3/13/2013

[macsupport] Digest Number 9432

9 New Messages

Digest #9432
1a
Re: Dropbox by "hester" drhester_06107
2a
Re: iTunes on PC and iMac by "Carol Corley" floridabouvs
2b
Re: iTunes on PC and iMac by "Pat Taylor" pat412255
2c
Re: iTunes on PC and iMac by "Jim Saklad" jimdoc01
3
Fwd: [macsupport] Dropbox by "Jim Saklad" jimdoc01
5a
Re: Blu-Ray Burners by "HAL9000" jrswebhome
6a
Better than Dropbox by "Eric" emanmb
6b
Re: Better than Dropbox by "Otto Nikolaus" nikyzf

Messages

Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:36 pm (PDT) . Posted by:

"hester" drhester_06107

Thanks Randy,

As I mentioned in one of my emails, I am using it simply to access mp3 files that my Chinese instructor has put there for student use. I'm ultra cautious about the internet. Thanks again.

hester

--- In macsupportcentral@yahoogroups.com, "Randy B. Singer" <randy@...> wrote:
>
>
> On Mar 11, 2013, at 11:31 AM, hester wrote:
>
> > Anyone know anything about Dropbox? Is it safe to download and install?
>
> It's safe to download and install, but I would be careful what I stored there. If you have sensitive files, I'd encrypt them before uploading them to Dropbox:
>
> http://venturebeat.com/2012/08/01/dropbox-has-become-problem-child-of-cloud-security/
>
> http://archive.hack.lu/2012/Dropbox%20security.pdf
>
> ___________________________________________
> Randy B. Singer
> Co-author of The Macintosh Bible (4th, 5th, and 6th editions)
>
> Macintosh OS X Routine Maintenance
> http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html
> ___________________________________________
>
>
>
>
>
> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>

Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:54 pm (PDT) . Posted by:

"Carol Corley" floridabouvs

Yes, the PC is to go away.
Interesting,that all my Apps appear on oth the PC and iMac, as do my books. Just not music.And I sync in the Cloud.
Probably I will need to contact AppleCare.
Thanks.
Carol

Brent wrote:
If the PC is to eventually go away, then Carol needs to look at moving the iTunes library over to the iMac.

I don't have a specific suggestion of how to do that, but Carol should be researching how to move the library, not sharing. She will have to look into an external disc drive, if she plans to import audio from CDs. And last but not least. She will need to change the syncing from the PC to the Mac, which means she may have to reformat the iPads and the iPhone also. A little planning will need to be done there so as not to loose things like photos, voice memos, call logs, game scores, if those things are important and present.

Sent from my iPad 3

Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:58 pm (PDT) . Posted by:

"Pat Taylor" pat412255

You can use Home Sharing to drag selections from one library to the other as long as they are both using the same Apple ID.

Sent from my iPad...

On Mar 12, 2013, at 4:16 PM, "N.A. Nada" <whodo678@comcast.net> wrote:

> Sharing only allows access to the iTunes library on the computer it is stored on to be accessed by others. If the PC is to eventually go away, then Carol needs to look at moving the iTunes library over to the iMac.
>
> I don't have a specific suggestion of how to do that, but Carol should be researching how to move the library, not sharing. She will have to look into an external disc drive, if she plans to import audio from CDs. And last but not least. She will need to change the syncing from the PC to the Mac, which means she may have to reformat the iPads and the iPhone also. A little planning will need to be done there so as not to loose things like photos, voice memos, call logs, game scores, if those things are important and present.
>
> Brent
>
> On Mar 12, 2013, at 2:55 PM, Pat Taylor wrote:
>
> I use the Home Sharing feature in iTunes. Here's some info from Apple showing how to do it:
>
> http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4527
>
> Sent from my iPad...
>
> On Mar 12, 2013, at 2:38 PM, Carol <floridabouvs@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I had iTunes on my PC, and have an iPhone 5 and 2 iPads. I back up through the Cloud.
> > Then I bought my iMac.
> > However, the music in my iTunes account is not on both computers -- only those tunes that I bought subsequent to acquiring the iMac is on iTunes in the iMac.
> > All my music is complete on my iPhone 5 and one iPad -- I choose not to keep music on the other iPad, but that is not an issue here.
> > Occasionally I will download a CD to iTunes via my PC (I don't have a disk drive on the iMac.) And then I plug my iPhone into the PC and get the music on it.
> >
> > Question: What do I need to do so that the iMac has everything that the PC does? Eventually I will be phasing out the PC.
> >
> > Thanks.
> >
> > Carol
> >
> >
>
> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>
> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>
>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:01 pm (PDT) . Posted by:

