6/16/2012

[macsupport] Digest Number 8950

Messages In This Digest (12 Messages)

Messages

1a.

Re: need power in Europe

Posted by: "Jim Saklad" jimdoc@me.com   jimdoc01

Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:52 am (PDT)



> It also could be that the US/Europe adapter is not seated well in the receptacle and there is enough play that it sometimes connects and sometimes doesn't. I've seen this. It could have something to do with the weight of the power cord on the adapter and the plug.

Sometimes this can be resolved by using a local (i.e., European, if you're in Europe) extension cord, and plugging the adapter into that.

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Jim Saklad mailto:jimdoc@me.com

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

2.1.

Re: Read iBooks in Preview on Mac from iOS device

Posted by: "Jim Saklad" jimdoc@me.com   jimdoc01

Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:55 am (PDT)



>> I don't have an iBook to test with, but could you perhaps read it on the Mac in iBooks Author?
>
> I gather also no iBooks for a Mac. iBooks author I believe is program for assisting in writing a book.
> bob

I just looked, and discovered I was unable to load an .epub file into iBooks Author.

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Jim Saklad mailto:jimdoc@me.com

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

2.2.

Re: Read iBooks in Preview on Mac from iOS device

Posted by: "bob morin" rbmorin11@gmail.com   rbmorin2002

Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:02 am (PDT)




On Jun 15, 2012, at 10:54 AM, Jim Saklad wrote:

> >> I don't have an iBook to test with, but could you perhaps read it on the Mac in iBooks Author?
> >
> > I gather also no iBooks for a Mac. iBooks author I believe is program for assisting in writing a book.
> > bob
>
> I just looked, and discovered I was unable to load an .epub file into iBooks Author.
>

I found the same thing. Other reviewers of that program have also said that. I suspect my problem is DRM.

bob

3a.

Re: Help Please

Posted by: "Barry Austern" barryaus@fuse.net   barryaus

Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:01 am (PDT)



At 11:54 PM -0400 6/14/12, Holly Mullikin wrote:

>
>I downloaded a game from itunes for my little guy to play on my mac
>laptop but cannot figure out how to open it...it says that it will
>work for ipod, ipad and iphone but shouldn't it also work on my mac
>laptop?

No. Totally different operating systems.
--
Barry Austern
barryaus@fuse.net

4a.

Re: Help with restoring/copying media

Posted by: "Jim Saklad" jimdoc@me.com   jimdoc01

Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:01 am (PDT)



> OUCH! Disk Warrior is $99.95. If I knew that it would fix the problem, I'd consider spending the money, but...

You have a problem that the repair functions built into the operating system can't fix. The next step in *repair* is commercial programs. Disk Warrior is one of the best.

On the other hand, often it is the case that such file system damage will prevent you from *writing* to a drive/volume/partition, but not prevent you from *reading* it.

So if you don't already have one, get a disk you can copy the contents of that partition to, and do so.

Or, in the words of the error message you quoted to us, "Back up as many of your files as possible, reformat the disk, and restore your backed-up files."

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Jim Saklad mailto:jimdoc@me.com

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

4b.

Re: Help with restoring/copying media

Posted by: "N.A. Nada" whodo678@comcast.net

Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:09 am (PDT)



Good suggestions from Daly, but I would still copy what you can from the iDevice to the Mac, first, in case something else goes wrong.

You should be able to recover what you purchased from iTunes, but the other things in your iTunes library will be gone.

Either way you will have to reconstruct some of it.

On Jun 15, 2012, at 5:53 AM, Daly Jessup wrote:

On Jun 15, 2012, at 5:12 AM, Roger Harris wrote:

> So, for a moment, let's forget about the bad disk and consider how I can get all of my media from my iPad back into a new and functioning iTunes library. What will happen if I open iTunes, create a new library and then plug in my iPad? Is there a way to bring all that media into the new library? Do I need a third party workaround like Senuti?

Yep, it sounds like you do need one of those programs, unless you have MobileMe and it is still functioning. In that case, you could use Sync in the MobileMe System Pref pane and do the special procedure where you deliberately synch in just one direction. I don't recall the exact commands/path to that function because I'm on iCloud now, and it is disabled in my system.

5.

GyazMail - New Version 1.5.13 fixes bug

Posted by: "Denver Dan" denver.dan@verizon.net   denverdan22180

Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:46 am (PDT)



Howdy.

