4/22/2013

[macsupport] Digest Number 9505

15 New Messages

Digest #9505
1a
Re: Basic "Accounts" question by "Denver Dan" denverdan22180
2a
Re the iPhoto and 27  inch iMac by "Jane Klorer" janelily11
2c
Re: Re the iPhoto and 27  inch iMac by "bob morin" rbmorin2002
2d
3b
Re: Uh oh, can't get photos from PC Book drive to iMac by "John Ross" maltcote@btinternet.com
4a
iWatch by "HAL9000" jrswebhome
4b
Re: iWatch by "Bill Boulware" boulware0224
5a
Off topic need Windows by "Richard Meyeroff" rellmeyer
5b
Re: Off topic need Windows by "Vandrei Jaques" vandrei_jaques
5c
Re: Off topic need Windows by "Jim Saklad" jimdoc01

Messages

Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:10 am (PDT) . Posted by:

"Denver Dan" denverdan22180

Howdy.

-First, having your Mac OS computer account name match your email name
has nothing to do with being able to receiving email messages, or sync
them, in any "name."

Your Mac OS Computer account name could be Beelzebub and your email
account could be Jezebel and you will still receive email. However,
you might want to learn about using an Apple ID with your User account
which provides several convenient features.

-Second, your Mac OS X Computer account has two names: A short one and
a long one. Since I'm the only user on my main computer I have both
short and long accounts names the same word for convenience.

-Third, making your own Admin user account is just fine. You can use
the Accounts panel in Sys Prefs to configure things so your computer
boots into this new user account automatically, if you like.

-Fourth, keeping the old "apple" account is OK but IMO not a great user
account name idea to use the word "Apple" that was created by someone
else.

Many people create a 2nd User Account for troubleshooting and testing
purposes. I have one called "Test" on my Mac and use it occasionally.
It takes up very little space to do this.

You can delete an old User Account like the "Apple" account and one of
the options when doing this is to save the account's contents to a Disk
Image File on your hard drive. You could then burn it to a DVD disc
and keep it around in case you think that it might contain something
you need later. Remember this archives to Disk Image File the contents
of the User Account and not all of the applications, System, and the
top level Library folder or other User Accounts. Hence the drive space
needed is much less.

I hope the Disk Image File option is still available when deleting an
Account. I'm using Mac OS X 10.7 Lion still and have never deleted an
account in Lion but I think it's still an option.

Good luck!

Denver Dan

On Mon, 22 Apr 2013 05:25:35 +0000, Eric wrote:
> I bought my Mac Pro used and the seller had wiped the drive and
> re-installed 10.6.8 with a default Account and Home folder called
> "apple". Once I got the machine home, I made my own password. In an
> attempt to get emails synched to my name, I changed the Account name
> in the system prefs to my name, Eric Nelson and I'm the Admin of that
> account. That didn't affect the name of the Home folder as I'd hoped
> back then.
>
> Since changing the name of the home folder to my name isn't possible
> without major risks and other issues, it is my understanding that I
> need to make a new account with my name. I would then want to delete
> the account "apple" once I know all permissions and contacts etc,
> (i.e. all the particulars of the "apple" account) have been
> transferred to the new account.
>
> I've been using the machine with this setup for a year now and
> realize I should just bite the bullet and spend the 1/2 hour or so
> needed to do this.
>
> My question is, how do I insure I've duplicated everything in the new
> account that is present in the "apple" account before I delete it?
> Any words of warning or things to look out for is appreciated.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Eric

Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:12 am (PDT) . Posted by:

"Jane Klorer" janelily11

Hi and thanks for your responses !I have 12 gigs on the iMac as Apple suggested it would stop the problems with crashing on Aperture! It did ! Now iPhoto crashes! Of perhaps slight interest is the fact that one of Apples very good tech guys who does both Aperture and iPhoto support , suggested not ever using the connection link to Facebook and Flickr from Aperture! So far it has totally cleared up the problems with crashes and popups or messages and saying it had trouble connecting to Facebook or Flickr !

I use Facebook mostly to share photos of my dogs Russian Wolfhounds and labs and some other photos! My 27 inch was at an Apple authorized service provider for over 2 months and their final thoughts were that it was related to my having to use Verizon as my ISP! Verizon of course denied this was the problem!

Am a bit curious to know if being in a place that AT&T said was clearly not a good place for reception due to mountains and hills and rocky terrain would have anything to do with the performance of the iMac on Verizon DSL? Am so bummed about the lack of connections to this area and could the area and Verizon DSL be the problem? Only other ISP is Charter and the Apple folks did NOT think that would be better? ? TY and will read about the iPod Touch camera! Thanks folks! Jane Klorer in a very poor connection zone of Worcester County MA !

Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:59 pm (PDT) . Posted by:

"N.A. Nada"

Jane,

DSL uses "copper wire" or telephone landlines to connect you to the internet. Terrain does not affect DSL. If you have a landline, and are not too far from a CO (switching office), then you can get DSL. Hilly terrain might add to the distance to the CO, since the distance is not "as the crow flies", but by how far down the wire the signal has to go. This might cause problems.

Charter looks to be another DSL, but they might have a better tech support. I have never used Charter, so I don't know. They probably use the same CO as Verizon for your location, both renting space at the local telcom.

I would guess that if the Apple authorized service provider suggested the problem was with Verizon, then it might be with the set up, hardware, or just the distance to the CO. Or it may be with the domain name server (DNS) you are using, causing the browser to time out. The DNS has nothing to do with the ISP, but you can change that by software.

If an ISP is talking about poor reception because of terrain, then they are speaking of cellular, and for a residence that does not move, than the level of reception is going to be constant. And if the ISP says they can not provide good, believe them, they have no reason to send business away.

Brent

On Apr 22, 2013, at 10:12 AM, Jane Klorer wrote:

Hi and thanks for your responses !I have 12 gigs on the iMac as Apple suggested it would stop the problems with crashing on Aperture! It did ! Now iPhoto crashes! Of perhaps slight interest is the fact that one of Apples very good tech guys who does both Aperture and iPhoto support , suggested not ever using the connection link to Facebook and Flickr from Aperture! So far it has totally cleared up the problems with crashes and popups or messages and saying it had trouble connecting to Facebook or Flickr !

I use Facebook mostly to share photos of my dogs Russian Wolfhounds and labs and some other photos! My 27 inch was at an Apple authorized service provider for over 2 months and their final thoughts were that it was related to my having to use Verizon as my ISP! Verizon of course denied this was the problem!

Am a bit curious to know if being in a place that AT&T said was clearly not a good place for reception due to mountains and hills and rocky terrain would have anything to do with the performance of the iMac on Verizon DSL? Am so bummed about the lack of connections to this area and could the area and Verizon DSL be the problem? Only other ISP is Charter and the Apple folks did NOT think that would be better? ? TY and will read about the iPod Touch camera! Thanks folks! Jane Klorer in a very poor connection zone of Worcester County MA !

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:05 pm (PDT) . Posted by:

"bob morin" rbmorin2002


On Apr 22, 2013, at 2:59 PM, N.A. Nada <whodo678@comcast.net> wrote:
>
> Charter looks to be another DSL,

I thought Charter was a cable company.

bob

Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:29 pm (PDT) . Posted by:

"HAL9000" jrswebhome

Start up iPhoto by holding Apple+Option, tell it to rebuild your iPhoto Library Database from automatic backup. That is, if you backup your computer on an external hard drive. I hope you do. I learned the hard way, so I do now.

--- In macsupportcentral@yahoogroups.com, Jane Klorer <janemajesty11@...> wrote:
>
> Hi and thanks for your responses !I have 12 gigs on the iMac as Apple suggested it would stop the problems with crashing on Aperture! It did ! Now iPhoto crashes! Of perhaps slight interest is the fact that one of Apples very good tech guys who does both Aperture and iPhoto support , suggested not ever using the connection link to Facebook and Flickr from Aperture! So far it has totally cleared up the problems with crashes and popups or messages and saying it had trouble connecting to Facebook or Flickr !
>
> I use Facebook mostly to share photos of my dogs Russian Wolfhounds and labs and some other photos! My 27 inch was at an Apple authorized service provider for over 2 months and their final thoughts were that it was related to my having to use Verizon as my ISP! Verizon of course denied this was the problem!
>
> Am a bit curious to know if being in a place that AT&T said was clearly not a good place for reception due to mountains and hills and rocky terrain would have anything to do with the performance of the iMac on Verizon DSL? Am so bummed about the lack of connections to this area and could the area and Verizon DSL be the problem? Only other ISP is Charter and the Apple folks did NOT think that would be better? ? TY and will read about the iPod Touch camera! Thanks folks! Jane Klorer in a very poor connection zone of Worcester County MA !
>

Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:39 pm (PDT) . Posted by:

"N.A. Nada"

I don't know, other than they offer DSL service on their web page I looked at. Charter is not on the West Coast where I am.

