3/16/2012

[macsupport] Digest Number 8790

Mac Support Central

Messages In This Digest (25 Messages)

1a.
Re: EarthLink email address is out of storage space From: Denver Dan
2a.
Re: iPad Trade In Program from Apple From: Denver Dan
3a.
Re: Two Memory Questions From: Bill B.
4a.
Re: Run Rosetta apps under Lion From: James Robertson
5a.
Newbie to Mac From: Darline Stoddard
5b.
Re: Newbie to Mac From: Harry Flaxman
5c.
Re: Newbie to Mac From: Jay Abraham
5d.
Re: Newbie to Mac From: Barry Austern
5e.
Re: Newbie to Mac From: Jim Saklad
5f.
Re: Newbie to Mac From: Harry Flaxman
5g.
Re: Newbie to Mac From: Darline Stoddard
5h.
Re: Newbie to Mac From: Harry Flaxman
5i.
Re: Newbie to Mac From: Jay Abraham
5j.
Re: Newbie to Mac From: Harry Flaxman
5k.
Re: Newbie to Mac From: Darline Stoddard
5l.
Re: Newbie to Mac From: Jay Abraham
6.
QuickTime missing From: DaveC
7a.
Re: menubar question From: Oneal Neumann
7b.
Re: menubar question From: N.A. Nada
7c.
Re: menubar question From: Denver Dan
7d.
Re: menubar question From: Otto Nikolaus
7e.
Re: menubar question From: Denver Dan
8a.
NPR Retracts Negative Story Foxconn Factory From: Denver Dan
8b.
Re: NPR Retracts Negative Story Foxconn Factory From: Harry Flaxman
8c.
Re: NPR Retracts Negative Story Foxconn Factory From: Tod Hopkins

Messages

1a.

Re: EarthLink email address is out of storage space

Posted by: "Denver Dan" denver.dan@verizon.net   denverdan22180

Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:53 am (PDT)



Howdy.

Louise, the mailbox full issue can be due to more than one thing. But
it could be due to having an IMAP type of email account on one of your
computers.

There are two basic types of email account behaviors that can be used
when you create an email account in Apple's Mail program (or in other
email programs).

These two types of mail accounts determine how mail messages are
retrieved in your email program.

IMAP type account

POP type account

You can see these descriptions in Apple Mail > Mail Preferences > click
the Accounts icon on the Toolbar.

Your account(s) listed under the Accounts column should include a 2nd
line that says whether the account is IMAP or POP.

POP (or POP3) means Post Office Protocol.

IMAP (or IMAP4) means Internet Message Access Protocol.

If your mail account is POP, then when the mail program checks for
messages on your service provider's email server computer and downloads
those messages, it then tells the email server to delete the messages
from the server. So your server's mailbox for you is emptied each time
your email program checks for messages.

If your mail account is IMAP, then email messages are not automatically
and immediately deleted from the server's mailbox for your account.
This is a setting that can be adjusted by the use in your mail
program. It might be set to not delete messages for 30 days, or for a
week. IMAP may also just download a message "marker" each time your
program checks for new messages then it waits for you to click and read
that message before downloading the rest of it.

So an IMAP type of mail account can mean that the mail server's mailbox
for your account can get full more easily.

Here's an article on these acronyms and meanings.

Know Your E-mail Acronyms: POP, IMAP, and SMTP (by F. Kizner,
2/24/2009)

<http://www.allbusiness.com/technology/computer-networks-network-servers/11790825-1.html>

Denver Dan

On Thu, 15 Mar 2012 19:14:28 -0400, Louise Stewart wrote:
> A couple of weeks ago I got a Mac Mini and a friend installed it for
> me and installed a KVM switch so I could switch back and forth
> between the Mini and my old G4 until I get all of my new Mini
> software. But since then I've gotten this message: EarthLink email
> address is out of storage space. I have email (the Mail that comes
> with the system) on both computers. Mail downloads all the time onto
> the Mini but not on the G4. I don't understand why, when it's
> downloaded to the Mini, it's not removed from the Earthlink site. But
> it's not, obviously, so then I have to switch to the G4 and go
> download all the same emails. Is there a way to prevent that without
> taking Mail off of the G4? And if I have to do that, how do I delete
> it?
>
>
> Bear in mind I'm not the LEAST bit technical, so plz be really
> simple. A "for dummies" version.
>
> Louise

2a.

