6/26/2012

[macsupport] Digest Number 8965

Messages In This Digest (10 Messages)

Messages

1.

Filebuddy 10 available for OS 10.6 or later

Posted by: "Bill B." bill501@mindspring.com   kernos501

Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:05 am (PDT)



I recall some wanting FB for Lion:

WHAT'S NEW
Version 10.0b1:
Note: File Buddy 10 is free for users that purchased File Buddy 9 after January 1st, 2012 and 50% off for all others with a File Buddy 9 license.
€ No plug-in to install. File Buddy's additions to Finder contextual menus are always available and can be managed using the Keyboard pane in System Preferences, making it trivial to give your favorite commands keyboard shortcuts and remove commands you don't use.
€ Several new commands added and several lesser used commands removed.
€ Full support added for 256x256 and 512x512 icons.
€ Better quality icons when creating custom icons from pictures.
€ Several updates to the various column-specific contextual menus.
€ All new code to create custom icons from image files and image data on the Clipboard produces better icons in sizes from 16x16 to the 512x512-pixel icons introduced in Snow Leopard.

REQUIREMENTS
Intel, Mac OS X 10.6 or later

Bill

2a.

Re: Notes: adding a subject header

Posted by: "N.A. Nada" whodo678@comcast.net

Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:07 pm (PDT)



Ken, give us a better description of what you want.

The first becomes the title or subject, is that not what you mean?

On Jun 25, 2012, at 6:34 AM, Ken wrote:

In Apple Mail, there's a way to make "Notes", but no way I can see to give them a subject header. I'm getting too many notes now and it's difficult keeping track of them. Is there a way to add a subject header to a note?
Thanks.
Ken Silva

2b.

Re: Notes: adding a subject header

Posted by: "Ken" avlisk@cox.net   avliska

Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:05 pm (PDT)



Thanks, folks. I got the solution. I was able to go back into my notes and type in a short first sentence, then hit "return" and lo and behold, a subject header/title of note was magically created. It's another of those hidden things that you just have to know about, rather than being in the pull-down menu, which is where I (logically, I thought) looked.
But, I've now learned it and I'm good to go.
Ken S.

--- In macsupportcentral@yahoogroups.com, "N.A. Nada" <whodo678@...> wrote:
>
> Ken, give us a better description of what you want.
>
> The first becomes the title or subject, is that not what you mean?
>
>
> On Jun 25, 2012, at 6:34 AM, Ken wrote:
>
> In Apple Mail, there's a way to make "Notes", but no way I can see to give them a subject header. I'm getting too many notes now and it's difficult keeping track of them. Is there a way to add a subject header to a note?
> Thanks.
> Ken Silva
>

3a.

Re: Mac Book Shuts Down instead of Hibernating?

Posted by: "N.A. Nada" whodo678@comcast.net

Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:11 pm (PDT)



Tod,

If your battery is that low that it powers down or hibernates, it usually means you should recharge the battery. If it will not awaken at that point it means the charge is extremely low.

Would you rather it awaken, and you start working on it past this warning and then have it crash and lose things?

It could just be that you need to recalibrate your battery, rather than anything else. If the battery is out of calibration, then it might shut down before you expect it. Apple recommends gig through the recalibration steps once a month, but I know most don't.

Brent

On Jun 25, 2012, at 8:04 AM, T Hopkins wrote:

I have had trouble waking the computer before. In this case the system is not locked. It is clearly powered off. Pressing the power button quickly, once, starts up. Otherwise I'd have to hold the power button to power off first. On restart, the battery is critically low so this also appears to be a common symptom. That last common system (so far) is that the lid is left open.

What puzzles me is that I can't find anything at all that says a Mac might shut down on it's own spontaneously, unless crashing, and there is no evidence that the system has crashed, though I can't tell that for sure. Console does show any obvious signs of shut down or any errors. It just stops in the middle of the night and starts up again when I boot.

It's also a bit of a puzzle that the power is running down that quickly. In that state, the system should sleep, and in sleep, should last longer than it is lasting, though I might be overestimating that since I'm am not 100% confident of the power state when I left the machine.

Honestly, it might be time for a complete rebuild. This system works hard, has had many, many apps on it, and it's now well over three years old. I've been holding out for Mountain Lion, but maybe I should go ahead and clean install Lion.

