1/12/2013

[macsupport] Digest Number 9327

9 New Messages

Digest #9327
1a
Re: format for both PC and MSC by "T Hopkins" todhop
1b
Re: format for both PC and MSC by "nhoward5040" nhoward5040
1c
Re: format for both PC and MSC by "bobbystar" bobbystar
2a
Experiences with "GoToMyPC"? by "Dave C" davec2468
2b
Re: Experiences with "GoToMyPC"? by "Charles Lenington" fooltouse2
3b
Re: iTunes podcast Default Settings? by "Barry Austern" barryaus

Messages

Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:22 am (PST) . Posted by:

"T Hopkins" todhop

exFAT is great, but only compatible with Windows 7+ and Mac OS 10.6.5+

The majority of computers in the US are still configured below that and are therefore can't read exFAT.

If someone wants to get technical, yes, Windows XP and Vista do support exFAT with specific updates, but you cannot rely on any given machine having these updates. I started using exFAT and then gave up running into far too many incompatible machines.

Tod Hopkins
Hillmann & Carr Inc.
todhopkins-at-hillmanncarr.com

On Jan 11, 2013, at 12:41 PM, Dane Reugger wrote:

> Or use exFat if you need to store larger files.
>
> -Dane
>
> On Fri, Jan 11, 2013 at 3:08 AM, Vandrei Jaques vandrei_jaques@yahoo.com.br
> > wrote:
>
> > OS X can write NTFS partition with 3rd party (Paragon NTFS). And also
> > said, Windows users can use 3rd party (MacDrive) to read/write OS X
> > partitions. The easy way is format the device to FAT32.
> >
> >
> >
> > ________________________________
> > De: Randy B. Singer randy@macattorney.com>
> > Para: macsupportcentral@yahoogroups.com
> > Enviadas: Quinta-feira, 10 de Janeiro de 2013 23:58
> > Assunto: Re: [macsupport] format for both PC and MSC
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > On Jan 10, 2013, at 4:55 PM, nhoward5040 wrote:
> >
> > > I would like your advice on how best to store the documents on the flash
> > drive, so they could be read by either a PC- or a Mac-user. Of course the
> > Word and Excel files should be able to be opened by MS Office on either
> > platform, but I am wondering about the format on the flash drive.
> >
> > - Windows reads & writes to NTFS, and FAT32
> >
> > - OS X reads and writes to FAT32 and Mac OS X extended
> >
> > - OS X can read from, but not write to, NTFS (i.e. it is read only for the
> > Mac)
> >
> > Most USB flash drives come pre-formatted as FAT32.
> >
> > ___________________________________________
> > Randy B. Singer
> > Co-author of The Macintosh Bible (4th, 5th, and 6th editions)
> >
> > Macintosh OS X Routine Maintenance
> > http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html
> > ___________________________________________
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
> >
> >
> >
> > ------------------------------------
> >
> > Group FAQ:
> > http://www.macsupportcentral.com/policies/>
> >
> > Yahoo! Groups Links
> >
> >
> >
> >
>
> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>
>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:16 pm (PST) . Posted by:

"nhoward5040" nhoward5040

Thanks, everyone. I have my answer to the question, and some good additional info as well. I will check to see that the thumb drive is FAT32 and put the files on it. kThen anyone else should be able to see and download them.

Nancy

--- In macsupportcentral@yahoogroups.com, T Hopkins wrote:
>
> exFAT is great, but only compatible with Windows 7+ and Mac OS 10.6.5+
>
> The majority of computers in the US are still configured below that and are therefore can't read exFAT.
>
> If someone wants to get technical, yes, Windows XP and Vista do support exFAT with specific updates, but you cannot rely on any given machine having these updates. I started using exFAT and then gave up running into far too many incompatible machines.
>
> Tod Hopkins
> Hillmann & Carr Inc.
> todhopkins-at-hillmanncarr.com
>
>
>
>
> On Jan 11, 2013, at 12:41 PM, Dane Reugger wrote:
>
> > Or use exFat if you need to store larger files.
> >
> > -Dane
> >
> > On Fri, Jan 11, 2013 at 3:08 AM, Vandrei Jaques vandrei_jaques@...
> > > wrote:
> >
> > > OS X can write NTFS partition with 3rd party (Paragon NTFS). And also
> > > said, Windows users can use 3rd party (MacDrive) to read/write OS X
> > > partitions. The easy way is format the device to FAT32.
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > > ________________________________
> > > De: Randy B. Singer randy@...>
> > > Para: macsupportcentral@yahoogroups.com
> > > Enviadas: Quinta-feira, 10 de Janeiro de 2013 23:58
> > > Assunto: Re: [macsupport] format for both PC and MSC
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > > On Jan 10, 2013, at 4:55 PM, nhoward5040 wrote:
> > >
> > > > I would like your advice on how best to store the documents on the flash
> > > drive, so they could be read by either a PC- or a Mac-user. Of course the
> > > Word and Excel files should be able to be opened by MS Office on either
> > > platform, but I am wondering about the format on the flash drive.
> > >
> > > - Windows reads & writes to NTFS, and FAT32
> > >
> > > - OS X reads and writes to FAT32 and Mac OS X extended
> > >
> > > - OS X can read from, but not write to, NTFS (i.e. it is read only for the
> > > Mac)
> > >
> > > Most USB flash drives come pre-formatted as FAT32.
> > >
> > > ___________________________________________
> > > Randy B. Singer
> > > Co-author of The Macintosh Bible (4th, 5th, and 6th editions)
> > >
> > > Macintosh OS X Routine Maintenance
> > > http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html
> > > ___________________________________________
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > > ------------------------------------
> > >
> > > Group FAQ:
> > > http://www.macsupportcentral.com/policies/>
> > >
> > > Yahoo! Groups Links
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> >
> > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
> >
> >
>
>
>
> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>

Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:30 pm (PST) . Posted by:

"bobbystar" bobbystar

Consider using Google Docs or something similar that is web based. Then almost anyone can use the files that you share or email.

--- In macsupportcentral@yahoogroups.com, "nhoward5040" wrote:
>
> I am the leader of a golf group, where I have several excel files for the finances, and many word documents for instructions for weekly games, various payout schedules, etc. I need to pass this on to the next year's person. I am going to buy a flash drive to put all of the files on. (I have a Macbook Pro running 10.6.8, with Microsoft Office 2011 (the latest version)).
>
> I would like your advice on how best to store the documents on the flash drive, so they could be read by either a PC- or a Mac-user. Of course the Word and Excel files should be able to be opened by MS Office on either platform, but I am wondering about the format on the flash drive. I always reformat my flash drives to a Mac format, but wonder if this is not as good an idea for this purpose. If I reformat the flash drive to a Mac format, will the files, even though they are Word and EXcel files, be able to be read and downloaded onto a PC, if that is what the next person has? Or should I just leave the formatting alone, assuming that most flash drives come formatted in a PC format? Or should I format the drive in a FAT format, which I think can be done by Disk Utility.
>
> Any ideas? THanks for your advice
> Nancy
>

Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:14 pm (PST) . Posted by:

"N.A. Nada"

Excellent information.

On Jan 11, 2013, at 9:33 AM, T Hopkins wrote:

FAT32. Don't make your life complicated. A thumbdrive, it is likely to be formatted FAT32 already. Use Get Info to check. It will say "MS-DOS (FAT32)" in the info. This is the most widely supported disk format. It is the standard format on most removable drives smaller than 16GB. You use it frequently and don't know it.

FAT32 has two general limitations which most people will never notice, but of which one should be aware:

1) File size is limited to 4GB. If you attempt to write a larger file to a FAT32 drive you will get an error. Few off us work with files of that size, but a common example would be a full DVD disc image (slightly larger)

2) Limits on the numbers of files and the length of filename/pathname that are lower than newer formats, but not low enough to cause most of us problems. Example. A FAT32 folder can contain only 16,000 files. Have you ever written 16,000 files to a folder?

Few people ever run into the FAT32 limits. If you need to reformat a drive FAT32, you should use a Mac. Ironically, OS X is MUCH better at FAT32 for cross-platform use than Windows. Do not use the "Erase" function but rather the "Partition" function. There is an "Options" button to change the Partition format to "Master Boot Record" which is important for a cross-platform drive.

Cheers,
tod

Tod Hopkins
Hillmann & Carr Inc.
todhopkins-at-hillmanncarr.com

On Jan 10, 2013, at 7:55 PM, nhoward5040 wrote:

> I am the leader of a golf group, where I have several excel files for the finances, and many word documents for instructions for weekly games, various payout schedules, etc. I need to pass this on to the next year's person. I am going to buy a flash drive to put all of the files on. (I have a Macbook Pro running 10.6.8, with Microsoft Office 2011 (the latest version)).
>
> I would like your advice on how best to store the documents on the flash drive, so they could be read by either a PC- or a Mac-user. Of course the Word and Excel files should be able to be opened by MS Office on either platform, but I am wondering about the format on the flash drive. I always reformat my flash drives to a Mac format, but wonder if this is not as good an idea for this purpose. If I reformat the flash drive to a Mac format, will the files, even though they are Word and EXcel files, be able to be read and downloaded onto a PC, if that is what the next person has? Or should I just leave the formatting alone, assuming that most flash drives come formatted in a PC format? Or should I format the drive in a FAT format, which I think can be done by Disk Utility.
>
> Any ideas? THanks for your advice
> Nancy
>
>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

------------------------------------

Group FAQ:
http://www.macsupportcentral.com/policies/>

Yahoo! Groups Links

Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:59 pm (PST) . Posted by:

"bj" jblair44

Would a CD/DVD work, or are there differences in how they're formatted (or
whatever) between PC & Mac?
bj

-----Original Message-----
From: bobbystar
Sent: Friday, January 11, 2013 3:30 PM
To: macsupportcentral@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [macsupport] Re: format for both PC and MSC

Consider using Google Docs or something similar that is web based. Then
almost anyone can use the files that you share or email.