Re: iPad Trade In Program from Apple

Posted by: "Denver Dan" denver.dan@verizon.net   denverdan22180

Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:55 am (PDT)



Howdy.

I just heard a radio story this morning that Apple may be offering up
to $300 on a trade in but I haven't seen any details on this and
haven't had time to check.

Worth looking into though.

Denver Dan

On Thu, 15 Mar 2012 16:58:26 -0700, jcs wrote:
>
> Dan, try Ebay, you can get a much better price than what the trade in
> program offers. I just saw an I Pad 1st gen. 32 gig going for over $
> 250.00 on Ebay. Janos
>
>
>
>
>
> Denver Dan wrote:
>>
>> Howdy.
>>
>> Apple is offering a trade in program for the new iPad.
>>
>> It looks like it could be as much as $205.00 USD for iPad 2 model (iPad
>> 1 may not qualify) in the form of some kind of gift card.
>>
>> The trade in program is only available in the United States at this
>> time.

3a.

Re: Two Memory Questions

Posted by: "Bill B." bill501@mindspring.com   kernos501

Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:23 am (PDT)



It can be a memory issue. Safari is known for not releasing its RAM when windows are closed. So with long browsing sessions it can fill up your RAM, requiring the use of virtual memory which will cause the beachball as data is read and written to disk. Quitting and re-opening Safari will generally solve the problem.

Regarding 4 gigs and Lion. Yes, it's enough RAM. RAM is currently the cheapest, most effective upgrade. If SSD prices ever come down, they may arguably be a better upgrade.

At 10:10 PM -0400 3/15/12, paul smith wrote:
>The Safari beachball issue is not related to RAM. Try emptying Safari's cache. Also make sure you have a substantial amount of free hard drive space for the use of such space gobblers as virtual memory swapfiles.
>I run Lion with 4 GB of RAM on a similar machine to yours. I am very happy with its performance.
>--
>PSmith
>MacBook Pro, 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB DDR2 SDRAM, OS 10.7.3 iPhone 4S 64 GB, iOS 5.1
>
>
>
>
>
>On Mar 15, 2012, at 4:52 PM, Roger Harris wrote:
>
>1. Often upon arrival at a webpage, I immediately want to scroll down because the meat of the website is below the header/photo. When I try to scroll down I get the spinning beachball. Eventually, after every single item has loaded on the website, the beachball goes away and all is well. This happens almost all the time now and that was not the case when the computer was new. Do I need more memory?
>
>2. Running Snow Leopard. Thinking of upgrading to Lion. I have ordered some more memory so that I can upgrade to the max (4GB). Is 4GB going to be enough, or am I going to be disappointed?

4a.

Re: Run Rosetta apps under Lion

Posted by: "James Robertson" jamesrob@sonic.net   jamesrob328i

Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:31 am (PDT)




On Mar 15, 2012, at 5:53 AM, Jon Kreisler wrote:

> If I read Apple's license agreement correctly, OS X 10.6.x workstation
> should be ok running in a VM, IF AND ONLY IF, the only copy of OS X 10.6.x
> is a single VM. If you have any other bootable disk with 10.6.x, you cannot
> run in a VM unless you purchase additional copies of 10.6.x. Does this
> sound right?

Nope. Apple will allow Lion to be virtualized. Snow Leopard SERVER can be virtualized, but not Snow Leopard Workstation.

