1/28/2013

[macsupport] Digest Number 9356

14 New Messages

Digest #9356
1b
Re: when do they announce new models? by "David Brostoff" dcbrostoff
2a
2b
Re: WiFi Synching of iPhone by "Otto Nikolaus" nikyzf
2c
Re: WiFi Synching of iPhone by "Denver Dan" denverdan22180
2d
Re: WiFi Synching of iPhone by "T Hopkins" todhop
2e
Re: WiFi Synching of iPhone by "Daly Jessup" dalyjessup
2f
Re: WiFi Synching of iPhone by "Daly Jessup" dalyjessup
3a
Re: pages by "pat412255" pat412255
4a
Re: used iMac options by "Daly Jessup" dalyjessup
6a
Migration Assistant by "Doris" untoldexpressions
8a
Re: Illuminated External Keyboard? by "Carol Botteron" were_koala

Messages

Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:53 am (PST) . Posted by:

"bj" jblair44

Thanks, I guess that was what I was thinking of.
I may end up getting a current MBP since I'm not interested in Retina but I
do want a larger HD. Still dithering -- been dithering for ages -- as to
whether or not I want to "cope" with the effort involved in moving
everything around (& tidying up my space i.e. the worst part of it all!).
I'm keeping an eye on the refurb list but the 1TB model doesn't seem to turn
up.
bj

-----Original Message-----
From: Randy B. Singer
Sent: Monday, January 28, 2013 1:37 AM
To: macsupportcentral@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [macsupport] when do they announce new models?

On Jan 27, 2013, at 6:21 PM, bj wrote:

> Don't they sometimes usually? have a Big Announcement Meeting in the
> late-winter/early-spring when they actually announce what's coming?

Several years ago they used to announce a lot of their new stuff to coincide
with Macworld Expo and Steve Jobs' keynote speech there every year. But
Apple disassociated itself with Macworld Expo and now introduces stuff
whenever they feel like it, not based on any show or particular date.

Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:39 pm (PST) . Posted by:

"David Brostoff" dcbrostoff

On Jan 28, 2013, at 08:23 , bj bjones44@verizon.net> wrote:

> Thanks, I guess that was what I was thinking of.
> I may end up getting a current MBP since I'm not interested in Retina but I
> do want a larger HD.
>
> I'm keeping an eye on the refurb list but the 1TB model doesn't seem to turn
> up.

You might never find that particular configuration, which is built to order. Instead, get the model you want now, then install a new hard drive and maximum RAM yourself. That's what I did last year when I wanted a 17" MBP, but that model had been discontinued.

David

Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:53 am (PST) . Posted by:

"bj" jblair44

So you sync your phone to your work computer?
and keep all your content there?
Why, if this is what you do, do you find this preferable
to just using a cable at home?
bj

-----Original Message-----
From: T Hopkins
Sent: Monday, January 28, 2013 10:20 AM
To: macsupportcentral@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [macsupport] WiFi Synching of iPhone

BUT I do use it and here's how. In the office, where iTunes can more or
less reliably see the iPhone (remember it generally can't see my phone at
home), I wake up the phone. This must happen first. Now I run iTunes
immediately. iTunes usually detects the phone, but will not sync
automatically. (It's not supposed to because the phone is not connected to
power.) I select the phone in iTunes and click the sync button. If I do all
of this before the phone sleeps, it usually syncs. Sometimes iTunes tells
me it "can't find" the iPhone, even though it was just looking at it and I
have to start all over. Though when that happens, I just get out the cord.

Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:55 am (PST) . Posted by:

"Otto Nikolaus" nikyzf

What puzzles me is that I thought you could sync an iDevice with only one
instance of iTunes (and computer). Unless this has changed recently, when
you connect to any additional iTunes/computer, you only have the options of
replacing all content on the iDevice with that from the "new" iTunes, or
not syncing at all.

Otto

On 28 January 2013 16:51, bj bjones44@verizon.net> wrote:

> So you sync your phone to your work computer?
> and keep all your content there?
> Why, if this is what you do, do you find this preferable
> to just using a cable at home?
>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:54 am (PST) . Posted by:

"Denver Dan" denverdan22180

Howdy.

