2/07/2013

[macsupport] Digest Number 9369

15 New Messages

Digest #9369
1a
Re: Password management? by "neelie" neeliec2000
1b
2b
Re: Managing audiobooks on iTunes by "Sam Goodman" alaskannemesis
3
backup with super duper by "Jeffrey R" jmrobert14
4a
Re: Word X 2004: select vertical block of text by "Randy B. Singer" randybrucesinger
4b
Re: Word X 2004: select vertical block of text by "Jurgen Richter" epsongroups
6
Hey! by "Katie Clark" ktclark16
7a
Re: iPhoto Dates by "Otto Nikolaus" nikyzf
8
Reading ACL table‹POSIX by "Bill B." kernos501
9a
Contacts app by "Tanya Metaksa" tmetaksa@att.net
9b
Re: Contacts app by "HAL9000" jrswebhome

Messages

Wed Feb 6, 2013 10:17 pm (PST) . Posted by:

"neelie" neeliec2000

Thanks for the responses. What I'm searching for is not Keychain, nor is it an app that was added to my computer. It was a way of remembering log in IDs and passwords, and then you could go in and delete or edit them. It could have been part of an older operating system.

My issue has to do with one website in particular. When I go to log in, part of my user ID is pre-filled in and it's an old one. So each time I have to manually delete the partial log in and fill in the current stuff.

--- In macsupportcentral@yahoogroups.com, "neelie" wrote:
>
> I'm using OS 10.6.8 on an 24" iMac circa 2007. I use Firefox 18.0.1 and Safari 5.1.7.
>
> I seem to recall being able to go somewhere on my iMac to manage my stored passwords (for websites, accounts, etc), but I can't find where that is. I can't remember if this was specific to the browser I was using, or if it was a preference within the OS.
>
>
> Can anyone help shed some light for me?
>
> Thanks.
> Eileen
>

Wed Feb 6, 2013 11:48 pm (PST) . Posted by:

"N.A. Nada"

If it has to do with one web site, autofilling your user ID, then you asked the site to remember you and it does, with your old ID. Some might remember your password also.

Delete the cookie for that web site. Quit the browser and then re-open the browser and visit that site again. You should have to enter in your user ID, and check the box asking if you want the site to remember you.

Brent

On Feb 6, 2013, at 10:17 PM, neelie wrote:

Thanks for the responses. What I'm searching for is not Keychain, nor is it an app that was added to my computer. It was a way of remembering log in IDs and passwords, and then you could go in and delete or edit them. It could have been part of an older operating system.

My issue has to do with one website in particular. When I go to log in, part of my user ID is pre-filled in and it's an old one. So each time I have to manually delete the partial log in and fill in the current stuff.

--- In macsupportcentral@yahoogroups.com, "neelie" wrote:
>
> I'm using OS 10.6.8 on an 24" iMac circa 2007. I use Firefox 18.0.1 and Safari 5.1.7.
>
> I seem to recall being able to go somewhere on my iMac to manage my stored passwords (for websites, accounts, etc), but I can't find where that is. I can't remember if this was specific to the browser I was using, or if it was a preference within the OS.
>
>
> Can anyone help shed some light for me?
>
> Thanks.
> Eileen
>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Wed Feb 6, 2013 11:06 pm (PST) . Posted by:

"N.A. Nada"

I import audiobook CDs all the time. I have not see that problem. I don't think it is a problem with iTunes, but with the discs.

The discs often don't have consistent information formats from disc to disc on one book. You may have to re-import the discs, and check the Get Info after you import each disc. You might have to straighten the disc and track info for each disc. You should check the title, also.

Brent

On Feb 5, 2013, at 8:29 PM, Joan B. Sax, Ph.D. wrote:

I like to put audiobook CDs on my iPhone by importing them onto my iTunes library on my computer. But when I do that, and designate the files as an audiobook, the files arrange themselves in order of tracks, so that all the track 1s for each CD are together. I don't seem to be able to move the tracks around so that they are arranged (as they are under the Music section) by disk number and then track. Anyone have any idea how to rearrange tracks in an audiobook?

Joan in Vermont where we are having a heat wave, all the way up to 16°F (high, that is).

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Thu Feb 7, 2013 9:20 am (PST) . Posted by:

"Sam Goodman" alaskannemesis

Rename the files with number first 001 002 etc then a space then name of
the cd or book
--
sam goodman nemesis@tranquility.net Never wrestle with a pig.
You'll both get dirty and the pig is the only one that will enjoy it

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Thu Feb 7, 2013 12:24 am (PST) . Posted by:

"Jeffrey R" jmrobert14

When I hold down the option key and do a restart my external seagate drive for mac doesn't boot. What am I doing wrong? I set SD to backup all files. Jeff

Imac 2.7 Mt Lion 8.2

Thu Feb 7, 2013 12:46 am (PST) . Posted by:

"Randy B. Singer" randybrucesinger


On Feb 6, 2013, at 9:12 PM, Andrew Buc wrote:

> According to Word help, the way to do this is to press Option and
> swipe from the beginning of the text you want to select to the end.
> I've done this in the past, but for some reason it's not working now.
> As I swipe down and right with the left mouse button depressed,
> everything on each line is getting selected. Thanks for any suggestions.

Is all of the text that you are working with contained in a Text Box within Word? If so, you can't do what you want to do until you get the text out of the text box.

___________________________________________
Randy B. Singer
Co-author of The Macintosh Bible (4th, 5th, and 6th editions)

Macintosh OS X Routine Maintenance
http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html
___________________________________________

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Thu Feb 7, 2013 8:19 am (PST) . Posted by:

"Jurgen Richter" epsongroups

There is a utility out there called Text Cleaner
you can download a 30 day demo to try it out at
www.textcleaner.com

It's the best utility I found for doing exactly what you want.
It is a search and replace utility and you just enter the things you
want to edit.

