2/21/2013

[macsupport] Digest Number 9391

13 New Messages

Digest #9391
1a
Safari problem by "Paul" hlecptr
3a
3b
Re: Excel file can't be deleted by "Otto Nikolaus" nikyzf
5
RSS not working with Safari by "Dave C" davec2468
6a
iPhone 5 Issue - Zoom Problem by "Denver Dan" denverdan22180
6b
Re: iPhone 5 Issue - Zoom Problem by "Otto Nikolaus" nikyzf
6c
Re: iPhone 5 Issue - Zoom Problem by "Pete Nalda" lpnalda
6d
Re: iPhone 5 Issue - Zoom Problem by "Denver Dan" denverdan22180
7a
Re: finding network by "N.A. Nada"

Messages

Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:54 am (PST) . Posted by:

"Paul" hlecptr

After Googling for an hour (and rebooting my computer a couple of times) I'm turning to you guys for assistance.

When I want to send a mail link to a something opened in Safari, I am now getting redirected to Internet Explorer in my PARALLELS program. Can someone tell me how to correct this? I might add that Safari has been running very sluggish of late.

I'm running Mountain Lion.

Much thanks in advance,

Paul

Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:43 am (PST) . Posted by:

"Tom Rossen" rossentj

Doris,

That's apparently normal - as soon as I deleted that one notification, the
menu item grayed out. Looks like it's only enabled when you have
notifications pending.

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:58 pm (PST) . Posted by:

"Don" don.96705

Vonii

I have been getting those files a couple times a month for quite some time. Big or small file doesn't matter. Due to high electric rates I Shut Down frequently and accidentally found that the files go away on a reboot.

Just figured out where they come from. When saving Excel first creates a backup file with that funny name. It is usually on the desktop under the open Excel spreadsheet so you don't normally see it. Occasionally it gets put on a viewable portion of the desktop. Its normally there for under a second. When Excel finishes the save the funny file should be deleted.

Some applications I worked on in the dark ages, before Woz & Jobs started writing code, used this technique.

Don at 21.9N 159.6W
Mac Pro OS X 10.7.5

p.s. I have an Excel file with 20 columns & 3700 rows. I want to get rid of MS-Office and move to iWork. Numbers opens small Excel files fine but on that big one the rough translation of the error message is "You've got to be kidding!"

On Feb 17, 2013, at 17:21, V. Meyer wrote:

> I could use some help to resolve this issue.
>
> I have an Excel file sitting on my desktop titled C9647510. When I drag the
> file to the trash to delete, I get an error message that says "The item
> "C9647510"; can't be moved to the Trash because it can't be deleted." I also
> can't open the file, and when I select Get Info, nothing happens.
>
> I'd like to remove this file from my desktop, and I don't understand why I
> can't. I Googled the error message and got zip, which I've never had happen
> before. Any and all advice on how to remove this file would be appreciated.
>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:53 pm (PST) . Posted by:

"Otto Nikolaus" nikyzf

20 x 3700 isn't much by spreadsheet standards. Are you sure the issue isn't
something else, e.g. something that can't be converted?

Otto

On 21 February 2013 20:58, Don y-photo.96705@hawaiiantel.net> wrote:

> Vonii
>
> I have been getting those files a couple times a month for quite some
> time. Big or small file doesn't matter. Due to high electric rates I Shut
> Down frequently and accidentally found that the files go away on a reboot.
>
> Just figured out where they come from. When saving Excel first creates a
> backup file with that funny name. It is usually on the desktop under the
> open Excel spreadsheet so you don't normally see it. Occasionally it gets
> put on a viewable portion of the desktop. Its normally there for under a
> second. When Excel finishes the save the funny file should be deleted.
>
> Some applications I worked on in the dark ages, before Woz & Jobs started
> writing code, used this technique.
>
> Don at 21.9N 159.6W
> Mac Pro OS X 10.7.5
>
> p.s. I have an Excel file with 20 columns & 3700 rows. I want to get rid
> of MS-Office and move to iWork. Numbers opens small Excel files fine but
> on that big one the rough translation of the error message is "You've got
> to be kidding!"
>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:15 pm (PST) . Posted by:

