2/24/2013

[macsupport] Digest Number 9398

5 New Messages

Digest #9398
2a
2b
Re: Time Machine Backups in Trash by "Otto Nikolaus" nikyzf
3a
Re: Mouse quits by "neelie" neeliec2000
4a
Re: Virus Protection by "Randy B. Singer" randybrucesinger

Messages

Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:33 pm (PST) . Posted by:

"Otto Nikolaus" nikyzf

Hi Carol,

You can simply connect the Book (I assume that's a Western Digital MyBook)
to the Mac and copy the pictures over using Finder. Finder is the Mac
equivalent of Windows Explorer. Just drag them to the Desktop to start
with.

You can then decide if you want them in iPhoto.

Which photo app, if any, did you use in Windows?

Otto

On 24 February 2013 21:39, Carol floridabouvs@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have been an iMac owner for about a month and am still learning, but
> getting more comfortable.
> My old PC (Windows 97) died and I have a Book backup with lots of stuff on
> it. All I want are the photos. I also have a Windows 97 laptop and Windows
> 7 laptop.
> I was thinking of hooking the Book backup to the Windows 97 laptop and
> downloading the photos, transferring them to a Flash drive and then putting
> them on iPhoto. Would that work? There are probably 700 photos in all,
> although I could go through them individually and only take the ones that I
> really want. I have lots of multiples as I go back to the "bracket" days.
>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:43 pm (PST) . Posted by:

"nosteele" nosteele

Well, I have spent quite a bit of time trying to research this and I
cannot determine if there is a problem because there are Time Machine
Backups in my Trash. As I said, I am not aware of ever deleting backups
by using Finder and dragging backups to Trash. I am pretty sure I have
always entered Time Machine and deleted the backups from within Time
Machine but hey. I could be wrong.
Is it true as Ed_Reiff suggested that there is something wrong?
I have stated that I have over 130,000 files when trying to delete
Trash. I have used the wrong term, I actually have over 250,000 items,
not files. So, I have seen various commands for deleting Trash. I am a
bit confused by what command I use because these backup folders show
/Volumes/Time Machine Backups/.Trashes/502.
Are these Time Machine backups in an external HD Trash folder? Or on
they on my computer HD? Will they be deleted by using " rm -rf
~/.Trash/*" ?

--- In macsupportcentral@yahoogroups.com, "ed-reiff"; wrote:>>
You must be missing a setting somewhere, my TM has reached max long ago
at 2.5 years and deletes files on the backup disk a couple time a month
to make room and they never show up in the trash.> Try doing a Google
search for the problem and see if you can find an answer online.> Ed> >
--- In macsupportcentral@yahoogroups.com, Chris Jones wrote:>
>> > Hi,> > > > On 24 Feb 2013, at 10:04 PM, "nosteele";
wrote:> > > > > Jim, I am trying to avoid tying up my computer for a
long period of time so with 130,000 files to delete in my Trash, won't
Secure Empty Trash take an even longer time?> > > > Probably yes. Can
you not just start the empty going some time you can leave it, over
night for instance, and just let its finish ...> > > > Chris> > > > > >
> > > > > --- In macsupportcentral@yahoogroups.com, Jim Saklad
wrote:> > >> > > >>> I want to empty my Trash and find that when it
starts to process the number of files to be deleted it has 130,000 files
and counting. I should say that all that is showing Trash are these
eleven TM backups. > > >>> > > >>> Is there a way that I can delete
these backups one by one rather than having Trash do 130,000 files at
one time?> > >> > > >> Try "Secure Empty Trash" from the Finder menu.> >
>> > > >> -- > > >>
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~> > >> Jim Saklad
mailto:jimdoc@> > > > > > > > > > > > > > >
------------------------------------> > > > > > Group FAQ:> > >
http://www.macsupportcentral.com/policies/>> > > > > > Yahoo! Groups
Links> > > > > > > > >> >>--- In macsupportcentral@yahoogroups.com,
"ed-reiff"; wrote:
>
> You must be missing a setting somewhere, my TM has reached max long
ago at 2.5 years and deletes files on the backup disk a couple time a
month to make room and they never show up in the trash.
> Try doing a Google search for the problem and see if you can find an
answer online.
> Ed
>
> --- In macsupportcentral@yahoogroups.com, Chris Jones jonesc@ wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > On 24 Feb 2013, at 10:04 PM, "nosteele"; noearthspam@ wrote:
> >
> > > Jim, I am trying to avoid tying up my computer for a long period
of time so with 130,000 files to delete in my Trash, won't Secure Empty
Trash take an even longer time?
> >
> > Probably yes. Can you not just start the empty going some time you
can leave it, over night for instance, and just let its finish ...
> >
> > Chris
> >
> > >
> > >
> > > --- In macsupportcentral@yahoogroups.com, Jim Saklad
wrote:
> > >>
> > >>> I want to empty my Trash and find that when it starts to process
the number of files to be deleted it has 130,000 files and counting. I
should say that all that is showing Trash are these eleven TM backups.
> > >>>
> > >>> Is there a way that I can delete these backups one by one rather
than having Trash do 130,000 files at one time?
> > >>
> > >> Try "Secure Empty Trash" from the Finder menu.
> > >>
> > >> --
> > >> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> > >> Jim Saklad mailto:jimdoc@
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > > ------------------------------------
> > >
> > > Group FAQ:
> > > http://www.macsupportcentral.com/policies/>
> > >
> > > Yahoo! Groups Links
> > >
> > >
> > >
> >
>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:46 pm (PST) . Posted by:

