7/13/2012

[macsupport] Digest Number 8994

15 New Messages

Digest #8994
1a
Re: I just plugged in my "new" Mac! by "Barry Austern" barryaus
1b
Re: I just plugged in my "new" Mac! by "Michael P. Stupinski" mstupinski
1d
1e
Re: I just plugged in my "new" Mac! by "Barry Austern" barryaus
2a
Re: SSD HELP by "Jim Saklad" jimdoc01
2b
Re: SSD HELP by "Bob Cook" cookrd1
2c
Re: SSD HELP by "Barry Austern" barryaus
2d
Re: SSD HELP by "Bob Cook" cookrd1
3a
3b
Re: An Even Stupider Mistake by "Jim Saklad" jimdoc01
3c
3d
Re: An Even Stupider Mistake by "HAL9000" jrswebhome
3e
3f
Re: An Even Stupider Mistake by "Otto Nikolaus" nikyzf

Messages

Thu Jul 12, 2012 5:06 pm (PDT) . Posted by:

"Barry Austern" barryaus

At 6:39 PM -0500 7/12/12, OBrien wrote:

>
>
>On Thu, 12 Jul 2012 23:24:23 -0000, cnltnn wrote:
>> I have more questions about transferring files.
>
>It's been so long ago that I last transferred files from one Mac to
>another that I don't remember the details beyond "target" for the
>Firewire connection. I seem to recall that I could transfer
>individual files, but I'm just not sure. I think, with an Ethernet
>network set-up the the connected Macs appear on the Desktop like HDs.

Set up the machine in target disk mode by holding down the T-key on
boot up. It will then appear as an external hard drive on the other
machine's desktop. Since it is simply a hard drive (although the
world's most expensive hard drive) you can treat it as you would any
other external hard drive, and drag files to and from it.
--
Barry Austern
barryaus@fuse.net

Thu Jul 12, 2012 5:10 pm (PDT) . Posted by:

"Michael P. Stupinski" mstupinski

I think the difference here may be that although a FireWire connection was used in both cases, in one case a 'Target' mode process was used, while in the other case Migration Assistant was used. As I recall, in Target mode the source disk does appear and individual files may be transferred. I don't thinking Migration Assistant allows picking files from the source disk.

..........Mike

On Jul 12, 2012, at 7:39 PM, OBrien <bco@hiwaay.net> wrote:

> On Thu, 12 Jul 2012 23:24:23 -0000, cnltnn wrote:
>> I have more questions about transferring files.
>
> It's been so long ago that I last transferred files from one Mac to another that I don't remember the details beyond "target" for the Firewire connection. I seem to recall that I could transfer individual files, but I'm just not sure. I think, with an Ethernet network set-up the the connected Macs appear on the Desktop like HDs.
>
>
> . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
>
> O'Brien ––– –... .-. .. . -.
>
> ------------------------------------
>
> Group FAQ:
> <http://www.macsupportcentral.com/policies/>
>
> Yahoo! Groups Links
>
>
>

Thu Jul 12, 2012 5:31 pm (PDT) . Posted by:

"cnltnn" cnltnn

Ok, I think I understand so far. I think I can figure out move simple music and document files.

My biggest 2 question concern applications:
How do I get all my apps from old iTunes to new Mac's iTunes?

If I just drag an old application over will there be 2 of the same app or will the old app replace the newer version on my new Mac?

Thanks!!!!
-Carrie

--- In macsupportcentral@yahoogroups.com, "Michael P. Stupinski" <mpstupinski@...> wrote:
>
> I think the difference here may be that although a FireWire connection was used in both cases, in one case a 'Target' mode process was used, while in the other case Migration Assistant was used. As I recall, in Target mode the source disk does appear and individual files may be transferred. I don't thinking Migration Assistant allows picking files from the source disk.
>
> ..........Mike
>
>
> On Jul 12, 2012, at 7:39 PM, OBrien <bco@...> wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 12 Jul 2012 23:24:23 -0000, cnltnn wrote:
> >> I have more questions about transferring files.
> >
> > It's been so long ago that I last transferred files from one Mac to another that I don't remember the details beyond "target" for the Firewire connection. I seem to recall that I could transfer individual files, but I'm just not sure. I think, with an Ethernet network set-up the the connected Macs appear on the Desktop like HDs.
> >
> >
> > . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
> >
> > O'Brien â€"â€"â€" â€"... .-. .. . -.
> >
> > ------------------------------------
> >
> > Group FAQ:
> > <http://www.macsupportcentral.com/policies/>
> >
> > Yahoo! Groups Links
> >
> >
> >
>

Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:16 pm (PDT) . Posted by:

"OBrien" conorboru

On Thu, 12 Jul 2012 20:10:46 -0400, Michael P. Stupinski wrote:
> As I recall, in Target mode the source disk does appear and
> individual files may be transferred. I don't thinking Migration
> Assistant allows picking files from the source disk.

