12/14/2012

[macsupport] Digest Number 9275

4 New Messages

Digest #9275
1b
Re: mail connection not receiving by "nhoward5040" nhoward5040
1c
Re: mail connection not receiving by "Daly Jessup" dalyjessup
2
Apple Online Status Page Expanded by "Denver Dan" denverdan22180

Messages

Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:31 am (PST) . Posted by:

"N.A. Nada"

I get the warning icon occasionally on my MBP. Usually all it takes to clear it is to quit Mail and restart it.

For some reason, my ISP did not accept an access attempt and Mail set the warning icon. Why it does not clear it on the next attempt, I have no clue.

Brent

On Dec 13, 2012, at 8:21 AM, Les Streater wrote:

I have Mail set up identically on my main iMac - 27 in, 10.6.8, and on my laptop also running 10.6.8, and can collect and send messages on both normally.

Suddenly today whilst I can still send and receive on the laptop, on the iMac I cannot receive. I can send with no problem, and the internet connection is fine for both Safari and Firefox, so that's not the problem. Against my inbox and Junk and - curiously - my Trash, I have a wavy line symbol.

I have Mail set to check for messages every 5 minutes, and I see the symbol change every 5 mins as it goes to look, finds nothing then reverts to the wavy line.

I have double and treble checked the settings against the laptop and they are identical. I have quit and restarted Mail. I have rebooted the iMac.

Nothing seems to get me receiving messages - anyone any ideas? What am I missing?

Les Streater
www.lesstreater.com

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:48 pm (PST) . Posted by:

"nhoward5040" nhoward5040

I have that happen occasionally. All I do i go up to "Mailbox (menu up top),"online status", go down to the appropriate mailbox (if you have more than one) and click on "take online". That generally works and is easier than opening/closing the Mail program.

Nancy

--- In macsupportcentral@yahoogroups.com, Les Streater <lesstreater@...> wrote:
>
> I have Mail set up identically on my main iMac - 27 in, 10.6.8, and on my laptop also running 10.6.8, and can collect and send messages on both normally.
>
> Suddenly today whilst I can still send and receive on the laptop, on the iMac I cannot receive. I can send with no problem, and the internet connection is fine for both Safari and Firefox, so that's not the problem. Against my inbox and Junk and - curiously - my Trash, I have a wavy line symbol.
>
> I have Mail set to check for messages every 5 minutes, and I see the symbol change every 5 mins as it goes to look, finds nothing then reverts to the wavy line.
>
> I have double and treble checked the settings against the laptop and they are identical. I have quit and restarted Mail. I have rebooted the iMac.
>
> Nothing seems to get me receiving messages - anyone any ideas? What am I missing?
>
> Les Streater
> www.lesstreater.com
>
>
>
>
>
> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>

Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:54 pm (PST) . Posted by:

"Daly Jessup" dalyjessup

Les wrote:

>> I have Mail set up identically on my main iMac - 27 in, 10.6.8, and on my laptop also running 10.6.8, and can collect and send messages on both normally.
>>
>> Suddenly today whilst I can still send and receive on the laptop, on the iMac I cannot receive. I can send with no problem, and the internet connection is fine for both Safari and Firefox, so that's not the problem. Against my inbox and Junk and - curiously - my Trash, I have a wavy line symbol.
>>
>> I have Mail set to check for messages every 5 minutes, and I see the symbol change every 5 mins as it goes to look, finds nothing then reverts to the wavy line.

I have experienced that, and use Nancy's solution of just telling the account to go back on line.

But last weekend I had a consulting client who had just updated from Snow Leopard to Mountain Lion and he could not get one of his email accounts to stay on line.

My final solution was to call Apple Support (because the same account did work on another computer in their house). While on hold, the account went back on line and has stayed there ever since.

So, being on hold at Apple is apparently sometimes therapeutic all by itself. ;-)

Daly

Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:53 pm (PST) . Posted by:

"Denver Dan" denverdan22180

Howdy.

This Apple web site has been mentioned by several online articles.

Apple has expanded the level of information presented on online service
outages and problems.

A green color means this are good and a sort of tan color indicates an
"issue" or outage.

<http://www.apple.com/support/systemstatus/>

If you have a problem accessing iCloud mail, Backup, the App Store,
iChat, Siri, and many other things, check this site for the status of
that service.

Denver Dan

GROUP FOOTER MESSAGE