4/27/2013

[macsupport] Digest Number 9512

7 New Messages

Digest #9512

Messages

Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:35 am (PDT) . Posted by:

"HAL9000" jrswebhome

Great to see your research & troubleshooting paid off. Nice job.

--- In macsupportcentral@yahoogroups.com, Donna Ells <dellis70@...> wrote:
>
> Hi! I found the problem that was causing my 27" iMac's sleep mode to delay.
> The original problem was one which occurred overnight, and the sleep mode
> took about 40 seconds to complete, while the shut down worked as it should.
>
> Eventually, I found the problem here:
>
> Home>Library>Prefs>com.apple.systemuiserver.plist
>
> I deleted that plist
>
> restarted
>
> The sleep problem has not occured for the past two weeks since discovering
> this.
> So it took me 3 months to find, but I eventually did discover it. Perhaps
> others with a similar problem might be interested.
>
> Persistently,
> Donna
>
>
> From: Donna Ells <dellis70@...>
> Reply-To: Mac Support Central <macsupportcentral@yahoogroups.com>
> Date: Saturday, December 29, 2012 5:23 PM
> To: Mac Support Central <macsupportcentral@yahoogroups.com>
> Subject: [macsupport] new approach to question about glitch
>
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > Hi ¡© I wrote some time back about a new sleep issue on 27" iMac.
> >
> > I've now determined it is NOT a hardware issue, and wondering if it is a
> > plist file or preferences and hoping someone might give me a clue.
> >
> > Problem: X.6.8 iMac takes 30-40 seconds to go to sleep. Something is causing
> > it to "work" before it can sleep. Sometimes it wakes on its own, but goes
> > back to sleep after the 15 minutes automatic setting.
> >
> > steps taken so far:
> >
> > phoned apple care who advised me it is likely a logic board and I should
> > take it to the genius bar.
> >
> > HOWEVER
> >
> > I have an external HD. Half partitioned for TM, and half is a clone. When
> > ext HD is unplugged, and no apps are running, the iMac still takes a long
> > time to go to sleep.
> >
> > My husband has an identical iMac (but his is 21.5"). His iMac sleeps as it
> > should. I put my external HD on my husband's iMac, and booted up.
> >
> > Using my external drive, the sleep issue still occurs, even on his iMac.
> >
> > Therefore, it cannot be hardware, right? It has to be a prefs or plist or
> > something like that, right?
> >
> > Can anyone offer other suggestions PLEASE?
> >
> > Thank you,
> > Donna
> >
> >
>
>
>
>
> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>

Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:19 pm (PDT) . Posted by:

"N.A. Nada"

I'm curious Donna, what was happening when the sleep was hanging? And by extension, what caused the plist corruption?

I looked for what systemuiserver.plist is, and found the below at MacRumors Guide:

"The SystemUIServer is a background process that controls several aspects of the Mac OS X user interface, and is one of the applications that are constantly running, when viewed with the Activity Monitor.

Specifically, it controls the right hand side of the Menu bar, where the Menu Extras live, as well as handling application launch following CD or DVD insertion, and handling external devices, such as the iPod.

A bad hardware state may cause the SystemUIServer to hang. Often, unplugging the external device will unhang the SystemUIServer.

The SystemUIServer is owned by the logged in user (as opposed to root) and automatically restarts if it crashes or is force quit."

If it comes back look for a hardware issue.

Brent

On Apr 26, 2013, at 4:15 AM, Donna Ells wrote:

Hi! I found the problem that was causing my 27" iMac's sleep mode to delay.
The original problem was one which occurred overnight, and the sleep mode
took about 40 seconds to complete, while the shut down worked as it should.

Eventually, I found the problem here:

Home>Library>Prefs>com.apple.systemuiserver.plist

I deleted that plist

restarted

The sleep problem has not occured for the past two weeks since discovering
this.
So it took me 3 months to find, but I eventually did discover it. Perhaps
others with a similar problem might be interested.

Persistently,
Donna

Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:17 am (PDT) . Posted by:

"Jay Abraham" kerala01212001

I have used a Tumi leather soft sided briefcase for the last 15+ years. It has a special compartment to protect computers and plenty of space. I'm not sure the style I have is still available but it has done a terrific job of protecting my G4 powerbook (personal) as well as a work laptop that I carried. I kept the G4 in the special compartment and put the other work laptop in the main compartment.

Have had the bag drop from top of tables, out of overhead compartments, etc and never had a problem with anything breaking.

Only drawback is that it allows me to stuff too much into the bag.