That makes sense.


. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

O'Brien ––– –... .-. .. . -.

Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:26 pm (PDT) . Posted by:

"Barry Austern" barryaus

At 8:10 PM -0400 7/12/12, Michael P. Stupinski wrote:

>
>
>I think the difference here may be that although a FireWire
>connection was used in both cases, in one case a 'Target' mode
>process was used, while in the other case Migration Assistant was
>used. As I recall, in Target mode the source disk does appear and
>individual files may be transferred. I don't thinking Migration
>Assistant allows picking files from the source disk.
>
>..........Mike

Exactly, but the connection is exactly the same. When you hook up the
two machines preparatory to doing Migration Assistant the one machine
does appear on the other's desktop. You can transfer a few files or
you can use Migration Assistant, which is an intelligent way of
transferring over a whole "feces-load" of files.
--
Barry Austern
barryaus@fuse.net

Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:06 pm (PDT) . Posted by:

"Jim Saklad" jimdoc01

> More info....booted up from original Leopard DVD. Disk Utility could not see SSD which is in the MBP.

Not visible at all on the left in Disk Utility?

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Jim Saklad mailto:jimdoc@me.com

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:25 pm (PDT) . Posted by:

"Bob Cook" cookrd1

Maybe a big clue....

First, I have 8GB in this late 2008 MBP.
Second, Jim, yes, nothing at all is Disk Utility or System Profiler when
booted from original Leopard DVD. And, I know the SSD is not DOA.

Here is the clue. When I purchased this MBP, Apple said it only supports 4
GB as the max RAM for my model. But OWC assured me it would handle two 4
GB sticks (for a total of 8GB), so I purchased and installed the two 4GB
sticks. And, my oldest Mac laptop ran great.

However, tonight I was Googling again for help with this and found a thread
on a Hackintosh site that warned not to install OS X initially with more
than 4 GB RAM. So, I pulled one of the memory sticks and rebooted into the
Leopard install DVD. I got real excited since I could now see my SSD!
However, there still wasn't a drive listed to install to. So, tomorrow I
will dig up the original 2GB or the 4 GB RAM sticks I purchased and
reinstall them and hopefully that will solve the final piece of the puzzle.
Does any of this seem plausible?

-Bob

On Thu, Jul 12, 2012 at 8:06 PM, Jim Saklad <jimdoc@me.com> wrote:

> **
>
>
> > More info....booted up from original Leopard DVD. Disk Utility could not
> see SSD which is in the MBP.
>
> Not visible at all on the left in Disk Utility?
>
>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:36 pm (PDT) . Posted by:

"Barry Austern" barryaus

At 8:25 PM -0500 7/12/12, Bob Cook wrote:

>
>
>Maybe a big clue....
>
>First, I have 8GB in this late 2008 MBP.
>Second, Jim, yes, nothing at all is Disk Utility or System Profiler when
>booted from original Leopard DVD. And, I know the SSD is not DOA.
>
>Here is the clue. When I purchased this MBP, Apple said it only supports 4
>GB as the max RAM for my model. But OWC assured me it would handle two 4
>GB sticks (for a total of 8GB), so I purchased and installed the two 4GB
>sticks. And, my oldest Mac laptop ran great.
>
>However, tonight I was Googling again for help with this and found a thread
>on a Hackintosh site that warned not to install OS X initially with more
>than 4 GB RAM. So, I pulled one of the memory sticks and rebooted into the
>Leopard install DVD. I got real excited since I could now see my SSD!
>However, there still wasn't a drive listed to install to. So, tomorrow I
>will dig up the original 2GB or the 4 GB RAM sticks I purchased and
>reinstall them and hopefully that will solve the final piece of the puzzle.
>Does any of this seem plausible?

