6/17/2012

[macsupport] Digest Number 8951

Messages In This Digest (18 Messages)

1a.
Re: My bad - wet iPhone From: Barry Austern
1b.
Re: My bad - wet iPhone From: Denver Dan
1c.
Re: My bad - wet iPhone From: D. Brett Woods
1d.
Re: My bad - wet iPhone From: Jim Saklad
2a.
Videos on Safari with flash jumpy From: joan05061
2b.
Re: Videos on Safari with flash jumpy From: HAL9000
2c.
Re: Videos on Safari with flash jumpy From: N.A. Nada
2d.
Re: Videos on Safari with flash jumpy From: Otto Nikolaus
2e.
Re: Videos on Safari with flash jumpy From: Denver Dan
3a.
iMovie won't import movies From: Dane Robison
3b.
Re: iMovie won't import movies From: Rex Neff
3c.
Re: iMovie won't import movies From: Dane Robison
4a.
Re: Help with restoring/copying media From: Roger Harris
5a.
Mac 10.8 Mountain Lion- date & price From: Denver Dan
5b.
Re: Mac 10.8 Mountain Lion- date & price From: Otto Nikolaus
6.
Speed Improvement for Adobe LightRoom 4.1 From: LouisD
7a.
New MacBook Pro Retina From: Denver Dan
7b.
Re: New MacBook Pro Retina From: Bill Boulware

Messages

1a.

Re: My bad - wet iPhone

Posted by: "Barry Austern" barryaus@fuse.net   barryaus

Sat Jun 16, 2012 9:23 am (PDT)



At 3:37 PM +0000 6/16/12, i_am_willie wrote:

>
>
>Last night in trying to get out of a boat, I fell into the lake.
>Unfortunately, my iPhone was in my pocket. I wiped it off and put it
>on the counter to dry and then when I returned home, I put it into
>rice in a bowl to dry.
>
>This mishap probably voided the warranty but it expired yesterday
>anyway. I have a Genius Bar appointment today but not sure they are
>going to be able to do much.

There is something that they can look at down the hole where the ear
buds are that changes color when it is wet. They'll probably tell
you that they are sorry, but they do not cover water damage, even if
it still were under warranty. However, check with your household
insurance. They might cover it. (Depending on your deductible, of
course, it might not be worth it.)

>What are my options and best course of action? Any advice other than
>next time, put the phone into a sealed bag before getting near water?

I'd use something stronger than rice to desiccate it. Try silica gel,
anhydrous sodium sulfate or even Phosphorus Pentoxide, if you can get
a hold of them. Do you have a friend who is a chemist or works in a
lab? There is a device called a desiccator. On the bottom you put the
drying chemical and there is a shelf above it on which you put what
you want dried. You seal the top and hook it to a vacuum. A couple of
days in that and (we hope) your phone will be okay.
--
Barry Austern
barryaus@fuse.net

1b.

Re: My bad - wet iPhone

Posted by: "Denver Dan" denver.dan@verizon.net   denverdan22180

Sat Jun 16, 2012 1:45 pm (PDT)



Howdy.

First of all the iPhone has a little thingee that lets the techs know
if it's been submerged in water.

I guess it's not usually necessary to have a similar thingee on
people. :-)

Hope you are OK but I bet the iPhone is fried.

Denver Dan

On Sat, 16 Jun 2012 15:37:09 +0000, i_am_willie wrote:
> Last night in trying to get out of a boat, I fell into the lake.
> Unfortunately, my iPhone was in my pocket. I wiped it off and put it
> on the counter to dry and then when I returned home, I put it into
> rice in a bowl to dry.
>
> This mishap probably voided the warranty but it expired yesterday
> anyway. I have a Genius Bar appointment today but not sure they are
> going to be able to do much.
>
> What are my options and best course of action? Any advice other than
> next time, put the phone into a sealed bag before getting near water?
>
> Thanks for any suggestions.

1c.

Re: My bad - wet iPhone

Posted by: "D. Brett Woods" brettlyw@mac.com   brettlyw

Sat Jun 16, 2012 2:04 pm (PDT)



I have had water damage to the iPhone and they replaced it. They did not know it was water damaged.

