7/04/2013

[macsupport] Digest Number 9637

Mac Support Central

4 New Messages

Digest #9637

Messages

Thu Jul 4, 2013 12:07 am (PDT) . Posted by:

"N.A. Nada"

Randy,

Thank you for your reply. I appreciate the gentler response, compared to about 10 years ago.

I was mistaken and confused about HFS+. I had confused it with GUID partition map scheme. I should have done my homework, instead of being lazy and doing it from memory. Both sad excuses on my part.

I hope that you never get that frustrated that you take down your web site. And I understand why you prefer to refer to it, than re-write the same thing time and again.

My apologies for frustrating you.

I admit that there may be times that defragging might work, but there might be better ways to handle the issue.

I would like to hear your comments to the below:

"One article was not available at the referenced URL, so I searched for the title, and found

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_7-10328197-263.html

from 2007, and again referring to HFS+, but stating:

"According Apple's advice, there are two scenarios under which you might need to defragment your drive:
You have many large files (such as digital videos)
Your disk is low on space (i.e. more than 90% full)"

And I agree with those reasons to defrag. Or better yet, in the case of digital video work, a creating a dedicated scratch partition. In the case of low free space, defraging is only short term solution, and increasing internal storage or getting external storage are better in the long term. "

And from your web site, I see and understand why you say, what constitutes low disk space varies depending upon how it is being used.

Brent

On Jul 3, 2013, at 2:33 AM, Randy B. Singer wrote:

On Jul 3, 2013, at 1:06 AM, N.A. Nada wrote:

> The arguments you laid out in Item #6, all reference a HFS+ formatted hard drive. OS X 10.6 and beyond use a different formatting don't they?

Nope. They use the same exact formatting. "HFS+" = "Mac OS Extended" and that's what is used right up to today:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HFS%2B

So all of the references on my Web site still apply. And more to the point, Mac users still have problems if their computers become too fragmented, and those problems are still remedied by defragmenting their hard drive. I believe that you have already heard from a couple of users who have testified to that in this very discussion thread.

> Randy, your little finger knows more about Macs than I do, but your argument on defragging does not hold water.

I guess that it might seem that way if you are going on the fallacious assumption that Apple changed their file system. They didn't.(And of course, there would have to be some additional evidence that something about any new file system was significantly different and that it changes things.)

You may want to do a Google search for newer articles that say that the older articles that I cited are now wrong. Be prepared for a long search...you won't find any.

(It's moments like these that make me want to take down my Web sites and just say "f_ck it!" It took me months to create that site. I haven't made a cent from it, in fact I pay to keep it up. Yet there are regularly people who want to give me grief and tell me how wrong this or that bit of information on the site is, without a single citation of their own, nothing to back up their argument, just "I don't believe it." I'd be thrilled to have input from folks with conflicting information if they could offer a good explanation backed up with several authoritative citations. I'd simply add that information to the site. But the people who pull stuff from their behinds and just want to argue need to get a life.)

___________________________________________
Randy B. Singer
Co-author of The Macintosh Bible (4th, 5th, and 6th editions)

Macintosh OS X Routine Maintenance
http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html
___________________________________________

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Thu Jul 4, 2013 12:58 am (PDT) . Posted by:

"Dave C" davec2468

> AFAIK all you should need to do is:-
>
> Enable Internet Sharing (already done).
>
> Connect an ethernet cable. This will automatically become the primary
> network connection.
>
> Leave AirPort (Wi-Fi) *on* and it will be available for sharing.
>
> I'm on 10.8 but I'll try this later if you have no luck.
>
> Otto

I do as you say and none of the devices that want to share the internet (ie, iPhones, other Macs) don't see a wireless broadcast to connect to.

I am now thinking that I need to set up a computer-to-computer network in order to share the internet connection over this link?

Dave

OS X 10.6.8 Snow Leopard
2011 Mini 2.7 GHz dual i7 / 16 GB / 250 GB & 750 GB

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Thu Jul 4, 2013 4:42 am (PDT) . Posted by:

"Otto Nikolaus" nikyzf

On 4 July 2013 08:58, Dave C <davec2468@yahoo.com> wrote:

>
>
> I do as you say and none of the devices that want to share the internet
> (ie, iPhones, other Macs) don't see a wireless broadcast to connect to.
>
> I am now thinking that I need to set up a computer-to-computer network in
> order to share the internet connection over this link?
>

My MBP normally uses Wi-Fi (AirPort in previous OSes).

I'm typing this as I do it.