Apple forced VMware to update Fusion 4.1 within two or three days when VMware released it capable of virtualizing Snow Leopard. I'll bet there are large numbers of people who'll hold off on updating their Fusion programs because of that little "oops."

--
Jim Robertson

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

5a.

Newbie to Mac

Posted by: "Darline Stoddard" jakesmom13827@yahoo.com   jakesmom13827

Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:59 am (PDT)



Hi all. I have been a pc user for about 12 years and
last week bought a Mac Mini. I love it but am feeling
a bit overwhelmed.

I played the Sims 3 on my pc and am trying to figure
out a way to play them on my mac without having to
go out and buy them all for mac. We do have an
external hard drive. Can I download the pc games
onto the external hard drive and play them on the
mac?

Thanks in advance
Darline

5b.

Re: Newbie to Mac

Posted by: "Harry Flaxman" harry.flaxman@me.com   hflaxman001

Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:14 am (PDT)



On 3/16/2012 1:59 PM, Darline Stoddard wrote:
> Hi all. I have been a pc user for about 12 years and
> last week bought a Mac Mini. I love it but am feeling
> a bit overwhelmed.
>
> I played the Sims 3 on my pc and am trying to figure
> out a way to play them on my mac without having to
> go out and buy them all for mac. We do have an
> external hard drive. Can I download the pc games
> onto the external hard drive and play them on the
> mac?
>

Hi Darline and welcome!

There are several different options for running Windows on Intel Mac.
The first, and least expensive, is to use Apple's Bootcamp Utility. You
must own a copy of Windows 7, (with the latest OS X). You run the
utility and partition your drive to create a Windows partition and
shrinking the OS X partition.

The utility will then prompt you to insert the Windows install disc and
start with a normal install.

At this point, you can then either boot into a 'real' Windows machine,
or your OS X based Mac.

For gamers, I would think that this would be the obvious choice.
Running Windows this way will create the fastest possible Windows machine.

The other choices are virtualization. The programs Parallels Desktop
and VMware Fusion are the 2 leaders in this area, but will cost more
because they are commercial programs.

They are also quite a bit slower than the native Bootcamp setup.

I use both. The beauty of the virtualization is that one does not have
to reboot the Mac to start Windows. The downside is some compatibility
problems and speed.

I use both products in conjunction with my Bootcamp partition to start
this way. I can also start in native Windows by rebooting.

Confusing, I know. I would think that you should be able to set up a
visit to the Genius Bar for assistance with this during the first 90
days of your ownership, unless you bought Applecare.

The Genius Bar is open to all, but, I don't know how much help you will
get with something like Bootcamp after the initial 90 days.

I'm sure others will chime in here and help as well.

Harry

5c.

Re: Newbie to Mac

Posted by: "Jay Abraham" jaygroups@abrahamgroup.net   kerala01212001

Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:22 pm (PDT)



It might be cheaper to rebuy the SIMS than buy a non OEM Windows 7 version which is what you need. Windows 7 is around $200. The various SIM modules run from $10 - $30 so if this is the only reason you need Windows, I would buy the new software.

Jay

On Mar 16, 2012, at 1:14 PM, Harry Flaxman wrote:

> The first, and least expensive, is to use Apple's Bootcamp Utility. You
> must own a copy of Windows 7, (with the latest OS X). You run the
> utility and partition your drive to create a Windows partition and
> shrinking the OS X partition.

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

5d.

Re: Newbie to Mac

Posted by: "Barry Austern" barryaus@fuse.net   barryaus

Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:26 pm (PDT)



At 1:59 PM -0400 3/16/12, Darline Stoddard wrote:

>
>
>Hi all. I have been a pc user for about 12 years and
>last week bought a Mac Mini. I love it but am feeling
>a bit overwhelmed.
>
>I played the Sims 3 on my pc and am trying to figure
>out a way to play them on my mac without having to
>go out and buy them all for mac. We do have an
>external hard drive. Can I download the pc games
>onto the external hard drive and play them on the
>mac?

