6/10/2012

[macsupport] Digest Number 8939

Messages In This Digest (10 Messages)

Messages

1a.

Re: Mini Freezes

Posted by: "Richard Prokopchuk" THEWIZARDOFAZ@COX.NET   wizardofaz2002

Sat Jun 9, 2012 9:14 am (PDT)



Ah yes...activity monitor. I've been doing that too. I couldn't recall when I wrote the post. I need to clarify the original post. The computer is not running slowly. It freezes...it blips...for about a second of fraction thereof. Then it resumes what it is doing, as if nothing had happened.

I had to try and logically think this out yesterday. It does this whether I run Safari or not. It does it if I'm only running iTunes, just for an example. The song will be playing, blip..and then resume. I tried to logically deduce which element(s) common to both Safari and or iTunes. My conclusion is the OS and the hardware. So, I downloaded the 10.7.4 combo and installed it. It has been done on a file by file case as software update tells me too, but I reasoned that perhaps, one of those downloads was corrupted. Now, I'm getting many, many fewer blips, but still getting them. I like to record music to cd for playing in the car. I don't like putting the originals in the car. Heat and thieves are too aggressive here. The blip carries over to the recordings. It's so annoying.

Rick
__________
Re: Mini Freezes
Posted by: "Randy B. Singer" randy@macattorney.com randybrucesinger
Sat Jun 9, 2012 2:34 am (PDT)

On Jun 8, 2012, at 12:14 PM, Richard Prokopchuk wrote:

> It started with mini freezes of a second or so ...Any ideas?

Run Activity Monitor (in your Applications/Utilities folder), and
click on the "%CPU header", and then click on the triangle in the %CPU
header so that things are ordered in that column from largest to
least. Make sure that All Processes is chosen in the drop down menu
at thte top of the window.
See what is running that is using the most CPU time. If it
has a really high number, this is likely to be what is causing your
slowdown.

If that isn't it, leave Activity Monitor open while you work, and
during one of the
times when your Mac has slowed to a crawl switch to Activity Monitor
and see if something is using up all of your processor's time.

Let us know what you find.

___________________________________________
Randy B. Singer
Co-author of The Macintosh Bible (4th, 5th, and 6th editions)

Macintosh OS X Routine Maintenance
http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html
____________________________________
1b.

Re: Mini Freezes

Posted by: "Randy B. Singer" randy@macattorney.com   randybrucesinger

Sat Jun 9, 2012 10:08 am (PDT)




On Jun 9, 2012, at 9:14 AM, Richard Prokopchuk wrote:

> Ah yes...activity monitor. I've been doing that too. I couldn't
> recall when I wrote the post. I need to clarify the original post.
> The computer is not running slowly. It freezes...it blips...for
> about a second of fraction thereof. Then it resumes what it is
> doing, as if nothing had happened.

Yes, that's exactly what I'm referring to. You get "blips" because
your computer's CPU is momentarily being used completely by something
other than your frontmost application. What I gave you was a
procedure to allow you to find out what is using up all of your
computer's CPU time at the moment that these "blips" occur.

It might help to disable all "login items" and then restart.
System Preference --> Accounts --> Login Items --> select each and
clink on the "minus" box

You might also have a corrupted Safari or Spotlight database.

___________________________________________
Randy B. Singer
Co-author of The Macintosh Bible (4th, 5th, and 6th editions)

Macintosh OS X Routine Maintenance
http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html
___________________________________________

2.1.

Re: motorcycles

Posted by: "Denver Dan" denver.dan@verizon.net   denverdan22180

Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:42 am (PDT)



Hummmm?

I'm not sure where Denver Dan as a motorcyclist came from. I'm not. I
just play one on TV?

But I've heard of some kind of British motorcycle called a Mac I think.

Denver Dan

On Wed, 06 Jun 2012 13:04:48 +0000, Budd T wrote:
>
>
> --- In macsupportcentral@yahoogroups.com, "Randy B. Singer"
> <randy@...> wrote:
> <snip>
>>> What M/C do you ride and what list?
>>
>> Denver Dan is also a motorcyclist.
>>
> Budd is also, with two BMW K-75.
>
>

3a.

Re: iPad 2 not connecting to wireless network

Posted by: "Jeff" jbturof@yahoo.com   jbturof

Sun Jun 10, 2012 4:00 am (PDT)



Multiple times.
Since resetting the router, thereby wiping out the password, all of the applications installed on the Windows partition of my iMac that connect to the web in some way are telling me they can't verify this or that anymore.
Thinking I may just buy a new router---maybe an airport extreme---and start over.