"Carol" floridabouvs

In reading mail, I find that I am unable to delete. I get a message that says "The IMAP command 'UID COPY' (to Deleted Messages) failed for the mailbox 'INBOX' with server error. UID COPY failed - Destination mailbox is examined as read-only."
This appears to be a problem in only one of my 6 email accounts, a Yahoo account, but the other Yahoo accounts aren't affected.
It has to be a simple thing. So I looked in Help to see how to delete, but it wasn't one of the choices.
Thanks to the person who told me how to send to Spam -- I don't have a stop sign, though, just an upside-down thumb. But it works.
Carol

Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:57 pm (PST) . Posted by:

"N.A. Nada"

Aw, so all you wanted to do was to move the spam to your junk folder, and you found the "Mark this message as Junk" icon.

Too bad the resolution wasn't shared with the group so others can learn from it.

On Feb 21, 2013, at 1:14 PM, Carol wrote:

In reading mail, I find that I am unable to delete. I get a message that says "The IMAP command 'UID COPY' (to Deleted Messages) failed for the mailbox 'INBOX' with server error. UID COPY failed - Destination mailbox is examined as read-only."
This appears to be a problem in only one of my 6 email accounts, a Yahoo account, but the other Yahoo accounts aren't affected.
It has to be a simple thing. So I looked in Help to see how to delete, but it wasn't one of the choices.
Thanks to the person who told me how to send to Spam -- I don't have a stop sign, though, just an upside-down thumb. But it works.
Carol

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:52 pm (PST) . Posted by:

"Dave C" davec2468

I do searches on CraigsList and subscribe to these via RSS.

CL allows the use of boolean OR character "|", but if I use this in a search, Safari gives me a page full of code. If I use that same search and subscribe via RSS, Firefox brings the subscription into Mail (version 4.6 which has RSS support) as you'd expect.

If I create searches without the use of the "|" character Safari brings the subscription to Mail as expected.

Why is Safari failing where Firefox is succeeding?

Thanks,
Dave

-=-=-=-

Safari 5.0.5
Firefox 19.0
OS X 10.6.8 Snow Leopard
2011 Mini 2.7 GHz dual i7 / 16 GB / 250 GB & 750 GB

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:03 pm (PST) . Posted by:

"Denver Dan" denverdan22180

Howdy.

Several times in the past two weeks I have attempted to answer my
iPhone 5 only to discover that the first screen, the Slide to Unlock
screen, has zoomed in and I'm unable to answer the phone.

I usually carry the phone in a pants pocket.

Something is causing the gigantic zoom in to happen and it has happened
about 4 times in the past two weeks.

When it happens the info on the screen is enormously enlarged or zoomed
in.

The only solution I've found is to power off the iPhone and power it
back on. Of course, by then I've missed the call.

Any ideas on what is causing this?

Solutions? Prevent it from happening?

Denver Dan

Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:41 pm (PST) . Posted by:

"Otto Nikolaus" nikyzf

Just suggestions:-

A 3-finger double-tap toggles zoom.

But the screen would be inactive in your pocket anyway, unless you forget
to press the Sleep button first, so how did the zoom happen?

Otto

On 22 February 2013 00:03, Denver Dan denver.dan@verizon.net> wrote:

> Howdy.
>
> Several times in the past two weeks I have attempted to answer my
> iPhone 5 only to discover that the first screen, the Slide to Unlock
> screen, has zoomed in and I'm unable to answer the phone.
>
> I usually carry the phone in a pants pocket.
>
> Something is causing the gigantic zoom in to happen and it has happened
> about 4 times in the past two weeks.
>
> When it happens the info on the screen is enormously enlarged or zoomed
> in.
>
> The only solution I've found is to power off the iPhone and power it
> back on. Of course, by then I've missed the call.
>
> Any ideas on what is causing this?
>
> Solutions? Prevent it from happening?
>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:52 pm (PST) . Posted by:

"Pete Nalda" lpnalda

Zoom can also be turned off in Settings>General>Accessibility>;Zoom. If Zoom is on there, it will be toggled.