I had a problem with all of my Google Gmail accounts suddenly stopping
functioning in my GyazMail email program.

This may have been due to a bug.

Here's the blurb from the GyazMail web site with the line about this
bug.

"Fixed bug that could cause "Communication Error: Cannot connect to
host XXX using port YYY (Invalid argument)" error when an IPv6
connection fails."

I think that may have been what I was experiencing.

A new version 1.5.13 is out and for registered users is a free
download.

Denver Dan

6a.

MacPro or Tower?  Maybe in 2013

Posted by: "Denver Dan" denver.dan@verizon.net   denverdan22180

Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:13 pm (PDT)



Howdy.

Tim Cook responded to an email message about an update to the MacPro
tower line saying Apple is working on a major release but sometime in
2013.

At the recent WWDC (Apple's annual World Wide Developers Conference) in
San Francisco, a MacPro minor update was just barely mentioned but it
doesn't have either USB 3.0 or Thunderbolt ports.

Denver Dan

6b.

Re: MacPro or Tower?  Maybe in 2013

Posted by: "Barry Austern" barryaus@fuse.net   barryaus

Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:21 pm (PDT)



At 5:13 PM -0400 6/15/12, Denver Dan wrote:

>At the recent WWDC (Apple's annual World Wide Developers Conference) in
>San Francisco, a MacPro minor update was just barely mentioned but it
>doesn't have either USB 3.0 or Thunderbolt ports.

I'm sorry. Right now I have a 3-year old iMac and a 4-5 year old
MacBook Pro. I was thinking that, with Thunderbolt, next time I
needed a computer I would consolidate, something like a MBPro or even
MBAir plus a Thunderbolt monitor with all its ports. The modern
equivalent of what I really thought was a good idea when it existed,
although not all that well implemented: the PowerBook Duo. Just
think: Just disconnect one cable (two, counting the power) and the
desktop machine becomes a portable.
--
Barry Austern
barryaus@fuse.net

7a.

Is there any way to add words to Apple's Dictionary?

Posted by: "Bill B." bill501@mindspring.com   kernos501

Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:19 am (PDT)



Is there any way to add words or word sources (like en.wiktionary.org to Apple's Dictionary App?

I cannot find an obvious way (running 10.6.8). I'm wondering if there are 3rd party solutions or ways to hack plists?

TIA,

Bill

7b.

Re: Is there any way to add words to Apple's Dictionary?

Posted by: "HAL9000" jrswebhome@yahoo.com   jrswebhome

Sat Jun 16, 2012 9:00 am (PDT)



Doug's Scripts had a free script to add words a couple of years ago.

In OS X 6.8 if I misspell a word and right click, I am asked if I want to learn spelling.

In iOS 5 to add a word to your dictionary use the Shortcut part of your keyboard. Go to
Settings > General > Keyboard > Shortcut > Add New Shortcut > Phrase. Type the word in the Phrase section but do not type a shortcut. This will include the word as a correctly spelled word when you are typng.

jr

--- In macsupportcentral@yahoogroups.com, "Bill B." <bill501@...> wrote:
>
> Is there any way to add words or word sources (like en.wiktionary.org to Apple's Dictionary App?
>
> I cannot find an obvious way (running 10.6.8). I'm wondering if there are 3rd party solutions or ways to hack plists?
>
> TIA,
>
> Bill
>

8.

My bad - wet iPhone

Posted by: "i_am_willie" wilhitel@cox.net   i_am_willie

Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:37 am (PDT)



Last night in trying to get out of a boat, I fell into the lake. Unfortunately, my iPhone was in my pocket. I wiped it off and put it on the counter to dry and then when I returned home, I put it into rice in a bowl to dry.

This mishap probably voided the warranty but it expired yesterday anyway. I have a Genius Bar appointment today but not sure they are going to be able to do much.

What are my options and best course of action? Any advice other than next time, put the phone into a sealed bag before getting near water?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Recent Activity
Visit Your Group
Share Photos

Put your favorite

photos and

more online.

Yahoo! Finance

It's Now Personal

Guides, news,

advice & more.

New web site?

Drive traffic now.

Get your business

on Yahoo! search.

Need to Reply?

Click one of the "Reply" links to respond to a specific message in the Daily Digest.

Create New Topic | Visit Your Group on the Web