7/23/2013

[macsupport] Digest Number 9667

7 New Messages

Digest #9667
1.1
Re: FBI has locked my browser by "Daly Jessup" dalyjessup
1.2
Re: FBI has locked my browser by "Otto Nikolaus" nikyzf
2a
Re: A ''bug'' behind my screen by "Randy B. Singer" randybrucesinger
3.1
Re: iWork by "N.A. Nada"
3.2
Re: iWork by "Jon Kreisler" jonkreisler

Messages

Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:54 pm (PDT) . Posted by:

"Daly Jessup" dalyjessup


On Jul 22, 2013, at 4:22 PM, Barry Austern wrote:

> On Jul 22, 2013, at 7:09 PM, Daly Jessup wrote:
>> I thought that sounded like a good idea and tried to set up such a plan. But Time Warner Cable requires that any such message be displayed with full Headers, and I can't figure out how to make a rule that sends the junk messages with full headers.
>>
>> Any idea how to get around that, short of displaying full headers in every message all the time?

>> If you are in Eudora, as I was for decades, then hit the blah-blah-blah button. In Apple Mail then View>Message>Long Headers or command-shift-H

Oh, yes, I can certainly do that. But I would have to do it to each message individually. I had some idea there could be a way to automate it so that, for instance, every message in the Junk mailbox could be set to full headers.

Oh, well.

Daly

Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:42 am (PDT) . Posted by:

"Otto Nikolaus" nikyzf

On 23 July 2013 00:54, Daly Jessup <jessup@san.rr.com> wrote:

>
> Oh, yes, I can certainly do that. But I would have to do it to each
> message individually. I had some idea there could be a way to automate it
> so that, for instance, every message in the Junk mailbox could be set to
> full headers.
>
> Oh, well.
>

I thought that full headers were included by default and any recipient can
view them at any point.

If you have a second email account you could easily test this.

Otto

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:01 pm (PDT) . Posted by:

"Randy B. Singer" randybrucesinger


On Jul 22, 2013, at 2:30 PM, ck368@me.com wrote:

> The second sentence - no I do not think so and also I remember this happening a few years ago, I am hoping Randy Singer will reply again when he received my reply to his question - if you look at his earlier reply to me you will see a movie of the said creature!

The "movie" is an animated GIF, and it won't show up as an attachment for those on the list as the list strips off attachments.

Even though I have pinpointed what it is, I can't tell you what is causing it to appear for you. A possibility is that it is part of a screensaver that you have enabled.

What I would do is open Activity Monitor and leave it open all the time. Next time that you see the animated bug, switch to Activity Monitor and see what is running that might be displaying it.

___________________________________________
Randy B. Singer
Co-author of The Macintosh Bible (4th, 5th, and 6th editions)

Macintosh OS X Routine Maintenance
http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html
___________________________________________

Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:30 pm (PDT) . Posted by:

"N.A. Nada"

Charles, since you only gave us limited information to work from, there is no way we can tell if you are in a private home that never gets visitors, a work place or manage a youth hostel and this is the house computer.

From Randy's later post, it appears to be a gif. So either you installed it or someone else did.

Brent

On Jul 22, 2013, at 2:30 PM, ck368@me.com wrote:

Thank you for the first suggestion.

The second sentence - no I do not think so and also I remember this happening a few years ago, I am hoping Randy Singer will reply again when he received my reply to his question - if you look at his earlier reply to me you will see a movie of the said creature!

Charles.

On 22 Jul 2013, at 19:48, N.A. Nada <whodo678@comcast.net> wrote:

> If it happens again, mirror your desktop onto another monitor. If the bug is on the second, then it is digital. If not, then it is real. At least you will have that solved.
>
> Any chance someone had physical access to your iMac and is playing a prank on you?
>
> Brent

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:12 am (PDT) . Posted by:

cheeky_chas

Thanks to everyone who replied to this----

I am in a private home where I am the main user on this computer. I have an adult son who will occasionally go on it simply to print for himself, he is a trustworthy person.

I have never installed a screensaver and as I said this is a new computer. It is programmed to go to sleep (display and computer) very quickly (about a minute I think it takes) so any screensaver would not be able to activate.

I realise that there has to be an explanation somewhere but as yet I do not think we have found it! I am not going to worry too much although if it does come back I will try to at least photograph it or take up Randy's suggestion using Activity Monitor.

Charles.

On 23 Jul 2013, at 07:30, N.A. Nada <whodo678@comcast.net> wrote:

> Charles, since you only gave us limited information to work from, there is no way we can tell if you are in a private home that never gets visitors, a work place or manage a youth hostel and this is the house computer.
>
> From Randy's later post, it appears to be a gif. So either you installed it or someone else did.
>
> Brent
>
> On Jul 22, 2013, at 2:30 PM, ck368@me.com wrote:
>
> Thank you for the first suggestion.
>
> The second sentence - no I do not think so and also I remember this happening a few years ago, I am hoping Randy Singer will reply again when he received my reply to his question - if you look at his earlier reply to me you will see a movie of the said creature!
>
> Charles.
>
> On 22 Jul 2013, at 19:48, N.A. Nada <whodo678@comcast.net> wrote:
>
> > If it happens again, mirror your desktop onto another monitor. If the bug is on the second, then it is digital. If not, then it is real. At least you will have that solved.
> >
> > Any chance someone had physical access to your iMac and is playing a prank on you?
> >
> > Brent
>
> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>
>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:12 am (PDT) . Posted by:

"N.A. Nada"

I just got an email to try the public beta of iWorks, also. Since it does not syncs the docs thru iTunes onto each device I am not interested. All to often I an in a location that does not have internet.

I don't sync my docs through iCloud, and all this does is create the doc in your iCloud account and email a copy to your email, that can not be modified by an iDevice, at least I could not on my iPhone with Numbers on it, it is worthless.

Which I think was pretty muchBob's comment.

Brent

On Jul 19, 2013, at 12:55 PM, bob morin wrote:

On Jul 19, 2013, at 2:03 PM, N.A. Nada <whodo678@comcast.net> wrote:

> That is fair.
>
> It is funny that no one has mentions that Apple previously had iWorks on iCloud before, but only in beta, and they closed it about a year ago.
>

This is still beta.

I suppose that one can open email attachments with the cloud programs by dragging the attachment icon to desktop, open the relevant cloud program and drag the desktop icon into the opened program. Much less convenient.

bob

bob morin
rbmorin11@gmail.com

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:22 am (PDT) . Posted by:

"Jon Kreisler" jonkreisler

I briefly tried Numbers for iCloud. The first document I tried, I
discovered a missing feature. Drop-down-menu cell formatting is not
supported. Since the spreadsheet I used depended on that option, it was
useless. Oh well. Onward and upward.

Jon

On Fri, Jul 19, 2013 at 2:24 PM, bob morin <rbmorin11@gmail.com> wrote:

> **
>
>
>
> On Jul 19, 2013, at 1:17 PM, N.A. Nada <whodo678@comcast.net> wrote:
>
> >
> > Bob, let us know what you think of the cloud version, and be sure to
> give Apple any good or bad feedback..
> >
>
> Will do but since being retired I don't use these programs very much these
> days. I liked the ability to send document directly by e mail but later
> noticed one can do the same in the stand alone pages program.
>
> The iCloud version seems to work nicely and conveniently.
>
> bob
>
> bob morin
> rbmorin11@gmail.com
>
>
>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]