It does to me. The installer possibly sees this as a machine that
cannot use this software. My very, very wild guess would be that with
that memory configuration you probably could not install onto a
spinning disk in the machine either.

Do you have another machine? One solution that might be the easiest
would be to connect your SSD-equipped MBP as a target disk and use
the other machine to install onto that drive, on which it would be an
external disk. Most modern versions of OS-X are not machine specific
as older versions of the System were.
--
Barry Austern
barryaus@fuse.net

Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:53 pm (PDT) . Posted by:

"Bob Cook" cookrd1

On Thu, Jul 12, 2012 at 8:31 PM, Barry Austern <barryaus@fuse.net> wrote:

> **
>
>
>
> Do you have another machine? One solution that might be the easiest
> would be to connect your SSD-equipped MBP as a target disk and use
> the other machine to install onto that drive, on which it would be an
> external disk. Most modern versions of OS-X are not machine specific
> as older versions of the System were.
>

No, I brought this old MBP (because I wanted to upgrade it) and my iPad.
The only other computers here are a Windows PC (which I am using to write
this) and a netbook Hackintosh (USB only). I already have the Lion
installed on the SSD, courtesy of Carbon Copy Cloner. If I can figure out
how to get the old MBP to recognize the SSD, I should be home free.

BTW, the MBP boots to the 1 TB HD fine with 8 GB RAM.

Bob

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:28 pm (PDT) . Posted by:

"Eric" emanmb

I was using Lightroom on my wife's MBP and going through a recent model shoot here in Bangkok. I hit delete on an image (all images are stored on an external drive) and I got a message saying basically that the trash was not connected to that drive, do I want to delete the image immediately. I clicked OK and found another bad shot, hit delete and got the same message. This did not happen the night before while editing.
So I googled the message and got this result:
http://forums.adobe.com/message/3818886
The post stating "You need to reset the Trash. It's not an Adobe problem. I went into Terminal and entered:
sudo rm -rf"
There is a link in that post http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_7-10357452-263.html that further explains this procedure.
I said OK lets try.
Big mistake. There is a warning to be careful as one can delete one's entire drive, which I can now verify. :( I did SOMETHING wrong, made the wrong command, hit the space key, forgot to hit a space key, whatever, and a horridfied sinking feeling overcame me when I saw that the Applications folder was gone! Yep, no Time Machine backup! (bangs his head)

I put the comp to sleep and then called my wife who made some searches to find a way to get it fixed here in BKK. Getting a # I called them to make sure someone there spoke English and it turns out they only do hardware repairs. They gave me a toll free Apple # and I called them.

Turns out Applecare has ended on this machine and since we bought the machine used, we don't "own" 10.7 which was what came on the machine. (@#$@$)
I stalled at the 1700 THB fee to get help and the Apple peeps allowed me to speak to a 2nd tier support person for free. Tech support comes out of the Philippines and 2nd tier comes from Singapore.

Booting while holding down the Option key, it became obvious there was some key components (No Applications folder) missing. Since we don't "own" 10.7 and because the App folder was gone, I couldn't use the app store app to BUY the @#$@# 10.7 OS, download it and re-install.

This is where the folks maligning an OS that has no physical disk to purchase are proved to be correct. I have broadband, but we also have occasional power outages lasting a few seconds to a few minutes which will kill any download.
I cannot get for love or money a copy of the frikkin OS into my wife's comp EXCEPT to buy a copy of 10.6 and then download 10.7. Apple sells a USB stick with 10.7 on it which I could get, but in the comp's present condition with NO OS on the boot drive I worried that it wouldn't work as needed. Also it costs nearly twice as much as an OS disk. Since I don't speak a lot of Thai, I couldn't really find a copy of 10.6 locally assuming any store actually has it.

Somehow in this bare OS that is running on the MBP presently (having booted into it holding down the option key), I am able to use a reduced functionaly version of Safari and I ordered a copy of 10.6 from apple.th. Upon checking the status of the order I find that the %$# disk is being shipped from Singapore. =\ 5 more days before it gets here.

I appreciate that I still have a very basic copy of Safari to use while waiting for my 10.6 disk. All my other comp gear, intel tower, is still on the boat and won't be delivered till next week.

In the end, I still don't know how to correct the original issue I experienced in Lightroom and am loathe to try the prescribed method again.

Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:46 pm (PDT) . Posted by:

"Jim Saklad" jimdoc01

> I went into Terminal and entered:
> sudo rm -rf"
> I said OK lets try.
> Big mistake. There is a warning to be careful as one can delete one's entire drive, which I can now verify. :( I did SOMETHING wrong, made the wrong command, hit the space key, forgot to hit a space key, whatever, and a horridfied sinking feeling overcame me when I saw that the Applications folder was gone! Yep, no Time Machine backup! (bangs his head)
> .....
> This is where the folks maligning an OS that has no physical disk to purchase are proved to be correct. I have broadband, but we also have occasional power outages lasting a few seconds to a few minutes which will kill any download.

Sorry to seem harsh, but the user made a lethal dumb error (having previously made other non-lethal errors), the upshot of which was that he killed his system.

This is NOT Apple's fault.

I cannot conceive of someone doing REAL WORK (for MONEY) on a computer for which they have no backup (let alone multiple backups) and no way to repair or re-install the OS.

Or going into Terminal, particularly in SUDO mode, to execute commands in the absence of a complete understanding of what they do.

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Jim Saklad mailto:jimdoc@me.com

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:35 pm (PDT) . Posted by:

"Eric" emanmb

Oh I make no bones about it that I made a series of errors while my wife's backup drive is still on the boat. Charging ahead full of confidence won't correct user error. I managed to mess it up even though I was cutting and pasting the commands, which has never been an issue for me before.

It does illustrate a situation, albiet a self inflicted one, where having a hard copy of the OS would have had me back up and running. That's the only "fault" I found w/apple, if you can call it that. Previously I didn't care whether there was one or not.

--- In macsupportcentral@yahoogroups.com, Jim Saklad <jimdoc@...> wrote:
>
> > I went into Terminal and entered:
> > sudo rm -rf"
> > I said OK lets try.
> > Big mistake. There is a warning to be careful as one can delete one's entire drive, which I can now verify. :( I did SOMETHING wrong, made the wrong command, hit the space key, forgot to hit a space key, whatever, and a horridfied sinking feeling overcame me when I saw that the Applications folder was gone! Yep, no Time Machine backup! (bangs his head)
> > .....
> > This is where the folks maligning an OS that has no physical disk to purchase are proved to be correct. I have broadband, but we also have occasional power outages lasting a few seconds to a few minutes which will kill any download.
>
> Sorry to seem harsh, but the user made a lethal dumb error (having previously made other non-lethal errors), the upshot of which was that he killed his system.
>
> This is NOT Apple's fault.
>
> I cannot conceive of someone doing REAL WORK (for MONEY) on a computer for which they have no backup (let alone multiple backups) and no way to repair or re-install the OS.
>
> Or going into Terminal, particularly in SUDO mode, to execute commands in the absence of a complete understanding of what they do.
>
> --
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> Jim Saklad mailto:jimdoc@...
>
>
>
> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>

Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:30 am (PDT) . Posted by:

"HAL9000" jrswebhome

If I read correct you cannot buy Lion and download(reinstall), is that right? I would suggest getting a second drive. Installing whatever system on it and booting from the new drive, then recover as many files as possible. But it's just a suggestion. Others are more qualified or at least they think they are.

