6/29/2012

[macsupport] Digest Number 8969

13 New Messages
Digest #8969
2a
Re: DVD questions X2 Please help by "Denver Dan" denverdan22180
2c
Re: DVD questions X2 Please help by "Daly Jessup" dalyjessup
2d
3b
Re: YASU Error Message - What is this? by "Denver Dan" denverdan22180
3d
Re: YASU Error Message - What is this? by "Dane Robison" macdane1
3f
Re: YASU Error Message - What is this? by "Dane Robison" macdane1
4a
Safari address box disappeared! by "Marilu" greenmagpies
4b
Re: Safari address box disappeared! by "Jim Saklad" jimdoc01

Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:19 am (PDT) . Posted by: "Otto Nikolaus" nikyzf
I thought ethernet would be used automatically if available? Why would
anyone not want that to be the case?

Otto

On 28 June 2012 15:20, Denver Dan <denver.dan@verizon.net> wrote:

> Howdy.
>
> A good question and an easy but perhaps not obvious answer.
>
> Ethernet or WiFi?
>
> You Mac has a place where network services are shown. Go to System
> Preferences > Network panel.
>
> On left side of Network panel is a list of network services. The items
> you see here depend on what your Mac model has for networking. You
> should see:
>
> Ethernet
> Wi-Fi
> FireWire
>
> Note that "Wi-Fi" is a recent term change and earlier OS X version
> would show the same thing as AirPort.
>
> The MacPro tower has two Ethernet ports so you would see Ethernet 1 and
> Ethernet 2 on a MacPro tower.
>
> This list of services is also a pecking or priority order. The service
> listed at the top of the list is what your Mac tries first for a
> network.
>
> In recent versions of Mac OS X, you can change the pecking order by
> using the Gear icon & the Set Service Order command. You would need to
> unlock and Authenticate first.
>
> Also in recent Mac OS X versions the pecking order will automatically
> change depending on what you turn on. For example, if you plug into
> Ethernet and then turn WiFi/AirPort off the Ethernet service should
> move to the top of the Service list.
>
> - - - - -
>
> A couple of tricks. If you click the Wi-Fi (AirPort) service and then
> check the box at right named Show Wi-Fi status in Menu bar, the
> Wi-Fi/AirPort menu appears on Menu bar at top right. Looks like a fan
> or radio waves propagating upward. You can use this menu to turn Wi-Fi
> on and off in a click. If you connect to Ethernet and turn Wi-Fi off
> you know you are linked over Ethernet.
>
> In the Services pane of Network panel, an active service will have a
> green bullet next to the service name. Red bullet means off or not
> connected. A yellow bullet means there may be a problem which is
> usually connected to an IP address from a router.
>
> I think you could also create a Location in the Network panel. Or more
> than one Location. Location also means "method of connection" and not
> just a physical location. When you do this you should see a new
> Locations menu/command appear under the Apple menu which you can use
> for quick access to make this change. One Location could be for WiFi,
> another for Ethernet, a third for Starbucks, a fourth for some kind of
> VPN connection.
>
> Most folks on a home network don't need to use Locations, however, but
> it may be worth exploring as a convenience.
>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:18 am (PDT) . Posted by: "Denver Dan" denverdan22180
Howdy.

I didn't realize that Apple has discontinued iDVD with the introduction
of Mac OS X 10.7 Lion.

You might be able to find it at Amazon or eBay as part of an older
iLife box.

There are other programs similar to iDVD.

I used Roxio Toast for most burning projects.

I think there are some freeware dvd burning programs but I don't have
experience with them.

Any suggestions from group members??

Denver Dan

On Thu, 28 Jun 2012 16:31:20 +0000, titnaw wrote:
> Thanks i made a second copy and yes this copy works on my Mac,
> THANK YOU for your help. I never knew about IMovies or IDVD.
> It looks like I have to buy IDVD is that correct. What I want to do
> now is to copy this disk I made.
> Thanks
> Titnaw

Thu Jun 28, 2012 4:40 pm (PDT) . Posted by: "titnaw" titnaw
Thanks I will look on ebay
Also if any one in the group has advise on freeware DVD burner. please share with us
Thanks to all
Titnaw