On Feb 21, 2013, at 6:40 PM, Otto Nikolaus otto.nikolaus@googlemail.com> wrote:

> Just suggestions:-
>
> A 3-finger double-tap toggles zoom.
>
> But the screen would be inactive in your pocket anyway, unless you forget
> to press the Sleep button first, so how did the zoom happen?
>
> Otto
>
> On 22 February 2013 00:03, Denver Dan denver.dan@verizon.net> wrote:
>
>> Howdy.
>>
>> Several times in the past two weeks I have attempted to answer my
>> iPhone 5 only to discover that the first screen, the Slide to Unlock
>> screen, has zoomed in and I'm unable to answer the phone.
>>
>> I usually carry the phone in a pants pocket.
>>
>> Something is causing the gigantic zoom in to happen and it has happened
>> about 4 times in the past two weeks.
>>
>> When it happens the info on the screen is enormously enlarged or zoomed
>> in.
>>
>> The only solution I've found is to power off the iPhone and power it
>> back on. Of course, by then I've missed the call.
>>
>> Any ideas on what is causing this?
>>
>> Solutions? Prevent it from happening?
>>
>
>
> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>
>
>
> ------------------------------------
>
> Group FAQ:
> http://www.macsupportcentral.com/policies/>
>
> Yahoo! Groups Links
>
>
>

Egun On, Lagunak! (Basque for G'day, Mates)
Louie P. "Pete" Nalda
http://www.myspace.com/musikonalda
http://www.facebook.com/lpnalda
http://www.linkedin.com/in/lpnalda
Twitter @lpnalda

Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:39 pm (PST) . Posted by:

"Denver Dan" denverdan22180

Howdy.

That was the problem.

And it's odd that I don't remember turning that feature on.

How it gets turned on when answering the phone I don't know.

Back to normal now.

Thanks.

Denver Dan

On Fri, 22 Feb 2013 00:40:38 +0000, Otto Nikolaus wrote:
> Just suggestions:-
>
> A 3-finger double-tap toggles zoom.
>
> But the screen would be inactive in your pocket anyway, unless you forget
> to press the Sleep button first, so how did the zoom happen?
>
> Otto

Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:43 pm (PST) . Posted by:

"N.A. Nada"

Good point, Otto.

So you agree it has nothing to do with permissions or her disk? It is related to the WiFi base unit.

Brent

On Feb 21, 2013, at 3:14 AM, Otto Nikolaus wrote:

Many Wi-Fi routers need a simple reset every now and then. You can either
press the reset button if there is one, or disconnect and reconnect the
power lead. No settings are lost with this sort of reset.

Otto

On 21 February 2013 05:55, N.A. Nada whodo678@comcast.net> wrote:

> It has nothing to do with permissions or your disk. It has to do with your
> Network Prefs & the base station firmware & softwarel
>
> If you were using a Apple Airport, I would say go to Airport Utility and
> click on your ABS. Since you are using something else, you will have to
> look to their software. Possibly a firmware update. Call Frontier.
>

>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:50 pm (PST) . Posted by:

"N.A. Nada"

I'll bet you a dollar to a donut, that the 2001 iBook can not recognize all of a 2 TB hard drive.

(That phrase made more sense when a donut cost 8 cents.)

On Feb 20, 2013, at 8:53 PM, Christopher Collins wrote:

Just replace the 500GB disk with a 2TB disk.

Plenty of tutorials on the web about how to do it.

Just pickup a 2TB green drive (WD is preferred on the tutorials I saw) and go for it.

cjc

On 21/02/2013, at 12:18 PM, Jim Showalter jshowalt@mindspring.com> wrote:

> I've googled this and searched at Apple support, but have not found an answer.
>
> My old 500GB Time Capsule has now gone into fits while trying to maintain backups for two MacBooks. The disk is full, and so has to go into deleting old backups, which is really time consuming and delays backups of current data. What I want to do is to add a new 2TB TC to backup the more active MacBook and let the older 500GB TC continue to handle the less active MacBook, after moving the more active MacBook' s backups to the newer larger TC.
>
> What I haven't been able to find is how to migrate the TC backups for one MacBook to the new TC, then clean off the backups from the old TC. Links to documents on how to do that are gratefully appreciated.
>
> Thanks.
>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

GROUP FOOTER MESSAGE