On Apr 22, 2013, at 1:05 PM, bob morin wrote:

On Apr 22, 2013, at 2:59 PM, N.A. Nada <whodo678@comcast.net> wrote:
>
> Charter looks to be another DSL,

I thought Charter was a cable company.

bob

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:19 am (PDT) . Posted by:

"Carol" floridabouvs

My PC (Windows XP) died. I have the external hard drive that I did backups on regularly. It is a WD Book.
So I got on the phone with Apple to see if I could get the photos onto the iMac, and it would not read anything.
My next best choice is to hook the Book drive to an XP PC and see if I can then transfer them to a flash drive.
Unfortunately, I have these external backups on my computers but absolutely no idea what to do if I actually need the stuff off of it.
Thanks for any advice.
Carol

Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:22 am (PDT) . Posted by:

"John Ross" maltcote@btinternet.com

Carol, you should be able to just connect the drive to your iMac and access the jpg files.

On 22 Apr 2013, at 18:19, Carol <floridabouvs@gmail.com> wrote:

> My PC (Windows XP) died. I have the external hard drive that I did backups on regularly. It is a WD Book.
> So I got on the phone with Apple to see if I could get the photos onto the iMac, and it would not read anything.
> My next best choice is to hook the Book drive to an XP PC and see if I can then transfer them to a flash drive.
> Unfortunately, I have these external backups on my computers but absolutely no idea what to do if I actually need the stuff off of it.
> Thanks for any advice.
> Carol
>
>
>
> ------------------------------------
>
> Group FAQ:
> <http://www.macsupportcentral.com/policies/>
>
> Yahoo! Groups Links
>
>
>

Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:55 am (PDT) . Posted by:

"Tim O'Donoghue" timodonoghue

Carol;

If the PC drive was formatted in NTFS (common for Windows) then you may
need a utility such as Tuxera NTFS or similar. This will allow the Mac
to read NTFS-formatted drives as well as write to them.

> Carol <mailto:floridabouvs@gmail.com>
> April 22, 2013 10:19 AM
>
> My PC (Windows XP) died. I have the external hard drive that I did
> backups on regularly. It is a WD Book.
> So I got on the phone with Apple to see if I could get the photos onto
> the iMac, and it would not read anything.
> My next best choice is to hook the Book drive to an XP PC and see if I
> can then transfer them to a flash drive.
> Unfortunately, I have these external backups on my computers but
> absolutely no idea what to do if I actually need the stuff off of it.
> Thanks for any advice.
> Carol
>
>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:22 pm (PDT) . Posted by:

"Denver Dan" denverdan22180

Howdy.

Carol, here's some information.

Your Macintosh can read and write to a variety of different kinds of
formatted drives.

The hard drive in question needs to "mount" on your Mac's Desktop - the
icon must appear when drive is turned on.

Do your have Hard disks and External Disks check (on) in Finder
Preferences? To do this go to Finder menu > Preferences. Then click
the Sidebar icon on the Preferences toolbar. Then look at the DEVICES
section and check on Hard disks and External disks so their icons will
mount on the Desktop.

Here is a list of the basic formatting systems.

1. Standard Macintosh formatted HD uses a system called Mac OS
Extended.
You can Read from and Write to Mac OS Extended drives.

2. Microsoft NTFS system formatted drives also works on your Mac but
with a limit.
A Microsoft NTFS HD, as is, you can Read FROM the NTFS drive but you
can't Write TO it when connected to a Macintosh. This is because
Microsoft won't license that as a free technology to Apple.
However, there are several drivers available that will let your Mac OS
X computer Read FROM and Write TO a NTFS hard drive. One is called
Texera and it's a commercial product.

3. Microsoft FAT-32 is an older Microsoft drive formatting scheme and
it works on Macintosh both to Read FROM and Write TO a connected hard
drive. This has some file length limits and file size limits but works
well.

- - - - -

So, a Western Digital MyBook should connect to your Macintosh and if it
is formatted as NTFS for Windows you should be able to move files FROM
it to your Macintosh.

If you can't, then some other problem is happening such as a failed WD
MyBook (a very common experience), a bad cable, a bad port on the WD
MyBook drive case.

Try a different cable. Can I assume it is a USB cable?
Try plugging it into a different USB port on Mac.
Does the WD MyBook power up when you turn it on? Do you hear it
spinning up?

Have you tried turning off the WD MyBook, or disconnecting the USB
cable, booting your Mac, after fully booted, turn on and plug in USB
cable. Does it mount the dick icon?

Have you tried connecting the MyBook to a shut down Macintosh and then
booting the Mac?

I recently received a WD MyBook from a relative, new, formatted for
Windows NTFS, and I could copy files FROM it to my Mac on first try. I
got the Texera driver for NTFS for Macintosh and was able to copy files
TO the WD drive with zero problems. Copied lots of photos and sent it
back to the relative.