Anyone have any last thoughts?

Thanks.
Jeff

--- In macsupportcentral@yahoogroups.com, GG <googurl@...> wrote:
>
> At 6:20 PM +0000 6/8/12, Jeff wrote:
>
> >Thanks for the advice everyone.
> >@Jim----My security is set to WPA2 Personal ...
>
> One thing that often helps with network problems - after password
> protecting the network on the router, did you power off the iPad and
> then restart?
>

4a.

Re: small Firewire network - other ideas?

Posted by: "Denver Dan" denver.dan@verizon.net   denverdan22180

Sun Jun 10, 2012 4:28 am (PDT)



Howdy.

There are several ways to use a two computer FireWire network.

The term used is FireWire Target Disk mode for when you boot one
computer into FTD mode and its HD shows up on the other computer and
mounts on the Desktop of that other computer.

One of the things you can do is to install things using FTD mode where
that might otherwise not be possible.

I've done FTD mode where one computer didn't have either the right kind
of DVD player (or maybe it wasn't working) and by using FTD mode could
use the DVD player in the other computer as an optical drive for
installing operating system.

Denver Dan

On Wed, 06 Jun 2012 19:10:33 +0000, hpsbenbenek wrote:
> In my 17 years of Mac use, I had never networked two Macs together
> until last night, when I connected a simple Firewire cord to my old
> 2007 iMac and my new Mac Mini - I was easily able to transfer old
> files to the new machine and started to wonder if there was anything
> else I could do with this arrangement? My old iMac still works fine,
> but I plan to use it only as an extra hard drive. BUT is there any
> other way to use this small two Mac network? - - thanks!

5a.

Re: European 220 V plugs for Apple's autosensing power bricks

Posted by: "Denver Dan" denver.dan@verizon.net   denverdan22180

Sun Jun 10, 2012 4:45 am (PDT)



Howdy.

Often luggage and travel shops carry a selection of power plug adapters
for other countries.

Large computer retail stores do to.

I was in my local Micro Center a few days ago and was looking at USB
extension cords for the iPhone and now iPad devices that I have and
will be traveling with. I also looked for small travel size surge
protectors. There's a decent selection.

I've started traveling with a small bag for the "electronica" that
includes longer USB extension ables so I can use my iPhone in hotel
rooms where electric outlets aren't within distance of a chair.

I also now carry in my electronica bag an Ethernet Cat 5e cable since
many US hotel rooms now have Ethernet ports. I just added a surge
protector/power strip to the electronica bag.

It's amazing when you travel with a friend and share a room the amount
of charging iPhones, iPads, laptops, toothbrushes, and cameras that
goes on!!

BTW. The Apple brand keyboard USB extension cable that used to come
with Macintosh computers in the new box can't be used as a standard USB
extension cable for things like an iPhone / iPod / iPad because it has
a tiny "V" nub in the female end of the cable which prevents a standard
USB male plug from being inserted.

You can get other 3rd party USB extension cables that work fine for
this.

I just got a $4.99 USD ReTrak brand USB extension cable device at Micro
Center and added it to my electronica travel bag. ReTrak makes several
USB extension cable devices for the different types of USB ports &
plugs like Type A or Mini, etc.

There are other brands also. The ReTrak device provides about 4.5 feet
(1.37 m) of USB cable that retracts into a fairly small little spring
loaded wind up drum.

Denver Dan

On Sun, 03 Jun 2012 15:36:54 -0700, James Robertson wrote:
> My wife and I are traveling to Europe this summer, and we'll have an
> iPad, 2 iPhones, possibly a MacBook Pro, and one or two digital
> cameras along. All no doubt will need recharging.
>
> Apple's power supplies for their Mac and iOS devices are auto-sensing
> auto-switching, and all one needs when one changes from US to
> European standards is the electrical plug that fits into the power
> supplies. HOWEVER, Apple doesn't sell the plug adapters on its US
> store (well, it does sell a worldwide travel kit for $40, but we're
> going to only 2 countries but have several things that we'll want to
> plug in to recharge at the same time.
>
> I know we can buy separate plug adapters that map the pins of a US
> (non-grounded) plug into the two pins of a Western European outlet,
> but it puzzles me why Apple doesn't just sell the individual adapters
> for their own devices. I'd gladly pay some premium over the $3/plug
> price my local luggage shop charges for the adapters just so I
> wouldn't have to carry a bunch of generic plug adapters in my
> backpack.
>
> Is there a way to get the Apple Western European plugs in the US?
>
> Thanks,
>
> --
> Jim Robertson

5b.