--- In macsupportcentral@yahoogroups.com, "nhoward5040" wrote:
>
> I am the leader of a golf group, where I have several excel files for the
> finances, and many word documents for instructions for weekly games,
> various payout schedules, etc. I need to pass this on to the next year's
> person. I am going to buy a flash drive to put all of the files on. (I
> have a Macbook Pro running 10.6.8, with Microsoft Office 2011 (the latest
> version)).
>
> I would like your advice on how best to store the documents on the flash
> drive, so they could be read by either a PC- or a Mac-user. Of course the
> Word and Excel files should be able to be opened by MS Office on either
> platform, but I am wondering about the format on the flash drive. I
> always reformat my flash drives to a Mac format, but wonder if this is not
> as good an idea for this purpose. If I reformat the flash drive to a Mac
> format, will the files, even though they are Word and EXcel files, be able
> to be read and downloaded onto a PC, if that is what the next person has?
> Or should I just leave the formatting alone, assuming that most flash
> drives come formatted in a PC format? Or should I format the drive in a
> FAT format, which I think can be done by Disk Utility.
>
> Any ideas? THanks for your advice
> Nancy
>

Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:36 am (PST) . Posted by:

"Dave C" davec2468

A friend is having issues connecting with a PC from her iMac. It's a recent (2012) model running Lion.

She says:

"I use a program called GoToMyPC to access a clients system remotely. It requires Java. System worked fine Thursday all day. Tonight when I was checking the computer, I could not log onto this remote computer. I can log onto GoToMyPC but when I attempted to connect it indicates that I had "missing plug-ins". I downloaded and installed Java again for OS 10.7. I received a prompt indicating Java installed successfully....... Now when I try to connect is says "java download failed". When I look under system preferences and click on Java it says I have the correct version of java for my version of OS and that it is enabled????? Any ideas? "

I have zero experience with GoToMyPC so can offer limited suggestions beyond what she's done re. Java.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Dave
(Maybe the Maya really meant that it will be the end of *computers* around this time...)

Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:22 am (PST) . Posted by:

"Charles Lenington" fooltouse2

On 1/12/13 02:36 AM, Dave C wrote:
> A friend is having issues connecting with a PC from her iMac. It's a recent (2012) model running Lion.
>
> She says:
>
> "I use a program called GoToMyPC to access a clients system remotely. It requires Java. System worked fine Thursday all day. Tonight when I was checking the computer, I could not log onto this remote computer. I can log onto GoToMyPC but when I attempted to connect it indicates that I had "missing plug-ins". I downloaded and installed Java again for OS 10.7. I received a prompt indicating Java installed successfully....... Now when I try to connect is says "java download failed". When I look under system preferences and click on Java it says I have the correct version of java for my version of OS and that it is enabled????? Any ideas?"
>
> I have zero experience with GoToMyPC so can offer limited suggestions beyond what she's done re. Java.
>
> Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Cheers,
> Dave
> (Maybe the Maya really meant that it will be the end of *computers* around this time...)
>

Article on NBC this AM about security with Java.

Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:26 am (PST) . Posted by:

"Ken" avliska

In the latest iTunes, under the tools icon in podcasts, there is a box to check to "use default settings". But it doesn't say what the default settings are. Does anyone know what the default settings are for podcast downloading? Where do I find this info? Can they be changed? Thanks.
Ken S.

Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:35 am (PST) . Posted by:

"Barry Austern" barryaus


On Jan 12, 2013, at 12:26 PM, Ken wrote:

> In the latest iTunes, under the tools icon in podcasts, there is a box to check to "use default settings". But it doesn't say what the default settings are. Does anyone know what the default settings are for podcast downloading? Where do I find this info? Can they be changed? Thanks.
> Ken S.

Good question. I just looked and the "use default settings" was grayed out. I figured that maybe it was because I was already using the default settings, so I changed something, applied it, and then went back to settings. The "use default settings" was STILL checked, STILL grayed out, but the change I had made did show up.

Note, I am on 10.6.8, so I've no idea what it might be with another OS.

Barry Austern
barryaus@fuse.net

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

GROUP FOOTER MESSAGE