On Jun 16, 2012, at 2:45 PM, Denver Dan wrote:

> Howdy.
>
> First of all the iPhone has a little thingee that lets the techs know
> if it's been submerged in water.
>
> I guess it's not usually necessary to have a similar thingee on
> people. :-)
>
> Hope you are OK but I bet the iPhone is fried.
>
> Denver Dan
>
> On Sat, 16 Jun 2012 15:37:09 +0000, i_am_willie wrote:
> > Last night in trying to get out of a boat, I fell into the lake.
> > Unfortunately, my iPhone was in my pocket. I wiped it off and put it
> > on the counter to dry and then when I returned home, I put it into
> > rice in a bowl to dry.
> >
> > This mishap probably voided the warranty but it expired yesterday
> > anyway. I have a Genius Bar appointment today but not sure they are
> > going to be able to do much.
> >
> > What are my options and best course of action? Any advice other than
> > next time, put the phone into a sealed bag before getting near water?
> >
> > Thanks for any suggestions.
>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

1d.

Re: My bad - wet iPhone

Posted by: "Jim Saklad" jimdoc@me.com   jimdoc01

Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:10 pm (PDT)



> I have had water damage to the iPhone and they replaced it. They did not know it was water damaged.

But you did know. So you cheated Apple.

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Jim Saklad mailto:jimdoc@me.com

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

2a.

Videos on Safari with flash jumpy

Posted by: "joan05061" jsax@me.com   joan05061

Sat Jun 16, 2012 12:14 pm (PDT)



For some reason in the past week, videos on the web are so jumpy I can't understand them I looked at my Activity Monitor (running Lion 10.7.4 on an iMac 2.66 GHz Core 2 Duo) and it has a rather ominous process labelled "kernel_task" is taking up 703 MB of memory. I have sneaking suspicion that is the problem, but of course the option of quitting the process is grayed out. I have 8 GB RAM, so is the "kernel-task" the likely problem and what is it? Or is it the Flash extension?

TIA,

Joan

2b.

Re: Videos on Safari with flash jumpy

Posted by: "HAL9000" jrswebhome@yahoo.com   jrswebhome

Sat Jun 16, 2012 12:54 pm (PDT)



Search for "kernel_task" in Google. There are several culprits. Here is from one discussion:

"Ultimately there is not much you can do to affect how kernel_task runs and manages the system. If you see the kernel_task process taking up a large amount of RAM on your system, there are a few options to reduce the RAM other than restarting your system. The first is to disable any hardware devices you may have attached to your system, such as external monitors, hard drives, or third-party audio or video interfaces. In addition, you can disable services like Wi-Fi and Bluetooth if you are not using them, and switch to using discrete graphics instead of the onboard GPU. The second thing you can do is quit programs and system services that use kernel extensions, such as the aforementioned Photo Booth, or graphics processing programs and games, especially if you are running with the integrated graphics card."

jr

--- In macsupportcentral@yahoogroups.com, "joan05061" <jsax@...> wrote:
>
> For some reason in the past week, videos on the web are so jumpy I can't understand them I looked at my Activity Monitor (running Lion 10.7.4 on an iMac 2.66 GHz Core 2 Duo) and it has a rather ominous process labelled "kernel_task" is taking up 703 MB of memory. I have sneaking suspicion that is the problem, but of course the option of quitting the process is grayed out. I have 8 GB RAM, so is the "kernel-task" the likely problem and what is it? Or is it the Flash extension?
>
> TIA,
>
> Joan
>

2c.

Re: Videos on Safari with flash jumpy

Posted by: "N.A. Nada" whodo678@comcast.net

Sat Jun 16, 2012 2:35 pm (PDT)



As I understand it, kernel_task is what is behind the OS, so if the Mac is on so is kernel_task.

On Jun 16, 2012, at 12:14 PM, joan05061 wrote:

For some reason in the past week, videos on the web are so jumpy I can't understand them I looked at my Activity Monitor (running Lion 10.7.4 on an iMac 2.66 GHz Core 2 Duo) and it has a rather ominous process labelled "kernel_task" is taking up 703 MB of memory. I have sneaking suspicion that is the problem, but of course the option of quitting the process is grayed out. I have 8 GB RAM, so is the "kernel-task" the likely problem and what is it? Or is it the Flash extension?

TIA,

Joan

2d.

Re: Videos on Safari with flash jumpy

Posted by: "Otto Nikolaus" otto.nikolaus@googlemail.com   nikyzf

Sat Jun 16, 2012 5:26 pm (PDT)



RAM (memory) usage is unlikely to be the issue. What does Activity Monitor
tell you about *CPU* (click on the column and then again if highest is not
already at the top)?