--- In macsupportcentral@yahoogroups.com, Denver Dan <denver.dan@...> wrote:
>
> Howdy.
>
> I didn't realize that Apple has discontinued iDVD with the introduction
> of Mac OS X 10.7 Lion.
>
> You might be able to find it at Amazon or eBay as part of an older
> iLife box.
>
> There are other programs similar to iDVD.
>
> I used Roxio Toast for most burning projects.
>
> I think there are some freeware dvd burning programs but I don't have
> experience with them.
>
> Any suggestions from group members??
>
> Denver Dan
>
>
> On Thu, 28 Jun 2012 16:31:20 +0000, titnaw wrote:
> > Thanks i made a second copy and yes this copy works on my Mac,
> > THANK YOU for your help. I never knew about IMovies or IDVD.
> > It looks like I have to buy IDVD is that correct. What I want to do
> > now is to copy this disk I made.
> > Thanks
> > Titnaw
>

Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:28 pm (PDT) . Posted by: "Daly Jessup" dalyjessup

On Jun 28, 2012, at 4:34 PM, titnaw wrote:

> Thanks I will look on ebay
> Also if any one in the group has advise on freeware DVD burner. please share with us

Well, you can always make a disk image of the DVD in Disk Utility, and burn the image from there, for free.

Daly

Fri Jun 29, 2012 5:23 am (PDT) . Posted by: "T Hopkins" todhop
On Jun 28, 2012, at 7:34 PM, titnaw wrote:
> Thanks I will look on ebay
> Also if any one in the group has advise on freeware DVD burner.
>
There are several. "Burn" is one that I've used. Just search using "freeware" or "open source." Mac OS has Disk Utility, which will make "images" from which you can make copies. You can also make a "Burn Folder." Finder.... Edit... New Burn Folder. And there's iDVD for making authored DVDs.

Roxio Toast "lite" versions are generally included with any retail burn hardware so probably easy to get via Craigslist or Freecycle. While I don't like the Windows version of Roxio, I do like Toast a lot. An old "lite" version is all most people need as long as it is compatible with your OS version.

As others have pointed out, there are several issues that one needs to understand when making "DVDs." The most important is that a data DVD and a "DVD-Video" are two very different beasts. While a proper DVD-video is cross platform, data DVDs come in many forms, some cross-platform and some not. For instance, OSX "Burn Folders" do NOT make cross-platform discs. At least not by default.

Cheers,
tod

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:25 pm (PDT) . Posted by: "LouisD" ldina
I use YASU every week or so to clean up my computer (and have YASU checkboxes set per Randy's OSX Maint & Troubleshooting website).

I got an error message after running YASU and looked at the log. I've only included a part of the log, with the two error messages set between lines below to save searching. These messages are in the "Remove System Cache" and "Remove Local Cache" routines. It says the resource was busy, which doesn't sound nasty, but I haven't gotten these error messages before. After running YASU and getting this error message, I ran it again right after the computer restarted, but this time there was no error.

I have been playing with Applescripts lately, so I don't know if that leaves something active in the background. I also installed a dual drive internal RAID-0 recently. I don't know if they might have an impact. I'm running OSX 10.6.8.

Just want to know what's going on and take appropriate action, if required.

Thx,

Lou

=== Thursday, June 28, 2012 8:47:36 PM : REMOVE SYSTEM CACHE ===

rm -rf /private/tmp/*
rm -rf /private/var/tmp/*
chown root:admin /
touch /System/Library/Extensions
rm -rf /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/Extensions.mkext
rm -rf /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/kernelcache*
rm -rf /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.Components*
rm -rf /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.IntlData*
rm -rf /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.bootstamps/*
rm -rf /private/var/folders/*/*/-Caches-/com.apple.IntlData*

=============================================

*** cache removal error: rm -rf /private/var/folders/*/*/-Tmp-/* ***
ERROR NUMBER: 1
Additional info: rm: /private/var/folders/rQ/rQ9zRXo2Fu43jC6y0NAAb++++TI/-Tmp-/StartupDisk-6EFFD251-6A26-3BFE-BA86-CE4F310C6B6A: Resource busy

