2/17/2013

[macsupport] Digest Number 9381

15 New Messages

Digest #9381
1a
Re: RSS feeds and Safari by "pat412255" pat412255
1b
Re: RSS feeds and Safari by "Dave C" davec2468
1c
Re: RSS feeds and Safari by "Chris Jones" bobstermcbob
1d
Re: RSS feeds and Safari by "Otto Nikolaus" nikyzf
1e
1f
Re: RSS feeds and Safari by "Otto Nikolaus" nikyzf
1g
Re: RSS feeds and Safari by "Daly Jessup" dalyjessup
2a
3a
Re: iPad Mini & Skype by "Harry Flaxman" harry.flaxman
3b
Re: iPad Mini & Skype by "Barbara Adamski" bkadamski

Messages

Sat Feb 16, 2013 6:10 pm (PST) . Posted by:

"pat412255" pat412255


Mail can't be used to receive RSS feeds in Mountain Lion. I've been using Google Reader & included it on my Bookmark Bar in Safari for easy access.

--- In macsupportcentral@yahoogroups.com, Otto Nikolaus wrote:
>
> NetNewsWire is a long-term favourite with many.
> http://netnewswireapp.com/mac>
>
> Mail can be used for to receive RSS, though.
>
> Otto
>
> On 16 February 2013 17:54, Ken wrote:
>
> > One of my favorite sites is encouraging me to use RSS feeds. This is a new
> > concept for me, and when I go to their site, I get a blank page with a
> > message that Safari doesn't support RSS feeds, but I can go to the App
> > Store and download an app which will allow me to use RSS. There are dozens
> > of apps there! Is there a popular fave among you folks? Thanks.
> >
>
>
> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>

Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:55 pm (PST) . Posted by:

"Dave C" davec2468

> NetNewsWire is a long-term favourite with many.
> http://netnewswireapp.com/mac>
>
> Mail can be used for to receive RSS, though.
>
> Otto

-=-=-=-

I think RSS support ended with Mail 4.6 under Snow Leopard.

One more reason I want to stick with SL...

Dave

OS X 10.6.8 Snow Leopard
2011 Mini 2.7 GHz dual i7 / 16 GB / 250 GB & 750 GB

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:30 am (PST) . Posted by:

"Chris Jones" bobstermcbob

Hi.

Mail dropped rss support after SL. Not that it was really that great compared to the dedicated apps anyway.

I use rss a lot and favour NewsRack, both on OSX an iOS. It syncs with google reader and thus between devices. It's not free though, so I suggest you try a free one for a bit, and if you like rss, consider alternatives.

Chris

On 16 Feb 2013, at 06:53 PM, Otto Nikolaus otto.nikolaus@googlemail.com> wrote:

> NetNewsWire is a long-term favourite with many.
> http://netnewswireapp.com/mac>
>
> Mail can be used for to receive RSS, though.
>
> Otto
>
> On 16 February 2013 17:54, Ken avlisk@cox.net> wrote:
>
>> One of my favorite sites is encouraging me to use RSS feeds. This is a new
>> concept for me, and when I go to their site, I get a blank page with a
>> message that Safari doesn't support RSS feeds, but I can go to the App
>> Store and download an app which will allow me to use RSS. There are dozens
>> of apps there! Is there a popular fave among you folks? Thanks.
>
>
> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>
>
>
> ------------------------------------
>
> Group FAQ:
> http://www.macsupportcentral.com/policies/>
>
> Yahoo! Groups Links
>
>
>

Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:21 am (PST) . Posted by:

"Otto Nikolaus" nikyzf

Why do Apple do these things?

Otto

On 17 February 2013 08:30, Chris Jones jonesc@hep.phy.cam.ac.uk> wrote:

> Hi.
>
> Mail dropped rss support after SL. Not that it was really that great
> compared to the dedicated apps anyway.
>
> I use rss a lot and favour NewsRack, both on OSX an iOS. It syncs with
> google reader and thus between devices. It's not free though, so I suggest
> you try a free one for a bit, and if you like rss, consider alternatives.
>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:02 am (PST) . Posted by:

"Ken" avliska

This is amazing. . .I never heard of RSS before yesterday. The site that's promoting it made it sound like the newest and greatest thing, but it looks like it's been around for a while. I like the concept. Why would Apple drop it? Does Apple have an alternative? If they do, I won't need one of those second party RSS apps. (Would I?)
Ken S.

