6/18/2012

[macsupport] Digest Number 8953

Messages In This Digest (13 Messages)

1a.
Re: New MacBook Pro Retina From: Otto Nikolaus
1b.
Re: New MacBook Pro Retina From: Otto Nikolaus
1c.
Help Please From: Holly Mullikin
1d.
Re: Help Please From: Jon Kreisler
2a.
Re: My bad - wet iPhone From: Jim Saklad
2b.
Re: My bad - wet iPhone From: Peter J. Ernst
2c.
Re: My bad - wet iPhone From: Jim Robertson
3a.
Re: MacPro or Tower?  Maybe in 2013 From: Bill Boy
4a.
Re: Mac 10.8 Mountain Lion- date & price From: N.A. Nada
4b.
Re: Mac 10.8 Mountain Lion- date & price From: Jim Saklad
5a.
Re: Is there any way to add words to Apple's Dictionary? From: Anna Larson
5b.
Re: Is there any way to add words to Apple's Dictionary? From: Bill B.
6.
Lion questions. Help needed. From: Keith

Messages

1a.

Re: New MacBook Pro Retina

Posted by: "Otto Nikolaus" otto.nikolaus@googlemail.com   nikyzf

Sun Jun 17, 2012 5:23 pm (PDT)



On 17 June 2012 21:22, Jim Saklad <jimdoc@me.com> wrote:

>
> I want my graphical elements (fonts, icons, images) to look finer-grained,
> smoother, without jaggies, even when I increase font size as needed.
>

Yes, I think this is another aspect of the increased res.

Otto

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

1b.

Re: New MacBook Pro Retina

Posted by: "Otto Nikolaus" otto.nikolaus@googlemail.com   nikyzf

Sun Jun 17, 2012 5:27 pm (PDT)



On 17 June 2012 21:41, Bill B. <bill501@mindspring.com> wrote:

>
> Perhaps. My eyes are quite old.
>

In which case you probably wear glasses? If you've seen an iPhone 4 vs 3GS
you will know what we mean.

(I'm 61 and need glasses for reading, iPhone, and computer.)

Otto

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

1c.

Help Please

Posted by: "Holly Mullikin" mullikins@insightbb.com   msholly202

Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:48 pm (PDT)




I have a question...hope someone can help me out here.

I am trying to download a chat site for mac but keep getting a "download error occurred" message. I am thinking I may need an upgrade called Adobe AIR 3. Does anyone know where I would purchase this and how much? Also where on my mac pro can I go to find out what I have right now and what version of flash I have?
Thank You for your help in advance!

Holly

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

1d.

Re: Help Please

Posted by: "Jon Kreisler" jonkreisler@gmail.com   jonkreisler

Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:55 am (PDT)



You can download the latest version of Adobe Air (3.3) here:
http://get.adobe.com/air/
To find out the version of Flash player you have, go to this web page:
http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/find-version-flash-player.html

Jon

On Mon, Jun 18, 2012 at 12:48 AM, Holly Mullikin <mullikins@insightbb.com>wrote:

> **
>
>
>
> I have a question...hope someone can help me out here.
>
> I am trying to download a chat site for mac but keep getting a "download
> error occurred" message. I am thinking I may need an upgrade called Adobe
> AIR 3. Does anyone know where I would purchase this and how much? Also
> where on my mac pro can I go to find out what I have right now and what
> version of flash I have?
> Thank You for your help in advance!
>
> Holly
>
> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>
>
>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

2a.

Re: My bad - wet iPhone

Posted by: "Jim Saklad" jimdoc@me.com   jimdoc01

Sun Jun 17, 2012 5:30 pm (PDT)



> What I don't get about the Genius Bar sometimes is how they decide to give free replacements and when not to. My wife dropped her iPhone in a deep puddle. Total water damage. I took it to the Bar and the fellow replaced it saying "everyone gets one". Weird thing about it, this wasn't her first time. She had another before that one that had water damage and they made us pay for it.
> Pete

One variable is: no extended warranty versus "old" Applecare warranty versus "new" Applecare plus warranty.

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Jim Saklad mailto:jimdoc@me.com

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

2b.

Re: My bad - wet iPhone

Posted by: "Peter J. Ernst" pete_ernst@comcast.net

Sun Jun 17, 2012 6:21 pm (PDT)



We had no version of Applecare. That I know for sure.

Pete

On Jun 17, 2012, at 5:30 PM, Jim Saklad wrote:

>> What I don't get about the Genius Bar sometimes is how they decide to give free replacements and when not to. My wife dropped her iPhone in a deep puddle. Total water damage. I took it to the Bar and the fellow replaced it saying "everyone gets one". Weird thing about it, this wasn't her first time. She had another before that one that had water damage and they made us pay for it.
>> Pete
>
> One variable is: no extended warranty versus "old" Applecare warranty versus "new" Applecare plus warranty.
>
> --
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> Jim Saklad mailto:jimdoc@me.com
>
>

2c.

Re: My bad - wet iPhone

Posted by: "Jim Robertson" jamesrob@sonic.net   jamesrob328i

Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:46 pm (PDT)





On Jun 17, 2012, at 17:30, Jim Saklad <jimdoc@me.com> wrote:

> One variable is: no extended warranty versus "old" Applecare warranty versus "new" Applecare plus warranty

Another is the pending intro of a new version of the phone and some unsold inventory of the previous version.