Cheers,
tod

Tod Hopkins
Hillmann & Carr Inc.
todhopkins-at-hillmanncarr.com

On Jun 25, 2012, at 9:16 AM, James Robertson wrote:

>
> On Jun 25, 2012, at 5:20 AM, T Hopkins wrote:
>
>> My Mac Book Pro 2008 shuts down rather than hibernating when it runs critically low on battery.
>
> I THINK I remember this happening to me on my own laptops. I honestly don't know whether the power management firmware is smart enough to realize "hey, the guy who tickles my keys really ISN'T coming back before I've doled out my last electron" proceeding from there to execute a formal shutdown/power off, but I recall there have been situations where the battery power was very low and I couldn't wake the computer up, but with my ear pressed against the "solid block of Jony Ive's milled Al-u-MIN-i-um, I could hear a soft whirring stop when I held down the power button to force power off. I don't know why that would be any better than the battery dwindling to nothing. You'd think there'd be an Apple Support Article that clarifies this, but a brief search didn't find one.
>
> I did find one discouraging Apple Communities discussion that may be pertinent to your issue, at
>
> <https://discussions.apple.com/message/17144948#17144948>
>
> (the https URL tells me you may need to log in to be able to read it). Basically it suggests there's a hardware issue.
>
> --
> Jim Robertson
>
> Mac Pro (Early 2008, Dual 2.8 Quad Core Xeons, 6 GB RAM
> OS X 10.7.4)
> MacBook Pro (15 inch Early 2011, 2 Ghz Quad Core i7, 8 GB RAM
> OS X 10.7.4)
> iPad2 (16 GB ATT
> iOS 5.1.1)
> iPhone 4s (16 GB ATT
> iOS 5.1.1)
>
>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

------------------------------------

Group FAQ:
<http://www.macsupportcentral.com/policies/>

Yahoo! Groups Links

3b.

Re: Mac Book Shuts Down instead of Hibernating?

Posted by: "Denver Dan" denver.dan@verizon.net   denverdan22180

Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:13 pm (PDT)



Howdy.

If you have a laptop from 2008 with the original battery you may need
to replace the battery. Four years is getting long in the tooth for a
laptop battery.

If you haven't let the battery drain completely while the laptop is
running and it then shuts it down, you should. This is a way to
recalibrate the charge level indicator which with a lithium battery can
sometimes get off track and not report charge level accurately.

You might also go to Apple web site, Support, and look up an SMC Reset
command. SMC means System Management Controller and it has a lot to do
with power management, energy use, charging, and more. This command
used to be called the PMU Reset (for Power Management Unit) so you
could see a reference to that older term. The reset usually involves
shutting down, unplugging power, and sometimes pressing a button but
can vary from model to model.

Denver Dan

On Mon, 25 Jun 2012 08:20:46 -0400, T Hopkins wrote:
> My Mac Book Pro 2008 shuts down rather than hibernating when it runs
> critically low on battery. In looking into this, it does not appear
> to be the expected behavior and not sure what I might check.
> Generally it sleeps and wakes properly. In the past, it has
> hibernated so it is not incapable of doing so and I can tell the
> difference.
>
> I've never actually seen it shut down. There is no evidence the shut
> down is anything be "elegant" though I haven't check the system log.
> I should do that. Duh.
>
> So far this has only happened if the lid is open, not if it has been
> put to sleep by closing the lid. I've considered that it might not
> be sleeping or hibernating properly with the lid open.
>
> Suggestions for troubleshooting this? Operator error?
>
> Cheers,
> tod

3c.

Re: Mac Book Shuts Down instead of Hibernating?

Posted by: "T Hopkins" hoplist@hillmanncarr.com   todhop

Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:54 pm (PDT)



The question is why is my Mac Book shutting down rather than hibernating, not why isn't it holding a charge.

I'm not having a power problem under normal conditions. The current battery is in good shape (4725mAh max) and holds a charge well. It is indeed drained when this happens, but the fact that it is drained is not surprising under the circumstances where this happens.

Wait, that's it. The system is not hibernating properly! I'll bet it's not sleeping either when I leave the top open. Maybe I should be looking for something that is keeping it awake if I don't deliberately put it too sleep!

Very promising avenue for research. What log would help me find something that is "pinging" the system and keeping it awake? Hmmm...

Cheers,
tod

Tod Hopkins
Hillmann & Carr Inc.
todhopkins-at-hillmanncarr.com

On Jun 25, 2012, at 3:11 PM, N.A. Nada wrote:

> Tod,
>
> If your battery is that low that it powers down or hibernates, it usually means you should recharge the battery. If it will not awaken at that point it means the charge is extremely low.
>
> Would you rather it awaken, and you start working on it past this warning and then have it crash and lose things?
>
> It could just be that you need to recalibrate your battery, rather than anything else. If the battery is out of calibration, then it might shut down before you expect it. Apple recommends gig through the recalibration steps once a month, but I know most don't.
>
> Brent
>
> On Jun 25, 2012, at 8:04 AM, T Hopkins wrote:
>
> I have had trouble waking the computer before. In this case the system is not locked. It is clearly powered off. Pressing the power button quickly, once, starts up. Otherwise I'd have to hold the power button to power off first. On restart, the battery is critically low so this also appears to be a common symptom. That last common system (so far) is that the lid is left open.
>
> What puzzles me is that I can't find anything at all that says a Mac might shut down on it's own spontaneously, unless crashing, and there is no evidence that the system has crashed, though I can't tell that for sure. Console does show any obvious signs of shut down or any errors. It just stops in the middle of the night and starts up again when I boot.
>
> It's also a bit of a puzzle that the power is running down that quickly. In that state, the system should sleep, and in sleep, should last longer than it is lasting, though I might be overestimating that since I'm am not 100% confident of the power state when I left the machine.
>
> Honestly, it might be time for a complete rebuild. This system works hard, has had many, many apps on it, and it's now well over three years old. I've been holding out for Mountain Lion, but maybe I should go ahead and clean install Lion.
>
> Cheers,
> tod
>
> Tod Hopkins
> Hillmann & Carr Inc.
> todhopkins-at-hillmanncarr.com
>
> On Jun 25, 2012, at 9:16 AM, James Robertson wrote:
>
> >
> > On Jun 25, 2012, at 5:20 AM, T Hopkins wrote:
> >
> >> My Mac Book Pro 2008 shuts down rather than hibernating when it runs critically low on battery.
> >
> > I THINK I remember this happening to me on my own laptops. I honestly don't know whether the power management firmware is smart enough to realize "hey, the guy who tickles my keys really ISN'T coming back before I've doled out my last electron" proceeding from there to execute a formal shutdown/power off, but I recall there have been situations where the battery power was very low and I couldn't wake the computer up, but with my ear pressed against the "solid block of Jony Ive's milled Al-u-MIN-i-um, I could hear a soft whirring stop when I held down the power button to force power off. I don't know why that would be any better than the battery dwindling to nothing. You'd think there'd be an Apple Support Article that clarifies this, but a brief search didn't find one.
> >
> > I did find one discouraging Apple Communities discussion that may be pertinent to your issue, at
> >
> > <https://discussions.apple.com/message/17144948#17144948>
> >
> > (the https URL tells me you may need to log in to be able to read it). Basically it suggests there's a hardware issue.
> >
> > --
> > Jim Robertson
> >
> > Mac Pro (Early 2008, Dual 2.8 Quad Core Xeons, 6 GB RAM
> > OS X 10.7.4)
> > MacBook Pro (15 inch Early 2011, 2 Ghz Quad Core i7, 8 GB RAM
> > OS X 10.7.4)
> > iPad2 (16 GB ATT
> > iOS 5.1.1)
> > iPhone 4s (16 GB ATT
> > iOS 5.1.1)
> >
> >
>
> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>
> ------------------------------------
>
> Group FAQ:
> <http://www.macsupportcentral.com/policies/>
>
> Yahoo! Groups Links
>
>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

4a.

Mapping software

Posted by: "Alan" alan.wax@gmail.com   waxhouse2000

Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:31 pm (PDT)



Any suggestions on a good mapping software for Mac other than Google or Boot Camp.

Thanks,
Alan

4b.

Re: Mapping software

Posted by: "Bob Cook" cookrd1@discoveryowners.com   cookrd1

Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:21 pm (PDT)



On Monday, June 25, 2012, Alan wrote:

> **
>
>
> Any suggestions on a good mapping software for Mac other than Google or
> Boot Camp.
>
> If you are looking for a Mac equivalent of MS, CoPilot or Delorme, there
are none.
Bob

--
-Bob

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

4c.

Re: Mapping software

Posted by: "Randy B. Singer" randy@macattorney.com   randybrucesinger

Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:32 pm (PDT)




On Jun 25, 2012, at 4:31 PM, Alan wrote:

> Any suggestions on a good mapping software for Mac other than
> Google or Boot Camp.

GPSy X
http://www.gpsy.com/

iMap
http://www.biovolution.com/imap/

RouteBuddy
http://www.routebuddy.com/routebuddy

Route 66
http://www.66.com/route66/index.php?cid=US&act=1

FlightTrack
http://flighttrack.sourceforge.net/

GPSNavX
http://www.gpsnavx.com/

GPSRouteX
http://www.grandhighwizard.net/gpsroutex.html

___________________________________________
Randy B. Singer
Co-author of The Macintosh Bible (4th, 5th, and 6th editions)

Macintosh OS X Routine Maintenance
http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html
___________________________________________

5.

Mac OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion - security change

Posted by: "Denver Dan" denver.dan@verizon.net   denverdan22180

Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:01 am (PDT)



Howdy.

Several articles this morning on changes to security features in Mac OS
X 10.8 Mountain Lion.

One is that Mountain Lion should do an automatic daily check for
security updates from Apple.

Mountain Lion should be available on the App Store sometime in July
2012.

Denver Dan

Recent Activity
Visit Your Group
Yahoo! Finance

It's Now Personal

Guides, news,

advice & more.

Sitebuilder

Build a web site

quickly & easily

with Sitebuilder.

Search Ads

Get new customers.

List your web site

in Yahoo! Search.

Need to Reply?

Click one of the "Reply" links to respond to a specific message in the Daily Digest.

Create New Topic | Visit Your Group on the Web