Otto

On 16 June 2012 20:14, joan05061 <jsax@me.com> wrote:

> For some reason in the past week, videos on the web are so jumpy I can't
> understand them I looked at my Activity Monitor (running Lion 10.7.4 on an
> iMac 2.66 GHz Core 2 Duo) and it has a rather ominous process labelled
> "kernel_task" is taking up 703 MB of memory. I have sneaking suspicion that
> is the problem, but of course the option of quitting the process is grayed
> out. I have 8 GB RAM, so is the "kernel-task" the likely problem and what
> is it? Or is it the Flash extension?
>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

2e.

Re: Videos on Safari with flash jumpy

Posted by: "Denver Dan" denver.dan@verizon.net   denverdan22180

Sat Jun 16, 2012 5:27 pm (PDT)



Very good question.

Here's a good explanation of kernel-task.

<http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_7-20091848-263/kernel-task-taking-up-ram-in-os-x/>

!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!

iSent from iDan's iPad

On Jun 16, 2012, at 5:35 PM, "N.A. Nada" <whodo678@comcast.net> wrote:

> As I understand it, kernel_task is what is behind the OS, so if the Mac is on so is kernel_task.
>
> On Jun 16, 2012, at 12:14 PM, joan05061 wrote:
>
> For some reason in the past week, videos on the web are so jumpy I can't understand them I looked at my Activity Monitor (running Lion 10.7.4 on an iMac 2.66 GHz Core 2 Duo) and it has a rather ominous process labelled "kernel_task" is taking up 703 MB of memory. I have sneaking suspicion that is the problem, but of course the option of quitting the process is grayed out. I have 8 GB RAM, so is the "kernel-task" the likely problem and what is it? Or is it the Flash extension?
>
> TIA,
>
> Joan
>
>
>
>
>
> ------------------------------------
>
> Group FAQ:
> <http://www.macsupportcentral.com/policies/>
>
> Yahoo! Groups Links
>
>
>

3a.

iMovie won't import movies

Posted by: "Dane Robison" macdane@mac.com   macdane1

Sat Jun 16, 2012 4:54 pm (PDT)



I've done this plenty of times, the same way and on the same machine�but now it won't work!

After using Quicktime Player to record a video via the built-in camera on my MacBook Pro, I try to import it to iMovie '09: File > Import > Movies� I then select the movie and get the following message:

"Copy Failed. This file could not be copied: <path to movie> (-43)"

15" MacBook Pro, 2.2 GHz Core i7, 16GB RAM, plenty of HD space, OS X 10.7.4

Ideas? Why is iMovie on my Mac suddenly refusing to import a movie made on my Mac?

Thanks!
Dane
3b.

Re: iMovie won't import movies

Posted by: "Rex Neff" rn@essex1.com   ian000

Sat Jun 16, 2012 5:47 pm (PDT)



you might try trashing the iMovie .plist file.

Not sure that will work, but worth a try.

rn

On Jun 16, 2012, at 6:54 PM, Dane Robison wrote:

I've done this plenty of times, the same way and on the same machine�but now it won't work!

After using Quicktime Player to record a video via the built-in camera on my MacBook Pro, I try to import it to iMovie '09: File > Import > Movies� I then select the movie and get the following message:

"Copy Failed. This file could not be copied: <path to movie> (-43)"

15" MacBook Pro, 2.2 GHz Core i7, 16GB RAM, plenty of HD space, OS X 10.7.4

Ideas? Why is iMovie on my Mac suddenly refusing to import a movie made on my Mac?

Thanks!
Dane

------------------------------------

Group FAQ:
<http://www.macsupportcentral.com/policies/>

Yahoo! Groups Links

3c.

Re: iMovie won't import movies

Posted by: "Dane Robison" macdane@mac.com   macdane1

Sat Jun 16, 2012 6:20 pm (PDT)



Just tried it�same problem.

On Jun 16, 2012, at 8:47 PM, Rex Neff wrote:

> you might try trashing the iMovie .plist file.
>
> Not sure that will work, but worth a try.
>
> rn
>
> On Jun 16, 2012, at 6:54 PM, Dane Robison wrote:
>
>> I've done this plenty of times, the same way and on the same machine�but now it won't work!
>>
>> After using Quicktime Player to record a video via the built-in camera on my MacBook Pro, I try to import it to iMovie '09: File > Import > Movies� I then select the movie and get the following message:
>>
>> "Copy Failed. This file could not be copied: <path to movie> (-43)"
>>
>> 15" MacBook Pro, 2.2 GHz Core i7, 16GB RAM, plenty of HD space, OS X 10.7.4
>>
>> Ideas? Why is iMovie on my Mac suddenly refusing to import a movie made on my Mac?
>>
>> Thanks!
>> Dane

4a.

