4/26/2013

[macsupport] Digest Number 9511

6 New Messages

Digest #9511
1a
Re: Case for my MacBook Pro 17" Any favorites? by "Charles Carroll" charlesmarkcarroll
1b
1c
1d
Re: Case for my MacBook Pro 17" Any favorites? by "Randy B. Singer" randybrucesinger
1e
Re: Case for my MacBook Pro 17" Any favorites? by "Charles Carroll" charlesmarkcarroll

Messages

Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:54 pm (PDT) . Posted by:

"Charles Carroll" charlesmarkcarroll

Thanks I will look at them too Tim!

On Thu, Apr 25, 2013 at 8:50 PM, Tim O'Donoghue <tjod@runbox.com> wrote:

> **
>
>
> I've had good luck with a bag made locally here in Seattle:
> http://www.brenthaven.com/. It's about 16 years old and has taken a
> beating with little or no noticeable wear. The one I have is not
> specific to Macs, but could easily accommodate one with accessories.
>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:55 pm (PDT) . Posted by:

"David Brostoff" dcbrostoff

On Apr 25, 2013, at 17:06 , Charles Carroll <911@learnasp.com> wrote:

> I have a MacBook Pro Retina and I want something to carry it in with
> plenty of room for other goodies: magazines, maybe some puches and
> pockets for cables, phone, Kindles, iPad.
>
> Do any of you have a favorite case (I don't like backpacks i prefer
> more briefcase style but I might be swayed) that is tough and fits the
> MacBook well with room for more stuff I always have a lot of stuff to
> carry on my 1.5 hour commute on train and subway.

Do you perhaps mean a Retina 15" or a pre-Retina 17"? As far as I know the 17" models were dropped when the Retina line came out.

David

Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:27 pm (PDT) . Posted by:

"David Brostoff" dcbrostoff

On Apr 25, 2013, at 20:55 , David Brostoff <DAVBRO@EARTHLINK.NET> wrote:

> On Apr 25, 2013, at 17:06 , Charles Carroll <911@learnasp.com> wrote:
>
>> I have a MacBook Pro Retina and I want something to carry it in with
>> plenty of room for other goodies: magazines, maybe some puches and
>> pockets for cables, phone, Kindles, iPad.
>>
>> Do any of you have a favorite case (I don't like backpacks i prefer
>> more briefcase style but I might be swayed) that is tough and fits the
>> MacBook well with room for more stuff I always have a lot of stuff to
>> carry on my 1.5 hour commute on train and subway.
>
> Do you perhaps mean a Retina 15" or a pre-Retina 17"? As far as I know the 17" models were dropped when the Retina line came out.

I should have added that in any event, I highly recommend Brenthaven <http://www.brenthaven.com/>, as someone else in this thread did. Their bags are very well designed and nearly indestructible. They have lots of pouches and other storage areas, and their handles--a crucial factor--are the most comfortable I have tried. (Of course a wheeled case would be even more comfortable.)

My current Brenthaven briefcase-style bag, which is no longer offered, was made for a 15" MacBook Pro, but I have managed to stuff a 17" into it with no problem for several years. (I think this is the current replacement <http://www.brenthaven.com/broadmore/messenger-bag>.) The only drawback is that the 17" Macbook Pro is relatively heavy to lug around, and even more so when you fill the bag with other gear. Also, my particular bag, which was the largest they made at the time, doesn't quite fit under some airplane aisle seats, so you have to put it in the overhead bin or talk one of the middle- or window-seat passengers into letting you put it under the seat in front of them. This has been only mildly inconvenient for me though.

David

Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:11 pm (PDT) . Posted by:

"Randy B. Singer" randybrucesinger


On Apr 25, 2013, at 5:06 PM, Charles Carroll wrote:

> I have a MacBook Pro Retina and I want something to carry it in with
> plenty of room for other goodies

Here are some to have a look at:

Empire Builder
http://www.tombihn.com/PROD/TB0730.html

SportFolio Deluxe
http://www.marware.com/sportfolio-deluxe-black-for-macbook-air?sc=65&category=22960

Matias Laptop Armor
http://matias.ca/laptoparmor/index.php
Passes the "10 foot fall onto concrete test."

