6/19/2012

[macsupport] Digest Number 8955

Messages In This Digest (15 Messages)

1a.
Re: iPhone/iPad Photographs From: Jim Saklad
1b.
Re: iPhone/iPad Photographs From: N.A. Nada
1c.
Re: iPhone/iPad Photographs From: Otto Nikolaus
2a.
Re: Signature Test from iPad From: Eric
2b.
Re: Signature Test from iPad From: Denver dan
3a.
Re: Lion questions. Help needed. From: gicleeman
3b.
Re: Lion questions. Help needed. From: Jim Saklad
3c.
Re: Lion questions. Help needed. From: keith_w @dslextreme.com
3d.
Re: Lion questions. Help needed. From: keith_w @dslextreme.com
3e.
Re: Lion questions. Help needed. From: John Engberg
4a.
Re: ppc apps in Lion From: Chris Jones
4b.
Re: ppc apps in Lion From: Bill B.
5.
Can you change default "alert sound" in iCAL? From: LouisD
6a.
AutoFill assistance From: bobbystar
6b.
Re: AutoFill assistance From: HAL9000

Messages

1a.

Re: iPhone/iPad Photographs

Posted by: "Jim Saklad" jimdoc@me.com   jimdoc01

Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:59 pm (PDT)



> My crystal ball is a little foggy. Are you using OS X or Windows?

I'm assuming that, since we're on the Macsupport forum, that we're supporting a Mac.

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Jim Saklad mailto:jimdoc@me.com

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

1b.

Re: iPhone/iPad Photographs

Posted by: "N.A. Nada" whodo678@comcast.net

Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:16 pm (PDT)



Sorry, I'm also on an iPhone list and sometimes they are syncing to a Windows PC.

On Jun 18, 2012, at 8:59 PM, Jim Saklad wrote:

> My crystal ball is a little foggy. Are you using OS X or Windows?

I'm assuming that, since we're on the Macsupport forum, that we're supporting a Mac.

1c.

Re: iPhone/iPad Photographs

Posted by: "Otto Nikolaus" otto.nikolaus@googlemail.com   nikyzf

Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:54 am (PDT)



On 19 June 2012 04:59, Jim Saklad <jimdoc@me.com> wrote:

>
> 1. Image Capture. No purchase, it's part of the OS on the Mac. Connect the
> iDevice to the computer, run Image capture, select the device on the left,
> select all the images, click on Import All, wait a while.
>
> 2. Select the images on the Mac that you want on the iDevice, put them in
> a folder, or a folder of several folders, connect the device, run iTunes,
> select the device on the left, select Photos on the right, click "Sync
> Photos from..." and select the relevant folder. Sync.
>
> You can use various photo apps instead of Image Capture, such as iPhoto,
which comes with every new Mac.

Otto

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

2a.

Re: Signature Test from iPad

Posted by: "Eric" emanmb@yahoo.com   emanmb

Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:18 pm (PDT)



Aww I liked the Thai font!
That said, this comp is set up for Thai and english as it's my wife's MBP so maybe that had something to do with it.

All my comp gear, except for the HD's I pulled from my machines and my externals, is somewhere in the Pacific. :(

Macs are easy to come by here in Bangkok although pricey. iPhone 4s'es are $655-ish w/a contract with True. They're running a deal for iPhone 4's at 1/2 off since it's the earlier model.
At some point I'll be visiting Pantip Plaza, which is a computer mall here, to pic up misc. stuff. Probably will need some of those bare drive connectors to offload all my stuff from the IDE drives pulled from my G4.
http://www.bangkok.com/shopping-mall/pantip-plaza.htm

Eric

--- In macsupportcentral@yahoogroups.com, Denver Dan <denver.dan@...> wrote:
>
> Howdy
>
> This is a test from iPad.
>
> Apple Tech Support suggested trying the same "font" on both iPhone and iPad.
>
> I was using the "Large" font on iPhone and the "Medium" font on iPad.
>
> So now both devices are set to the Large font.
>
> If my signature is anything other than alternating exclamation points, please message me.
>
>
>
> !¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡
>
> iSent from iDan's iPad
>

2b.