My son shattered the glass on his iPhone 4's screen. The 4s was about to be introduced. My son's warranty was expired, but the genius at the NYC glass cube replaced it with a refurb with no hesitation whatsoever.
3a.

Re: MacPro or Tower?  Maybe in 2013

Posted by: "Bill Boy" billboy@refindedvideo.com   billmboy

Sun Jun 17, 2012 5:57 pm (PDT)



I'm not so sure he means 2013, it could mean the end of there fiscal year in september.

Bill

On Jun 15, 2012, at 2:13 PM, Denver Dan wrote:

> Tim Cook responded to an email message about an update to the MacPro
> tower line saying Apple is working on a major release but sometime in
> 2013.

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

4a.

Re: Mac 10.8 Mountain Lion- date & price

Posted by: "N.A. Nada" whodo678@comcast.net

Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:45 pm (PDT)



Terry,

And where did you see that the screen res is not adjustable as with all past and current Macs?

Brent

On Jun 17, 2012, at 12:48 PM, Terry Pogue wrote:

I do not like not being able to change the screen res. I'll never be able to see the icons. Too tiny for my old eyes. And I watch movies on my computers so even tho the screen should be sharper, no optical drive so thats inconvenient.
Terry

Sent from my iPadHD

4b.

Re: Mac 10.8 Mountain Lion- date & price

Posted by: "Jim Saklad" jimdoc@me.com   jimdoc01

Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:31 am (PDT)



>> I do not like not being able to change the screen res. I'll never be able to see the icons. Too tiny for my old eyes. And I watch movies on my computers so even tho the screen should be sharper, no optical drive so thats inconvenient.
>> Terry
>
> And where did you see that the screen res is not adjustable as with all past and current Macs?
> Brent

And further, the part of a portable computer MOST likely to fail over time (sometimes even arrive from the factory not working) is the optical drive. I would MUCH rather have an external one, that, if I travel with it, I can pack especially well....

5a.

Re: Is there any way to add words to Apple's Dictionary?

Posted by: "Anna Larson" pix@maksimo.de   yovard@ymail.com

Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:17 am (PDT)




On 18.06.2012, at 00:30, Anna Larson wrote:

>
> I used to use Dictionary Editor 1.3. (...) No Unicode support

I got mixed up here. It's Dictionary Cleaner that has no Unicode support. -- I haven't used them both for a long time. Many of my old imported entries in Dictionary Editor are now displayed incorrectly. I guess it's time for me to do some cleaning and see if Dictionary Editor still works under Lion.

Anna

--------------
On 16.06.2012, at 17:18, Bill B. wrote:

>> Is there any way to add words or word sources (like en.wiktionary.org to Apple's Dictionary App?
>>
>> I cannot find an obvious way (running 10.6.8). I'm wondering if there are 3rd party solutions or ways to hack plists?

5b.

Re: Is there any way to add words to Apple's Dictionary?

Posted by: "Bill B." bill501@mindspring.com   kernos501

Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:46 am (PDT)



At 9:17 AM +0200 6/18/12, Anna Larson wrote:
>>
>> I used to use Dictionary Editor 1.3. (...) No Unicode support
>
>I got mixed up here. It¹s Dictionary Cleaner that has no Unicode support. -- I haven¹t used them both for a long time. Many of my old imported entries in Dictionary Editor are now displayed incorrectly. I guess it¹s time for me to do some cleaning and see if Dictionary Editor still works under >Lion.

Thanks Anna,

I'm not interesting in adding words for spelling, but words to dictionaries with definitions. I'd like a Medical dictionary, a Slang dictionary, a legal dictionary...

I am playing with the Apple Dictionary.dictionary contents in Root/Library/Dictionaries/, but think it will be too complicated to modify.

This al started when I wanted to look up the word "squicky" and it was in none of the OS X dictionaries. I found it online, but could not find anyway to get it into the integrated dictionaries.

Bill

6.

Lion questions. Help needed.

Posted by: "Keith" keith_w@dslextreme.com   keith9600

Mon Jun 18, 2012 5:28 am (PDT)



keith whaley here:
Mac OS 10.7.3 Lion
New iMac / mid-2011 refurb

I need some help with Lion. It is not acting as I'd expect. Way too different from 10.6.8!

I have my old iMac (Mid 2007) and this new one side by side.
Before I pass off the older one to my son, I'm taking some stuff off.
Most of it was transferred by the Geek Squad, but I'm transferring odds'n'ends by way of a memory stick.

Problem statement:
Put memory stick in USB2 port on the older computer, copied some stuff over to it.
Put the memory stick in the new computer, it shows up on the desktop. I do a "Get Info" on it and it says the stick has approx. 2/3 of it's 32 GB used, the rest is free. That confirms the data was transferred.

Okay, my problem is, there seems to be nothing I can do to view what's ON that memory stick!
Double clicking on it brings up a window with nothing in it. No list of files as I had expected.

I tried other methods I used to use, to get it to list what's on it, and no success.

Who has an idea why? How might I persuade it to list it's own contents?

Thanks, keith

Recent Activity
Visit Your Group
Yahoo! Finance

It's Now Personal

Guides, news,

advice & more.

Ads on Yahoo!

Learn more now.

Reach customers

searching for you.

Yahoo! Groups

Parenting Zone

Tips for a happy,

healthy home

Need to Reply?

Click one of the "Reply" links to respond to a specific message in the Daily Digest.

Create New Topic | Visit Your Group on the Web