Yes, but you will have to run Windoze applications under Windoze.
This will require one of two things, both of which will require your
purchasing a copy of Windoze and maybe something else. You can
install BootCamp, and reboot your machine such that it is a Windows
machine. As Macs now have Intel processors this can be done.
Or you can run a virtualization program such as VMWare Fusion or
Parallels Desktop. Either costs in the neighborhood of $75 or so.
Both work well. I've never tried BootCamp, so I can't say.
--
Barry Austern
barryaus@fuse.net

5e.

Re: Newbie to Mac

Posted by: "Jim Saklad" jimdoc@me.com   jimdoc01

Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:27 pm (PDT)



> It might be cheaper to rebuy the SIMS than buy a non OEM Windows 7 version which is what you need. Windows 7 is around $200. The various SIM modules run from $10 - $30 so if this is the only reason you need Windows, I would buy the new software.
> Jay

Or look into whether Crossover will work (<http://www.codeweavers.com/products/>)

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Jim Saklad mailto:jimdoc@me.com

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

5f.

Re: Newbie to Mac

Posted by: "Harry Flaxman" harry.flaxman@me.com   hflaxman001

Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:30 pm (PDT)



On 3/16/2012 3:22 PM, Jay Abraham wrote:
> It might be cheaper to rebuy the SIMS than buy a non OEM Windows 7 version which is what you need. Windows 7 is around $200. The various SIM modules run from $10 - $30 so if this is the only reason you need Windows, I would buy the new software.
>
> Jay
>
> On Mar 16, 2012, at 1:14 PM, Harry Flaxman wrote:
>
>> The first, and least expensive, is to use Apple's Bootcamp Utility. You
>> must own a copy of Windows 7, (with the latest OS X). You run the
>> utility and partition your drive to create a Windows partition and
>> shrinking the OS X partition.
>
>
Coming from a Win pc, I would think that Darline might have a copy of
Win 7 'laying around', so to speak.

It wouldn't cost anything if that were the case!

Harry

5g.

Re: Newbie to Mac

Posted by: "Darline Stoddard" jakesmom13827@yahoo.com   jakesmom13827

Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:06 pm (PDT)



Thanks everyone..I guess I will just
rebuy the games...I don't have a
windows disk laying around because
it came already installed on the pc.

One more quick question for you all..
I can buy the sims games as a
download..now can I save those on
the external hard drive and play it
from there or do I need to install
them directly on the mac itself?

Thanks again
Darline

On Mar 16, 2012, at 3:30 PM, Harry Flaxman wrote:

> On 3/16/2012 3:22 PM, Jay Abraham wrote:
>> It might be cheaper to rebuy the SIMS than buy a non OEM Windows 7 version which is what you need. Windows 7 is around $200. The various SIM modules run from $10 - $30 so if this is the only reason you need Windows, I would buy the new software.
>>
>> Jay
>>
>> On Mar 16, 2012, at 1:14 PM, Harry Flaxman wrote:
>>
>>> The first, and least expensive, is to use Apple's Bootcamp Utility. You
>>> must own a copy of Windows 7, (with the latest OS X). You run the
>>> utility and partition your drive to create a Windows partition and
>>> shrinking the OS X partition.
>>
>>
> Coming from a Win pc, I would think that Darline might have a copy of
> Win 7 'laying around', so to speak.
>
> It wouldn't cost anything if that were the case!
>
> Harry
>
>
>
>
> ------------------------------------
>
> Group FAQ:
> <http://www.macsupportcentral.com/policies/>
>
> Yahoo! Groups Links
>
>
>

5h.