Re: Signature Test from iPad

Posted by: "Denver dan" denver.dan@verizon.net   denverdan22180

Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:56 pm (PDT)



What do you mean by bare drive connector?

I have several drive docks but am not aware of any for IDE that hot swap.

I do have a somewhat complex gadget from OWC for connecting different types of drives via cables, an adapter box, and the USB port. Works with IDE, SATA, etc. Sort of a repair shop type of thing.

!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i
iSent from iDan's iPhone

On Jun 19, 2012, at 12:18 AM, "Eric" <emanmb@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Probably will need some of those bare drive connectors to offload all my stuff from the IDE drives pulled from my G4.

3a.

Re: Lion questions. Help needed.

Posted by: "gicleeman" gicleeman@mail.com   gicleeman

Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:15 pm (PDT)



A couple days ago I selected text on a TextEdit document and tried to drag it to an email and it didn't work. Copy and Paste worked. Just anecdotal, and didn't make sense, but I moved on and didn't try to figure it out.

Peter

--- In macsupportcentral@yahoogroups.com, "keith_w @..." <keith_w@...> wrote:
>
> I'm sure this may sound snotty, but it's critical to my understanding, so
> I'll have to risk that.
> Why? Is drag and drop no longer working well in Lion, or, is there
> something not quite right with the procedure? Or is your copy and paste
> more comfortable for you?
> Will one work where the other won't?
>
> keith
>
> On Mon, Jun 18, 2012 at 12:38 PM, gicleeman <gicleeman@...> wrote:
>
> > **
> >
> >
> > Instead of dragging and dropping, try copy and pasting.
> >
> > Peter
> >
> >
> > --- In macsupportcentral@yahoogroups.com, "keith_w @..." <keith_w@>
> > wrote:
> > >
> > > See below:
> > >
> > > On Mon, Jun 18, 2012 at 9:53 AM, Otto Nikolaus <otto.nikolaus@
> > > > wrote:
> > >
> > > > **
> >
> > > >
> > > >
> > > > Keith,
> > > >
> > > > You're not telling us what we would expect anyone to check: can you
> > see the
> > > > flash drive's contents on the old Mac?
> > > >
> > > Nossir. See my answer to Nada. Nothing.
> > >
> > > > Try the usual Finder options
> > > > Icons/Lists/Columns to see which works best for you.
> > > >
> > >
> > > None work at ALL. That's my problem. No data shows up...
> > >
> > > > Viewing a flash drive in Finder is like looking at any other volume.
> > How
> > > > does Macintosh HD look in Finder on the new Mac?
> > > >
> > > When I click on the JD icon, it opens in Cover Flow view, with the large
> > > icons at the top, and the list of all items contained therein, in the
> > > bottom pane. That's what I expected for the flash drive, but didn't get.
> > >
> > > I have a suspicion that, altho' HP says it will work on a Mac, they were
> > > thinking about the older Intel Mac (up thru OS 10.6 something, and that
> > > doesn't do it for Lion.
> > > Not sure, but I'm thinking in that direction...
> > >
> > > keith
> > >
> > > > Otto
> > > >
> > > >
> > > > On 18 June 2012 13:28, Keith <keith_w@> wrote:
> > > >
> > > > > keith whaley here:
> > > > > Mac OS 10.7.3 Lion
> > > > > New iMac / mid-2011 refurb
> > > > >
> > > > > I need some help with Lion. It is not acting as I'd expect. Way too
> > > > > different from 10.6.8!
> > > > >
> > > > > I have my old iMac (Mid 2007) and this new one side by side.
> > > > > Before I pass off the older one to my son, I'm taking some stuff off.
> > > > > Most of it was transferred by the Geek Squad, but I'm transferring
> > > > > odds'n'ends by way of a memory stick.
> > > > >
> > > > > Problem statement:
> > > > > Put memory stick in USB2 port on the older computer, copied some
> > stuff
> > > > > over to it.
> > > > > Put the memory stick in the new computer, it shows up on the
> > desktop. I
> > > > do
> > > > > a "Get Info" on it and it says the stick has approx. 2/3 of it's 32
> > GB
> > > > > used, the rest is free. That confirms the data was transferred.
> > > > >
> > > > > Okay, my problem is, there seems to be nothing I can do to view
> > what's ON
> > > > > that memory stick!
> > > > > Double clicking on it brings up a window with nothing in it. No list
> > of
> > > > > files as I had expected.
> > > > >
> > > > > I tried other methods I used to use, to get it to list what's on it,
> > and
> > > > > no success.
> > > > >
> > > > > Who has an idea why? How might I persuade it to list it's own
> > contents?
> > > > >
> > > >
> > > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > >
> > >
> > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
> > >
> >
> >
> >
>
>
> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>

3b.

