4/28/2013

[macsupport] Digest Number 9514

Mac Support Central

9 New Messages

Digest #9514

Messages

Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:58 pm (PDT) . Posted by:

"N.A. Nada"

Well, I stand corrected.

Not cheap, but not expensive either. It seems faster than the free screen sharing & connecting over Ethernet.

Brent

On Apr 27, 2013, at 12:17 PM, Daly Jessup wrote:

On Apr 27, 2013, at 11:54 AM, hpsbenbenek wrote:

> I pulled out my old 2006 iMac from the garage to retrieve some files
> and was pleased to see that its display was still in great, clear shape.
>
> Is it possible to connect this old iMac to my current Mac Mini
> and use it as a standard display?

Here's another discussion of this issue. I recall having set up just such an arrangement myself many years ago. It CAN be done. Just google it.

<https://discussions.apple.com/thread/1118389?start=0&tstart=0>

Daly

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:56 pm (PDT) . Posted by:

"Randy B. Singer" randybrucesinger


On Apr 27, 2013, at 11:54 AM, hpsbenbenek wrote:

> Is it possible to connect this old iMac to my current Mac Mini
> and use it as a standard display?

I've been asked a bunch of times if an old iMac can be used as a monitor for a new Macintosh. The conventional wisdom is that, no, it can't.

Then I stumbled upon this product:
ScreenRecycler
http://www.screenrecycler.com/

Using a combination of Ethernet and VNC, ScreenRecycler allows you to use an iMac as a *second* (NOT the primary, That is, it allows a two monitor setup.) monitor for your computer.

I was curious as to whether ScreenRecycler could be used to make an iMac be the primary monitor for another Mac, so I wrote to the company and asked. According to Patrick Stein at ScreenRecycler, to set up an iMac to act
as a primary display for a Mini "you don't need ScreenRecycler for
that task, a VNC client would be all
you need."

Here is a VNC client
Jolly fast VNC ($30)
http://www.jinx.de/JollysFastVNC.html

The VNC server is already in OS X.

___________________________________________
Randy B. Singer
Co-author of The Macintosh Bible (4th, 5th, and 6th editions)

Macintosh OS X Routine Maintenance
http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html
___________________________________________

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Sun Apr 28, 2013 4:31 am (PDT) . Posted by:

"Otto Nikolaus" nikyzf

On 28 April 2013 06:56, Randy B. Singer <randy@macattorney.com> wrote:

>
> Here is a VNC client
> Jolly fast VNC ($30)
> http://www.jinx.de/JollysFastVNC.html
>
> The VNC server is already in OS X.
>

It might not be clear to everyone how to run the VNC Server. You simply
enable System Preferences > Screen Sharing or Remote Management (Screen
Sharing is a subset of Remote Management; they both allow VNC access but if
you run one you can't run the other).

There is a free VNC client for OS X, Chicken (formerly Chicken of the VNC).
<http://sourceforge.net/projects/chicken/>

and for iPhone there is Mocha VNC Lite
<https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/mocha-vnc-lite/id284984448?mt=8>

Otto

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Sun Apr 28, 2013 5:48 am (PDT) . Posted by:

"Chris Jones" bobstermcbob

Hi,

> It might not be clear to everyone how to run the VNC Server. You simply
> enable System Preferences > Screen Sharing or Remote Management (Screen
> Sharing is a subset of Remote Management; they both allow VNC access but if
> you run one you can't run the other).
>
> There is a free VNC client for OS X, Chicken (formerly Chicken of the VNC).
> <http://sourceforge.net/projects/chicken/>

Why not start with the VNC client built in to OSX ;) Its called "screen Sharing" and once you have enabled it on a machine, as above, that machine should then appear on other machines in the "shared" section in Finder. Just click on "share screen" at the top.

I use exactly this to administer my Mac Mini, which is only connected to my TV via HDMI, from my MacBook Pro. No other screen, keyboard or mouse…. Works a charm. No need to pay for a client ...

cheers Chris

>
> and for iPhone there is Mocha VNC Lite
> <https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/mocha-vnc-lite/id284984448?mt=8>
>
> Otto
>
>
> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>
>
>
> ------------------------------------
>
> Group FAQ:
> <http://www.macsupportcentral.com/policies/>
>
> Yahoo! Groups Links
>
>
>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:08 pm (PDT) . Posted by:

"John Engberg" mrbyte


On Apr 27, 2013, at 3:22 PM, Daly Jessup <jessup@san.rr.com> wrote:

>
> On Apr 27, 2013, at 11:58 AM, John Engberg wrote:
>
>> Preview cannot handle a GFX graphic. Preview can open vector graphics that are in eps format, however.
>>
>> The file type I'm trying to open is GFX, and according to the Print Explosion Deluxe manual, "The vector graphics included with Print Explosion Deluxe are in GFX format…. Note that GFX graphics cannot be used in other applications."
>
> I've been looking into this out of curiosity, and it appears to me that you might have better luck doing the conversions on a Windows machine. I don't find any converters for Mac, but quite a few candidates for Windows.
>
> Once converted, you could, of course, move the files to the Mac.
>
> Daly
>

I'll take a look at that, Daly. I'm running Windows 7 in Fusion, so I've got the capability. I just hate using it.