Re: Newbie to Mac

Posted by: "Harry Flaxman" harry.flaxman@me.com   hflaxman001

Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:09 pm (PDT)



On 3/16/2012 4:06 PM, Darline Stoddard wrote:
> Thanks everyone..I guess I will just
> rebuy the games...I don't have a
> windows disk laying around because
> it came already installed on the pc.
>
> One more quick question for you all..
> I can buy the sims games as a
> download..now can I save those on
> the external hard drive and play it
> from there or do I need to install
> them directly on the mac itself?

I can't remember the last time I actually bought a disc to install
anything! I've always downloaded the software. I don't play the Sims,
so I'm not familiar with the distributors. There are probably plenty of
sources.

Why not Google it!

Harry

>

5i.

Re: Newbie to Mac

Posted by: "Jay Abraham" jaygroups@abrahamgroup.net   kerala01212001

Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:11 pm (PDT)



You can probably install on External hard drive but you may loose some performance depending on whether you are using the Firewire or USB connection. Are you concerned about space on your Mac?

Jay

On Mar 16, 2012, at 3:06 PM, Darline Stoddard wrote:

> now can I save those on
> the external hard drive and play it
> from there or do I need to install
> them directly on the mac itself?

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

5j.

Re: Newbie to Mac

Posted by: "Harry Flaxman" harry.flaxman@me.com   hflaxman001

Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:13 pm (PDT)



On 3/16/2012 4:09 PM, Harry Flaxman wrote:
> On 3/16/2012 4:06 PM, Darline Stoddard wrote:
>> Thanks everyone..I guess I will just
>> rebuy the games...I don't have a
>> windows disk laying around because
>> it came already installed on the pc.
>>
>> One more quick question for you all..
>> I can buy the sims games as a
>> download..now can I save those on
>> the external hard drive and play it
>> from there or do I need to install
>> them directly on the mac itself?
>
>
> I can't remember the last time I actually bought a disc to install
> anything! I've always downloaded the software. I don't play the Sims,
> so I'm not familiar with the distributors. There are probably plenty of
> sources.
>
> Why not Google it!
>

Wow, they're all over the place:

Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Sims-Mac/dp/B00004TFJC

General search on Google:

<https://www.google.com/search?sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=the+sims+mac#q=the+sims+mac&hl=en&prmd=imvnsa&source=univ&tbm=shop&tbo=u&sa=X&ei=gJ5jT9eXMeHj0QGAyLmsCA&ved=0CFIQrQQ&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_cp.r_qf.,cf.osb&fp=fff9cee286f301b5&biw=1165&bih=841>

or

http://bit.ly/FOp154

Harry

5k.

Re: Newbie to Mac

Posted by: "Darline Stoddard" jakesmom13827@yahoo.com   jakesmom13827

Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:18 pm (PDT)



Actually I am worried about the space..haha..
we bought 8 gb and installed it..but each game
is like 2 gb..and there is like 10 games (maybe
more)..
On Mar 16, 2012, at 4:11 PM, Jay Abraham wrote:

> You can probably install on External hard drive but you may loose some performance depending on whether you are using the Firewire or USB connection. Are you concerned about space on your Mac?
>
> Jay
>
> On Mar 16, 2012, at 3:06 PM, Darline Stoddard wrote:
>
>> now can I save those on
>> the external hard drive and play it
>> from there or do I need to install
>> them directly on the mac itself?
>
>
>
> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>
>
>
> ------------------------------------
>
> Group FAQ:
> <http://www.macsupportcentral.com/policies/>
>
> Yahoo! Groups Links
>
>
>

5l.

Re: Newbie to Mac

Posted by: "Jay Abraham" jaygroups@abrahamgroup.net   kerala01212001

Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:29 pm (PDT)



Darline,

You may be confused between the RAM memory on the Mac and the Hard Drive (HD) Memory. I believe the smallest HD space on a new Mac Mini is 500 GB. You should have plenty of room to install all 10 games. The RAM memory will help in playing the games but your game isn't stored in RAM memory. You can check to see how much Hard drive memory is available by selecting the disk - usually called Macintosh HD, unless you changed the name. If you select the drive, and press apple command I simulataneously you will see both the capacity of the drive and the remaining space. You can see the remaining space available by just opening any Finder window and looking at the bottom.