Re: Lion questions. Help needed.

Posted by: "Jim Saklad" jimdoc@me.com   jimdoc01

Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:54 pm (PDT)



>> I'm sure this may sound snotty, but it's critical to my understanding, so I'll have to risk that.
>>
>> Why? Is drag and drop no longer working well in Lion, or, is there something not quite right with the procedure? Or is your copy and paste more comfortable for you?
>>
>> Will one work where the other won't?
>> keith
>
> A couple days ago I selected text on a TextEdit document and tried to drag it to an email and it didn't work. Copy and Paste worked. Just anecdotal, and didn't make sense, but I moved on and didn't try to figure it out.
> Peter

The discussion has been about transferring files, including the suggestion to drag and drop.

Did you think dragging and dropping text between program was comparable to dragging and dropping files between volumes?

3c.

Re: Lion questions. Help needed.

Posted by: "keith_w @dslextreme.com" keith_w@dslextreme.com   keith9600

Tue Jun 19, 2012 5:31 am (PDT)



Fair enough. I understand where you're coming from now. Thanks for
clarifying that.

keith

On Mon, Jun 18, 2012 at 10:15 PM, gicleeman <gicleeman@mail.com> wrote:

> **
>
>
> A couple days ago I selected text on a TextEdit document and tried to drag
> it to an email and it didn't work. Copy and Paste worked. Just anecdotal,
> and didn't make sense, but I moved on and didn't try to figure it out.
>
>
> Peter
>
> --- In macsupportcentral@yahoogroups.com, "keith_w @..." <keith_w@...>
> wrote:
> >
> > I'm sure this may sound snotty, but it's critical to my understanding, so
> > I'll have to risk that.
> > Why? Is drag and drop no longer working well in Lion, or, is there
> > something not quite right with the procedure? Or is your copy and paste
> > more comfortable for you?
> > Will one work where the other won't?
> >
> > keith
> >
> > On Mon, Jun 18, 2012 at 12:38 PM, gicleeman <gicleeman@...> wrote:
> >
> > > **
>
> > >
> > >
> > > Instead of dragging and dropping, try copy and pasting.
> > >
> > > Peter
> > >
> > >
> > > --- In macsupportcentral@yahoogroups.com, "keith_w @..." <keith_w@>
> > > wrote:
> > > >
> > > > See below:
> > > >
> > > > On Mon, Jun 18, 2012 at 9:53 AM, Otto Nikolaus <otto.nikolaus@
> > > > > wrote:
> > > >
> > > > > **
> > >
> > > > >
> > > > >
> > > > > Keith,
> > > > >
> > > > > You're not telling us what we would expect anyone to check: can you
> > > see the
> > > > > flash drive's contents on the old Mac?
> > > > >
> > > > Nossir. See my answer to Nada. Nothing.
> > > >
> > > > > Try the usual Finder options
> > > > > Icons/Lists/Columns to see which works best for you.
> > > > >
> > > >
> > > > None work at ALL. That's my problem. No data shows up...
> > > >
> > > > > Viewing a flash drive in Finder is like looking at any other
> volume.
> > > How
> > > > > does Macintosh HD look in Finder on the new Mac?
> > > > >
> > > > When I click on the JD icon, it opens in Cover Flow view, with the
> large
> > > > icons at the top, and the list of all items contained therein, in the
> > > > bottom pane. That's what I expected for the flash drive, but didn't
> get.
> > > >
> > > > I have a suspicion that, altho' HP says it will work on a Mac, they
> were
> > > > thinking about the older Intel Mac (up thru OS 10.6 something, and
> that
> > > > doesn't do it for Lion.
> > > > Not sure, but I'm thinking in that direction...
> > > >
> > > > keith
> > > >
> > > > > Otto
> > > > >
> > > > >
> > > > > On 18 June 2012 13:28, Keith <keith_w@> wrote:
> > > > >
> > > > > > keith whaley here:
> > > > > > Mac OS 10.7.3 Lion
> > > > > > New iMac / mid-2011 refurb
> > > > > >
> > > > > > I need some help with Lion. It is not acting as I'd expect. Way
> too
> > > > > > different from 10.6.8!
> > > > > >
> > > > > > I have my old iMac (Mid 2007) and this new one side by side.
> > > > > > Before I pass off the older one to my son, I'm taking some stuff
> off.
> > > > > > Most of it was transferred by the Geek Squad, but I'm
> transferring
> > > > > > odds'n'ends by way of a memory stick.
> > > > > >
> > > > > > Problem statement:
> > > > > > Put memory stick in USB2 port on the older computer, copied some
> > > stuff
> > > > > > over to it.
> > > > > > Put the memory stick in the new computer, it shows up on the
> > > desktop. I
> > > > > do
> > > > > > a "Get Info" on it and it says the stick has approx. 2/3 of it's
> 32
> > > GB
> > > > > > used, the rest is free. That confirms the data was transferred.
> > > > > >
> > > > > > Okay, my problem is, there seems to be nothing I can do to view
> > > what's ON
> > > > > > that memory stick!
> > > > > > Double clicking on it brings up a window with nothing in it. No
> list
> > > of
> > > > > > files as I had expected.
> > > > > >
> > > > > > I tried other methods I used to use, to get it to list what's on
> it,
> > > and
> > > > > > no success.
> > > > > >
> > > > > > Who has an idea why? How might I persuade it to list it's own
> > > contents?
> > > > > >
> > > > >
> > > > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
> > > > >
> > > > >
> > > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
> > > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> >
> >
> > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
> >
>
>
>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

