at first, able to connect from one so that makes 4 that were having problems.

I didn't say that, either. What I did say was that, from any of my devices whose browser is capable of logging onto the iCloud website, I could do so USING MY OLD PASSWORD, but that, once logged in to my iCloud account, I couldn't open iCloud mail.

My posts are often too long, because I try to be precise. I appreciate the suggestions you've made, and I apologize if anything I wrote in my initial post led you down the wrong path. Re-reading my initial post, however, I don't know what would have set you off in the errant direction.

Jim Robertson
1d.

Re: Suddenly, all my devices reject my iCloud password

Posted by: "N.A. Nada" whodo678@comcast.net

Thu May 10, 2012 3:38 pm (PDT)



Jim, no apologies needed from your end. Apparently I miss read it.

On May 10, 2012, at 2:19 PM, James Robertson wrote:

>
> On May 10, 2012, at 1:01 PM, N.A. Nada wrote:
>
> > Has it cleared up since, or not?
>
> Other than losing all my iCloud mail (more precisely, having it disappear from Apple's servers for reasons they don't understand but from which state they're unable to recover it), yes, I now have reliable access again. Fortunately, I have the mail archived on one device on which I've not yet changed my email password, so it still cannot connect and throw away my mail. I'll save it on that device before I re-enable its connection to iCloud mail
>
> > Then you say you had (?), but lost access from work with sonic.net and had problems with comcast
>
> I didn't say that, and re-reading my first post in this thread I don't know how what I wrote could have been interpreted as such. I DID say that posts I've made to one other Mac listserv, sent from my sonic.net email address, have been rejected by that listserv, and I have no idea yet why that's occurring. I mentioned that because the fact I'm having two problems begs for answers that might have some common cause, but I think they're unrelated.
>
> > that would suggest Apple's end, except you were at first, able to connect from one so that makes 4 that were having problems.
>
> I didn't say that, either. What I did say was that, from any of my devices whose browser is capable of logging onto the iCloud website, I could do so USING MY OLD PASSWORD, but that, once logged in to my iCloud account, I couldn't open iCloud mail.
>
> My posts are often too long, because I try to be precise. I appreciate the suggestions you've made, and I apologize if anything I wrote in my initial post led you down the wrong path. Re-reading my initial post, however, I don't know what would have set you off in the errant direction.
>
> Jim Robertson
>
>

2a.

Re: Best solution to manage contacts?

Posted by: "Jurgen Richter" yahoo-1@sympatico.ca   epsongroups

Thu May 10, 2012 7:09 am (PDT)



Why not use FileMaker Pro? The new version 12 is just out and has free
apps for the iPhone and iPad that allow you to view your files on the
go. Sorry, sounds like a sales pitch, but it's not. I have used FM since
the days of version 6.... all my contacts are there and are now at
version 10. I can search for any fields I have defined and use the
different layouts to print everything from form letters, invoices,
envelopes and labels for my small business. I can even do the accounting
from within FileMaker, so for me it really is an all-in-one app. I'll
have to see though what the upgrade paths is. The file format for
version 12 is a new one, and anything before is going to have to be
updated as well. The iApps can only read the v12 format files, so are of
no use at this point. You need Version 12 to "convert" the old files to
the new format. Looks promising in any case.

In theory you could store your files online in any of your own hosted
server space. The files can also have a security code to access them
with Filemaker, besides secure access to your FTP server.

2b.

Re: Best solution to manage contacts?

Posted by: "titnaw" titnaw@gmail.com   titnaw

Thu May 10, 2012 3:16 pm (PDT)



No I am just interested in an easy spreadsheet program
Thanks
Titnaw

--- In macsupportcentral@yahoogroups.com, Daly Jessup <jessup@...> wrote:
>
>
> On May 10, 2012, at 5:31 AM, titnaw wrote:
>
> > Does anyone know how iData compares with numbers? Is it about the same? easier?
> > Any help on this is sure appreciated
>
> You are proposing to use Numbers for managing your contacts?
>
> Daly
>

2c.

Re: Best solution to manage contacts?

Posted by: "Daly Jessup" jessup@san.rr.com   dalyjessup

Thu May 10, 2012 8:58 pm (PDT)



>> On May 10, 2012, at 5:31 AM, titnaw wrote:
>>
>>> Does anyone know how iData compares with numbers? Is it about the same? easier?
>>> Any help on this is sure appreciated
>>
>> You are proposing to use Numbers for managing your contacts?
>>
>> Daly

Titnaw answered:

> No I am just interested in an easy spreadsheet program

Oh, well, iData is a database program, not a spreadsheet program. For spreadsheets, you could use Numbers, Excel, or the spreadsheet component of one of the Office replacements like OpenOffice, NeoOffice, or LibreOffice.

