3/14/2013

[macsupport] Digest Number 9433

14 New Messages

Digest #9433
1a
Re: Better than Dropbox by "Eric" emanmb
2a
dmg downloads are multiplying by "caribsea@bellsouth.net" caribsea@bellsouth.net
2b
Re: dmg downloads are multiplying by "Forrest Leedy" forrkazu
2c
Re: dmg downloads are multiplying by "Otto Nikolaus" nikyzf
2d
3a
Re: iTunes on PC and iMac by "Carol Corley" floridabouvs
4a
Want to delete Boot Camp by "Denton" wb0zur
4b
Re: Want to delete Boot Camp by "ed-reiff" ed-reiff
5
Google Reader Replacement? by "Michel Munger" mmungermtl
6a
Cover Flow is back :) by "HAL9000" jrswebhome
6b
Re: Cover Flow is back :) by "Yahoo" tammytml
7a
Apps by "Ken" ken.klein
7b
Re: Apps by "N.A. Nada"
7c
Re: Apps by "T Hopkins" todhop

Messages

Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:18 am (PDT) . Posted by:

"Eric" emanmb

There's a big whoops!
Thanks for catching that. :)
e

--- In macsupportcentral@yahoogroups.com, Otto Nikolaus <otto.nikolaus@...> wrote:
>
> For anyone following those up, I'm sure the 2nd one should be MediaFire.
> <http://www.mediafire.com/>

Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:42 am (PDT) . Posted by:

"caribsea@bellsouth.net" caribsea@bellsouth.net

While looking for a file, I went into my downloads folder and saw that app downloads had been multiplying behind my back and I'm wondering what I've set to make that happen. File names go from Copy1 to Copy 29. I'm in the process of deleting them but would like to know why it happened. Any ideas?

Willi
iMac mid-2010
iPad2

Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:18 am (PDT) . Posted by:

"Forrest Leedy" forrkazu

The only way that I know of that would cause multiple copies of a download is if you did it yourself because you could not find the initial download. However, 29 copies is a bit much. Was this only one app or several apps? Was it over a period of time that these copies where made? There is nothing in the OS that I know of that would create spontaneous copies on its own.

Forrest

On Mar 13, 2013, at 10:42 AM, "caribsea@bellsouth.netcaribsea@bellsouth.net> wrote:

> While looking for a file, I went into my downloads folder and saw that app downloads had been multiplying behind my back and I'm wondering what I've set to make that happen. File names go from Copy1 to Copy 29. I'm in the process of deleting them but would like to know why it happened. Any ideas?
>
> Willi
> iMac mid-2010
> iPad2

Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:20 am (PDT) . Posted by:

"Otto Nikolaus" nikyzf

I would check all your browser tabs and windows. One of those could be
"stuck" on a download URL. If so, close that tab/window (command w).

Otto

On 13 March 2013 14:42, caribsea@bellsouth.net <caribsea@bellsouth.net>wrote:

> While looking for a file, I went into my downloads folder and saw that app
> downloads had been multiplying behind my back and I'm wondering what I've
> set to make that happen. File names go from Copy1 to Copy 29. I'm in the
> process of deleting them but would like to know why it happened. Any ideas?
>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:29 am (PDT) . Posted by:

"T Hopkins" todhop

Are you sure they are the same? They may be routine downloads that simply have the same name each time. I've had this happen with certain services that give the downloaded files generic names like "calendar"; or "brochure";. Looks like I have multiple copies of the same thing, but they are actually all different and have accumulated over time.

Cheers,
tod

On Mar 13, 2013, at 10:42 AM, caribsea@bellsouth.net wrote:

> While looking for a file, I went into my downloads folder and saw that app downloads had been multiplying behind my back and I'm wondering what I've set to make that happen. File names go from Copy1 to Copy 29. I'm in the process of deleting them but would like to know why it happened. Any ideas?
>
> Willi
> iMac mid-2010
> iPad2
>
>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:08 am (PDT) . Posted by:

"Carol Corley" floridabouvs

Thanks for the suggestion to use home sharing. I'll see if I can figure it out :-)
Carol

Sent from my iPad 3

Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:47 pm (PDT) . Posted by:

"Denton" wb0zur

Hi Everybody

I want to tell my MacBook Pro it dose not have boot camp in it. It is so slow! I have a computer that has windows xp on it so that won't be any problem.

How do I do it. I am at a loss, maybe Disc Utility?

I don't know, please advise.

Denton Larson

Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:35 pm (PDT) . Posted by:

"ed-reiff" ed-reiff


https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3955314?start=0&tstart=0
Ed

--- In macsupportcentral@yahoogroups.com, "Denton" <wb0zur@...> wrote:
>
> Hi Everybody
>
> I want to tell my MacBook Pro it dose not have boot camp in it. It is so slow! I have a computer that has windows xp on it so that won't be any problem.
>
> How do I do it. I am at a loss, maybe Disc Utility?
>
> I don't know, please advise.
>
> Denton Larson
>

Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:17 pm (PDT) . Posted by:

"Michel Munger" mmungermtl

Hi everyone,

The idiots at Google decided to shut down Google Reader soon.

Do you know a replacement that is worthwhile?

(Please don't suggest Safari, there's no way I'm going to use it.)

Michel

Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:20 pm (PDT) . Posted by:

"HAL9000" jrswebhome

Reverted to iTunes 10 tonite. All these beautiful big album covers flashing before my eyes. Incredible. Sigh. Love it.

Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:42 am (PDT) . Posted by:

"Yahoo" tammytml

Yeahhhhhh!!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone

On Mar 14, 2013, at 12:20 AM, "HAL9000" <jrswebhome@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Reverted to iTunes 10 tonite. All these beautiful big album covers flashing before my eyes. Incredible. Sigh. Love it.
>
>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:23 pm (PDT) . Posted by:

"Ken" ken.klein

My IPad shows I have 5 apps that should/can be updated, but when I click on update nothing happens!

Ken Klein

Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:29 am (PDT) . Posted by:

"N.A. Nada"

Give us a little more to work on.

Do you have a good WiFi signal? Did you leave the App Store app open while it downloaded the updates?

Which iPad & iOS?

On Mar 13, 2013, at 11:23 PM, Ken wrote:

My IPad shows I have 5 apps that should/can be updated, but when I click on update nothing happens!

Ken Klein

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:26 am (PDT) . Posted by:

"T Hopkins" todhop

I believe I've run into the following two issues: (1) Wifi - some apps will only download or update via wi-fi. It's a size issue. (2) User/license - If you use more than one iTunes user to purchase or load apps, I think you need to be logged in as that user to update an app. Change this in settings. It's kinda buried in there.

The second problem can catch you if you sync more than one user (as I do) because iTunes can easily switch, and it's obvious how, but on the iPad, the logged-in user is buried in settings. If you handle the updates in iTunes, you can avoid both these issues because you will have a network connection and it will be apparent which users own which apps.

Cheers,
tod

On Mar 14, 2013, at 2:23 AM, Ken wrote:

> My IPad shows I have 5 apps that should/can be updated, but when I click on update nothing happens!
>
> Ken Klein
>
>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

GROUP FOOTER MESSAGE