3d.

Re: Lion questions. Help needed.

Posted by: "keith_w @dslextreme.com" keith_w@dslextreme.com   keith9600

Tue Jun 19, 2012 5:37 am (PDT)



Did that and it worked. The data thereon opened in a Cover Flow View. All
seems to be working okay now. Thanks for that!
I figure HP's instructions that how it was formatted was okay for earlier
versions of OSX, but not Lion. Anyhow...it works now.

BTW, I formatted the flash drive as Mac OS Extended, but not as the
Journalled version. What does Journalling do for you? What extra capability
does it add?
I'll go look it up, but wanted to thank everyone for their kind attention
to my dilemma.

keith

On Mon, Jun 18, 2012 at 6:17 PM, Brimac <brmc@olypen.com> wrote:

> **
>
>
> How is your memory stick formatted? Generally they come Fat 32, which
> could be the problem. Use Disk Utility to reformat it Mac OS Extended
> Journaled and then copy your info over again…
>
>
> --- In macsupportcentral@yahoogroups.com, "Keith" <keith_w@...> wrote:
> >
> > keith whaley here:
> > Mac OS 10.7.3 Lion
> > New iMac / mid-2011 refurb
> >
> > I need some help with Lion. It is not acting as I'd expect. Way too
> different from 10.6.8!
> >
> > I have my old iMac (Mid 2007) and this new one side by side.
> > Before I pass off the older one to my son, I'm taking some stuff off.
> > Most of it was transferred by the Geek Squad, but I'm transferring
> odds'n'ends by way of a memory stick.
> >
> > Problem statement:
> > Put memory stick in USB2 port on the older computer, copied some stuff
> over to it.
> > Put the memory stick in the new computer, it shows up on the desktop. I
> do a "Get Info" on it and it says the stick has approx. 2/3 of it's 32 GB
> used, the rest is free. That confirms the data was transferred.
> >
> > Okay, my problem is, there seems to be nothing I can do to view what's
> ON that memory stick!
> > Double clicking on it brings up a window with nothing in it. No list of
> files as I had expected.
> >
> > I tried other methods I used to use, to get it to list what's on it, and
> no success.
> >
> > Who has an idea why? How might I persuade it to list it's own contents?
> >
> > Thanks, keith
> >
>
>
>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

3e.

Re: Lion questions. Help needed.