Daly
2d.

Re: Best solution to manage contacts?

Posted by: "Daly Jessup" jessup@san.rr.com   dalyjessup

Thu May 10, 2012 9:00 pm (PDT)




On May 10, 2012, at 7:09 AM, Jurgen Richter wrote:

> Why not use FileMaker Pro?
One reason might be that it costs $265 and possibly he's looking for something simpler and cheaper.

Daly

2e.

Re: Best solution to manage contacts?

Posted by: "N.A. Nada" whodo678@comcast.net

Thu May 10, 2012 10:03 pm (PDT)



And secure.

On May 10, 2012, at 9:00 PM, Daly Jessup wrote:

>
> On May 10, 2012, at 7:09 AM, Jurgen Richter wrote:
>
> > Why not use FileMaker Pro?
> One reason might be that it costs $265 and possibly he's looking for something simpler and cheaper.
>
> Daly

2f.

Re: Best solution to manage contacts?

Posted by: "titnaw" titnaw@gmail.com   titnaw

Fri May 11, 2012 3:38 am (PDT)



hanks Daly,
I have numbers I just have not used it yet.
Thanks Jurgeon but FileMaker Pro is out of my price range.
Titnaw who plans to learn numbers

--- In macsupportcentral@yahoogroups.com, Daly Jessup <jessup@...> wrote:
>
> >> On May 10, 2012, at 5:31 AM, titnaw wrote:
> >>
> >>> Does anyone know how iData compares with numbers? Is it about the same? easier?
> >>> Any help on this is sure appreciated
> >>
> >> You are proposing to use Numbers for managing your contacts?
> >>
> >> Daly
>
> Titnaw answered:
>
> > No I am just interested in an easy spreadsheet program
>
>
> Oh, well, iData is a database program, not a spreadsheet program. For spreadsheets, you could use Numbers, Excel, or the spreadsheet component of one of the Office replacements like OpenOffice, NeoOffice, or LibreOffice.
>
> Daly
>

3a.

Repair Permissions on Ext HD

Posted by: "Donna Ells" dellis70@tampabay.rr.com   dellis551

Thu May 10, 2012 9:59 am (PDT)



Hi, I am running 10.6.8 on 27" iMac i5 quad.
I also have OWC Mercury Elite ­AL ­Pro 2tb external HD.

This is probably a dumb question, but:
After running permissions on my iMac, should I also occasionally boot into
the ext HD and do repair permissions there?

TIA,
Donna

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

3b.

Re: Repair Permissions on Ext HD

Posted by: "N.A. Nada" whodo678@comcast.net

Thu May 10, 2012 1:04 pm (PDT)




On May 10, 2012, at 9:59 AM, Donna Ells wrote:

> Hi, I am running 10.6.8 on 27" iMac i5 quad.
> I also have OWC Mercury Elite ­AL ­Pro 2tb external HD.
>
> This is probably a dumb question, but:
> After running permissions on my iMac, should I also occasionally boot into
> the ext HD and do repair permissions there?

You don't need to repair permissions. That is taken care of in the background by the OS.

3c.

Re: Repair Permissions on Ext HD

Posted by: "Michael P. Stupinski" mpstupinski@snet.net   mstupinski

Thu May 10, 2012 1:51 pm (PDT)



Depends on which OS version, doesn't it? 10.5.8 still presents
permissions repair as an option in Disk Utility, so I assume running
it still has some value. It has, in the past at least, been a
troubleshooting technique, although it was never designed to fix as
many problems as many people thought it would.

............Mike

On May 10, 2012, at 4:04 PM, N.A. Nada wrote:

>
> On May 10, 2012, at 9:59 AM, Donna Ells wrote:
>
>> Hi, I am running 10.6.8 on 27" iMac i5 quad.
>> I also have OWC Mercury Elite ­AL ­Pro 2tb external HD.
>>
>> This is probably a dumb question, but:
>> After running permissions on my iMac, should I also occasionally
>> boot into
>> the ext HD and do repair permissions there?
>
> You don't need to repair permissions. That is taken care of in the
> background by the OS.
>
>
>
>
> ------------------------------------
>
> Group FAQ:
> <http://www.macsupportcentral.com/policies/>
>
> Yahoo! Groups Links
>
>
>

3d.

Re: Repair Permissions on Ext HD

Posted by: "Denver Dan" denver.dan@verizon.net   denverdan22180

Thu May 10, 2012 2:30 pm (PDT)



Howdy.