Odd. My iPhones 3G, 4, and now 5 have all worked beautifully with my
Verizon ActionTec WiFi router. The WiFi sync also works fine in
iTunes.

I suspect something else is the issue like possibly your household
using a 2.4 GHz frequency cordless phone system (I have a 5.8 GHz
cordless phone system) which can be problematic because 2.4 GHz is the
same frequency as WiFi.

Or, problems with garage door openers, baby room wireless monitors, and
physical construction with metal or maybe appliance obstructions
between router and WiFi devices.

Verizon now has available a newer ActionTec Router/WiFi/Ethernet with
WiFi 802.11 b/g/n speeds and Gigabit Ethernet ports.

Denver Dan

On Mon, 28 Jan 2013 10:20:45 -0500, T Hopkins wrote:
> I am the only person I know personally who has successfully used this
> function, including my three grown children who all say it's a
> "useless" feature. Many of the problems are networking issues not in
> your direct control. For instance, at work, iTunes sees my iPhone
> fine, but not at home. The difference is the router. Mac networking
> doesn't like the Verizon Actiontec router at home but it's fine with
> my work network.

Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:23 pm (PST) . Posted by:

"T Hopkins" todhop

It's not that Wi-fi doesn't work. Signal is solid. It's network discovery that has issues, which is quite common and very hard to diagnose (at least for me). Problems with the Verizon Actiontec routers and Mac network discovery are documented though there don't appear to be reliable solutions (I've tried several). Not limited to the Actiontec either. It just happens to be what I have.

Not unique to Mac either. Windows machines also have discovery issues, especially in mixed environments. Mine at home is mixed so it is possible that contributes.

Most of my troubleshooting has been for wireless printing. Set it up and all works perfectly. Next day, nothing. Only fix is to delete and add printer all over again, usually manually because "add printer" can't discover the printer. I have tried every config I can find and nothing sticks. Get it working, gone the next day. Wired is just fine. Plug in and good to go.

Frankly, I'm assuming the iPhone problem is related but I can't be sure. I only know that iTunes can't discover the phone about half the time. It does sometimes, but not reliably enough to use. As far as I can tell, there is simply no way to diagnose the problem. It either works, or doesn't.

Cheers,
tod

On Jan 28, 2013, at 2:54 PM, Denver Dan wrote:

> Howdy.
>
> Odd. My iPhones 3G, 4, and now 5 have all worked beautifully with my
> Verizon ActionTec WiFi router. The WiFi sync also works fine in
> iTunes.
>
> I suspect something else is the issue like possibly your household
> using a 2.4 GHz frequency cordless phone system (I have a 5.8 GHz
> cordless phone system) which can be problematic because 2.4 GHz is the
> same frequency as WiFi.
>
> Or, problems with garage door openers, baby room wireless monitors, and
> physical construction with metal or maybe appliance obstructions
> between router and WiFi devices.
>
> Verizon now has available a newer ActionTec Router/WiFi/Ethernet with
> WiFi 802.11 b/g/n speeds and Gigabit Ethernet ports.
>
> Denver Dan
>
> On Mon, 28 Jan 2013 10:20:45 -0500, T Hopkins wrote:
> > I am the only person I know personally who has successfully used this
> > function, including my three grown children who all say it's a
> > "useless" feature. Many of the problems are networking issues not in
> > your direct control. For instance, at work, iTunes sees my iPhone
> > fine, but not at home. The difference is the router. Mac networking
> > doesn't like the Verizon Actiontec router at home but it's fine with
> > my work network.
>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:33 pm (PST) . Posted by:

"Daly Jessup" dalyjessup


On Jan 28, 2013, at 7:20 AM, T Hopkins wrote:

> I am the only person I know personally who has successfully used this function, including my three grown children who all say it's a "useless" feature. Many of the problems are networking issues not in your direct control. For instance, at work, iTunes sees my iPhone fine, but not at home. The difference is the router. Mac networking doesn't like the Verizon Actiontec router at home but it's fine with my work network.
>
> Here is how it's supposed to work. In theory, when you plug the iPhone into a power source, it wakes up briefly, and then iTunes, if it happens to be running sees it over Wi-fi, and if set to sync automatically, does so. How is this useful?