--- In macsupportcentral@yahoogroups.com, "Eric" <emanmb@...> wrote:
>
> I was using Lightroom on my wife's MBP and going through a recent model shoot here in Bangkok. I hit delete on an image (all images are stored on an external drive) and I got a message saying basically that the trash was not connected to that drive, do I want to delete the image immediately. I clicked OK and found another bad shot, hit delete and got the same message. This did not happen the night before while editing.
> So I googled the message and got this result:
> http://forums.adobe.com/message/3818886
> The post stating "You need to reset the Trash. It's not an Adobe problem. I went into Terminal and entered:
> sudo rm -rf"
> There is a link in that post http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_7-10357452-263.html that further explains this procedure.
> I said OK lets try.
> Big mistake. There is a warning to be careful as one can delete one's entire drive, which I can now verify. :( I did SOMETHING wrong, made the wrong command, hit the space key, forgot to hit a space key, whatever, and a horridfied sinking feeling overcame me when I saw that the Applications folder was gone! Yep, no Time Machine backup! (bangs his head)
>
> I put the comp to sleep and then called my wife who made some searches to find a way to get it fixed here in BKK. Getting a # I called them to make sure someone there spoke English and it turns out they only do hardware repairs. They gave me a toll free Apple # and I called them.
>
> Turns out Applecare has ended on this machine and since we bought the machine used, we don't "own" 10.7 which was what came on the machine. (@#$@$)
> I stalled at the 1700 THB fee to get help and the Apple peeps allowed me to speak to a 2nd tier support person for free. Tech support comes out of the Philippines and 2nd tier comes from Singapore.
>
> Booting while holding down the Option key, it became obvious there was some key components (No Applications folder) missing. Since we don't "own" 10.7 and because the App folder was gone, I couldn't use the app store app to BUY the @#$@# 10.7 OS, download it and re-install.
>
> This is where the folks maligning an OS that has no physical disk to purchase are proved to be correct. I have broadband, but we also have occasional power outages lasting a few seconds to a few minutes which will kill any download.
> I cannot get for love or money a copy of the frikkin OS into my wife's comp EXCEPT to buy a copy of 10.6 and then download 10.7. Apple sells a USB stick with 10.7 on it which I could get, but in the comp's present condition with NO OS on the boot drive I worried that it wouldn't work as needed. Also it costs nearly twice as much as an OS disk. Since I don't speak a lot of Thai, I couldn't really find a copy of 10.6 locally assuming any store actually has it.
>
> Somehow in this bare OS that is running on the MBP presently (having booted into it holding down the option key), I am able to use a reduced functionaly version of Safari and I ordered a copy of 10.6 from apple.th. Upon checking the status of the order I find that the %$# disk is being shipped from Singapore. =\ 5 more days before it gets here.
>
> I appreciate that I still have a very basic copy of Safari to use while waiting for my 10.6 disk. All my other comp gear, intel tower, is still on the boat and won't be delivered till next week.
>
> In the end, I still don't know how to correct the original issue I experienced in Lightroom and am loathe to try the prescribed method again.
>

Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:43 am (PDT) . Posted by:

"Eric" emanmb

Thanks HAL but since all the apps on the boot drive got erased, that included the app store app. My wife had register the comp when purchased & I did not know the password (nor did she) so I could purchase it.
At the end of my conversation w/Apple I asked, "Is there a way I can give you money over the phone so you can allow me to download 10.7" and the answer was no. It was not technologically possible in my scenario that I created. Hence my newly aquired agreement with those who don't like a disk-less OS. There are plenty of Apple retailers here in Bangkok but they don't have any OS disks. And if all your other drives are on a boat, plus the password holder is very busy at her job at an ad agency and doesn't remember it, you're just hosed.

Basically I'm just warning folks to be really careful when monkeying around with the terminal otherwise you can hose your system just like I did. I thought I was being careful and accurate and obviously did something wrong.

My disk is at the DHL office out by the airport now, but by the time I navigate there it will be closed, plus the language barrier gets to be an issue at times here so I have to wait till monday.

Apologies for any mispellings as there's no spell checker in this version of Safari or the "OS" that it's running under. It is pretty amazing that even though I've done a low level reformat of the boot drive, there's enough of a system there to do emergency work...I'm glad I can still surf at least!

--- In macsupportcentral@yahoogroups.com, "HAL9000" <jrswebhome@...> wrote:
>
> If I read correct you cannot buy Lion and download(reinstall), is that right? I would suggest getting a second drive. Installing whatever system on it and booting from the new drive, then recover as many files as possible. But it's just a suggestion. Others are more qualified or at least they think they are.
>

Fri Jul 13, 2012 3:59 am (PDT) . Posted by:

"Otto Nikolaus" nikyzf

I thought that if you buy and download 10.7, you can copy the download
somewhere safe, or even create a bootable volume from it, as long as you do
this *before* installing it (which deletes the download on completion).

Otto

On 13 July 2012 09:29, HAL9000 <jrswebhome@yahoo.com> wrote:

> If I read correct you cannot buy Lion and download(reinstall), is that
> right? I would suggest getting a second drive. Installing whatever system
> on it and booting from the new drive, then recover as many files as
> possible. But it's just a suggestion. Others are more qualified or at least
> they think they are.
>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

GROUP FOOTER MESSAGE