Tom Bihn Checkpoint Flyer. Awesome and a breeze through TSA.
http://www.tombihn.com/page/001/PROD/TBP/TB1701

___________________________________________
Randy B. Singer
Co-author of The Macintosh Bible (4th, 5th, and 6th editions)

Macintosh OS X Routine Maintenance
http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html
___________________________________________

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:33 am (PDT) . Posted by:

"Charles Carroll" charlesmarkcarroll

Thank you everyone. I will report back Monday morning with my final
candidate yeah I probably have a 15" MacBook Retina Pro. I will report back
on model number and what case I am debating between with your folks
excellent advise.

I may not report back about case research this weekend I am clearing out a
HUGE basement into two 10 x 30 ft storage bins and scrubbing a concrete
floor with a hose and huge broom and the floor is dusty, dirty and damp.
The basement floor has not been scrubbed since 1946 and past attempts to
sweep or wet dry vac it even with sweeping compound for a few hours leaves
me coughing for days even if done with a mask. So that big project will
take up most of my weekend then I can worry about Mac case Sunday night and
Monday night.

Your inputs will give me a huge headstart. Very useful and thoughtful
links! Thannnnnks and send any more anyone else thinks of.

On Friday, April 26, 2013, Randy B. Singer wrote:

> **
>
>
>
> On Apr 25, 2013, at 5:06 PM, Charles Carroll wrote:
>
> > I have a MacBook Pro Retina and I want something to carry it in with
> > plenty of room for other goodies
>
> Here are some to have a look at:
>
> Empire Builder
> http://www.tombihn.com/PROD/TB0730.html
>
> SportFolio Deluxe
>
> http://www.marware.com/sportfolio-deluxe-black-for-macbook-air?sc=65&category=22960
>
> Matias Laptop Armor
> http://matias.ca/laptoparmor/index.php
> Passes the "10 foot fall onto concrete test."
>
> Tom Bihn Checkpoint Flyer. Awesome and a breeze through TSA.
> http://www.tombihn.com/page/001/PROD/TBP/TB1701
>
> ___________________________________________
> Randy B. Singer
> Co-author of The Macintosh Bible (4th, 5th, and 6th editions)
>
> Macintosh OS X Routine Maintenance
> http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html
> ___________________________________________
>
> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>
>
>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:16 am (PDT) . Posted by:

"Donna Ells" dellis551

Hi! I found the problem that was causing my 27" iMac's sleep mode to delay.
The original problem was one which occurred overnight, and the sleep mode
took about 40 seconds to complete, while the shut down worked as it should.

Eventually, I found the problem here:

Home>Library>Prefs>com.apple.systemuiserver.plist

I deleted that plist

restarted

The sleep problem has not occured for the past two weeks since discovering
this.
So it took me 3 months to find, but I eventually did discover it. Perhaps
others with a similar problem might be interested.

Persistently,
Donna

From: Donna Ells <dellis70@tampabay.rr.com>
Reply-To: Mac Support Central <macsupportcentral@yahoogroups.com>
Date: Saturday, December 29, 2012 5:23 PM
To: Mac Support Central <macsupportcentral@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [macsupport] new approach to question about glitch

>
>
>
>
>
> Hi ­ I wrote some time back about a new sleep issue on 27" iMac.
>
> I've now determined it is NOT a hardware issue, and wondering if it is a
> plist file or preferences and hoping someone might give me a clue.
>
> Problem: X.6.8 iMac takes 30-40 seconds to go to sleep. Something is causing
> it to "work" before it can sleep. Sometimes it wakes on its own, but goes
> back to sleep after the 15 minutes automatic setting.
>
> steps taken so far:
>
> phoned apple care who advised me it is likely a logic board and I should
> take it to the genius bar.
>
> HOWEVER
>
> I have an external HD. Half partitioned for TM, and half is a clone. When
> ext HD is unplugged, and no apps are running, the iMac still takes a long
> time to go to sleep.
>
> My husband has an identical iMac (but his is 21.5"). His iMac sleeps as it
> should. I put my external HD on my husband's iMac, and booted up.
>
> Using my external drive, the sleep issue still occurs, even on his iMac.
>
> Therefore, it cannot be hardware, right? It has to be a prefs or plist or
> something like that, right?
>
> Can anyone offer other suggestions PLEASE?
>
> Thank you,
> Donna
>
>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

GROUP FOOTER MESSAGE