7/28/2013

[macsupport] Digest Number 9674

4 New Messages

Digest #9674

Messages

Sat Jul 27, 2013 9:33 am (PDT) . Posted by:

"Jene" jene42

software v10.4.11,skype v2.8.0.722.photobooth v1.2

We have lost the ability to Skype using our camera. have done most of the trouble shooting we know how. have repaired permissions etc, run onyx and trashed and reinstalled skype, all to no avail.

The camera works using photobooth and ichat so it's not the camera but seems to be a software problem. Skype has been working fine for years on this computer.

We are stumped at how to troubleshoot this issue and get camera working again. Any ideas how to solve this problem?

thanks

Sat Jul 27, 2013 12:51 pm (PDT) . Posted by:

"HAL9000" jrswebhome

Have you tried, completely removing all Skype files with an application remover, not just dragging and trashing the app. Reboot, then reinstall Skype?

One question, did you recently update any system software or other applications?

--- In macsupportcentral@yahoogroups.com, "Jene" <jene42@...> wrote:
>
> software v10.4.11,skype v2.8.0.722.photobooth v1.2
>
> We have lost the ability to Skype using our camera. have done most of the trouble shooting we know how. have repaired permissions etc, run onyx and trashed and reinstalled skype, all to no avail.
>
> The camera works using photobooth and ichat so it's not the camera but seems to be a software problem. Skype has been working fine for years on this computer.
>
> We are stumped at how to troubleshoot this issue and get camera working again. Any ideas how to solve this problem?
>
> thanks
>

Sat Jul 27, 2013 9:20 pm (PDT) . Posted by:

"nhoward5040" nhoward5040

Hi,

Go onto the Tidbits site (http://tidbits.com/) and look around. They send out via email a very informative newsletter each week and have a number of excellent "Take Control" books on a large number of topics. There are also a number of interesting articles on their website , all about apple products and their applications.

Nancy

--- In macsupportcentral@yahoogroups.com, Charles Carroll <911@...> wrote:
>
> so I am reading this from cover to cover.
>
> http://it-ebooks.info/book/877/
> Mac OSX The Missing Manual
>
> and perusing Randy's excellent site and advice.
>
> WHAT FAVORITE BOOKS AND SITES DO PEOPLE RECOMMEND?
>
> I want to become a power user (including scripting) and support my
> Mom, Dad, Kids (and eventually grandkids) and nieces/nephews and BFFs
> the way I have supported them in Windows so I am trying to survey all
> the possibilities like I did in DOS 1-9, Windows 1.x - 7.0. Basically
> know every trick in the book.
>
> I will replace my families computers with brand new Macs running OSX
> and Parallels/BootCamp over the next few years. They will count on me
> to help them backup, choose programs, etc. so I am reading everything
> I can to get prepared and using the heck out of mine.
>
> I LOVE TO READ BLOGS, BOOKS AND DOWNLOAD UTILITIES AND EXPLORE! Let me
> know what YOUR faves are so I can quench my thirst...
>

Sun Jul 28, 2013 3:34 am (PDT) . Posted by:

"chas" schuetzen



Given:

Model Name: Mac Pro
Model Identifier: MacPro1,1
Processor Name: Dual-Core Intel Xeon
Processor Speed: 2.66 GHz
Number Of Processors: 2
Total Number Of Cores: 4
L2 Cache (per processor): 4 MB
Memory: 16 GB
Bus Speed: 1.33 GHz
Boot ROM Version: MP11.005C.B08
SMC Version: 1.7f10
Serial Number: YM63421VUQ2

Browser: FF 22.0
OS: OS/X 10.6.8

Gemuns;

All in all, my FF works pretty well with SnowLpd but not as well as v20 or
earlier. Mozilla says that all versions of the MAC OS pantheon will work
with v22 but I am having problems getting YAHOO's discussion list (home page)
photos to fill out. ie, I am getting about the first 2 to 5 or so lines of
photo pixels but it varies. another example is the graph on DIDBase iosonde
where I only get 2 lines max. see http://tinyurl.com/mpdkjlg along with the
header.

I am trying to determine what is the commonality but all of my 20 or so
discussion lists will do this (yahoogroups) and now I am getting NO photos on
occasion. However, the DIDBase has nothing to do with yahoogroups.

Generally speaking though, the operation of v22 is far from the smooth, quick
access, etc of v. 17, 19 and 20. v21 was not any great shakes and I thought
it was something of a bugfix for 20 as was/is 22.

Is anyone else having this sort of problem?

The real question is how to RESTORE all the cache, etc files which were part
of these later FF versions as well as for other software. The Time Machine
is backing up onto an external 3TB HDD but I cannot understand HOW to work
the RESTORE (partial). That is a wonderful software program but it is not
even slightly, user friendly to this 70 yr old cancer patient with logical
thought progression caused by taking morphine daily.

I wish Bob LeVitus had written a book on just this one aspect of Snow Leopard
as I really can understand most of his writing.

So, two questions and I would greatly appreciate biblio sources for answers
or explanations on the second and comments on FF v22 v.v. OS/X 10.6.8 and
Yahoo photos.

thanks very much

chas Houston, TX

We are making changes based on your feedback, Thank you !
The Yahoo! Groups Product Blog