3/18/2013

[macsupport] Digest Number 9439

8 New Messages

Digest #9439
1a
Re: help with a spreadsheet function? by "Otto Nikolaus" nikyzf
1b
Re: help with a spreadsheet function? by "Hans Rijnbout" hans_rijnbout
1c
Re: help with a spreadsheet function? by "Diane and Jim" jim60wood
1d
2a
Re: ooVoo and Java Runtime by "Pat Taylor" pat412255
3a
Re: printer suggestions by "Josephine Bacon" baconandeggs_2001
4a
Installing  Adobe flash Player by "C Melsbakas" cmelsbakas
4b

Messages

Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:36 am (PDT) . Posted by:

"Otto Nikolaus" nikyzf

I'd like to know more about the modifiers, or perhaps a description of the
game.

Is the idea to replace the dice with a random function?

Otto

On 17 March 2013 10:41, Vixpix <vixpix26@hvc.rr.com> wrote:

> It sounds like this is something Excel could do,but I would like to see an
> actual example of your game to be sure.
>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:01 am (PDT) . Posted by:

"Hans Rijnbout" hans_rijnbout


On 17 mrt. 2013, at 05:00, jim60wood wrote:

> I have a game that uses dice and has a variety of modifiers to each die roll. I would like to use my MacBook Pro to simplify the process and prop up my failing memory by adding these modifiers for me. I envision using Pages '09 by inserting a table in which the first column would be a text column that simply describes the modifier. I would use Pages not Numbers because there many other things I would include in the document. The second column would list the value (1, 0, -1, etc.). The third column would be (in my ever hopeful plan) a checklist which would determine which of the modifiers is active for a given die roll. Finally, the sum of the active modifiers would be displayed at the bottom of a column.

Jim,
This is possible in a table in Pages, using the formulas available in Numbers which may be accessed from the Insert menu in Pages.
In the third column you put a zero for inactive items and a one for the active ones.
Create a fourth column with formula: product of columns 2 and 3. This column now contains the active modifiers.
Create an end row with in column 4 the formula: sum of column 4. This is your answer.
--
Hans Rijnbout
Utrecht, Netherlands

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:08 am (PDT) . Posted by:

"Diane and Jim" jim60wood

Ok, the games are historical games, imagine 4 - 8 grown men standing
around a big table moving little lead army guys around, making decisions
about them and rolling dice as they replay famous battles from throughout
history. To replace the dice with a randomizer would be apocryphal to these
guys, rolling dice is too much fun. All I want is to do is add up a series
of modifiers to some action. For instance, if I want to move a unit across
the terrain, I might have to roll the dice to see how far I get to go.
Modifiers might include the quality of my troops, quality of my leader,
nature of the terrain and various other bits. Each modifier will have a
value of -2 to 2. Some will apply to my movement and some won't. I add up
all of the applicable modifiers, roll the dice, add the modifiers to the
dice roll, and that tells me how far I can go.

Now, all I want to do is prop up my failing short term memory, and that
of many of the guys I play with.
So if I put the modifiers in a spreadsheet, with the first column being
just a text column, a description of the modifier, say "Gallant Leader" and
it's value in the next column, say +1 and a checkmark in the third column.
The next row would be "Able Leader", with a value of 0, and the third would
be "Poor Leader", -1. As we play, I would check only one of them, as my
leader can only be of one type. There may be a couple dozen of these
modifiers. I would check only those that apply to my leader, my moving
unit, and the terrain I'm moving across. The next guy to move would have a
different set checked. So the modifiers that apply are constantly changing
for each player and each of their units. God, I hope this is making sense.

So if I can just create a spreadsheet in which a check mark, or
something similar (I'm trying to avoid typing just to keep it as simple as
possible) can signal the computer to add only the applicable (checked)
modifiers and display the correct sum. Seems like it should be pretty
simple, but spreadsheets have always been a maze for me.