Hope that helps.

Jay

PS - As you are new, I would recommend getting the external drive as well - probably a minimum of 1 GB and using Time Machine to backup. Time Machine will be found in the Apple Menu: System Preferences. There are plenty of other backup programs you may want to try but this is easy to set up and activate until you research the other options.

On Mar 16, 2012, at 3:18 PM, Darline Stoddard wrote:

> Actually I am worried about the space..haha..
> we bought 8 gb and installed it..but each game
> is like 2 gb..and there is like 10 games (maybe
> more)..
> On Mar 16, 2012, at 4:11 PM, Jay Abraham wrote:
>
> > You can probably install on External hard drive but you may loose some performance depending on whether you are using the Firewire or USB connection. Are you concerned about space on your Mac?
> >
> > Jay
> >

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

6.

QuickTime missing

Posted by: "DaveC" davec2468@yahoo.com   davec2468

Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:03 am (PDT)



I went to look at the iPad advert video on the Apple web site and
when I clicked on it, I was told to "Get QuickTime. Download
Quicktime to view this video" and a link to fetch the installer.

Shouldn't Software Update take care of this? I just ran SU and it
says there are some updates available, but none is QT.

What gives?

Thanks,
Dave
--
2011 Mac mini 2.7 GHz i7 / 4 GB / 750 GB
OS X 10.6.8 (yes, Snow Leopard)

7a.

Re: menubar question

Posted by: "Oneal Neumann" wardell.h.s@gmail.com   newalander

Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:15 am (PDT)




To open any application menu, one merely positions the cursor over the menu name and clicks. Thereafter one can move laterally to any other menu by using the left or right arrow. This only works if the original menu window stays open.

QUESTION: How can one open an application's menu without having to use a cursor? In other words, by just using a keystroke shortcut.

Thanx. Oneal

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

7b.

Re: menubar question

Posted by: "N.A. Nada" whodo678@comcast.net

Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:05 pm (PDT)




On Mar 15, 2012, at 8:48 AM, Oneal Neumann wrote:

>
> To open any application menu, one merely positions the cursor over the menu name and clicks. Thereafter one can move laterally to any other menu by using the left or right arrow. This only works if the original menu window stays open.
>
> QUESTION: How can one open an application‚s menu without having to use a cursor? In other words, by just using a keystroke shortcut.

If you have remembered the keystrokes you can go right to the operation, but I know of no keystrokes to open the menu.

Oneal, what was the original subject line where you found the question?
7c.

Re: menubar question

Posted by: "Denver Dan" denver.dan@verizon.net   denverdan22180

Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:15 pm (PDT)



Howdy.

You can launch applications in several ways without using a mouse.

1. Keyboard method.

Open Keyboard in System Preferences.

In the Keyboard tab, click the check box on for Use all F1, F2, etc.,
keys as standard function keys.

In the Keyboard Shortcuts tab, click Keyboard & Text Input in left pane
and note the various keyboard commands in the right hand pane.

The caret symbol "^" means the escape esc key. So if you press Esc F3
the first item in the Dock will be highlighted. This would be Finder.
Then press Return and that action is executed (Finder window opens).

After pressing Esc F3, you can then use your arrow keys to move to
other icons on the Dock.

Esc F2 does the same but with the Menu bar. The Apple Menu is
highlighted and you can press Return to open it, then down arrow
pressed for commands. Press Right Arrow to move to the File menu.

2. Speech. Spoken commands.

Open the Speech panel in System Preferences. Then click Speech
Recognition tab and clic Speakable Items radio button on.

A new microphone icon will appear on your Desktop. It's round and
blue/gray and has the Esc command in the center.

