3/16/2013

[the_ipod_group] Digest Number 1362

1 New Message

Digest #1362
1
Click Wheel Menu Button Question by "kingmike2you" kingmike2you

Message

Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:06 am (PDT) . Posted by:

"kingmike2you" kingmike2you

I have an 80 gig, I believe 6th Generation Classic Ipod. The menu button is no longer working. I've tried doing the reset moving the hold button to off then back to on, then holding the menu and select button at the same time, but nothing happens, I cannot get the Apple Screen to show.

My question is this. Aren't there four switches mounted to the Mother Board below the Click Wheel, and could the menu switch have failed? When I've done internet searches, a few suggest that replacement of the click wheel will fix my problem, but I suspect that it is the switch below the click wheel which has failed.

I should mention that I replaced the click wheel about a year ago when I wanted to change from a black ipod to a white. Also, All other functions of the click wheel are working, it is only the menu function which is not.

Finally, I should mention that I received this Ipod used from my son, and the click wheel has always had a lot of slop below it. It has never felt tight like a new ipod, which again seems to me that the switches below, especially the Menu Switch, may be damaged from someone pressing too hard.

Are replacement switches available. I have excellent soldering skills and have even done surface mount work.

I would appreciate a reply from someone who is a Technician, or really know what they are talking about rather than someone just guessing.

Many thanks for any help you can give me,

Michael