Re: European 220 V plugs for Apple's autosensing power bricks

Posted by: "James Robertson" jamesrob@sonic.net   jamesrob328i

Sun Jun 10, 2012 5:25 am (PDT)




On Jun 10, 2012, at 4:44 AM, Denver Dan wrote:

> It's amazing when you travel with a friend and share a room the amount
> of charging iPhones, iPads, laptops, toothbrushes, and cameras that
> goes on!!

Even more amazing to me is the uncomfortable places road warriors (? sky warriors) will sit in the gate waiting areas to feed their devices some precious electrons from the often-difficult-to-find a/c plugs!

--
Jim Robertson

5c.

Re: European 220 V plugs for Apple's autosensing power bricks

Posted by: "Denver Dan" denver.dan@verizon.net   denverdan22180

Sun Jun 10, 2012 7:20 am (PDT)



Howdy.

On an April trip from Dulles International in Northern Virginia (DC
area) to San Francisco International, my departing flight got cancelled
due to mechanical problems. There was about a 2 hour wait.

Most of the waiting areas at Dulles and some other US airports now have
these small round waist high stand at type of little table with 4
electrical outlets. Since many of these airports also have WiFi it
means you can stand there and charge or sit nearby and keep an eye on
your device and use it via WiFi or cell. There were not enough of
these charging stations at Dulles in my concourse and people were lined
up.

Denver Dan

On Sun, 10 Jun 2012 05:25:38 -0700, James Robertson wrote:
>
> Even more amazing to me is the uncomfortable places road warriors (?
> sky warriors) will sit in the gate waiting areas to feed their
> devices some precious electrons from the often-difficult-to-find a/c
> plugs!

6a.

Re: Emoji keyboard on iOS

Posted by: "James Robertson" jamesrob@sonic.net   jamesrob328i

Sun Jun 10, 2012 5:16 am (PDT)




On Jun 9, 2012, at 8:52 AM, Barry Austern wrote:

> Works well in Messages app to send to other iDevices.

Anyone know if there's a similar simple way to add emoticons to messages in Mail on the Mac?

(I promise to do it here, but my other half is enthralled by these little critters).

--
Jim Robertson

6b.

Re: Emoji keyboard on iOS

Posted by: "Denver Dan" denver.dan@verizon.net   denverdan22180

Sun Jun 10, 2012 7:07 am (PDT)



Howdy.

You already have this ability in Mac OS X to add an emoticon to almost
any text document including a message in Apple Mail.

Whether the emoticon will arrive at the email destination intact is a
different story.

For the emoticon to arrive intact every time via email you need to
attach it as a JPEG or GIF graphic file.

Beware! This can become irritating!! Particularly when you send
attachments and your recipient hits Save Attachment and gets the
attached file along with 14 cute kittens, clapping hands, and smiley
faces that have to be deleted.

To add emoticons to any Mac based document including email enable your
Input menu and use Character Viewer on it.

When you open Character Viewer look at the left pane and click Emoji.
The Emoji "font" is for emoticons and has divisions for People, Nature,
Objects, Places, and Symbols.

The emoticon following this sentence is from the Emoji font and should
be a yellow smiley face with hearts for eyes. 😍

The emoticon following this sentence should be a blue square with the
number 8 in white in it. Except the color disappeared when I dragged
it into this GyazMail message. 8⃣

This one should be a smug smiley face. ☺

I doubt if they survive the email voyage to destination.

I don't think there are any easy to find emoticon generators specific
to Apple's Mail Program. There are some for iChat.

There are free and commercial emoticon generation programs, though,
check MacUpdate and search there.

Denver Dan

On Sun, 10 Jun 2012 05:16:49 -0700, James Robertson wrote:
> On Jun 9, 2012, at 8:52 AM, Barry Austern wrote:
>
>> Works well in Messages app to send to other iDevices.
>
> Anyone know if there's a similar simple way to add emoticons to
> messages in Mail on the Mac?
>
> (I promise to do it here, but my other half is enthralled by these
> little critters).
>
>
>
> --
> Jim Robertson
Recent Activity
Visit Your Group
Sitebuilder

Build a web site

quickly & easily

with Sitebuilder.

Yahoo! Finance

It's Now Personal

Guides, news,

advice & more.

New business?

Get new customers.

List your web site

in Yahoo! Search.

Need to Reply?

Click one of the "Reply" links to respond to a specific message in the Daily Digest.

Create New Topic | Visit Your Group on the Web