"Jim Saklad" jimdoc01

>> I had iTunes on my PC, and have an iPhone 5 and 2 iPads. I back up through the Cloud.
>> Then I bought my iMac.
>> However, the music in my iTunes account is not on both computers -- only those tunes that I bought subsequent to acquiring the iMac is on iTunes in the iMac.
>> All my music is complete on my iPhone 5 and one iPad -- I choose not to keep music on the other iPad, but that is not an issue here.
>>
>> Question: What do I need to do so that the iMac has everything that the PC does? Eventually I will be phasing out the PC.
>

> I use the Home Sharing feature in iTunes.

This is definitely the way to go. It is one of the things Home Sharing was designed for.

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:00 pm (PDT) . Posted by:

"Jim Saklad" jimdoc01

>> The 1Password people strongly recommend using Dropbox for sync between multiple devices. They say it is possible to us iCloud for the sync but it is very difficult and not easy to do.
>
> Isn't it possible to synch via 1Password iTunes and avoid the cloud all together. My password are just what I would not want in the cloud. I'm not sure what 1Password file to drag to its preferences in iTunes?

1Password encryps what it puts in Dropbox, and de-crypts it only when used by the other device.

Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:02 pm (PDT) . Posted by:

"Jim Saklad" jimdoc01

> Sharing only allows access to the iTunes library on the computer it is stored on to be accessed by others. If the PC is to eventually go away, then Carol needs to look at moving the iTunes library over to the iMac.

And one of the things you can do from within iTunes, after you have set up Home Sharing, is *COPY* selected files between the sharing computers....

Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:07 pm (PDT) . Posted by:

"HAL9000" jrswebhome

Purchased an external DVD tray burner at OWC. Works beautifully allowing me to load any movie DVD, and rip w Handbrake. I get the entire movie ripped (unlike 1/4 to 1/2 in the Apple slot load drive on the iMac) and there are no scratched DVD movies any longer.

I had heard slot loading Apple iMac drives were bad, but had to find out for myself.

--- In macsupportcentral@yahoogroups.com, "HAL9000" <jrswebhome@...> wrote:
>
> Is anyone burning data on Blu-Ray disks using a Blu-Ray burner in OSX?
> Or is it overkill?
>

Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:04 am (PDT) . Posted by:

"Eric" emanmb

My 2 preferred 'clouds&#39; ATM are cx.com with 10GB of storage free, and medifire.com with 50GB of storage free.
I don't use or need (yet) any secure-storage-password-thingies so I can't comment on either's abilities in that regard, but my files are there when I want to share them. Typically these are large files such as a powerpoint presentation of my portfolio, full resolution photos for stock agencies etc.
e

--- In macsupportcentral@yahoogroups.com, "hester" <dhreik@...> wrote:
>
> Anyone know anything about Dropbox? Is it safe to download and install?
>
> Thank you in advance.
>
> hester
>

Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:31 am (PDT) . Posted by:

"Otto Nikolaus" nikyzf

For anyone following those up, I'm sure the 2nd one should be MediaFire.
<http://www.mediafire.com/>

CX.com is new to me. It seems more for business users and has no free
option (apart from a 30-day trial).

Otto

On 13 March 2013 10:04, Eric <emanmb@yahoo.com> wrote:

> My 2 preferred 'clouds&#39; ATM are cx.com with 10GB of storage free, and
> medifire.com with 50GB of storage free.
> I don't use or need (yet) any secure-storage-password-thingies so I can't
> comment on either's abilities in that regard, but my files are there when I
> want to share them. Typically these are large files such as a powerpoint
> presentation of my portfolio, full resolution photos for stock agencies etc.
> e
>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

GROUP FOOTER MESSAGE