John

Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:13 pm (PDT) . Posted by:

"HAL9000" jrswebhome

In the early 90's, the only way I remember reviewing these PC based libraries was through the printed catalogues in the box. I think the gfx extension represented various types of PC graphic files. Never knew of a way to export then convert multiple PC library files from this PC library other than one at a time.

--- In macsupportcentral@yahoogroups.com, John Engberg <mrbyte@...> wrote:
>
> I would like to find some software to convert a bunch of GFX graphics and GFX graphic libraries to some thing useable. These are graphics that were included in/with Print Artist and Print Explosion Deluxe apps. Free is good, but I'm willing to shell out some bucks to be able to convert these graphics. BTW Graphic Converter can't handle it. I've googled the subject, but I don't seem to find what I'm looking for. Any suggestions?
>
> John Engberg
>

Sat Apr 27, 2013 7:01 pm (PDT) . Posted by:

"Mr. Charles D. Boozer Sr." jazzman_mac

> I use a Time Capsule along with a modem from Comcast. When I installed the Comcast modem/router, Apple support suggested that I call Comcast to have them disable the wifi signal in their unit to minimize the possibility of interference. Since I did that, I'm enjoying download speeds in excess of 50Mbps. The Time Machine backups are seamless.
>
> On Apr 25, 2013, at 12:38 AM, Charles <charlesdb@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I'm considering a Time Capsule for my Time Machine backups. I already have a wi-fi router from Comcast that handle my Internet access, my question is, once I setup the Time Capule for my Time Machine backup and and I switch over to my wi-fi connction for Internet access does the wi-fi from the Time Capsule still keep the connection active to do the backup. Right now, I am using a USB drive for my Time Machine backups, I have too many devices on my USB hup. So, I figures that will relieve the congestion. Hopefully, I am making my clear. My Mac is a 2012 Mac Mini i7 2.6g using 10.8.3 ML.
> >
> >

Thank you, but I did not want to replace the Comcast, wi-fi, I was hoping there was a way I could get them both on the same time. I just gave up, gonna get me a Firewire 800 drive for Time Machine.

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:58 pm (PDT) . Posted by:

"Jane Klorer" janelily11

First of all I will make a sincere effort to stay focused and on one issue! The most important thing is that the people at Apple are very sincere and try very hard to help with real problems!
Ever since the last screen share lost many photos from Aperture and we were screen sharing iPhoto, the senior advisors have not used that tool! Bottom line is that immediately after installing the Aperture update recently , Aperture crashed for the first time since probably August 2012! The latest work was on iPhoto and the senior advisor said he will call me back on Monday! It detected inconsistencies as it very often does, so we did the repair and did a rebuild that went much faster than the Advisor thought it would! It was riddled with beach balls and when I attempted to send one photo using Safari to open up FB and double clicking on the photo as instructed safari crashed!

Must say that there is a lot more going on here than just the iMac?? Now my Direct TV through Verizon is messing up any cordless phone connection! The cordless phones say they are in use when the TV is on and it is impossible to use the phones and one can hear the audio portion of Direct TV! This happened several years ago when we had a tornado and very severe weather out here! Never since or before that! Verizon said,"Drop the direct TV NOW" !! Trouble is that out here without either Charter cable or Verizon Direct TV the TV service is shall I say like a blizzard! SNOW!

Many of you seem to be very savvy with telecommunications! Thus my question ," Does anyone know what would cause this"? Verizon is sending a new router and we shall see if that helps the connection issues and crashes!?? Jane Klorer

Sun Apr 28, 2013 5:22 am (PDT) . Posted by:

mstupinski

OK, this is admittedly a question related to Windows, but it's Windows 7 running on an iMac via Parallels.

I have Photoshop CS5 on the iMac and have a need to apply a filter to some images. The Photoshop filter I need is only available for Windows. No problem, I thought, so I downloaded the plug-in but then I realized that to run it I need to have Photoshop (or equivalent) running under Windows also, and Photoshop CS5 is Mac-only.

I dug up an old (v1.01) version of Photoshop Elements which can be installed under MacOS or Windows and installed it under Windows 7.

Here's the problem: On the Mac side you just drag plugins to the "Plug-Ins"; folder, and they appear under the appropriate tab in the application. I can find no place to put the plug-in to use it in Essentials. Can anyone here advise me on how to get the plug-in installed and working?

Thanks,
..................Mike

We are making changes based on your feedback, Thank you !
The Yahoo! Groups Product Blog
GROUP FOOTER MESSAGE