Re: Help with restoring/copying media

Posted by: "Roger Harris" skunktown@gmail.com   robo_booger

Sat Jun 16, 2012 5:07 pm (PDT)



Daly, N.A., and Jim,

Thanks for your advice. I bought Senuti ($18.99) and it worked like a champ - got everything back. I spent some time cleaning things up too and am in good shape now. One thing that was a little odd was restoring my apps. They all restored fine - but I had to reorganize them into their folders. That took a while.

I'm just heading out on a week long trip, so when I get back, I'll see what I can do with the culprit HD. Needless to say, I AM backing it all up now.

Roger

--- In macsupportcentral@yahoogroups.com, "N.A. Nada" <whodo678@...> wrote:
>
> Good suggestions from Daly, but I would still copy what you can from the iDevice to the Mac, first, in case something else goes wrong.
>
> You should be able to recover what you purchased from iTunes, but the other things in your iTunes library will be gone.
>
> Either way you will have to reconstruct some of it.
>
>
> On Jun 15, 2012, at 5:53 AM, Daly Jessup wrote:
>
>
> On Jun 15, 2012, at 5:12 AM, Roger Harris wrote:
>
> > So, for a moment, let's forget about the bad disk and consider how I can get all of my media from my iPad back into a new and functioning iTunes library. What will happen if I open iTunes, create a new library and then plug in my iPad? Is there a way to bring all that media into the new library? Do I need a third party workaround like Senuti?
>
> Yep, it sounds like you do need one of those programs, unless you have MobileMe and it is still functioning. In that case, you could use Sync in the MobileMe System Pref pane and do the special procedure where you deliberately synch in just one direction. I don't recall the exact commands/path to that function because I'm on iCloud now, and it is disabled in my system.
>

5a.

Mac 10.8 Mountain Lion- date & price

Posted by: "Denver Dan" denver.dan@verizon.net   denverdan22180

Sat Jun 16, 2012 5:47 pm (PDT)



Howdy.

Just read that Mac OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion should ship in July 2012 and cost $19.95.

It should also return the Save As feature but perhaps as an optional setting.

!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!

iSent from iDan's iPad
5b.

Re: Mac 10.8 Mountain Lion- date & price

Posted by: "Otto Nikolaus" otto.nikolaus@googlemail.com   nikyzf

Sun Jun 17, 2012 3:43 am (PDT)



Yes, and if you buy a new Mac with 10.7 now, you will get a free upgrade to
10.8.

I must say the new MacBook Pros with flash memory and Retina display are
very tempting. :)

Otto

On 17 June 2012 01:47, Denver Dan <denver.dan@verizon.net> wrote:

> Howdy.
>
> Just read that Mac OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion should ship in July 2012 and
> cost $19.95.
>
> It should also return the Save As feature but perhaps as an optional
> setting.
>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

6.

Speed Improvement for Adobe LightRoom 4.1

Posted by: "LouisD" lou@loudina.com   ldina

Sat Jun 16, 2012 7:02 pm (PDT)



I wanted to share my experience with Adobe LightRoom v4, which has a earned reputation for being sluggish, especially compared to LR3.6 (which was quite snappy). While I believe the bulk of the problems are related to coding, memory leaks, cache handling, etc, many power users have suggested that sluggish performance of LR4 was heavily impacted by HD read/write operations, even on machines with high clock speeds and mega memory.

I've been running LR4 on a Mac Pro (v4.1 - 2009) with 8-cores, 2.26GHz processor, 16GB RAM, an SSD drive for O/S and Apps, and standard 7200 rpm HDDs with plenty of free space. I found LR4 to be sluggish and frustrating. My machine isn't a total screamer, but it's not a dog either. I pity the people trying to use LR4 on a really slow machine.

I just finished installing a dual drive RAID "0" array in Bays 2 & 3 of my Mac Pro. I used two Hitachi, 2TB, 7200 rpm, 64 MB cache drives, giving me 4TB total drive space dedicated to data (I have a LARGE photo library and a lot of music, and wanted the extra drive space). I also set up a separate Scratch drive in Bay 4 for Photoshop and LR scratch/image cache (which was in place before installing the RAID).

The RAID made a significant difference in the responsiveness of LR4. It is MUCH faster than before. Lag time has all but disappeared and the controls run smoothly, especially compared to the previous constipated performance. I used SpeedTools to benchmark my average read/write speed compared to my fastest single internal HDD, and the RAID is between 2.5X and 3.5X faster. I didn't expect that much of a speed increase, but I am not complaining. I ran a bunch of different tests with different file sizes and cache/asynch settings, which is why there is a range. I'm not sure if the 'real life' performance boost is that much or not. The most important benchmark to me is that LR4 is now eminently usable, whereas it was frustrating and sluggish before.