--- In macsupportcentral@yahoogroups.com, Otto Nikolaus wrote:
>
> Why do Apple do these things?
>
> Otto
>
> On 17 February 2013 08:30, Chris Jones wrote:
>
> > Hi.
> > Mail dropped rss support after SL. Not that it was really that great
> > compared to the dedicated apps anyway.
> >
> > I use rss a lot and favour NewsRack, both on OSX an iOS. It syncs with
> > google reader and thus between devices. It's not free though, so I suggest
> > you try a free one for a bit, and if you like rss, consider alternatives.

Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:20 am (PST) . Posted by:

"Otto Nikolaus" nikyzf

Yes, RSS has been around for a while.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RSS>

I thought I would use it a lot, but strangely enough I don't. I tend to go
to sites that I'm interested in fairly regularly and read the content in
full, rather than look at RSS feeds first.

You might find these useful.
<
http://www.lifehack.org/articles/technology/5-mac-os-x-rss-readers-worth-giving-a-shot.html>
or
http://bit.ly/arquj>
http://osxdaily.com/2012/10/16/rss-feeds-notification-center-os-x/> or
http://bit.ly/SZao8j>

Otto

On 17 February 2013 13:02, Ken avlisk@cox.net> wrote:

> This is amazing. . .I never heard of RSS before yesterday. The site that's
> promoting it made it sound like the newest and greatest thing, but it looks
> like it's been around for a while. I like the concept. Why would Apple drop
> it? Does Apple have an alternative? If they do, I won't need one of those
> second party RSS apps. (Would I?)
>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:56 am (PST) . Posted by:

"Daly Jessup" dalyjessup


On Feb 17, 2013, at 12:30 AM, Chris Jones wrote:

> Mail dropped rss support after SL. Not that it was really that great compared to the dedicated apps anyway.

I don't think that's correct. I'm using Mail.app 5.3 in Lion, and not only get an RSS feed, but in Mail's Preferences, one of the tabs is "RSS" and in the "Default RSS Reader" dropdown, Mail is listed as the first choice.

Daly

Sat Feb 16, 2013 6:25 pm (PST) . Posted by:

"HAL9000" jrswebhome

I use a 27" iMac, Mountain Lion, CS5 Design Suite.
I opened Photoshop/Edit/Keyboard Shortcuts.
Found Shortcuts for Application Menus/Image/Adjustments/Curves.
Selected and deleted the keystroke for Curves (Apple+C).
Found Shortcuts for Application Menus/Layer/New Adjustments Layer/Curves.
Selected the blank. Hit Apple+C/ACCEPT.

I didn't try to type the word "apple", I hit the apple command key and c at the same time.
Worked perfectly.

--- In macsupportcentral@yahoogroups.com, Jeannie wrote:
>
> Mac pro, mountain Lion ,CS6
>
> I want to change the levels, curves, shortcuts etc to be that of
> adjustment layers, and you need to have the symbol for Command
>
> Jeannie
>
>
> On Sat, Feb 16, 2013 at 5:17 PM, HAL9000 wrote:
>
> > Hi, are you saying that on your Mac, if you choose Photoshop/Edit/Keyboard
> > shortcuts to change the your "new layer" command key selection to "new
> > adjustment layer" command key selection, that Photoshop will not allow you?
> > What machine/system/photoshop are you using when you ask a question? jr
> >
> > --- In macsupportcentral@yahoogroups.com, Jeannie
> > wrote:
> > >
> > > When i was a pc user, i could chnage the keyboard short cuts on photoshop
> > > to be what i wanted..such as changing the short cut from level to be a
> > > levels adjustment layer. With my mac, it says I have to have command in
> > > front of the short cut, but when I press the command key, it doesn't show
> > > up, and PS will not take CMD. Is there any way of pressing the command
> > key
> > > and getting that froggy design to show in the space?
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > Jeannie
> > >
> > > --
> > > Jeannie
> > > View my images :
> > > http://www.pbase.com/nikonjeannie
> > >
> > >
> > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
> > >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > ------------------------------------
> >
> > Group FAQ:
> > http://www.macsupportcentral.com/policies/>
> >
> > Yahoo! Groups Links
> >
> >
> >
> >
>
>
> --
> Jeannie
> View my images :
> http://www.pbase.com/nikonjeannie
>
>
> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>

Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:25 pm (PST) . Posted by:

"Jeannie" chloe898

Thanks that worked. I do not know why it didn't work this afternoon. It is
so much easier to use keyboard shortcuts for adjustment layers than to go
to the pallette.

