6/18/2013

[macsupport] Digest Number 9612

9 New Messages

Digest #9612
1b
Re: An aside to  WAS: speech to text by "David Brostoff" dcbrostoff
1d
Re: An aside to  WAS: speech to text by "David Brostoff" dcbrostoff
2a
Re: DNS Server question by "Dane Reugger" dar2112
2b
Re: DNS Server question by "HAL9000" jrswebhome
3a
Re: iPhoto and external hard drive question by "Carol Corley" floridabouvs
4a
Re: 802.11ac USB adapters for Macs? by "James Robertson" jamesrob328i
4b
Re: 802.11ac USB adapters for Macs? by "Otto Nikolaus" nikyzf

Messages

Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:02 pm (PDT) . Posted by:

"N.A. Nada"

Read your terms of condition. You may have signed away your rights to privacy or ownership.

And how secure it that cloud?

The difference between a cloud service going out of business and a hard drive failing, is that you can physically destroy the HD. What happens to your data on the cloud when they close the doors? Do you have any way of knowing if they digitally shred your data? What if your health records were included and you don't get that next job because the data was harvested? How are you ever going to know how they got that info?

But if the info was never on that cloud, then it won't get out and abused.

Were you surprised when the leak came out about NSA and Prsim? What other companies have been asked by secret subpoena to surrender info on their users? The Patriot act has suspended much of the Bill of Rights. Yeah, that is a bit off the deep end, but if you don't leave the door open, then they can't walk in.

If you as a private person feel comfortable using cloud services, be my guess. I don't.

I see if I can find the youtube video of of Woz speaking on this, and the article I saw by another tech-guru.

Brent

On Jun 17, 2013, at 5:30 PM, David Brostoff wrote:

On Jun 17, 2013, at 17:17 , N.A. Nada <whodo678@comcast.net> wrote:

> Who said anything about backups or only one place? I didn't. I have a storage unit on the way to work, and occasionally my brother gets some discs in another state.

Sorry--I realized after I sent my message that I shouldn't have made that assumption. (I had your mention of the users not getting their photos back in mind.)

But is that fact that online backup service can go out of business a good reason not to use online backup services? Would that really be different than having a backup drive fail?

David

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:23 pm (PDT) . Posted by:

"David Brostoff" dcbrostoff

On Jun 17, 2013, at 18:02 , N.A. Nada <whodo678@comcast.net> wrote:

> Read your terms of condition. You may have signed away your rights to privacy or ownership.
>
> And how secure it that cloud?
>
> The difference between a cloud service going out of business and a hard drive failing, is that you can physically destroy the HD. What happens to your data on the cloud when they close the doors? Do you have any way of knowing if they digitally shred your data? What if your health records were included and you don't get that next job because the data was harvested? How are you ever going to know how they got that info?

Especially when if you travel, the data on your computer is just as vulnerable as the data you store in the cloud, if not more so. That is why I have already taken the precaution of encrypting any sensitive data on my computer, which is the same data that gets uploaded to the cloud.

Whether my data is stolen from my computer or the cloud, I am confident that it will remain safe from prying eyes.

David

Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:48 pm (PDT) . Posted by:

"N.A. Nada"

We're straying a bit.

If your hardware gets stolen while traveling, it is more likely for the hardware. A thief can only steal a single digit in a day.

If your data gets taken from a cloud, it is to harvest the data and sell it. If data in a cloud is stolen, it is likely that thousands will be stolen or harvested in a day or less.

Why do bank robbers rob banks? Because that is where (lots of) the money is.

Brent

On Jun 17, 2013, at 6:22 PM, David Brostoff wrote:

On Jun 17, 2013, at 18:02 , N.A. Nada <whodo678@comcast.net> wrote:

> Read your terms of condition. You may have signed away your rights to privacy or ownership.
>
> And how secure it that cloud?
>
> The difference between a cloud service going out of business and a hard drive failing, is that you can physically destroy the HD. What happens to your data on the cloud when they close the doors? Do you have any way of knowing if they digitally shred your data? What if your health records were included and you don't get that next job because the data was harvested? How are you ever going to know how they got that info?

Especially when if you travel, the data on your computer is just as vulnerable as the data you store in the cloud, if not more so. That is why I have already taken the precaution of encrypting any sensitive data on my computer, which is the same data that gets uploaded to the cloud.

Whether my data is stolen from my computer or the cloud, I am confident that it will remain safe from prying eyes.

David

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:56 pm (PDT) . Posted by:

"David Brostoff" dcbrostoff

On Jun 17, 2013, at 18:47 , N.A. Nada <whodo678@comcast.net> wrote:

> If your hardware gets stolen while traveling, it is more likely for the hardware. A thief can only steal a single digit in a day.
>
> If your data gets taken from a cloud, it is to harvest the data and sell it. If data in a cloud is stolen, it is likely that thousands will be stolen or harvested in a day or less.

My point was that whether your data is stolen from your computer or the cloud it is equally vulnerable to exploitation. Data in the cloud is not more risky in that respect. I would no sooner leave unencrypted sensitive data on my computer than upload it to the cloud.

