6/25/2012

[macsupport] Digest Number 8964

Mac Support Central

Messages In This Digest (13 Messages)

Messages

1a.

Re: How to resize fields in Safari?

Posted by: "Anna Larson" pix@maksimo.de   yovard@ymail.com

Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:00 am (PDT)




On 25.06.2012, at 02:39, Jim Saklad wrote:

>>>> We used to be able to resize commentary fields in Safari. Why was this useful feature removed?
>>>>
>>>> http://minus.com/muknxRIHS/
>>>
>>> I thought I still could -- and had -- in 10.7.4, but certainly not on that page....
>>
>> And can you …?
>
> Yes.
> This website is part of the Mount Washington Weather Station site:
> <https://secure3.convio.net/mwobs/site/Donation2?idb=0&df_id=1360&1360..donation=form1>

You are right. It works by me too. Thank you very much, Jim.

Anna

2a.

Re: special features of Mail?

Posted by: "Anna Larson" pix@maksimo.de   yovard@ymail.com

Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:07 am (PDT)




On 25.06.2012, at 02:28, Jim Saklad wrote:

>
> In TextEdit, I can double-strike ANY font on the computer -- boldened, italicized, or plain -- and in Mail, NONE.

By me too. Seems to be Mail specific then.

Thanks,
Anna

2b.

Re: special features of Mail?

Posted by: "Anna Larson" pix@maksimo.de   yovard@ymail.com

Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:15 am (PDT)




On 25.06.2012, at 11:07, Anna Larson wrote:

>
> On 25.06.2012, at 02:28, Jim Saklad wrote:
>
>>
>> In TextEdit, I can double-strike ANY font on the computer -- boldened, italicized, or plain -- and in Mail, NONE.
>
> By me too. Seems to be Mail specific then.
>
> Thanks,
> Anna
>

Sorry, I was in a hurry when I wrote this. The fact is, SINGLE strike-through works for me in Mail, but *double* strike-through NOT. :-)

Anna

2c.

Re: special features of Mail?

Posted by: "Daly Jessup" jessup@san.rr.com   dalyjessup

Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:08 am (PDT)




On Jun 24, 2012, at 8:23 PM, N.A. Nada wrote:

> Did you maybe forget to go to rich text and not plain text in Mail?
>
>
> On Jun 24, 2012, at 5:28 PM, Jim Saklad wrote:
> In TextEdit, I can double-strike ANY font on the computer -- boldened, italicized, or plain -- and in Mail, NONE.

Mine is the same. I can get double strike-through in Word, TextEdit, Bean, but not in Mail, not in any font at all.

Daly
2d.

Re: special features of Mail?

Posted by: "Daly Jessup" jessup@san.rr.com   dalyjessup

Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:14 am (PDT)




On Jun 24, 2012, at 10:35 PM, Joann Rossi wrote:

> Jim,
>
> I would like to ask some questions about mail.
> I don't know how to underline or bold in mail.
> I also do not know why I get so many addresses in the e mail listings when I open to send to someone, is there a way to get rid of these unwanted addresses. I know how to delete them from my docked address book, but not in the one that I just spoke about.
> Can you direct me to where I can find answers for this, I have tried searching.

You can only use text styles like that if the message is in Rich Text Format. You can change your reply to Rich Text under Mail's Format menu ("Make Rich Text") but many forums will not allow Rich Text and will convert your reply or your message to Plain Text before publishing it.

If you DO change a message to Rich Text, then under the Format menu you will be able to use the options for Fonts, Show Colors, Style, and so on.

The extra addresses may be coming from a list of addresses to which you have previously sent messages. You can reduce that list by going to the Window menu in Mail.app and choosing "Previous Recipients" and remove from the list the ones you don't want to see.

If that isn't what you mean by "so many addresses in the e mail listings when I sent to someone," then please clarify: where ARE you seeing "so many addresses"?

Daly
2e.

Re: special features of Mail?

Posted by: "James Robertson" jamesrob@sonic.net   jamesrob328i

Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:00 am (PDT)




On Jun 25, 2012, at 5:08 AM, Daly Jessup wrote:

> Mine is the same. I can get double strike-through in Word, TextEdit, Bean, but not in Mail, not in any font at all.

Add me to the chorus. I tested only in Mail and TextEdit, but found that even though the Font Formatting palette shows single and double strikethrough as style options in both applications, SELECTING double strikethrough applies it in TextEdit but not in Mail.

Weird bug.

--
Jim Robertson

Mac Pro (Early 2008, Dual 2.8 Quad Core Xeons, 6 GB RAM
OS X 10.7.4)
MacBook Pro (15 inch Early 2011, 2 Ghz Quad Core i7, 8 GB RAM
OS X 10.7.4)
iPad2 (16 GB ATT
iOS 5.1.1)
iPhone 4s (16 GB ATT
iOS 5.1.1)

2f.