=============================================

=== Thursday, June 28, 2012 8:47:39 PM : REMOVE LOCAL CACHE ===

rm -rf /Library/Caches/com.apple.Components*

=== Thursday, June 28, 2012 8:47:42 PM : REMOVE USER CACHE ===

rm -rf ~/Library/Caches/com.apple.AddressBook/*
rm -rf ~/Library/Caches/com.apple.helpui/*
rm -rf ~/Library/Caches/com.apple.iCal/*
rm -rf ~/Library/Caches/com.apple.idvd/*
rm -rf ~/Library/Caches/com.apple.preferencepanes.cache
rm -rf ~/Library/Caches/com.apple.preferencepanes.searchindexcache
rm -rf ~/Library/Caches/com.apple.SoftwareUpdate/*
rm -rf ~/Library/Caches/DashboardClient/*
rm -rf ~/Library/Caches/Desktop/*
rm -rf ~/Library/Caches/iWeb/*
rm -rf ~/Library/Caches/Java/*
rm -rf ~/Library/Caches/Mail/*
rm -rf ~/Library/Caches/QuickTime/*
rm -rf ~/Library/Caches/Script\ Editor/*
rm -rf /var/folders/rQ/rQ9zRXo2Fu43jC6y0NAAb++++TI/-Caches-/com.apple.IntlDataCache*
rm -rf /var/folders/rQ/rQ9zRXo2Fu43jC6y0NAAb++++TI/-Caches-/com.apple.SoftwareUpdate

==========================================

*** cache removal error: rm -rf /var/folders/rQ/rQ9zRXo2Fu43jC6y0NAAb++++TI/-Tmp-/* ***
ERROR NUMBER 1
Additional info: rm: /var/folders/rQ/rQ9zRXo2Fu43jC6y0NAAb++++TI/-Tmp-/StartupDisk-6EFFD251-6A26-3BFE-BA86-CE4F310C6B6A: Resource busy

==========================================

Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:14 am (PDT) . Posted by: "Denver Dan" denverdan22180
Howdy.

Lou, what version of YASU are you running?

You might check for a newer version. There is some info online about
version 2.7.6 fixing cache removal problems due to permission errors.

With that in mind, you could also try running Disk Utility's Repair
Disk Permissions first and then running YASU second.

Denver Dan

On Fri, 29 Jun 2012 02:21:38 +0000, LouisD wrote:
> I use YASU every week or so to clean up my computer (and have YASU
> checkboxes set per Randy's OSX Maint & Troubleshooting website).
>
> I got an error message after running YASU and looked at the log. I've
> only included a part of the log, with the two error messages set
> between lines below to save searching. These messages are in the
> "Remove System Cache" and "Remove Local Cache" routines. It says the
> resource was busy, which doesn't sound nasty, but I haven't gotten
> these error messages before. After running YASU and getting this
> error message, I ran it again right after the computer restarted, but
> this time there was no error.
>
> I have been playing with Applescripts lately, so I don't know if that
> leaves something active in the background. I also installed a dual
> drive internal RAID-0 recently. I don't know if they might have an
> impact. I'm running OSX 10.6.8.
>
> Just want to know what's going on and take appropriate action, if required.

Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:09 am (PDT) . Posted by: "LouisD" ldina
Thanks, Dan.

I'm running the latest version (2.7.6). My Mac HD is an SSD so it can't be "repaired" by Disk Utility. I did run a Verify check and it came up clean.

After a restart, YASU (if run again), comes up clean.

Lou

--- In macsupportcentral@yahoogroups.com, Denver Dan <denver.dan@...> wrote:
>
> Howdy.
>
> Lou, what version of YASU are you running?
>
> You might check for a newer version. There is some info online about
> version 2.7.6 fixing cache removal problems due to permission errors.
>
> With that in mind, you could also try running Disk Utility's Repair
> Disk Permissions first and then running YASU second.
>
> Denver Dan
>
>
> On Fri, 29 Jun 2012 02:21:38 +0000, LouisD wrote:
> > I use YASU every week or so to clean up my computer (and have YASU
> > checkboxes set per Randy's OSX Maint & Troubleshooting website).
> >
> > I got an error message after running YASU and looked at the log. I've
> > only included a part of the log, with the two error messages set
> > between lines below to save searching. These messages are in the
> > "Remove System Cache" and "Remove Local Cache" routines. It says the
> > resource was busy, which doesn't sound nasty, but I haven't gotten
> > these error messages before. After running YASU and getting this
> > error message, I ran it again right after the computer restarted, but
> > this time there was no error.
> >
> > I have been playing with Applescripts lately, so I don't know if that
> > leaves something active in the background. I also installed a dual
> > drive internal RAID-0 recently. I don't know if they might have an
> > impact. I'm running OSX 10.6.8.
> >
> > Just want to know what's going on and take appropriate action, if required.
>

Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:27 am (PDT) . Posted by: "Dane Robison" macdane1
Hi Lou,

DD's suggesting you repair *permissions* rather than the disk. You can do that with an SSD, and you'll find it in the lower left corner of the Disk Utility window, whereas the Repair Disk button is in the lower right. Hope this helps!

Dane

On Jun 29, 2012, at 10:09 AM, LouisD wrote:

> Thanks, Dan.
>
> I'm running the latest version (2.7.6). My Mac HD is an SSD so it can't be "repaired" by Disk Utility. I did run a Verify check and it came up clean.
>
> After a restart, YASU (if run again), comes up clean.
>
> Lou
>
> --- In macsupportcentral@yahoogroups.com, Denver Dan <denver.dan@...> wrote:
>>
>> Howdy.
>>
>> Lou, what version of YASU are you running?
>>
>> You might check for a newer version. There is some info online about
>> version 2.7.6 fixing cache removal problems due to permission errors.
>>
>> With that in mind, you could also try running Disk Utility's Repair
>> Disk Permissions first and then running YASU second.
>>
>> Denver Dan

Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:50 am (PDT) . Posted by: "LouisD" ldina
Dane,

I probably misunderstood Dan's email. Thanks.

I run SuperDuper backups nightly, and have SuperDuper set to repair permissions before backing up my startup drive. So, repairing permissions is done regularly. I also have YASU set to run the daily, weekly and monthly cron scripts, and to reset system permissions. Those operations complete before YASU tries to clear the system and local cache.

Don't both of these programs run "repair permissions", or am I missing something?

Lou

--- In macsupportcentral@yahoogroups.com, Dane Robison <macdane@...> wrote:
>
> Hi Lou,
>
> DD's suggesting you repair *permissions* rather than the disk. You can do that with an SSD, and you'll find it in the lower left corner of the Disk Utility window, whereas the Repair Disk button is in the lower right. Hope this helps!
>
> Dane
>
> On Jun 29, 2012, at 10:09 AM, LouisD wrote:
>
> > Thanks, Dan.
> >
> > I'm running the latest version (2.7.6). My Mac HD is an SSD so it can't be "repaired" by Disk Utility. I did run a Verify check and it came up clean.
> >
> > After a restart, YASU (if run again), comes up clean.
> >
> > Lou

Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:03 am (PDT) . Posted by: "Dane Robison" macdane1
I may be wrong, but it seems to me that I still see some activity when running "repair permissions" from Disk Utility after SuperDuper! or YASU having done it. I don't have a good answer for you, but I wonder if there's a difference?

Dane

On Jun 29, 2012, at 10:50 AM, LouisD wrote:

> Dane,
>
> I probably misunderstood Dan's email. Thanks.
>
> I run SuperDuper backups nightly, and have SuperDuper set to repair permissions before backing up my startup drive. So, repairing permissions is done regularly. I also have YASU set to run the daily, weekly and monthly cron scripts, and to reset system permissions. Those operations complete before YASU tries to clear the system and local cache.
>
> Don't both of these programs run "repair permissions", or am I missing something?
>
> Lou

Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:50 pm (PDT) . Posted by: "Marilu" greenmagpies
My Safari (URL Box) has disappeared from my tool bar. I've tried 'View' then 'Customize tool bar' but the URL address box is not available there to drag. I've also tried holding down the
'command' key along with the 'shift' and the 'forward slash' at the same time. Nothing is
working.

Marilu

Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:59 pm (PDT) . Posted by: "Jim Saklad" jimdoc01
> My Safari (URL Box) has disappeared from my tool bar. I've tried 'View' then 'Customize tool bar' but the URL address box is not available there to drag. I've also tried holding down the 'command' key along with the 'shift' and the 'forward slash' at the same time. Nothing is working.
> Marilu

Try <Shift><Command><\>

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Jim Saklad mailto:jimdoc@me.com

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

GROUP FOOTER MESSAGE