7/18/2013

[macsupport] Digest Number 9657

8 New Messages

Digest #9657

Messages

Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:24 pm (PDT) . Posted by:

"Eric" emanmb

Thanks Dan, that was the basic premise I was going on. I wasn't specific enough in describing "generic" as the icons are generic CS6 icons, not plain white icons. Any jpgs or tiffs I make from those RAW files have an icon to match the image.
The DS_STORE procedure was a long shot I pulled from an Apple discussion which sounded like it might help, but didn't. I hadn't run Onyx in a looong time so it was just as well to try. :)
Selecting and doing a command-i on the files was the first thing I tried without success.

When I first got the 6D, I had CS5 installed for which there is no RAW plugin made for the 6D so I couldn't open the RAW files with CS5. I installed Canon's apps that came with the camera to try to get things running but those apps are a last resort compared to working with Adobe products. Having the Canon apps installed didn't get the icons. I was able to make .dng files from the 6D RAW files which would open in CS5, but having to convert hundreds of RAW files on a regular basis to .dng's every time I shoot is a poor/slow workflow.

So I got CS6 and then I could open the files directly or use Lightroom which worked with these files from the gitgo since it had been updated.
From what I've read, Canon has it's own proprietary RAW files that Adobe has to work on after their release to make a plugin that works and gets no help from Canon. That "info" came from some forum so whether it's true or not I dunno.

From Otto's answer and links it seems that 10.6 just isn't capable of rendering the icons of 6D RAW files that reflect what the image is. <http://support. apple.com/ kb/HT3825>

I'm sure Apple could make it happen, but chose to devote their time to their more recent OS'es instead. I've only run into a couple instances where I "needed" 10.7 or higher, but now the newest Lightroom 5 requires it so an update is in my near future. I only have one important app that requires Rosetta, and I'm pretty sure the scanner company updated that. If not, VueScan will take care of scanning once updated so I'm good to go.
e

--- In macsupportcentral@yahoogroups.com, Denver Dan <denver.dan@...> wrote:
>
> Howdy.
>
> A generic icon for any program can indicate, among other things, that
> the program that created the file is not present on the computer. This
> has been a visual indicator on Macintosh going back to 1984. The Mac
> has done automatic pathing from document file to the latest version of
> the program that created that file since 1984.
>
> A DS_STORE file is an invisible file present in any folder. It
> remembers information about the folder such as whether it's in List,
> Icon, Column, or Cover Flow view, position and size on screen, etc. So
> deleting it would have zero to do with document icons.
>
> have you tried selecting one of the generic icon files, then using the
> Get Info command, then in the Get Info dialog for that file checking
> what it says should open the file in the Open with section?
>
> I think that Adobe and Apple provide RAW updaters at a different pace
> so the versions you see could easily be different.
>
> However, if you can't see the preview display of the image contents,
> then I suspect you should check with the Canon web site for any recent
> Canon updates that should be installed.
>
> You might even need to download and run a firmware updater.
>
> Denver Dan

Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:39 pm (PDT) . Posted by:

"James Robertson" jamesrob328i


On Jul 17, 2013, at 2:01 PM, N.A. Nada <whodo678@comcast.net> wrote:

> I don't think I can help, and want to follow along, so I hope you don't mind if I ask for clarification.
>
> Is what you are calling a "Comcast Terminal Adapter" also called a cable bridge or modem?
>
> Doesn't that unit act like a DSL filter, in that it filters the cable signal on the coaxial to leave just the internet signal, or does it just convert it to Ethernet? Just because the TV and voice were working, does not mean the internet portion was fully working.

Thanks for taking a stab at it. Purists (or pedants) used to take great delight in pointing out that cable and DSL "modems" aren't "modems" at all, because they don't modulate digital to analog (for transmission over the phone lines) then demodulate back to digital again (for processing by the digital equipment). But, yes, the Comcast "terminal adapter" is indeed my Cable Modem.

When I couldn't reach my own office's server's web address this morning, at least Internet Explorer posted a suggestion that it might be a DNS issue. Thus far I'm at a loss to figure out if anything I do makes this happen, or if anything I've done to try to resolve it has anything to do with the reestablishment of connectivity. I'm baffled.

Sounds like you've never dealt with Comcast. I've rarely found anyone there who has a clue what their company provides or how it works, but fortunately it DOES work most of the time. One reason I don't think Comcast itself is the problem is because they're also our ISP at the office (we had to give up our WONDERFUL local ISP, sonic.net, because their aDSL uplink speed wasn't what our EHR vendor demanded for our connection to their host for our medical practice's electronic medical record data. This morning when I was unable to "see" some sites and services that require SSL (https), my office was having no troubles at all. I guess it could be the cable modem itself that was causing the problem.

Jim Robertson

Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:20 am (PDT) . Posted by:

"N.A. Nada"

Oh, I have had Comcast in CO and OR, and basically their people are clueless. But sometime you get lucky. I just figured you might be better off as a business customer.

When I had Verizon Cellular, I actually got to speak to one of their working engineers, repeatedly. I am the one that finally figured out that the Kyocera I had could not receive a signal if you put it in a paper bag, though.

