3/20/2013

[macsupport] Digest Number 9441

1 New Message

Digest #9441
1a
Re: ooVoo and Java Runtime by "John" jlblake31

Message

Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:39 am (PDT) . Posted by:

"John" jlblake31



--- In macsupportcentral@yahoogroups.com, "Randy B. Singer" <randy@...> wrote:
>
>
> On Mar 16, 2013, at 10:40 AM, John wrote:
>
> > I was thinking of using ooVoo as a video chat program and while downloading, it calls for Java RunRuntime and I've seen a lot of discussion about Java programs. I want to make sure I don't download something that will cause problems if I can help it.
> > Is this a problem with Mac or is it probably safe? I have one iMac with Lion and one with Mt. Lion. I hope I was clear with my question, I am not a techie, just a very old guy who loves to use the computer!
>
> For the Macintosh (it is different for Windows PC's) the security problem comes from leaving Java enabled within your Web browser. As of yet, there is no problem whatsoever in leaving Java enabled on your Macintosh as a whole, and using Java-based applications.
>

> "...uninstalling Java completely, as some experts have recommended recently, is absolutely unnecessary! There's no easy way to remove all components of Java, and even if you could, it's really just the Java web plug-in that is the problem. If you download a Java application onto your computer and run it, that is no more insecure than downloading and running any other application. It is the automatic execution of Java code embedded in web pages that is where the security risks come into play. So you really don't need to do more than just disabling Java in your web browser."
> http://www.thesafemac.com/java-is-vulnerable-again/
>
> ___________________________________________
> Randy B. Singer
> Co-author of The Macintosh Bible (4th, 5th, and 6th editions)
>
> Macintosh OS X Routine Maintenance
> http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html
> ___________________________________________
>
>
>
>
>
> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>

Thanks Randy, that's the info I was hoping to find. I appreciate your help very much.

John

GROUP FOOTER MESSAGE