Re: special features of Mail?

Posted by: "pat412255" pat412@mac.com   pat412255

Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:40 am (PDT)





--- In macsupportcentral@yahoogroups.com, Joann Rossi <abner2009@...> wrote:
>

> I also do not know why I get so many addresses in the e mail listings when I open to send to someone, is there a way to get rid of these unwanted addresses. I know how to delete them from my docked address book, but not in the one that I just spoke about.
> Can you direct me to where I can find answers for this, I have tried searching.
>
> Thank you so much, Joann

Manage addresses in the Previous Recipients list

When you send messages, Mail stores your recipients' email addresses in the Previous Recipients list. When you want to send new messages to those email addresses, just type a few letters in an address field, and Mail automatically fills in the rest.

Choose Window > Previous Recipients.
In the Previous Recipients window, do any of the following:
To sort the list by name, email address, or the date the address was last used, click a column header.

To search for a name in the list, enter the name in the search field.

To view the card for a recipient who is already in your address book (a card icon precedes the recipient's name), double-click the name. Address Book opens and displays the card.

To add one or more selected recipients to your address book, click "Add to Address Book."

To remove one or more selected recipients from the list, click Remove From List.

Removing the recipient is useful if you don't intend to use the address again or if you previously mistyped an address and want Mail to stop suggesting it as a matching address.

To select addresses that are next to each other (contiguous) in the list, hold down Shift as you click the first and last addresses. To select addresses that are not next to each other in the list, hold down Command as you click each address.

You can remove a recipient from the Previous Recipients list while reading a message you've received or writing a message. Click the arrow in a Smart Address and choose "Remove from Previous Recipients List" from the pop-up menu.

3a.

Mac Book Shuts Down instead of Hibernating?

Posted by: "T Hopkins" hoplist@hillmanncarr.com   todhop

Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:20 am (PDT)



My Mac Book Pro 2008 shuts down rather than hibernating when it runs critically low on battery. In looking into this, it does not appear to be the expected behavior and not sure what I might check. Generally it sleeps and wakes properly. In the past, it has hibernated so it is not incapable of doing so and I can tell the difference.

I've never actually seen it shut down. There is no evidence the shut down is anything be "elegant" though I haven't check the system log. I should do that. Duh.

So far this has only happened if the lid is open, not if it has been put to sleep by closing the lid. I've considered that it might not be sleeping or hibernating properly with the lid open.

Suggestions for troubleshooting this? Operator error?

Cheers,
tod

Tod Hopkins
Hillmann & Carr Inc.
todhopkins-at-hillmanncarr.com

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

3b.

Re: Mac Book Shuts Down instead of Hibernating?

Posted by: "James Robertson" jamesrob@sonic.net   jamesrob328i

Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:16 am (PDT)




On Jun 25, 2012, at 5:20 AM, T Hopkins wrote:

> My Mac Book Pro 2008 shuts down rather than hibernating when it runs critically low on battery.

I THINK I remember this happening to me on my own laptops. I honestly don't know whether the power management firmware is smart enough to realize "hey, the guy who tickles my keys really ISN'T coming back before I've doled out my last electron" proceeding from there to execute a formal shutdown/power off, but I recall there have been situations where the battery power was very low and I couldn't wake the computer up, but with my ear pressed against the "solid block of Jony Ive's milled Al-u-MIN-i-um, I could hear a soft whirring stop when I held down the power button to force power off. I don't know why that would be any better than the battery dwindling to nothing. You'd think there'd be an Apple Support Article that clarifies this, but a brief search didn't find one.

I did find one discouraging Apple Communities discussion that may be pertinent to your issue, at

<https://discussions.apple.com/message/17144948#17144948>

(the https URL tells me you may need to log in to be able to read it). Basically it suggests there's a hardware issue.

--
Jim Robertson

Mac Pro (Early 2008, Dual 2.8 Quad Core Xeons, 6 GB RAM
OS X 10.7.4)
MacBook Pro (15 inch Early 2011, 2 Ghz Quad Core i7, 8 GB RAM
OS X 10.7.4)
iPad2 (16 GB ATT
iOS 5.1.1)
iPhone 4s (16 GB ATT
iOS 5.1.1)

3c.

Re: Mac Book Shuts Down instead of Hibernating?

Posted by: "T Hopkins" hoplist@hillmanncarr.com   todhop

Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:04 am (PDT)



I have had trouble waking the computer before. In this case the system is not locked. It is clearly powered off. Pressing the power button quickly, once, starts up. Otherwise I'd have to hold the power button to power off first. On restart, the battery is critically low so this also appears to be a common symptom. That last common system (so far) is that the lid is left open.

What puzzles me is that I can't find anything at all that says a Mac might shut down on it's own spontaneously, unless crashing, and there is no evidence that the system has crashed, though I can't tell that for sure. Console does show any obvious signs of shut down or any errors. It just stops in the middle of the night and starts up again when I boot.

