3/23/2013

[macsupport] Digest Number 9447

4 New Messages

Digest #9447
1a
Re: Dropbox by "Randy B. Singer" randybrucesinger

Messages

Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:27 pm (PDT) . Posted by:

"Randy B. Singer" randybrucesinger


On Mar 12, 2013, at 9:37 AM, Jim Saklad wrote:

> Randy:
> I have DropBox on my iPhone, iPad, and Mac. Can you recommend any encryption that has both MacOS and iOS versions, so I could encrypt a file on my Mac, put it in the DropBox, and then de-crypt it on my iPad?

Sorry it took so long to respond. I just noticed your question.

I'm told that using this service instead of Dropbox solves the security problem (attorneys love Box for this reason):

Box
https://www.box.com/

___________________________________________
Randy B. Singer
Co-author of The Macintosh Bible (4th, 5th, and 6th editions)

Macintosh OS X Routine Maintenance
http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html
___________________________________________

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:57 pm (PDT) . Posted by:

"LL_Newton" LL_Newton

I haven't seen a discussion on choosing internal drives in a while, so I'm wondering what the current thinking is. I don't want a SSD, because I want lots of space (1 TB). Is 5400 rpm just fine, or should I move up? Is there a huge tradeoff in battery life with a faster drive? Will the faster drive be too hot? Right now, I'm using the stock 500 GB internal drive that came with this machine. I've upgraded to 8GB of RAM. I use Photoshop Elements for digital scrapbooking, and do a lot of work with photos (if that makes a difference in choosing).

I know that some of you have strong feelings on brands to avoid, so I'm open to suggestions of brands and retailers for good reliability/service/prices.
TIA,
Lori - near Seattle

Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:45 pm (PDT) . Posted by:

"N.A. Nada"

Nancy,

Like Jim said leaving a computer on all the time has been a item for discussion for a very long time. But what is it doing when you are not using it, changes everything. If it is sleeping that is one thing, idling another, and running at full CPU capacity are all different things.

Running at full CPU capacity for long periods of time, such as running a distributed computation like SETI or Folding@Home, can create a lot of heat in your computer which creates "wear" on the components, and uses more electricity. Allowing the Mac to sleep both the display and computer, uses the least amount of electricity. Unless you are running it at full CPU capacity, "wear" is really not an issue.

Back to your original issue. What is the worst that can happen by improperly disconnecting a disk? Well, supposedly it can corrupt the data on your disk. I have yet to hear of anyone experiencing this. The next worst thing is you may lose some data that was not saved. With a Mac running 10.6 or 10.7 and above, this is not likely because of the built in auto-save in the OS. It might not apply to all external disks, though so make sure you set the preferences of each app to take care of this. Often, what happens is nothing. So what is left is having to reconnect the external drive.

I understand the inconvenience, but it is really not a problem. Look into connecting to the external drive by another method. I connect to mine through my Airport Extreme Base Station. The external drive goes to sleep, but I don't get the error message, and it will slowly awaken when I need it. I do get messages that the external drive has lost connection, but I just click ignore, and reconnect when I need it.

Personally, I have my preferences set to sleep the display at 15 minutes, and the computer at 1 hours, and Security & Privacy/ General set to require password for sleep and screen saver. But then I take my personal computer to work, where I have some very juvenal co-workers, who like to play pranks, and sometimes work around vendors or others that should not see company confidential information on my computers.

Set your Energy Saver/ sleep and whether you need to enter a password to awaken the computer as your situation needs.

Brent

On Mar 22, 2013, at 5:56 PM, Jim McGarvie wrote:

Hi Nancy,

As a matter of fact I do leave my computer turned on all the time, but that may be a matter of some controversy and I'm not necessarily recommending it.

But that isn't really relevant to this discussion. Your question involved your problem with your computer going to sleep and resulting in a disk error, which implies to me that you are leaving it on. I am just suggesting you change the power settings such that it doesn't go to sleep. It stays awake forever so long as the computer is on. That's the way I have my Macbook Pro set, although it shuts down the monitor after a certain period of time.

Hope that helps.

Best,

Jim

On Mar 22, 2013, at 3:10 PM, Nancy Willits <willitsnancy@icloud.com> wrote:

Do you mean that you leave your computer turned on all of the time? What is the best thing to do, turn it on at the beginning of the day and then turn it off when I go to bed or should I just leave it on all of the time?

On Mar 22, 2013, at 3:01 PM, Jim McGarvie <jim@mcgarvie.us> wrote:

> Don't let it go to sleep?
>
> Best,
>
> Jim
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> On Mar 22, 2013, at 11:35, Nancy Willits <willitsnancy@icloud.com> wrote:
>
>>> I have an iMac and I am using OS X Version 10.8.3. I don't usually shut down my iMac but when it goes to sleep, I get the message "The disk was not ejected properly. If possible, always eject a disk before unplugging it or turning it off.
>>
>> How can I stop this from happening? I am using this disk for Time Machine? Sp every time my iMac wakes up, it no longer recognizes that I have this external disk connected to my computer.
>>
>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

------------------------------------

Group FAQ:
<http://www.macsupportcentral.com/policies/>

Yahoo! Groups Links

Sat Mar 23, 2013 5:43 am (PDT) . Posted by:

"Otto Nikolaus" nikyzf

The default is the Download folder. The filename might be obscure so try
using List View and searching on date.

I prefer to download to Desktop. From there, I then move any I want to keep
to suitable folders and delete any I don't want. You can change the
download location in your browser's preferences.

Otto

On 23 March 2013 04:46, cmelsbakas <cmelsbakas@yahoo.com> wrote:

>
> I downloaded an emailed photo attachment to 'computer&#39; and now I
> can't find it.
>
> where did I place it, obviously in 'computer&#39;, but where is it? Can
> someone offer some
>
> suggestions? I have run out of places where to look for it. Will
> appreciate any and all
>
> suggestions.
>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

GROUP FOOTER MESSAGE