7/23/2012

[macsupport] Digest Number 9018

Mac Support Central

4 New Messages

Digest #9018
1a
Re: Mac Book Air - no SD card slot? by "Otto Nikolaus" nikyzf
2a
USB 3 options by "Jon Kreisler" jonkreisler
2b
Re: USB 3 options by "imran khan" sj.imran

Messages

Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:24 am (PDT) . Posted by:

"Otto Nikolaus" nikyzf

I have a Transcend M3 which was excellent value and does *all* cards. The
P8 looks very similar. You might want to go for a USB 3 model now though,
especially if you use HC or XC cards.

<
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Delectronics&field-keywords=transcend+p8>
or
<http://amzn.to/MCxaOS>

<
http://www.amazon.com/Transcend-Super-Multi-Card-Reader-TS-RDF8/dp/B0056TYRMW/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1343038433&sr=1-3&keywords=transcend+usb+3>
or
<http://amzn.to/QqYEuU>

I also have a very compact reader that is effectively a USB flash drive
with replaceable memory (the memory being the card). It is also a nice
holder for a spare card. These are available under various brands.
<
http://www.amazon.com/Memory-Reader-256MB-512MB-Cards/dp/B002W7U3E2/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1343038024&sr=8-6&keywords=sd+card+reader>
or
<http://amzn.to/NYmhu2>

Otto

On 23 July 2012 10:08, Michael Moloney <moloney.icloud@gmail.com> wrote:

> The Eye-FI SD card sounds pretty cool. I haven't heard of that before.
>
> Thanks for your suggestions (and everyone else).
>
> Is there any particular brand I should look for in a USB card reader?
>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:34 am (PDT) . Posted by:

"Jon Kreisler" jonkreisler

My Mac Pro (mid-2010 model) came with USB-2 and FireWire 800. Can anyone
recommend a USB-3 PCI card that works well with Macs?
TIA
Jon

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:00 am (PDT) . Posted by:

"imran khan" sj.imran

http://www.sonnettech.com/product/allegrousb3pcie.html
On Jul 23, 2012 4:34 PM, "Jon Kreisler" <jonkreisler@gmail.com> wrote:

> **
>
>
> My Mac Pro (mid-2010 model) came with USB-2 and FireWire 800. Can anyone
> recommend a USB-3 PCI card that works well with Macs?
> TIA
> Jon
>
> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>
>
>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:23 am (PDT) . Posted by:

"LouisD" ldina

Thanks, Dane.

I didn't think about that, but it makes sense. I'm pretty happy with my nightly backup strategy using SuperDuper. I'm sure there may be a rare occasion where I wished I had hourly or daily backups to choose from, but so far so good. LR database, images, music, etc, are all handled automatically with my nightly backups.

Lou

--- In macsupportcentral@yahoogroups.com, Dane Robison <macdane@...> wrote:
>
> On Jul 22, 2012, at 12:10 PM, ldina wrote:
>
> > I don't use Time Machine at all and have it turned off completely. I haven't had the courage to set up iCloud yet. So many things Apple are lacking in explanation and transparency, and I hate it when things happen without my knowing what is doing what to whom. With SuperDuper, I know what's happening, which I like.
>
> Off topic, Lou, but I just want to encourage you to stay away from Time Machine. As a Lightroom user, I'm quite sure you won't be satisfied with it, since the LR catalog becomes such a hassle. It's such a large file and changes so often that you end up either having to put up with Time Machine running constantly or tell it to ignore the LR catalog, which means you need an alternative backup plan for that anyway.
>
> Just FWIW…
>
> Dane
>

GROUP FOOTER MESSAGE