David

Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:19 pm (PDT) . Posted by:

"Dane Reugger" dar2112

Sounds like you are not natted - hence no router (or routing) just a modem
in bridge mode - meaning it's passing your public ip straight to your
computer. So your computer is directly accessible - in simple terms -if you
have VNC running or network shares they might be reachable over the
internet.

This is a VERY bad idea and I've not heard of an ISP doing that in years.
If I were you I would go get a router of any sort.

-Dane

On Mon, Jun 17, 2013 at 6:18 PM, HAL9000 <jrswebhome@yahoo.com> wrote:

> plain to me once more, slowly,
> how this number is used? If this number is
> like everyone else's how come my internet
> traffic doesn't get messed up with everyone else's.
>
> Wouldn't my computer need a specific address
> to my computer only, so that internet traffic I
> generate and receive goes to me alone?
>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:27 pm (PDT) . Posted by:

"HAL9000" jrswebhome

What you are saying makes no sense to me.
So what if something is coming straight to me?
What is a bad idea?

You may know what you are talking about but
it would help if you explained to me.

--- In macsupportcentral@yahoogroups.com, Dane Reugger <dane@...> wrote:
>
> Sounds like you are not natted - hence no router (or routing) just a modem
> in bridge mode - meaning it's passing your public ip straight to your
> computer. So your computer is directly accessible - in simple terms -if you
> have VNC running or network shares they might be reachable over the
> internet.
>
> This is a VERY bad idea and I've not heard of an ISP doing that in years.
> If I were you I would go get a router of any sort.
>
> -Dane
>
>
> On Mon, Jun 17, 2013 at 6:18 PM, HAL9000 <jrswebhome@...> wrote:
>
> > plain to me once more, slowly,
> > how this number is used? If this number is
> > like everyone else's how come my internet
> > traffic doesn't get messed up with everyone else's.
> >
> > Wouldn't my computer need a specific address
> > to my computer only, so that internet traffic I
> > generate and receive goes to me alone?
> >
>
>
> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>

Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:46 pm (PDT) . Posted by:

"Carol Corley" floridabouvs

To make sure I don't have the same problem with the Mac, I took the advice of a member here and set up the backup without encryption, since I had a choice. And I called the Apple tech, since I have AppleCare, and he walked me through Time Machine. So all should be fine.
And I'm not totally giving up on the old Book drive. I may do some more research. Who knows, could get lucky.
Thanks to all for your help.
Carol

Jim wrote:
Western Digital MyBook Elite external hard drives use hardware-based encryption chips to (optionally) encrypt drives using 256-bit encryption. This is OK for security, but horrible for data recovery. It is impossible to access (decrypt) the drive if the enclosure circuit board fails, even if the drive itself is fine.

Sent from my iPad 3

Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:21 pm (PDT) . Posted by:

"James Robertson" jamesrob328i


On Jun 17, 2013, at 2:53 PM, Denver Dan <denver.dan@verizon.net> wrote:

> Download the driver as a disk image file. You then don't need an
> optical drive to install it.
>
> Get an external optical drive.
>
> There are some Mac compatible USB/802.11b/g/n WiFi adapters. OWC
> carries a couple.
>
> NetGear has some of these that include the 802.11ac WiFi base station
> and a USB transceiver.
>
> If your Mac laptop has USB 2 then I don't think you will be seeing a
> vast speed increase.
>
> The 802.11ac WiFi standard seems to rarely get to the optimal rated
> speed but does seem to do better at greater range.

Thanks for the suggestions. Of course, the driver will be Windows-specific. I don't know if that would permit 802.11ac networking via a device plugged into a USB3 port that's bonded to my Windows VM, while the Mac continues to use the internal Airport 802.11n card.

My laptop is a retina display MacBook Pro, which does have 2 USB3 Ports. My Airport Extreme Base Station is the last generation before they supported 2 separate SSIDs. We have frequent guests, and I'd like to offer them "public" access without needing to type in (and store) my WiFi password, but if I'm to get the new generation router, I'd like to be able to take advantage of the faster speeds it enables on my own and my family's MacBook Pros.

Jim Robertson

Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:02 am (PDT) . Posted by:

"Otto Nikolaus" nikyzf

On 18 June 2013 05:21, James Robertson <jamesrob@sonic.net> wrote:

>
> Thanks for the suggestions. Of course, the driver will be
> Windows-specific. I don't know if that would permit 802.11ac networking via
> a device plugged into a USB3 port that's bonded to my Windows VM, while the
> Mac continues to use the internal Airport 802.11n card.
>
> My laptop is a retina display MacBook Pro, which does have 2 USB3 Ports.
> My Airport Extreme Base Station is the last generation before they
> supported 2 separate SSIDs. We have frequent guests, and I'd like to offer
> them "public" access without needing to type in (and store) my WiFi
> password, but if I'm to get the new generation router, I'd like to be able
> to take advantage of the faster speeds it enables on my own and my family's
> MacBook Pros.
>

I can see why you'd want such an adapter but the reviews of 11ac routers
I've seen say that they also run 11n faster than 11n routers, perhaps as
fast as 11n was supposed to be in the first place. This might be a
worthwhile improvement in itself.

I'm waiting for the first AirPort 11ac review ...

Otto

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

GROUP FOOTER MESSAGE