Thanks for the helpful post. And I had come to the same conclusion. It's unnecessary, at least for me. My older iPhone definitely was seen in iTunes reliably. The new one isn't. So what. I just plug it in anyway.

Daly

Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:34 pm (PST) . Posted by:

"Daly Jessup" dalyjessup


On Jan 28, 2013, at 2:23 PM, T Hopkins wrote:

> It's not that Wi-fi doesn't work. Signal is solid. It's network discovery that has issues, which is quite common and very hard to diagnose (at least for me). Problems with the Verizon Actiontec routers and Mac network discovery are documented though there don't appear to be reliable solutions (I've tried several). Not limited to the Actiontec either. It just happens to be what I have.

Yeah, I have an Apple Airport Extreme Base Station. And wifi synching still doesn't work.

Daly

Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:23 am (PST) . Posted by:

"pat412255" pat412255



--- In macsupportcentral@yahoogroups.com, Jim Saklad wrote:
> My cataract (dominant left eye) gets replaced by an artificial lens this coming Thursday.
> I am hoping for greatly improved central acuity in that eye.
>
> --
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> Jim Saklad mailto:jimdoc@...
>
I'll be sending positive thoughts your way on Thursday!

Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:37 pm (PST) . Posted by:

"Daly Jessup" dalyjessup


On Jan 28, 2013, at 6:59 AM, T Hopkins wrote:

> Refurbished iMacs are generally a good deal. They are for all intents and purposes identical to "new" except for the packaging and the price. I've purchased many refurbs.

I believe I read somewhere that also, the refurbs get a more thorough quality check before release than new machines do. So I actually prefer them.

Daly

Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:41 pm (PST) . Posted by:

"Daly Jessup" dalyjessup


On Jan 28, 2013, at 8:21 AM, Jim Saklad wrote:

>>> You're lucky, I usually only get 3 years from an Apple Airport. And the
>>> switch is a lot cheaper.
>>
>> Considering that they have been probably the most expensive Wi-Fi routers
>> on the market, this is unacceptable.
>
> It would be if it were widespread.
>
> My Airport Extreme base station has been running 24/7 for around 5 years. I've re-booted it a couple of times, but no more care than that has been needed. It presently has all the plugs in the back in use -- WAN (of course), LAN times 3, and USB. Plus 5 devices using the Wifi daily.

I'm glad you said that, Jim. I have an absolutely perfect record with Apple Extreme Base Stations. I have had two, in many years. I replaced the first to get a later model, not that the earlier one ever gave any trouble. We actually have seven devices using it all the time, and sometimes as many as ten. Always full connection on them all. The set up is crazy easy. And it's just rock solid. I have also run USB devices from it, and shared a hard drive from it across the network.

I have set up routers for lots of other people, and while most work just fine, nothing compares to the simplicity, functionality, and good looks of the Apple product.

Daly

Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:22 pm (PST) . Posted by:

"Doris" untoldexpressions

We have an older (2005?) iMac20; can I use migration assistant to transfer
data to a new 21.5?

If so, how is it done?

Thanks,

Doris

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:54 pm (PST) . Posted by:

"Andrew Buc" andrewbuc

On Jan 27, 2013, at 11:56 AM, Carol Corley wrote:

> Now what are Command Z and Command A?

Mac Command = Windows Control (as in cmd-Z, cmd-A, etc.)
Mac Option = Windows Alt

Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:00 pm (PST) . Posted by:

"Carol Botteron" were_koala

> Posted by: "JR" jrosen82@sbcglobal.net jrosen82@sbcglobal.net
> I have a Logitech Illuminated Keyboard 920-000914 you can google that name
> and number, and bring up all who sell it. This thing is super-thin, but its the full
> 106 keys. Good to type on, good illumination.
> Oh, it doesn't mention mac compatible, but it is. Mac OS configures the keyboard.

Thank you. This looks good, except the palm rest on the front would not leave enough space on my little desk for my breakfast. My current keyboard is about 5.5" front to back and I hope to find one about this size. The one you mentioned is the only illuminated keyboard MacConnection has that is Mac compatible, so I may have to compromise but I'll keep looking.

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

GROUP FOOTER MESSAGE