7/15/2012

[macsupport] Digest Number 9002

4 New Messages

Digest #9002
1b
Re: With SSD and RAID0 LR4 opens by "Doug Yelmen" dougyelmen
2a
Re: Excel read-only question by "John Mills" jsm5320432
3
Mac -> iPad without wifi? by "Carol" were_koala

Messages

Sun Jul 15, 2012 5:05 am (PDT) . Posted by:

"LouisD" ldina

Glad it is working well, Doug. SSD & RAID-0 seem to make a nice difference with LightRoom. The acid test with LR4 is how quickly images respond in the develop module, smooth slider operation, etc. If that is snappy and responsive, you've got it licked!

Lou

--- In macsupportcentral@yahoogroups.com, Doug Yelmen <dougyelmen@...> wrote:
>
> I had to make some changes in my daisy chain of Quad externals, but now with (SSD) and OWC's RAID0 (Performance),
> LR4 opens in a blink of an eye. Thanks, Lou, and the young lady who first mentioned it.
> now, all i got to do is get out there with my Canon 5D Mark II (bought on impulse, but what a fine piece of technology it is)
> and do shooting.
> After getting my iMac back from Apple, there is a couple of spots i can't remove, and i cannot drag my folders to my old Son 19" CRT
> any more. so, back to Apple. such a hardship. ha. especially since it is in Santa Barbara, and i love that city.
>
> but, my next computer? a Mac Pro. maybe in 2 years. new ones due out in 2013, i think. so, maybe in 2015?
> or maybe i won't wait that long.
>
> doug
>
> Doug Yelmen
> dougyelmen@...
>
>
> * "If you don't like something, change it. If you can't change it,
> change your attitude." ~Maya Angelou
>
>
>
> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>

Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:00 am (PDT) . Posted by:

"Doug Yelmen" dougyelmen

well, it opens fast!
the sliders are smooth and they too are fast.
i do believe i've got it licked.
doug
Doug Yelmen
dougyelmen@earthlink.net

http://www.flickr.com/photos/riverrat68/

http://www.postmodernart.com/

On Jul 15, 2012, at 5:04 AM, LouisD wrote:

> Glad it is working well, Doug. SSD & RAID-0 seem to make a nice difference with LightRoom. The acid test with LR4 is how quickly images respond in the develop module, smooth slider operation, etc. If that is snappy and responsive, you've got it licked!
>
> Lou
>
> --- In macsupportcentral@yahoogroups.com, Doug Yelmen <dougyelmen@...> wrote:
>>
>> I had to make some changes in my daisy chain of Quad externals, but now with (SSD) and OWC's RAID0 (Performance),
>> LR4 opens in a blink of an eye. Thanks, Lou, and the young lady who first mentioned it.
>> now, all i got to do is get out there with my Canon 5D Mark II (bought on impulse, but what a fine piece of technology it is)
>> and do shooting.
>> After getting my iMac back from Apple, there is a couple of spots i can't remove, and i cannot drag my folders to my old Son 19" CRT
>> any more. so, back to Apple. such a hardship. ha. especially since it is in Santa Barbara, and i love that city.
>>
>> but, my next computer? a Mac Pro. maybe in 2 years. new ones due out in 2013, i think. so, maybe in 2015?
>> or maybe i won't wait that long.
>>
>> doug
>>
>> Doug Yelmen
>> dougyelmen@...
>>
>>
>> * "If you don't like something, change it. If you can't change it,
>> change your attitude." ~Maya Angelou
>>
>>
>>
>> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>>
>
>
>
>
> ------------------------------------
>
> Group FAQ:
> <http://www.macsupportcentral.com/policies/>
>
> Yahoo! Groups Links
>
>
>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:02 am (PDT) . Posted by:

"John Mills" jsm5320432

I use Office 2004 on the same computer you do and have had the same problem but, it was with files people sent me (they sent windows version) and I highlighted the specific file with finder (not when it was open in excel) and then went into the "get info" for the file and changed the permissions there to allow read-write.

Unfortunately, far too often the standard MS "help" solution is to uninstall Office and reinstall. Oh, and then you  get to reload all the updates. Great way to spend a summer's day.

I use "Numbers" whenever possible to avoid these sort of problems.

John

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:14 am (PDT) . Posted by:

"Carol" were_koala

I don't have adequate wifi at home, which is a problem for later.

Right now, I'd like to transfer some music from my MacBookPro to my iPad. Can I do this using the iPad-to-USB cable that is part of the iPad charger? If so, how?

adTHANKSvance!
Carol B.

GROUP FOOTER MESSAGE