"Otto Nikolaus" nikyzf

On 24 February 2013 21:55, Jim Saklad jimdoc@icloud.com> wrote:

>
> Try "Secure Empty Trash" from the Finder menu.
>

This won't help. In fact it will make things a lot worse because the
"secure" bit means that every erased byte is overwritten with zeroes
instead of simply being allocated for reuse.

Otto

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:49 pm (PST) . Posted by:

"neelie" neeliec2000



--- In macsupportcentral@yahoogroups.com, "ed-reiff"; wrote:
>
> change the battery
> buy an new mouse
> drop it on the floor and try again
> Ed
>
> --- In macsupportcentral@yahoogroups.com, Patsy Price wrote:
> >
> > My Microsoft optical USB mouse, which has served me well, has quit
> > working several times today. I notice that the light is off, so
> > unplug the mouse from my keyboard and plug it back in and all is well
> > for an hour or so. Then it happens again.
> >
> > My keyboard continues to work fine.
> >
> > Nothing has changed recently. (Except for the addition of 3
> > rambunctious cats to our household in the summer. They have knocked
> > connections loose a few times, but they haven't been near my computer
> > today, and nothing seemed loose when I checked.)
> >
> > Ideas?
> >
> > Patsy
> >
>

Does a corded/cabled mouse have batteries?

Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:50 pm (PST) . Posted by:

"Randy B. Singer" randybrucesinger


On Feb 24, 2013, at 9:52 AM, C Melsbakas wrote:

> Randy--thanks for your comments on the various virusi and their efficacy. I downloaded Sofus recently and noticed the beach ball spinning more than before. I want to take your advice and get rid of it. What's the best way to do it? Don't want to leave any remnants. Thanks.

Apparently there was an uninstaller program included when you installed the program:

http://is.gd/H2kcan
"In your /Applications/ folder, you will find "Sophos Remove.app" "

http://help.bol.ucla.edu/app/answers/detail/a_id/879/~/how-do-i-uninstall-sophos-in-mac-os-x%3F

http://is.gd/2AEHKE

As a last resort:
http://www.sophos.com/en-us/support/knowledgebase/14179.aspx

___________________________________________
Randy B. Singer
Co-author of The Macintosh Bible (4th, 5th, and 6th editions)

Macintosh OS X Routine Maintenance
http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html
___________________________________________

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

GROUP FOOTER MESSAGE