Then you have to learn to use Speakable Items. In The Speech panel, in
the Commands tab, click Open Speakable Items Folder. This will open a
folder in your home user account (installed by the Mac OS X installer)
that lists about 37 different voice/speakable commands. Plus a sub
folder named Application Speakable Items that lists application
specific things.

It can help if you experiment with Speakable Items and also can help if
in the Settings tab you do the Calibrate… feature which can help
Speakable Items better understand your voice and accent.

You can also make some command "Speakable" and you'll find Help on how
to do this in Help.

Then press the Esc key and speak a command.

You may have to experiment with this.

BTW, speakable items has been around on Macintosh for 12 or 14 years.

Denver Dan

On Thu, 15 Mar 2012 11:48:26 -0400, Oneal Neumann wrote:
> To open any application menu, one merely positions the cursor over
> the menu name and clicks. Thereafter one can move laterally to any
> other menu by using the left or right arrow. This only works if the
> original menu window stays open.
>
> QUESTION: How can one open an applicationÂ's menu without having to use
> a cursor? In other words, by just using a keystroke shortcut.
>
> Thanx. Oneal
7d.

Re: menubar question

Posted by: "Otto Nikolaus" otto.nikolaus@googlemail.com   nikyzf

Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:13 pm (PDT)



Small point but surely "^" means the ctrl key?

As an aside, why "*radio* button"? Why not just "button"?

Otto

On 16 March 2012 20:15, Denver Dan <denver.dan@verizon.net> wrote:

> Howdy.
>
> You can launch applications in several ways without using a mouse.
>
> 1. Keyboard method.
>
> Open Keyboard in System Preferences.
>
> In the Keyboard tab, click the check box on for Use all F1, F2, etc.,
> keys as standard function keys.
>
> In the Keyboard Shortcuts tab, click Keyboard & Text Input in left pane
> and note the various keyboard commands in the right hand pane.
>
> The caret symbol "^" means the escape esc key. So if you press Esc F3
> the first item in the Dock will be highlighted. This would be Finder.
> Then press Return and that action is executed (Finder window opens).
>
> After pressing Esc F3, you can then use your arrow keys to move to
> other icons on the Dock.
>
> Esc F2 does the same but with the Menu bar. The Apple Menu is
> highlighted and you can press Return to open it, then down arrow
> pressed for commands. Press Right Arrow to move to the File menu.
>
> 2. Speech. Spoken commands.
>
> Open the Speech panel in System Preferences. Then click Speech
> Recognition tab and clic Speakable Items radio button on.
>
> A new microphone icon will appear on your Desktop. It's round and
> blue/gray and has the Esc command in the center.
>
> Then you have to learn to use Speakable Items. In The Speech panel, in
> the Commands tab, click Open Speakable Items Folder. This will open a
> folder in your home user account (installed by the Mac OS X installer)
> that lists about 37 different voice/speakable commands. Plus a sub
> folder named Application Speakable Items that lists application
> specific things.
>
> It can help if you experiment with Speakable Items and also can help if
> in the Settings tab you do the Calibrate… feature which can help
> Speakable Items better understand your voice and accent.
>
> You can also make some command "Speakable" and you'll find Help on how
> to do this in Help.
>
> Then press the Esc key and speak a command.
>
> You may have to experiment with this.
>
> BTW, speakable items has been around on Macintosh for 12 or 14 years.
>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

7e.

Re: menubar question

Posted by: "Denver Dan" denver.dan@verizon.net   denverdan22180

Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:45 pm (PDT)



Howdy.

You're absolutely right. Sorry. I've been to a computer store 3 times
today in the rain and must have lost my head!

Radio button has been around for a long long time on Macintosh. It
refers to a small round button as opposed to a square or rectangular
button or a check box.

A radio button will usually be one of several radio buttons and you
select one or a different once.

A check box is just that and is somewhat different in how it works.

Radio buttons, check boxes, etc., are even part of FileMaker Pro
database features and of many other programs.