Jay

On Apr 25, 2013, at 7:06 PM, Charles Carroll wrote:

> I have a MacBook Pro Retina and I want something to carry it in with
> plenty of room for other goodies: magazines, maybe some puches and
> pockets for cables, phone, Kindles, iPad.
>
> Do any of you have a favorite case (I don't like backpacks i prefer
> more briefcase style but I might be swayed) that is tough and fits the
> MacBook well with room for more stuff I always have a lot of stuff to
> carry on my 1.5 hour commute on train and subway.
>
> Tomorrow is pay day so I wanted to order a case this weekend or no
> later than Monday night.
>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:11 pm (PDT) . Posted by:

"Carol" floridabouvs

I have a fairly new iMac and am still getting used to it.
The problem with my Yahoo email (4 accounts) in the Mac is that when the computer powers up, it tells me it needs a password for an email account, yet there are dots where the password is, indicating it has the pw. So I click ok, and another of the accounts comes up with the same problem. Sometimes I restyle the pw, same problem.
So I took out all the passwords and re-entered them. Twice. Still having an issue.
So I contacted Apple tech support who couldn't solve the problem but tried setting up a user named Test with those accounts. Still happens.
The tech said it could be a Yahoo issue, but it had been happening on and off for weeks. And I never have a problem with those Yahoo accounts in my iPads or PC.
Or ... he said I might have to re-install the OS, which sounds like a major pain.
Has anyone else had such a problem? And if so, how did you fix it?
Thanks,
Carol

Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:45 pm (PDT) . Posted by:

"David Brostoff" dcbrostoff

On Apr 26, 2013, at 14:11 , Carol <floridabouvs@gmail.com> wrote:

> The problem with my Yahoo email (4 accounts) in the Mac is that when the computer powers up, it tells me it needs a password for an email account, yet there are dots where the password is, indicating it has the pw. So I click ok, and another of the accounts comes up with the same problem. Sometimes I restyle the pw, same problem.
> So I took out all the passwords and re-entered them. Twice. Still having an issue.
> So I contacted Apple tech support who couldn't solve the problem but tried setting up a user named Test with those accounts. Still happens.
> The tech said it could be a Yahoo issue, but it had been happening on and off for weeks. And I never have a problem with those Yahoo accounts in my iPads or PC.
> Or ... he said I might have to re-install the OS, which sounds like a major pain.
> Has anyone else had such a problem? And if so, how did you fix it

This problem has often been discussed. It apparently happens to anyone with Mail and a Yahoo account. I experience it periodically (OS X 10.8.3).

Some say the solution is to click Cancel when the alert occurs. Others say to search for Yahoo in Keychain Access and delete whatever Yahoo password(s) you find, which will be recreated the next time you enter the password in Mail. Still others say to set the interval that Mail checks for new messages to 15 minutes or longer.

I have tried the first two methods and sometimes they seem to work for a while, but the problem eventually resurfaces. Lately I have just been clicking Cancel and have noticed that the next time there is a mail check I don't get the error message. But, as I said, at some point later--I haven't really kept track of the interval, which may be days or longer--it comes back again.

David

Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:53 pm (PDT) . Posted by:

"David Brostoff" dcbrostoff

On Apr 26, 2013, at 16:45 , David Brostoff <DAVBRO@EARTHLINK.NET> wrote:

> On Apr 26, 2013, at 14:11 , Carol <floridabouvs@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> The problem with my Yahoo email (4 accounts) in the Mac is that when the computer powers up, it tells me it needs a password for an email account, yet there are dots where the password is, indicating it has the pw. So I click ok, and another of the accounts comes up with the same problem. Sometimes I restyle the pw, same problem.
>> So I took out all the passwords and re-entered them. Twice. Still having an issue.
>> So I contacted Apple tech support who couldn't solve the problem but tried setting up a user named Test with those accounts. Still happens.
>> The tech said it could be a Yahoo issue, but it had been happening on and off for weeks. And I never have a problem with those Yahoo accounts in my iPads or PC.
>> Or ... he said I might have to re-install the OS, which sounds like a major pain.
>> Has anyone else had such a problem? And if so, how did you fix it
>
> This problem has often been discussed. It apparently happens to anyone with Mail and a Yahoo account.

Correction: It apparently happens to other Mail accounts, not just Yahoo ones. I get it with Yahoo but also others from time to time.

David

Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:08 pm (PDT) . Posted by:

"N.A. Nada"

It happens occasionally with many ISP, if the server does not respond fast enough. But Yahoo, does seem to be having problems lately.

But what you said make me think that there is another cause to your problem.

Either take Mail.app out of the Startup Items or move it to the end of the list. It might be trying to connect before the network or internet before everything is ready.

Don't open Mail, until your iMac has completely started up.

Brent

On Apr 26, 2013, at 2:11 PM, Carol wrote:

I have a fairly new iMac and am still getting used to it.
The problem with my Yahoo email (4 accounts) in the Mac is that when the computer powers up, it tells me it needs a password for an email account, yet there are dots where the password is, indicating it has the pw. So I click ok, and another of the accounts comes up with the same problem. Sometimes I restyle the pw, same problem.
So I took out all the passwords and re-entered them. Twice. Still having an issue.
So I contacted Apple tech support who couldn't solve the problem but tried setting up a user named Test with those accounts. Still happens.
The tech said it could be a Yahoo issue, but it had been happening on and off for weeks. And I never have a problem with those Yahoo accounts in my iPads or PC.
Or ... he said I might have to re-install the OS, which sounds like a major pain.
Has anyone else had such a problem? And if so, how did you fix it?
Thanks,
Carol

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

We are making changes based on your feedback, Thank you !
The Yahoo! Groups Product Blog
GROUP FOOTER MESSAGE