In your case since the formatting is the same for each line, you could
search for this:
replace: [return] followed by 2 numerals, followed by /, followed by 2
numerals, followed by /, followed by 2 numerals and a space
with: [return]
effectively deleting the date and trailing space, leaving the number
(whatever it happens to be, since you are not searching for any specific
one) and the return.

If nothing else, download the demo and try it out.
I'm a happy user of this since 2001, but no other connection. It has
saved me countless hours cleaning up Excel and Word files for use in
Quark and InDesign.

====

Andrew Buc wrote:

I want to do this in a document that consists of ~35 lines of text in
the following format:

07/31/12 6.530
08/06/12 11.615

A date, a bunch of spaces, and then a number.
I want to trim away the date and the following spaces on each line,
leaving only the number.

Thu Feb 7, 2013 6:57 pm (PST) . Posted by:

"Andrew Buc" andrewbuc

On Feb 7, 2013, at 12:46 AM, Randy B. Singer wrote:

> Is all of the text that you are working with contained in a Text
> Box within Word? If so, you can't do what you want to do until you
> get the text out of the text box.

I don't think so. I copied and pasted from a .txt file. I took the
file in to work on a thumb drive, and I was able to do what I wanted
to do in Word for Windows (newer version than my copy of Word X) on
my work computer.

At work, I tried opening the entire file and deleting what I didn't
want, unlike pasting the desired copy into a Word document as I"d
done at home. I just tried the same technique at home, and no joy.
I'll certainly take Jurgen's suggestion of trying Text Cleaner, but
I'm baffled as to why this isn't working when it's worked in the
past. If I hadn't been able to do it at work, I'd be tearing my hair
out.

Thu Feb 7, 2013 7:21 pm (PST) . Posted by:

"Andrew Buc" andrewbuc

I'm not sure what I'm doing differently, but I just got it to work.
Thanks to all who responded!

Thu Feb 7, 2013 1:16 am (PST) . Posted by:

"Dave C" davec2468

The problem persists with a different user.

Now what? Re-install the OS?

Thanks for your suggestions.

Dave

-=-=-=-

On 6 February 2013, at 7:18 AM, Denver Dan wrote:

> Howdy.
>
> Well, worth a try anyway.
>
> This seems like a good thing for having a "Test" user account on your
> Mac. I have one for stuff like this. If you haven't already done this
> . . . .
>
> Open System Preferences > Users & Groups.
>
> Be sure you are logged in as an Admin user.
>
> Then create a new user account and designate it as an Admin level
> account. Many folks including myself use the name Test for this type
> of account.
>
> Then log out (shouldn't need to shut down) of your usual account and
> log in to the Test account.
>
> See what happens with the problematic keyboard.
>
> If it behaves OK in the Test account and works, then that's a very good
> indication that the problem is something corrupted in your usual user
> account. If that's the case, I'd start by doing the usual suite of
> maintenance things including booting in Safe Disk Mode and then using a
> maintenance utility like OnyX to delete all cache files.
>
> Good luck.
>
> Denver Dan
>
>
>
>
> On Tue, 05 Feb 2013 22:34:27 -0800, Dave C wrote:
>> I hadn't thought of that one. But no, that didn't change the symptoms.
>>
>> Dave

Thu Feb 7, 2013 3:10 am (PST) . Posted by:

"Katie Clark" ktclark16

Hey! http://www.juhurogroup.com/coqojpw/d10dr1i3j414li2zad5rhi.png

Katie Clark
2/7/2013 12:10:15 PM

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Thu Feb 7, 2013 3:15 am (PST) . Posted by:

"Otto Nikolaus" nikyzf

You might find this thread useful.
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3820702?start=0&tstart=0>

Otto

On 7 February 2013 01:50, Doris untoldexpressions@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have a MacBookPro (2.54 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB 1967 MHz DDr3) using
> 10.8.2.
>
> Is there any way to change the date on a photo permanently? I am scanning
> old photos and would like them to be chronologically arranged in iPhoto.
> But if I then export one of these it reverts back to original name and scan
> date. Is there something I'm missing?
>
> Is there other software available that does this?
>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Thu Feb 7, 2013 6:48 am (PST) . Posted by:

"Bill B." kernos501

How does one read an ACL? Doing a man -k ACL in the terminal lists commands under "acl(3) - introduction to the POSIX.1e ACL security API" one being acl_get_permset but POSIX does not run under bash. IIRC POSIX is related to Perl?

I want to see if an "unexpected ACL" that keeps popping up in a launchd plist could be related to the newest version of Skype hanging on open in 10.6.8.

Bill B.

Thu Feb 7, 2013 3:12 pm (PST) . Posted by:

"Tanya Metaksa" tmetaksa@att.net

I am trying to add a contact to one of my groups. If I click on the contact the picture symbol gets attached to the cursor and I can not move it to the group I would like to add it to. What am I doing wrong.?
Tanya Metaksa

Thu Feb 7, 2013 4:24 pm (PST) . Posted by:

"HAL9000" jrswebhome

Create a new group first, call it "Friends" for example.
Call up a contact name that you want to add to this new group.
Click the contacts Edit button. In the Note area on the contact card, type: "Friend".
That's all.

Click on the group name now.
The name should show in the group contact list.
It works on my Contact App in Mountain Lion.

There maybe another way, not sure why this works.

--- In macsupportcentral@yahoogroups.com, Tanya Metaksa wrote:
>
> I am trying to add a contact to one of my groups. If I click on the contact the picture symbol gets attached to the cursor and I can not move it to the group I would like to add it to. What am I doing wrong.?
> Tanya Metaksa
>

GROUP FOOTER MESSAGE