Jeannie

On Sat, Feb 16, 2013 at 7:25 PM, HAL9000 jrswebhome@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I use a 27" iMac, Mountain Lion, CS5 Design Suite.
> I opened Photoshop/Edit/Keyboard Shortcuts.
> Found Shortcuts for Application Menus/Image/Adjustments/Curves.
> Selected and deleted the keystroke for Curves (Apple+C).
> Found Shortcuts for Application Menus/Layer/New Adjustments Layer/Curves.
> Selected the blank. Hit Apple+C/ACCEPT.
>
> I didn't try to type the word "apple", I hit the apple command key and c
> at the same time.
> Worked perfectly.
>
>
>
> --- In macsupportcentral@yahoogroups.com, Jeannie
> wrote:
> >
> > Mac pro, mountain Lion ,CS6
> >
> > I want to change the levels, curves, shortcuts etc to be that of
> > adjustment layers, and you need to have the symbol for Command
> >
> > Jeannie
> >
> >
> > On Sat, Feb 16, 2013 at 5:17 PM, HAL9000 wrote:
> >
> > > Hi, are you saying that on your Mac, if you choose
> Photoshop/Edit/Keyboard
> > > shortcuts to change the your "new layer" command key selection to "new
> > > adjustment layer" command key selection, that Photoshop will not allow
> you?
> > > What machine/system/photoshop are you using when you ask a question?
> jr
> > >
> > > --- In macsupportcentral@yahoogroups.com, Jeannie
> > > wrote:
> > > >
> > > > When i was a pc user, i could chnage the keyboard short cuts on
> photoshop
> > > > to be what i wanted..such as changing the short cut from level to be
> a
> > > > levels adjustment layer. With my mac, it says I have to have
> command in
> > > > front of the short cut, but when I press the command key, it doesn't
> show
> > > > up, and PS will not take CMD. Is there any way of pressing the
> command
> > > key
> > > > and getting that froggy design to show in the space?
> > > >
> > > > Thanks,
> > > > Jeannie
> > > >
> > > > --
> > > > Jeannie
> > > > View my images :
> > > > http://www.pbase.com/nikonjeannie
> > > >
> > > >
> > > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
> > > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > > ------------------------------------
> > >
> > > Group FAQ:
> > > http://www.macsupportcentral.com/policies/>
> > >
> > > Yahoo! Groups Links
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> >
> >
> > --
> > Jeannie
> > View my images :
> > http://www.pbase.com/nikonjeannie
> >
> >
> > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
> >
>
>
>
> ------------------------------------
>
> Group FAQ:
> http://www.macsupportcentral.com/policies/>
>
> Yahoo! Groups Links
>
>
>
>

--
Jeannie
View my images :
http://www.pbase.com/nikonjeannie

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:25 pm (PST) . Posted by:

"Harry Flaxman" harry.flaxman


AFAIK, there is only one app with a pay as well as free function.
The money comes into play when one wants to make device to landline or cell calls.
Device to computer or other net connected device calls are 'free', not including any data charges.

H
------------------------------
On Sat, Feb 16, 2013 7:57 PM CST Donna Ells wrote:

>thanks, everyone.
>I will ask her again. Maybe she downloaded the wrong app.
>She keeps saying it is asking her to pay, and I keep telling her to choose
>the freebie app.
>
>Thanks again,
>de
>
>From: Barb Adamski adamski@telus.net>
>Reply-To: Mac Support Central macsupportcentral@yahoogroups.com>
>Date: Saturday, February 16, 2013 8:32 PM
>To: Mac Support Central macsupportcentral@yahoogroups.com>
>Cc: Mac Support Central macsupportcentral@yahoogroups.com>
>Subject: Re: [macsupport] iPad Mini & Skype
>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>> Does she have the Skype app? It works find on the iPad 2.
>>
>> Barbara K. Adamski
>> Sent from my iPad
>>
>> On 2013-02-16, at 10:40 AM, Donna Ells dellis70@tampabay.rr.com
>> > wrote:
>>
>> > My friend purchased a new iPad Mini and is trying to set up freebie video
>> > call Skype.
>> > Apple Care won't assist her, saying they don't support that product.
>> >
>> > She has another Mac without a camera, and was able to set up the account,
>> > but the iPad Mini is not allowing her to use that account.
>> >
>> > Does anyone know if the tablets are treated differently by Skype than other
>> > destop and laptop devices?
>>
>
>
>
>
>[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>

Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:15 pm (PST) . Posted by:

"Barbara Adamski" bkadamski

That's my experience. I log into the app with my Skype name and passport and it gives me the same access that I get on my iMac.

I do pay for Skype, though. But the app was free.

b

On 2013-02-16, at 8:25 PM, Harry Flaxman hflaxman001@yahoo.com> wrote:

>
> AFAIK, there is only one app with a pay as well as free function.
> The money comes into play when one wants to make device to landline or cell calls.
> Device to computer or other net connected device calls are 'free', not including any data charges.
>
> H
> ------------------------------
> On Sat, Feb 16, 2013 7:57 PM CST Donna Ells wrote:
>
> >thanks, everyone.
> >I will ask her again. Maybe she downloaded the wrong app.
> >She keeps saying it is asking her to pay, and I keep telling her to choose
> >the freebie app.
> >
> >Thanks again,
> >de
> >
> >From: Barb Adamski adamski@telus.net>
> >Reply-To: Mac Support Central macsupportcentral@yahoogroups.com>
> >Date: Saturday, February 16, 2013 8:32 PM
> >To: Mac Support Central macsupportcentral@yahoogroups.com>
> >Cc: Mac Support Central macsupportcentral@yahoogroups.com>
> >Subject: Re: [macsupport] iPad Mini & Skype
> >
> >>
> >>
> >>
> >>
> >>
> >> Does she have the Skype app? It works find on the iPad 2.
> >>
> >> Barbara K. Adamski
> >> Sent from my iPad
> >>
> >> On 2013-02-16, at 10:40 AM, Donna Ells dellis70@tampabay.rr.com
> >> > wrote:
> >>
> >> > My friend purchased a new iPad Mini and is trying to set up freebie video
> >> > call Skype.
> >> > Apple Care won't assist her, saying they don't support that product.
> >> >
> >> > She has another Mac without a camera, and was able to set up the account,
> >> > but the iPad Mini is not allowing her to use that account.
> >> >
> >> > Does anyone know if the tablets are treated differently by Skype than other
> >> > destop and laptop devices?
> >>
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
> >
>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:51 pm (PST) . Posted by:

"titnaw" titnaw

This is crazy but I go to Staples and buy the windows 8 for 99 dollars. It doesn't work without windows. They tell me I need a windows operating system. That lis 199 dollars- I say no and take back the $99 dollar one.
I have another windows operating system besides the XP one. This one is also for a Gateway and says it is aWindows Vista Home Premium 32 Bit Operating Disc.

When I try to use it, it says "you can not open because Microsoft Windows applications are. not supported by OS XL

Any ideas what I do?
Thanks Tina

--- In macsupportcentral@yahoogroups.com, "titnaw" wrote:
>
>
> Thanks Otto and Chris,
> I have OS 10.7.5 The XP disk I have is for the Gateway Computer. I just checked Staples and they have a Window 8 for $99.00. I am on my way to get it.. Wish me luck I may be back a help request
> Tina
> --- In macsupportcentral@yahoogroups.com, Otto Nikolaus wrote:
> >
> > Which version of Parallels, and of OS X? Is the XP disk a full Windows disk
> > or for Gateway only?
> > http://www.parallels.com/products/desktop/>
> >
> > Otto
> >
> > On 15 February 2013 11:27, titnaw wrote:
> >
> > > I bought Parallels from the Apple Store. I had a Windows XP disk from my
> > > old gateway computer but it says it is not supported by OS operating
> > > system. What do i need to buy to use this program.
> > > Thanks for your help.
> > >
> >
> >
> > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
> >
>

Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:21 pm (PST) . Posted by:

"HAL9000" jrswebhome

> It doesn't work without windows

Maybe I am wrong, but why don't you use Disk Utility and format the win doze hd as a Mac disk first. Then install a mac system and parallels on to it. Or don't install a system onto it and use it for storage. A hard drive is a hard drive. They are all alike. It's how you format the hd that matters, either mac or pc.

Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:24 am (PST) . Posted by:

"Chris Jones" bobstermcbob

Hi,

I get the feeling you aren't really understanding how parallels works or how to use it. Are you trying to open the windows disk directly, or via parallels ? OSX I indeed cannot directly use a windows disk. This is where parallels comes in, as it lets you install windows as a virtual machine.

There are plenty of guides on the web to parallels I suggest you pick one and work through it.

http://download.parallels.com/desktop/v4/docs/en/Parallels_Desktop_Users_Guide/

For instance.

Chris

On 17 Feb 2013, at 04:51 AM, "titnaw" titnaw@gmail.com> wrote:

> This is crazy but I go to Staples and buy the windows 8 for 99 dollars. It doesn't work without windows. They tell me I need a windows operating system. That lis 199 dollars- I say no and take back the $99 dollar one.
> I have another windows operating system besides the XP one. This one is also for a Gateway and says it is aWindows Vista Home Premium 32 Bit Operating Disc.
>
> When I try to use it, it says "you can not open because Microsoft Windows applications are. not supported by OS XL
>
> Any ideas what I do?
> Thanks Tina
>
> --- In macsupportcentral@yahoogroups.com, "titnaw" wrote:
>>
>>
>> Thanks Otto and Chris,
>> I have OS 10.7.5 The XP disk I have is for the Gateway Computer. I just checked Staples and they have a Window 8 for $99.00. I am on my way to get it.. Wish me luck I may be back a help request
>> Tina
>> --- In macsupportcentral@yahoogroups.com, Otto Nikolaus wrote:
>>>
>>> Which version of Parallels, and of OS X? Is the XP disk a full Windows disk
>>> or for Gateway only?
>>> http://www.parallels.com/products/desktop/>
>>>
>>> Otto
>>>
>>> On 15 February 2013 11:27, titnaw wrote:
>>>
>>>> I bought Parallels from the Apple Store. I had a Windows XP disk from my
>>>> old gateway computer but it says it is not supported by OS operating
>>>> system. What do i need to buy to use this program.
>>>> Thanks for your help.
>>>
>>>
>>> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>
>
>
>
> ------------------------------------
>
> Group FAQ:
> http://www.macsupportcentral.com/policies/>
>
> Yahoo! Groups Links
>
>
>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:19 am (PST) . Posted by:

"Otto Nikolaus" nikyzf

I'm thinking this too.

Tina,

There are 2 ways of running Windows on a Mac. Both require a copy of
Windows.

All Intel Macs come with Boot Camp, which allows you to install and run
Windows, but only as a "dual boot". This means the Mac can boot and run
either OS X or Windows, but not at the same time. This requires no extra
software other than Windows.

Alternatively, you can install a virtualisation app such as Parallels
Desktop, VMWare Fusion, or Sun/Oracle Virtual Box. These allow you to run
Windows (or another OS) as a "guest" within OS X, so you can run both at
the same time. You still need a copy of Windows, of course.

Search on any of the above and you will find lots more info. Wikipedia
would be a good start.

Just out of curiosity, what requires you to run Windows?

Otto

On 17 February 2013 08:24, Chris Jones jonesc@hep.phy.cam.ac.uk> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I get the feeling you aren't really understanding how parallels works or
> how to use it. Are you trying to open the windows disk directly, or via
> parallels ? OSX I indeed cannot directly use a windows disk. This is where
> parallels comes in, as it lets you install windows as a virtual machine.
>
> There are plenty of guides on the web to parallels I suggest you pick one
> and work through it.
>
>
> http://download.parallels.com/desktop/v4/docs/en/Parallels_Desktop_Users_Guide/
>
> For instance.
>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

GROUP FOOTER MESSAGE