My experience with WD MyBook drives has been pretty abysmal. I don't
trust them (having had one). In fact both the drive case, the bridge
chip logic board in the case, and the drive itself became defective
after about 8 months of use and I finally put the beast on a concrete
floor and took a 16 lb sledge hammer to it and reduced it to slivers,
dust, and shards. Very satisfying.

Denver Dan

On Mon, 22 Apr 2013 17:19:27 +0000, Carol wrote:
> My PC (Windows XP) died. I have the external hard drive that I did
> backups on regularly. It is a WD Book.
> So I got on the phone with Apple to see if I could get the photos
> onto the iMac, and it would not read anything.
> My next best choice is to hook the Book drive to an XP PC and see if
> I can then transfer them to a flash drive.
> Unfortunately, I have these external backups on my computers but
> absolutely no idea what to do if I actually need the stuff off of it.
> Thanks for any advice.
> Carol

Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:19 pm (PDT) . Posted by:

"HAL9000" jrswebhome

Has anyone heard what the advantage of an iWatch will be? I don't want to have a cord leading to my ear, or have conversations over heard if it's a phone. I can't read my iPhone dial in the sun. My iPhone loses power after heavy use within two hours. Will a watch hold power longer than two hours?

I have a $32 watch that never seems to run out of power, & tells me the time, and an iPhone in my pocket that I make calls on and tell me the time. Why do I want an iWatch?

Just askin'

Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:27 pm (PDT) . Posted by:

"Bill Boulware" boulware0224

AFAIK it is just a rumor at this point - the closest thing to it was the
watch band that you would snap an iPod nano into which is basically just a
way to carry it and showed you the time, etc..

If it is anything to do with iPhone would be paired via Bluetooth to see
who is calling, etc I don't imagine it would be a replacement for an iPhone
at all but rather music storage..

On Mon, Apr 22, 2013 at 5:19 PM, HAL9000 <jrswebhome@yahoo.com> wrote:

> **
>
>
> Has anyone heard what the advantage of an iWatch will be? I don't want to
> have a cord leading to my ear, or have conversations over heard if it's a
> phone. I can't read my iPhone dial in the sun. My iPhone loses power after
> heavy use within two hours. Will a watch hold power longer than two hours?
>
> I have a $32 watch that never seems to run out of power, & tells me the
> time, and an iPhone in my pocket that I make calls on and tell me the time.
> Why do I want an iWatch?
>
> Just askin'
>
>
>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:28 pm (PDT) . Posted by:

"Richard Meyeroff" rellmeyer

I have a client that has lost their install disks and all docs for
windows xp pro.His machine has become infected to the point of no
return except for a complete install. it is an old gateway and he
doesn't want to buy a new machine. Do any of you know where I can get
a legitamate copy of XP pro as well as all of the service packs.

Please email me at rem@meyeroff-c-c.com
--
Have a Happy & Enjoy

Richard Meyeroff

rem@meyeroff-c-c.com

Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:41 pm (PDT) . Posted by:

"Vandrei Jaques" vandrei_jaques

You can try download from Microsoft a Trial disk and use a serial key
for your client and he autenticate with Microsoft the copy =P. But
before this, it's important make a backup, use a Linux Live-CD to access
the Windows partition and make a copy of all data to a external drive.

> Richard Meyeroff <mailto:rem@meyeroff-c-c.com>
> 22 de abril de 2013 23:28
>
> I have a client that has lost their install disks and all docs for
> windows xp pro.His machine has become infected to the point of no
> return except for a complete install. it is an old gateway and he
> doesn't want to buy a new machine. Do any of you know where I can get
> a legitamate copy of XP pro as well as all of the service packs.
>
> Please email me at rem@meyeroff-c-c.com <mailto:rem%40meyeroff-c-c.com>
> --
> Have a Happy & Enjoy
>
> Richard Meyeroff
>
> rem@meyeroff-c-c.com <mailto:rem%40meyeroff-c-c.com>
>
>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:12 pm (PDT) . Posted by:

"Jim Saklad" jimdoc01

> I have a client that has lost their install disks and all docs for windows xp pro. His machine has become infected to the point of no return except for a complete install. it is an old gateway and he doesn't want to buy a new machine. Do any of you know where I can get a legitamate [sic] copy of XP pro as well as all of the service packs.

How does obtaining a copy of Windows for an old Gateway computer fall under the heading of "Mac Support"?

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Jim Saklad mailto:jimdoc@icloud.com

GROUP FOOTER MESSAGE