Posted by: "John Engberg" mrbyte@earthlink.net   mrmacbyte

Tue Jun 19, 2012 6:34 am (PDT)




On Jun 19, 2012, at 1:54 AM, Jim Saklad wrote:

>>> I'm sure this may sound snotty, but it's critical to my understanding, so I'll have to risk that.
>>>
>>> Why? Is drag and drop no longer working well in Lion, or, is there something not quite right with the procedure? Or is your copy and paste more comfortable for you?
>>>
>>> Will one work where the other won't?
>>> keith
>>
>> A couple days ago I selected text on a TextEdit document and tried to drag it to an email and it didn't work. Copy and Paste worked. Just anecdotal, and didn't make sense, but I moved on and didn't try to figure it out.
>> Peter
>
> The discussion has been about transferring files, including the suggestion to drag and drop.
>
> Did you think dragging and dropping text between program was comparable to dragging and dropping files between volumes?
>

Interestingly, dragging and dropping text between a Text Edit doc and a new email message (Apple Mail) works for me (OS X 10.7.4).

John Engberg

>
>
> ------------------------------------
>
> Group FAQ:
> <http://www.macsupportcentral.com/policies/>
>
> Yahoo! Groups Links
>
>
>

4a.

Re: ppc apps in Lion

Posted by: "Chris Jones" jonesc@hep.phy.cam.ac.uk   bobstermcbob

Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:50 pm (PDT)




On 19 Jun 2012, at 5:45am, Brimac wrote:

> Is there an emulator that will permit ppc apps to run on Lion?

Short answer, no. Longer asked, ask google.

>
>
>
> ------------------------------------
>
> Group FAQ:
> <http://www.macsupportcentral.com/policies/>
>
> Yahoo! Groups Links
>
>
>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

4b.

Re: ppc apps in Lion

Posted by: "Bill B." bill501@mindspring.com   kernos501

Tue Jun 19, 2012 6:47 am (PDT)



At 3:45 AM +0000 6/19/12, Brimac wrote:
>Is there an emulator that will permit ppc apps to run on Lion?

Yes.

You can run Snow leopard Server as a virtual machine on VMware Fusion under Lion. Just remember to install Rosetta.

Bill B.

5.

Can you change default "alert sound" in iCAL?

Posted by: "LouisD" lou@loudina.com   ldina

Tue Jun 19, 2012 5:48 am (PDT)



I find the default alert sound (Basso) in iCAL to be extremely irritating. Sometimes, I have my speaker volume set high for other applications, and when "Basso" sounds, I nearly jump out of my shorts (and I use iCAL a lot).

I know I can change the alert sound every time I create a new calendar event, but was wondering if there is a way to change the "default" iCAL alert sound so I don't have to manually select it 'every' time.

I didn't see a default alert sound in iCAL preferences,which surprised me. I did change my default sound in System Preferences, but it doesn't seem to carry over to iCAL. (OS X 10.6.8)

Thanks,

Lou

6a.

AutoFill assistance

Posted by: "bobbystar" bobbystar@yahoo.com   bobbystar

Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:17 am (PDT)



When I am filling out a web based form autofill pops up and I use it.

Is there a way to edit the information? Where and how do I edit the info?

TIA,

Bobby

6b.

Re: AutoFill assistance

Posted by: "HAL9000" jrswebhome@yahoo.com   jrswebhome

Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:33 am (PDT)



Safari is picking up info from your Address Book. I like "Safari Autofill Prefs" to fine-tune what autofill chooses first.

--- In macsupportcentral@yahoogroups.com, "bobbystar" <bobbystar@...> wrote:
>
> When I am filling out a web based form autofill pops up and I use it.
>
> Is there a way to edit the information? Where and how do I edit the info?
>
> TIA,
>
> Bobby
>

Recent Activity
Visit Your Group
Ads on Yahoo!

Learn more now.

Reach customers

searching for you.

Yahoo! Finance

It's Now Personal

Guides, news,

advice & more.

Biz Resources

Y! Small Business

Articles, tools,

forms, and more.

Need to Reply?

Click one of the "Reply" links to respond to a specific message in the Daily Digest.

Create New Topic | Visit Your Group on the Web