I'm not aware that repair of disk permissions is taken care of in the
background by OS X.

Can you supply any supporting information for this idea?

- - - - -

Donna, the Repair Disk Permissions command isn't like First Aid /
Repair Disk command. The hard drive doesn't need to be dismounted in
order to Repair Disk Permissions (which is needed to do the Repair Disk
function). So there's no need to boot from a different OS just to
Repair Disk Permissions.

Denver Dan

On Thu, 10 May 2012 13:04:36 -0700, N.A. Nada wrote:
> On May 10, 2012, at 9:59 AM, Donna Ells wrote:
>
>> Hi, I am running 10.6.8 on 27" iMac i5 quad.
>> I also have OWC Mercury Elite ­AL ­Pro 2tb external HD.
>>
>> This is probably a dumb question, but:
>> After running permissions on my iMac, should I also occasionally boot into
>> the ext HD and do repair permissions there?
>
> You don't need to repair permissions. That is taken care of in the
> background by the OS.

4.

ACR release candidate 7.1 available

Posted by: "Doug Yelmen" dougyelmen@earthlink.net   dougyelmen

Thu May 10, 2012 1:32 pm (PDT)



http://labs.adobe.com/downloads/cameraraw7-1.html
i get my copy of PS CS6 tomorrow. so, it may be a moot point for some.

doug
Doug Yelmen
dougyelmen@earthlink.net

"Who looks outside, dreams… who looks inside, awakes." Carl Jung

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

5a.

hi

Posted by: "Jim Kennedy" harborview42@yahoo.com   harborview42

Thu May 10, 2012 9:24 pm (PDT)




wow this is amazing you should look into it http://www.sixnews15.net/biz/?read=5011412

6a.

Mail not sending

Posted by: "Les Streater" lesstreater@marpubs.demon.co.uk   linernutuk

Fri May 11, 2012 4:30 am (PDT)



I have a 27in iMac 2010 and a MacBook Pro 2.66 i7. Both are on 10.6.8, running on an Ethernet network.

Up until a few days ago I could send and receive emails on either machine. Now suddenly I cannot send from the laptop. It just leaves the message in the outbox and tells me to try later or doctor the server list.

I have checked all the Mail preferences against each other. The only difference I could see was that on the iMac the Port setting was 995 with SSL checked, whereas on the iMac it was set to 110 with no SSL.

The only thing that has changed for months is that last week I stopped overnight at a Travelodge and used Spectrum WiFi for internet access, although not for sending emails.

Any ideas what I need to change or reconfigure to start sending emails again from the laptop?

All help appreciated.

Les Streater
www.lesstreater.com

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

6b.

Re: Mail not sending

Posted by: "HAL9000" jrswebhome@yahoo.com   jrswebhome

Fri May 11, 2012 5:02 am (PDT)



I have always used a Mac. Once, when I set up a PC at home for the wife, I did not provide immediate virus protection. Consequently I was attacked and blocked from sending by my ISP, Comcast. Has your ISP blocked you from sending? The only way to send at the time was to visit my Comcast email site and send through them. To get unblocked, I had to convince Comcast that I had installed virus protection. jr

--- In macsupportcentral@yahoogroups.com, Les Streater <lesstreater@...> wrote:
>
> I have a 27in iMac 2010 and a MacBook Pro 2.66 i7. Both are on 10.6.8, running on an Ethernet network.
>
> Up until a few days ago I could send and receive emails on either machine. Now suddenly I cannot send from the laptop. It just leaves the message in the outbox and tells me to try later or doctor the server list.
>
> I have checked all the Mail preferences against each other. The only difference I could see was that on the iMac the Port setting was 995 with SSL checked, whereas on the iMac it was set to 110 with no SSL.
>
> The only thing that has changed for months is that last week I stopped overnight at a Travelodge and used Spectrum WiFi for internet access, although not for sending emails.
>
> Any ideas what I need to change or reconfigure to start sending emails again from the laptop?
>
> All help appreciated.
>
>
>
> Les Streater
> www.lesstreater.com
>
>
>
>
>
> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>

Recent Activity
Visit Your Group
Yahoo! Finance

It's Now Personal

Guides, news,

advice & more.

New business?

Get new customers.

List your web site

in Yahoo! Search.

Biz Resources

Y! Small Business

Articles, tools,

forms, and more.

Need to Reply?

Click one of the "Reply" links to respond to a specific message in the Daily Digest.

Create New Topic | Visit Your Group on the Web