It's also a bit of a puzzle that the power is running down that quickly. In that state, the system should sleep, and in sleep, should last longer than it is lasting, though I might be overestimating that since I'm am not 100% confident of the power state when I left the machine.

Honestly, it might be time for a complete rebuild. This system works hard, has had many, many apps on it, and it's now well over three years old. I've been holding out for Mountain Lion, but maybe I should go ahead and clean install Lion.

Cheers,
tod

Tod Hopkins
Hillmann & Carr Inc.
todhopkins-at-hillmanncarr.com

On Jun 25, 2012, at 9:16 AM, James Robertson wrote:

>
> On Jun 25, 2012, at 5:20 AM, T Hopkins wrote:
>
> > My Mac Book Pro 2008 shuts down rather than hibernating when it runs critically low on battery.
>
> I THINK I remember this happening to me on my own laptops. I honestly don't know whether the power management firmware is smart enough to realize "hey, the guy who tickles my keys really ISN'T coming back before I've doled out my last electron" proceeding from there to execute a formal shutdown/power off, but I recall there have been situations where the battery power was very low and I couldn't wake the computer up, but with my ear pressed against the "solid block of Jony Ive's milled Al-u-MIN-i-um, I could hear a soft whirring stop when I held down the power button to force power off. I don't know why that would be any better than the battery dwindling to nothing. You'd think there'd be an Apple Support Article that clarifies this, but a brief search didn't find one.
>
> I did find one discouraging Apple Communities discussion that may be pertinent to your issue, at
>
> <https://discussions.apple.com/message/17144948#17144948>
>
> (the https URL tells me you may need to log in to be able to read it). Basically it suggests there's a hardware issue.
>
> --
> Jim Robertson
>
> Mac Pro (Early 2008, Dual 2.8 Quad Core Xeons, 6 GB RAM
> OS X 10.7.4)
> MacBook Pro (15 inch Early 2011, 2 Ghz Quad Core i7, 8 GB RAM
> OS X 10.7.4)
> iPad2 (16 GB ATT
> iOS 5.1.1)
> iPhone 4s (16 GB ATT
> iOS 5.1.1)
>
>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

4.

postgresql-8.4 errors?

Posted by: "T Hopkins" hoplist@hillmanncarr.com   todhop

Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:00 am (PDT)



Console is packed with the following error.

> 6/25/12 8:30:34 AM com.edb.launchd.postgresql-8.4[1027] 2012-06-25 08:30:34
>
> EDTHINT: This error usually means that PostgreSQL's request for a shared memory segment exceeded your kernel's SHMMAX parameter. You can either reduce the request size or reconfigure the kernel with larger SHMMAX. To reduce the request size (currently 32587776 bytes), reduce PostgreSQL's shared_buffers parameter (currently 3584) and/or its max_connections parameter (currently 103).

I'm not clear on it's significance as I don't notice a performance issue, but it may be related to my question about shutdown. After the following message...

> 6/25/12 1:33:50 AM com.apple.launchd[1] (com.edb.launchd.postgresql-8.4) Throttling respawn: Will start in 10 seconds

... The log simply ends until reboot. That does not seem right at all. No proper shutdown.

Cheers,
tod

Tod Hopkins
Hillmann & Carr Inc.
todhopkins-at-hillmanncarr.com

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

5a.

Notes: adding a subject header

Posted by: "Ken" avlisk@cox.net   avliska

Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:40 am (PDT)



In Apple Mail, there's a way to make "Notes", but no way I can see to give them a subject header. I'm getting too many notes now and it's difficult keeping track of them. Is there a way to add a subject header to a note?
Thanks.
Ken Silva
Phoenix, AZ

5b.

Re: Notes: adding a subject header

Posted by: "T Hopkins" hoplist@hillmanncarr.com   todhop

Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:05 am (PDT)



Mail uses whatever the first line of the Note says. Whatever you want the subject to be, just put this on the first line and then use a return and type the body of the note, as if you were working on a blank sheet of paper. In the index, you'll just see this first line.

cheers,

Tod Hopkins
Hillmann & Carr Inc.
todhopkins-at-hillmanncarr.com

On Jun 25, 2012, at 9:34 AM, Ken wrote:

> In Apple Mail, there's a way to make "Notes", but no way I can see to give them a subject header. I'm getting too many notes now and it's difficult keeping track of them. Is there a way to add a subject header to a note?
> Thanks.
> Ken Silva
> Phoenix, AZ
>
>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Recent Activity
Visit Your Group
Sell Online

Start selling with

our award-winning

e-commerce tools.

Yahoo! Finance

It's Now Personal

Guides, news,

advice & more.

Need traffic?

Drive customers

With search ads

on Yahoo!

Need to Reply?

Click one of the "Reply" links to respond to a specific message in the Daily Digest.

Create New Topic | Visit Your Group on the Web