Connect ethernet cable to router. System Preferences > Network shows that
Ethernet is connected and active. Wi-Fi remains connected.

Select System Preferences > Sharing > Internet Sharing. This tells me I
can't start sharing because I have not selected a port for sharing.

'Share your connection from:' defaults to Ethernet but I could choose
Bluetooth PAN or Wi-Fi. I leave it as Ethernet.

'To computers using:' gives me the same options. I choose Wi-Fi. There is a
'Wi-Fi Options' button below but I ignore it for now.*

Internet Sharing is still 'Off' so I select it again. I get a warning about
affecting other computers and disrupting the network. I go ahead anyway.

On my iPhone, I switch on Wi-Fi and the MBP appears as an option.

I select it and the iPhone connects. I check the connection. It works just
as well as when connected to the router's Wi-Fi.

This is the first time I've ever tried it for real and it "just worked". :)

Perhaps you can tell us what happens, stage by stage?

*This allows you to change Network Name, Channel, and Security but I used
the defaults.

Otto

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Thu Jul 4, 2013 6:22 am (PDT) . Posted by:

"ennisart" ennisart

Yes, I think I should get off the cloud. How do I unsync iCloud and go back to usb syncing?

Thanks,

John

--- In macsupportcentral@yahoogroups.com, "redhillsranger" <jsm5320432@...> wrote:
>
> I am not sure if this situation is related but I also had a terrible time with an iphone 4S syncing with my MB Pro 10.7.5. All software was up to date. I set up icloud and then the problems started. Events were duplicated on my mac and phone EVERY time I synced.
>
> I tried Apple Tech Support and they referred me to the nearest apple store (after many hours on the phone trying to resolve it) saying that it sounded like the iphone was "bad".
>
> Went to the store, got a new iphone and tried again with my MB Pro and new phone at the Apple store with three apple genius people watching - and the problem came right back.
>
> After spending most of my work day watching them try various solutions, they simply said to not use iCloud!
>
> Since then I sync using usb and everything is fine. I presume if neither Apple Tech Support or three genius folks can solve the problem and advise against using icloud there may be some weird problems in play. So, I stay "off the cloud" as I have an practice to run.
>
> Sometimes the simplest fix appears to be "Just say no" to icloud.
>
> Not may advice. Apple's.
>
> John
>
> --- In macsupportcentral@yahoogroups.com, "N.A. Nada" <whodo678@> wrote:
> >
> > Three hours difference could be a timezone setting.
> >
> >
> > On Jul 2, 2013, at 5:45 PM, Pat Taylor wrote:
> >
> > All I can think to do is to check that the time is set correctly on both devices & then restart them both. Hold down the home & sleep/wake buttons on the phone at the same time until the Apple logo appears on the screen. Also make sure that the same Apple ID is displayed in Calendar>Preferences>Accounts on your iMac & in the Mail, Contacts, Calendar setting on your iPhone.
> >
> > On Jul 2, 2013, at 6:13 PM, ennisart <john@> wrote:
> >
> > > Thanks Pat. I did not have wifi checked, but i use both wifi and ethernet to connect.
> > >
> > > One oddity I found: I created a 9am event in the iCloud and it synced with the iPhone Calendar but at noon, not 9am. Then I added an event on the iPhone calendar for 9am and it synced with the iCloud for 6pm! Neither event appeared on my iMac calendar.
> > >
> > > John
> > >
> > > --- In macsupportcentral@yahoogroups.com, Pat Taylor <pat412@> wrote:
> > > >
> > > > Have you checked to see that iCloud is properly set up on both the phone & iMac? Be sure that the Contacts & Calendar tabs are turned on in the settings of each device. Also, with the phone cabled to your iMac, be sure that the WiFi sync tab is checked under Options on the Summary page.
> > > >
> > > > Sent from my iPad...>
> > > >
> > > > On Jul 2, 2013, at 3:04 PM, ennisart <john@> wrote:
> > > >
> > > > > Hi,
> > > > >
> > > > > I have an iPhone4 (iOS6.1.3), and use OS10.6 on an iMac. I connect them via cable (not bluetooth), and they initially synced contacts and calendar, but now they don't. Somewhere along the line I switched from direct syncing to the iCloud. Not sure if that created the problem.
> > > > >
> > > > > Any suggestions?
> > > > >
> > > > > Thanks,
> > > > >
> > > > > John
> > > > >
> > > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
> > > >
> > >
> > >
> >
> > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
> >
>

GROUP FOOTER MESSAGE