Good luck,

Brent

On Jul 17, 2013, at 9:39 PM, James Robertson wrote:

On Jul 17, 2013, at 2:01 PM, N.A. Nada <whodo678@comcast.net> wrote:

> I don't think I can help, and want to follow along, so I hope you don't mind if I ask for clarification.
>
> Is what you are calling a "Comcast Terminal Adapter" also called a cable bridge or modem?
>
> Doesn't that unit act like a DSL filter, in that it filters the cable signal on the coaxial to leave just the internet signal, or does it just convert it to Ethernet? Just because the TV and voice were working, does not mean the internet portion was fully working.

Thanks for taking a stab at it. Purists (or pedants) used to take great delight in pointing out that cable and DSL "modems" aren't "modems" at all, because they don't modulate digital to analog (for transmission over the phone lines) then demodulate back to digital again (for processing by the digital equipment). But, yes, the Comcast "terminal adapter" is indeed my Cable Modem.

When I couldn't reach my own office's server's web address this morning, at least Internet Explorer posted a suggestion that it might be a DNS issue. Thus far I'm at a loss to figure out if anything I do makes this happen, or if anything I've done to try to resolve it has anything to do with the reestablishment of connectivity. I'm baffled.

Sounds like you've never dealt with Comcast. I've rarely found anyone there who has a clue what their company provides or how it works, but fortunately it DOES work most of the time. One reason I don't think Comcast itself is the problem is because they're also our ISP at the office (we had to give up our WONDERFUL local ISP, sonic.net, because their aDSL uplink speed wasn't what our EHR vendor demanded for our connection to their host for our medical practice's electronic medical record data. This morning when I was unable to "see" some sites and services that require SSL (https), my office was having no troubles at all. I guess it could be the cable modem itself that was causing the problem.

Jim Robertson

------------------------------------

Group FAQ:
<http://www.macsupportcentral.com/policies/>

Yahoo! Groups Links

Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:11 am (PDT) . Posted by:

"Dave C" davec2468

Until recently iTunes used to recognize my iPhone 3gs and I could back up and transfer media between them.

Now when I plug in the phone to my Mac mini no phone shows up in the left column.

I can use Image Capture to download photos, and the phone shows under USB in System Profiler.

I'm not sure what next I should try.

Ideas?

Thanks,
Dave

iPhone 3gs; iOS 5.0
OS X 10.6.8 Snow Leopard
2011 Mini 2.7 GHz dual i7 / 16 GB / 250 GB & 750 GB

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:44 am (PDT) . Posted by:

"paul smith" waldonny

Sounds like your USB cables is okay. First steps I would try would be
1 - turning the phone off and then back on
and if that doesn't fix it
2 - resetting the phone by holding down both the Home and the Power buttons until the Apple logo appears.
--
PSmith
MacBook Pro w/ OS 10.8.4, iPhone 4S 64 GB & iPad 4th gen. 32 GB w/ iOS 6.1.3

On Jul 18, 2013, at 3:11 AM, Dave C <davec2468@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Until recently iTunes used to recognize my iPhone 3gs and I could back up and transfer media between them.
>
> Now when I plug in the phone to my Mac mini no phone shows up in the left column.
>
> I can use Image Capture to download photos, and the phone shows under USB in System Profiler.
>
> I'm not sure what next I should try.

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:27 am (PDT) . Posted by:

"N.A. Nada"

Unplug it and replug it in. If that fails, try changing cables. Quit and restart iTunes. Quit and restart the Mac.

The same thing happened to me to day and the unplug replug worked for me. Normally it is that simple. I am using a mophie battery case, so I would add remove case and use cable directly.

I also believe you have the option to sync by WiFi so I would toggle the setting first, then try WiFi sync once.

Dave, since you are using a OS X prior to what came on the mini, try syncing in 10.8. I think that is what is causing some of your problems.

Why do you insist on running a OS prior to what came on the mini?

Brent

On Jul 18, 2013, at 12:11 AM, Dave C wrote:

Until recently iTunes used to recognize my iPhone 3gs and I could back up and transfer media between them.

Now when I plug in the phone to my Mac mini no phone shows up in the left column.

I can use Image Capture to download photos, and the phone shows under USB in System Profiler.

I'm not sure what next I should try.

Ideas?

Thanks,
Dave

iPhone 3gs; iOS 5.0
OS X 10.6.8 Snow Leopard
2011 Mini 2.7 GHz dual i7 / 16 GB / 250 GB & 750 GB

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:06 am (PDT) . Posted by:

"Randy B. Singer" randybrucesinger


On Jul 17, 2013, at 7:33 PM, joe979xx wrote:

> When I print from either Safari or Firefox, the font is gray. But when I print a document, it's black. How do can I change the font in the browsers back to black which it was a month ago?

In Safari:

File --> Print --> just below Orientation and Scale is a drop-down menu; choose Print Settings in it --> you will see a little triangle with the word "Advanced";; click on the triangle (*not* on the word Advanced) --> choose "Toner Save Mode" --> uncheck the checkbox that appears next to Toner Save Mode. You can then click on the triangle again, and then choose the Cancel button.

The settings are almost exactly the same in FireFox.

___________________________________________
Randy B. Singer
Co-author of The Macintosh Bible (4th, 5th, and 6th editions)

Macintosh OS X Routine Maintenance
http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html
___________________________________________

Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:51 am (PDT) . Posted by:

"BTC Adm" btcadm

You're about to learn how to get the most
from your ipod, no matter how much experience
you have with them!
Simply just click:
http://www.Ipods-101.com
You'll uncover a wide array of tips including
interesting facts that made them what they are today!
Regards,
Avanie Sonetra
vans56 - Supervisor

GROUP FOOTER MESSAGE