Denver Dan

On Fri, 16 Mar 2012 22:13:17 +0000, Otto Nikolaus wrote:
> Small point but surely "^" means the ctrl key?
>
> As an aside, why "*radio* button"? Why not just "button"?
>
> Otto

8a.

NPR Retracts Negative Story Foxconn Factory

Posted by: "Denver Dan" denver.dan@verizon.net   denverdan22180

Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:58 pm (PDT)



Howdy.

Today Ira Glass, host of the National Public Radio (supplies material
to most public radio stations in the United States) daily program "This
American Life" retracted a program that was broadcast on January 6,
2012.

The story was named "Mr. Daisey Goes to the Apple Factory" and was
extremely critical of working conditions at the Chinese Foxconn factory
in Shenzen (worth noting that Foxconn also makes devices for many other
electronic and computer makers).

The radio story was by a man named Mike Daisey who did a one-man show
called "The Agony and the Ecstasy of Steve Jobs."

NPR's Ira Glass posted that the program was retracted because it was
"partially fabricated," "contained significant fabrications," and added
that, "We're horrified to have let something like this onto public
radio."

Do a search for more info. This story is on almost every major online
news outlet.

Denver Dan

8b.

Re: NPR Retracts Negative Story Foxconn Factory

Posted by: "Harry Flaxman" harry.flaxman@me.com   hflaxman001

Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:05 pm (PDT)



On 3/16/2012 3:58 PM, Denver Dan wrote:
> Howdy.
>
> Today Ira Glass, host of the National Public Radio (supplies material
> to most public radio stations in the United States) daily program "This
> American Life" retracted a program that was broadcast on January 6,
> 2012.
>
> The story was named "Mr. Daisey Goes to the Apple Factory" and was
> extremely critical of working conditions at the Chinese Foxconn factory
> in Shenzen (worth noting that Foxconn also makes devices for many other
> electronic and computer makers).
>
> The radio story was by a man named Mike Daisey who did a one-man show
> called "The Agony and the Ecstasy of Steve Jobs."
>
> NPR's Ira Glass posted that the program was retracted because it was
> "partially fabricated," "contained significant fabrications," and added
> that, "We're horrified to have let something like this onto public
> radio."
>
> Do a search for more info. This story is on almost every major online
> news outlet.

The hatemongers are still around. A video this morning taken of the NYC
iPad 3 rollout featured protesters demanding that Apple do something
about the Foxconn plant in China. Day late and dollar short methinks!!

I laughed my butt off. Some people just look for trouble.

On a similar note, a video of the rollout in Boston featured the first
person in line being interviewed saying that the iPad is a
disappointment to him as it isn't a creative tool. Huh??? Photoshop on
iOS. Artists creating graphic paintings galore!!! Maybe Google paid
this guy to say what he said and be where he was. Why else be first in
line if not to ensure securing the device. Huh???

Harry

8c.

Re: NPR Retracts Negative Story Foxconn Factory

Posted by: "Tod Hopkins" hoplist@hillmanncarr.com   todhop

Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:32 pm (PDT)



On Mar 16, 2012, at 4:05 PM, Harry Flaxman wrote:
> The hatemongers are still around. A video this morning taken of the NYC
> iPad 3 rollout featured protesters demanding that Apple do something
> about the Foxconn plant in China.

One unethical reporter does not invalidate all reporting on this subject. Ira did not break the "Foxconn story." It's been under intense scrutiny for years.

Cheers,
tod

Tod Hopkins
Hillmann & Carr Inc.
todhopkins@hillmanncarr.com

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Recent Activity
Visit Your Group
Sell Online

Start selling with

our award-winning

e-commerce tools.

Yahoo! Finance

It's Now Personal

Guides, news,

advice & more.

New business?

Get new customers.

List your web site

in Yahoo! Search.

Need to Reply?

Click one of the "Reply" links to respond to a specific message in the Daily Digest.

Create New Topic | Visit Your Group on the Web