1/20/2013

[macsupport] Digest Number 9336

3 New Messages

Digest #9336
1
Time Machine Weirdness by "John Engberg" mrbyte
2a
2b
Re: Mail using the wrong smtp server by "Barry Austern" barryaus

Messages

Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:04 am (PST) . Posted by:

"John Engberg" mrbyte



I have a 27 in 2.7 GHz i5 iMac with 32GB of RAM running 10.8.2.

I have a really strange situation with Time Machine (TM). I had been backing up with TM on a 1TB external drive, and I bought a 3TB drive, to replace it. When I opened TM to select the drive, I was asked if I would like to use both drives for an alternating back up. I thought about that and decided to do it.

Subsequently, I looked at the TM drives to see how this alternation was working out. I looked first at the 1TB drive and saw that it was backing up every other hour. When I tried to look at the 3TB drive it was grayed out and the Backups.backupdb folder could not be opened. Checking the size I noted that some of the space had been used.

I tried booting from an another external drive to see if I could open the backup folder on the 3TB drive, but it was still grayed out. I checked the info on the 3TB drive and found in the Info window that the name column in the Sharing and Preferences showed "Custom" with read/write privilege. Also in the name column, there was a "Wheel" with read/write privilege. I was listed as read only, as was "staff" and everyone. I changed my privilege to read/write, but it didn't make any difference.

When I enter TM, I do not see an hourly backup - I only see a backup every two hours (E.G. 1,3,5), and the time does not correspond with the time listed for the backups on the 1TB drive(E.G. 2,4,6). It would appear that what is showing up, are the backups from the 3TB drive. I am able to restore with out a problem.

Does anyone have any idea about what's happening here, or any suggestions as to how to be able to see the 3TB backups and how to get TM to display all the backups when I enter TM? I'm baffled.

John Engberg

Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:07 am (PST) . Posted by:

"Dave C" davec2468

I subscribe to many mail lists, some with Hades.Listmoms.net and many with Yahoo.groups.

I have several email addresses, personal with gmail, and the yahoo address is used for list mail.

Every once in a while (a couple of times a week, recently), I'll address a new message or reply to one posted to one of the list groups. When I send it I use (as always) the smtp server for yahoo.

I will get an immediate reply from the Yahoo groups server saying that the message can't be delivered because the address from which the message was sent (gmail!) is not subscribed.

I can't figure out how this is happening. I send the message several times again, making sure that I use the Yahoo smtp server, and again it is rejected because it's coming from the gmail server. (The reply rejection notice is addressed to my gmail address.)

Finally, for some unknown reason, it is accepted and shows up in the list distribution.

My broadband service is with ATT (which uses Yahoo servers for mail, apparently), not gmail.

I open Mail Preferences and check the smtp server settings for the Yahoo mail account: it is indeed Yahoo's server.

I quit Mail and restart. No joy.

Why is this happening? Anyone else experience this? How to fix it?

Thanks,
Dave

Mail 4.6
2011 Mini 2.7 GHz dual i7 / 16 GB / 250 GB & 750 GB
OS X 10.6.8 Snow Leopard

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:14 am (PST) . Posted by:

"Barry Austern" barryaus


On Jan 20, 2013, at 2:07 PM, Dave C wrote:

> I subscribe to many mail lists, some with Hades.Listmoms.net and many with Yahoo.groups.
>
> I have several email addresses, personal with gmail, and the yahoo address is used for list mail.
>
> Every once in a while (a couple of times a week, recently), I'll address a new message or reply to one posted to one of the list groups. When I send it I use (as always) the smtp server for yahoo.
>
> I will get an immediate reply from the Yahoo groups server saying that the message can't be delivered because the address from which the message was sent (gmail!) is not
> Why is this happening? Anyone else experience this? How to fix it?
>
I had the same thing happen when I switched to Mail from Eudora. What I did was go to Mail's preferences and under "Composing" choose Send new messages from .

Also, in the header of the Mail message are three drop down menus, your name, the SMTP server and signature. Make sure that the first two are correct. Obviously the signature is irrelevant.

> _
>

--
Barry Austern
barryaus@fuse.net

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

GROUP FOOTER MESSAGE