I still think Adobe has work to do on LR4 (Adobe Camera RAW is plenty fast, as is Photoshop...especially CS6) but disk speed does seem to have a significant impact on LightRoom 4.1 performance. Just thought I'd pass it along.

Lou Dina

7a.

New MacBook Pro Retina

Posted by: "Denver Dan" denver.dan@verizon.net   denverdan22180

Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:42 am (PDT)



Howdy.

I just read Otto's comment about the new MacBook Pro laptop (I think it was just a bit of the British version of a drool :-) ). It prompted me to go look at the tech specs.

The TWO Thunderbolt ports AND adapters included strike me more than anything else.

MagSafe 2 power port
Two Thunderbolt ports (up to 10 Gbps)
Two USB 3 ports (up to 5 Gbps)
HDMI port
Headphone port
SDXC card slot
Apple Thunderbolt to Gigabit Ethernet Adapter (sold separately)
Apple Thunderbolt to FireWire Adapter (sold separately, available July)

No dedicated Ethernet port.

So I wonder what the good and the bad of that might be? Could it. Be cheaper to make by standardizing on one port technology?

Does the purchaser have to buy the adapter separately to have Ethernet?

What is a MagSafe 2 power port? The "2" part?

!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!¡!

iSent from iDan's iPad

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

7b.

Re: New MacBook Pro Retina

Posted by: "Bill Boulware" bill.boulware@gmail.com   boulware0224

Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:52 am (PDT)



I haven't read the specs on "Magsafe 2" yet but they are even selling a
Magsafe to Magsafe 2 adapter so it has changed.

The new Airport Express also looks like a white version of the newer Apple
TV now as well

And yes you have to buy the ethernet adapter just like on the Air models -
I think it is more of an "Ethernet is too big to fit in the case" than a
cost cutting or board measure... The dimensions aren't big enough for an
Ethernet port...

And while I am sure the Retina Display MB Pro is stunning it is too rich
for me - base price of $2,199 - I think the one I spec'd was $2,899 + tax
and adapters easily over $3,000 and I have a 13" 2010 Air and a 11" 2011
Air that I rarely use so adding a $3,000 15" paperweight with a brilliant
display isn't for me right now.

However, if they happen to put out an iMac with a Retina Display, I might
have to look into a loan (if the cost difference between 15" Retina and 15"
standard is ~$400, I'm assuming 27" is ~$700 ;-).

On Sun, Jun 17, 2012 at 11:42 AM, Denver Dan <denver.dan@verizon.net> wrote:

> **
>
>
> Howdy.
>
> I just read Otto's comment about the new MacBook Pro laptop (I think it
> was just a bit of the British version of a drool :-) ). It prompted me to
> go look at the tech specs.
>
> The TWO Thunderbolt ports AND adapters included strike me more than
> anything else.
>
> MagSafe 2 power port
> Two Thunderbolt ports (up to 10 Gbps)
> Two USB 3 ports (up to 5 Gbps)
> HDMI port
> Headphone port
> SDXC card slot
> Apple Thunderbolt to Gigabit Ethernet Adapter (sold separately)
> Apple Thunderbolt to FireWire Adapter (sold separately, available July)
>
> No dedicated Ethernet port.
>
> So I wonder what the good and the bad of that might be? Could it. Be
> cheaper to make by standardizing on one port technology?
>
> Does the purchaser have to buy the adapter separately to have Ethernet?
>
> What is a MagSafe 2 power port? The "2" part?
>
>
> !�!�!�!�!�!�!�!�!�!�!�!�!�!�!�!�!�!�!�!�!�!�!�!�!�!�!�!�!�!�!�!�!�!�!�!�!�!�!�!�!�!�!�!�!�!�!�!�!�!�!�!�!�!�!�!�!�!�!�!�!�!�!�!�!�!�!�!
>
> iSent from iDan's iPad
>
> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>
>
>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Recent Activity
Visit Your Group
Need traffic?

Drive customers

With search ads

on Yahoo!

Share Photos

Put your favorite

photos and

more online.

Yahoo! Finance

It's Now Personal

Guides, news,

advice & more.

Need to Reply?

Click one of the "Reply" links to respond to a specific message in the Daily Digest.

Create New Topic | Visit Your Group on the Web