2/13/2013

[macsupport] Digest Number 9377

2 New Messages

Digest #9377
1a
Re: virus by "Randy B. Singer" randybrucesinger

Messages

Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:59 pm (PST) . Posted by:

"Randy B. Singer" randybrucesinger


On Feb 13, 2013, at 1:27 PM, billie wrote:

> I have a older 10.4 iMac that wont' work anymore. It started to shut down by itself occasionally, then locked up a few times and now it only gives 'external error' message.
> Well my newer (purchased 12 2011) iMac is now starting to act funny. Could it be POGO games? That was on both i Macs. I don't do much more than email. My searches are for definitions or recipes, mostly. This mac has locked up once and the pogo game just stopped twice. I have been using Mac for only 4 years so maybe it is me? I won't go back to PC's since they get viruses so often. I have been considering installing Norton or MacAfee. What should I do? (The nearest mac store is 4 hours away and I really don't have the time or money to go there.)

The solution to a Macintosh problem is just about never that "it's a virus" or that you need to install anti-virus software. (And especially don't install anything from Norton/Symantec.)

My wild guess is that your older Mac is experiencing a failing power supply.

Your newer Mac sounds like it is suffering from a software conflict. Maybe an outdated or buggy program.

___________________________________________
Randy B. Singer
Co-author of The Macintosh Bible (4th, 5th, and 6th editions)

Macintosh OS X Routine Maintenance
http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html
___________________________________________

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:06 pm (PST) . Posted by:

"N.A. Nada"

Been there, done that. Especially when it has been ages since I set up the older Macs.

On Feb 13, 2013, at 5:00 AM, Tony Troiano wrote:

Thank you N.A. I cannot believe I forgot to do that.

--Tony--

=================================
At 1:44 AM -0800 2/13/13, N.A. Nada wrote:

Did you turn on sharing on the new Mac?

On Feb 12, 2013, at 10:03 PM, Tony Troiano wrote:

This week a new iMac 27 inch found its way to my door and I have been
busy introducing it into my workplace.

Networking thus far seems to be a one-way data flow. The new machine
running Mountain Lion can see and access files via ethernet from the
old G4 running Tiger, from the older PowerPC iMac also operating on
Tiger via Airport, and an Intel MacBook Pro running on Leopard. But
none of these older machines recognize the new iMac with the Mountain
Lion OS. The computer does not pop up on the sidebar. I thought to
give the new computer a manual IP address and tried to access from
the other machines it using that address .. to no avail!

Can Tiger and Leopard network with Mountain Lion?

--Tony--

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

GROUP FOOTER MESSAGE