So what do you think? Can this be done without too much fuss? I can use
Numbers if necessary, I would like to use Pages since there is other
information I would like to include that has nothing to do with
spreadsheets. I also wondered if it could be done in Keynote. Any help
would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Jim

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:54 am (PDT) . Posted by:

"Jim Harry" jnharry

On Sun, Mar 17, 2013 at 10:08 AM, Diane and Jim <ajboggle@gmail.com> wrote:

> So what do you think? Can this be done without too much fuss? I can use
> Numbers if necessary, I would like to use Pages since there is other
> information I would like to include that has nothing to do with
> spreadsheets. I also wondered if it could be done in Keynote. Any help
> would be appreciated.
>

Absolutely! I use Excel for game tracking and reference. Can do this in
Numbers as well. In a spreadsheet that supports macros/scripting, could
put little buttons that turn it on and off for easy tapping/clicking.

I love doing these kinds of things, so if you'd like to email me off-list
with some of the information, I'd be happy to come up with something to get
you started.

Jim H.

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:42 am (PDT) . Posted by:

"Pat Taylor" pat412255

Java & Javascript are two different things.

On Mar 17, 2013, at 5:05 AM, Eric <emanmb@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I can't answer about safety other than I use Java and recently installed the latest update via Software Update.
> I had an issue w/Safari yesterday and in the process of trying to fix the issue, turned off Java to see if that would help. It didn't help, and I got this message when I tried to go to my Yahoo mail.
> http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z210/emanphoto/Screenshot2013-03-16at54951PM.png
> http://tinyurl.com/as5774a
> I've turned it back on and continue to use it.
> Eric
>
> --- In macsupportcentral@yahoogroups.com, "John" <jlblake31@...> wrote:
> >
> > I was thinking of using ooVoo as a video chat program and while downloading, it calls for Java RunRuntime and I've seen a lot of discussion about Java programs. I want to make sure I don't download something that will cause problems if I can help it.
> > Is this a problem with Mac or is it probably safe? I have one iMac with Lion and one with Mt. Lion. I hope I was clear with my question, I am not a techie, just a very old guy who loves to use the computer!
> > John
> >
>
>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:04 am (PDT) . Posted by:

"Josephine Bacon" baconandeggs_2001

I strongly advise our solution as our needs are similar. Find a really inexpensive b/w duplex laser printer and an inkjet colour printer, both networkable and hook them up to your network. We use a Samsung laser as we reckon the consumables are cheaper and a Brother inkjet for the same reason. Brother have improved by leaps and bounds over the years they are just as good as Canon or HP.

Josephine Bacon
On 16 Mar 2013, at 20:34, hecowan wrote:

> hello group,
>
> i am wondering which printers group members are happiest with. my 7
> year old canon pixma is acting up, so time for a newer machine. my
> knowledge of printers is limited.
>
> most of my printing is black and white text documents, with
> occasional color/pictures. a long-lived machine with economical ink
> costs is what i am interested. the duplex printing option is
> important. my budget is $350.00.
>
> thank you for your ideas.
> hec
>
> mac pro quad-core 2.8ghz, 16 gb ram
> os 10.6.8
>

Josephine Bacon
Tamr Translations Limited
179 Kings Cross Road
London WC1x 9BZ
Tel:+44 207 278 9490

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:02 pm (PDT) . Posted by:

"C Melsbakas" cmelsbakas

 
             Seeking Advise--happens fairly often that I can't open a video, say, in an email: then I get a message to "install Adobe flash player." This time I downloaded and installed it.  Am told the installation was successful and I can't still open.  What am I doing wrong?  Using Macbook 10.6.8. Your answers will be much appreciated.  Thanks to all.  cm

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:31 pm (PDT) . Posted by:

"HAL9000" jrswebhome

Safari/Preferences/Security/Enable Javascript

--- In macsupportcentral@yahoogroups.com, C Melsbakas <cmelsbakas@...> wrote:
>
> �
> � � � � � � �Seeking Advise--happens fairly often that I can't open a video, say, in an email: then I get a message to "install Adobe flash player." This time I downloaded and installed it. �Am told the installation was successful and I can't still open. �What am I doing wrong? �Using Macbook 10.6.8. Your answers will be much appreciated. �Thanks to all. �cm
>
> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>

GROUP FOOTER MESSAGE